• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I still believe that the lack of Isaac AT in Smash 4 was because he was considered as potential DLC at the time but didn't end up being one for various reasons.
To be honest this is what I have been thinking, we know the shift changed from Smash 4 to Ultimate around the end of 2015 so maybe the did the same they did with the ballot meaning they kept everything they had started or planned to introduce it in the new game instead of in 4 that was slightly condemned by the Wii U's poor sales.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, at least it's not the third day in Termina again in this thread.

Moodwise, I mean
Tell me about it, it feels disheartening to see the Shantae thread's unity slowly crumble into dust.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, even if Isaac didn't perform well enough to become playable, then he should at least have done enough to get his AT brought back if Shovel Knight was able to get one. The fact that we've not seen that AT return after three rounds of Smash news is suspicious to me, and if we get to the base game without seeing him, I'm going to believe he's being planned as DLC.

Setting myself up for disappointment I may be, but we've seen tons of fans come from the shadows in response to all this hype. It leads me to believe there were a lot of quiet voters for Isaac that we just didn't see. If those fan polls are even somewhat reflective, then objectively speaking, Isaac should've earned something in this game. Only getting old songs return or even nothing at all would have me narrowing my eyes with suspicion.
There's also the fact that he's big in France (as Vlad, but that's besides the point).

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
To be honest this is what I have been thinking, we know the shift changed from Smash 4 to Ultimate around the end of 2015 so maybe the did the same they did with the ballot meaning they kept everything they had started or planned to introduce it in the new game instead of in 4 that was slightly condemned by the Wii U's poor sales.
My thoughts exactly, knowing Ultimate was coming Sakurai would have wanted to keep his best bullets.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
There's also the fact that he's big in France (as Vlad, but that's besides the point).
Yeah, his European popularity really shouldn't be understated. Spain and France both still love him a ton after all these years. I wanna say I heard he might have some decent popularity in Brazil, Mexico, and/or Germany? The latter of which I'm surprised don't have their own unique translation of Isaac's name.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
My thoughts exactly, knowing Ultimate was coming Sakurai would have wanted to keep his best bullets.
Man I really hope so… My top 3 wishes are Isaac Geno and skull kid but i would be happy if at least the first two make it in.

Last edited:

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
We are the most popular support thread on this website for both a character and a SERIES that hasn't been confirmed yet to be in this game. If anyone has a good chance, it's us. We should try not to get too down as of recent as that will only add to our misery. We just got to relax. The sky is NOT falling. The moon is still in the sky. The moon wedding has yet to occur. The darkness is still kept at bay in the outlands. The nexus has not yet fallen. The Golden Sun is not gone forever. WE JUST NEED TO NOT LOSE HOPE.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
We are the most popular support thread on this website for both a character and a SERIES that hasn't been confirmed yet to be in this game. If anyone has a good chance, it's us. We should try not to get too down as of recent as that will only add to our misery. We just got to relax. The sky is NOT falling. The moon is still in the sky. The moon wedding has yet to occur. The darkness is still kept at bay in the outlands. The nexus has not yet fallen. The Golden Sun is not gone forever. WE JUST NEED TO NOT LOSE HOPE.
Two days ago: Moon in the sky? Darn, clearly proof a werewolf took our spot.

Keep calm and post about Isaac, essentially

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
This is a bit silly. If Sakurai had no interest in Golden Sun, he would never have added Isaac as an assist in Brawl in the first place. Once again Smash 4 not only had a console version, but a handheld to cater to. A lot of things got altered or cut, even characters like Ice Climbers and Pokemon trainer.

When Lucas got cut, I didn't get why a series with only two reps, now got reduced to one. At the time I thought why Lucas? I wondered if it was because he was a lower priority semi clone, like the fan mentality always claimed. When he was brought back, Sakurai mentions how Lucas' Final Smash had to be altered because of the limitations of the 3ds and now I feel that's why he was on the chopping block to begin with.

I feel something similar happened with Isaac, why add a song and then cut an assist trophy in return? Until Sakurai talks about Isaac, we'll never know. But it won't be because Sakurai hates a character or any other fan mentality like how people always said Toon Link was on the chopping block cuase he was a clone that Sakurai hates, only for him to get confirmed again in 4.
I've had multiple theories about Isaac's absence. I've narrowed it down to three theories.
1. Isaac was considered very early in the planning stages. But was dropped because Sakurai had picked only 1 JRPG franchise that was released in 2010. (Xenoblade.) and because Nintendo thought he was a low priority character in the same way Takamaru is.
2. His assist trophy was cut because the 3DS couldn't store the same amount of data that the Wii could, or his ability Move was just too much to handle.
3. During the ballot, I feel like a lot of the characters were already chosen for DLC, reguardless of the ballot. Bayonetta was only said to have "won" because they had already planned it in advance, and didn't want a huge backlash.

That's why you're seeing way less relevant characters this time around. I think Nintendo was so restrictive during the development of 4. The 3DS couldn't have been Sakurai's Idea. Nintendo had to have demanded it, along with a lot of the characters in order to promote their individual franchises through smash.

God, Smash 4 3DS was such a mistake.

Edit: Earthbound wasn't the only series that got demoted in the amount of fighters. That was also Star Fox.

Last edited:

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, his European popularity really shouldn't be understated. Spain and France both still love him a ton after all these years. I wanna say I heard he might have some decent popularity in Brazil, Mexico, and/or Germany? The latter of which I'm surprised don't have their own unique translation of Isaac's name.
I just come to confirm once again that he is popular in Latin America as well, specially Mexico, but he is popular all around (I am Venezuelan, as I have said before but I live in Mexico so I have come in contact with both markets) Isaac would make a lot of Latins feel heard and loved! A lot of us voted for him on the ballot (repeatedly ahaha)

ferioku

Smash Ace
This is a bit silly. If Sakurai had no interest in Golden Sun, he would never have added Isaac as an assist in Brawl in the first place. Once again Smash 4 not only had a console version, but a handheld to cater to. A lot of things got altered or cut, even characters like Ice Climbers and Pokemon trainer.

When Lucas got cut, I didn't get why a series with only two reps, now got reduced to one. At the time I thought why Lucas? I wondered if it was because he was a lower priority semi clone, like the fan mentality always claimed. When he was brought back, Sakurai mentions how Lucas' Final Smash had to be altered because of the limitations of the 3ds and now I feel that's why he was on the chopping block to begin with.

I feel something similar happened with Isaac, why add a song and then cut an assist trophy in return? Until Sakurai talks about Isaac, we'll never know. But it won't be because Sakurai hates a character or any other fan mentality like how people always said Toon Link was on the chopping block cuase he was a clone that Sakurai hates, only for him to get confirmed again in 4.
I agree with you, but what I'm trying to say is we never know until proven otherwise. I mean there are a lot of(I'm truly sorry but) underwhelming and undeserving characters that have been placed in as a higher priority. Even clones take up a decent ammount of space because they aren't truly the same character because of dynamics and game physics...

Now i do admit that I will eat my wprds until proven otherwise and my opinion will always remain 50/50 because we neber know what Sakurai or even Nintendo are thinking.

There is one thing that i believe, and that is that Isaac did great in the ballot. He has a lot of things going for him and he is most definitely one of the better known brawl Assist trophies, which is why I am confused to why he was removed in Sm4sh.

One thing about me is, i dont like being oblivious, at this point just show us the roster so I don't have to look at these annoying leaks anymore. That "final two" leak has gotten me a bit stressed and there is always a possibility of the leak being true...

Q-Long

Smash Lord
I produced a poll earlier today, but didn't post it in here because the responses would have been padded out with Golden Sun.

It was essentially, "Which Dormant / Dead Nintendo Franchises do you want to be revive? Pick 8". Unfortunately I some how left out some, like Pikmin (Which would have been pretty high) and Code Name Steam.

Here are the top results... for some reason this site doesn't give a link for results... only a pdf download.

Talking about undeserving characters...
Of course it's just as a joke.
I love Corrin cause he's qt, but man that bomb thing made me laugh real good.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Talking about undeserving characters...
Of course it's just as a joke.
"Killed a god just because it was in the way of his ship."
Kek.

I produced a poll earlier today, but didn't post it in here because the responses would have been padded out with Golden Sun.

It was essentially, "Which Dormant / Dead Nintendo Franchises do you want to be revive? Pick 8". Unfortunately I some how left out some, like Pikmin (Which would have been pretty high) and Code Name Steam.

Here are the top results... for some reason this site doesn't give a link for results... only a pdf download.

That's quite good that both F-Zero and Golden Sun are on top. :3 My favorites.

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I wish I could like this Felix vs Corrin comparison more than once. I would add "Felix protect his sister" and "Corrin is involved in incestious relashionship with his sisters" to the overwhelming list.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038

I would be cool to see the top 5 return for this decade.
There's a lot of potential for these 5 to have sequels and spin-offs, hopefully Nintendo sees this.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I would be cool to see the top 5 return for this decade.
There's a lot of potential for these 5 to have sequels and spin-offs, hopefully Nintendo sees this.
I only probably see a Mother 1 remake in Mother's future.

The creator has finished his series. And I feel like it's a lot better than being put on a cliffhanger.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

The creator has finished his series. And I feel like it's a lot better than being put on a cliffhanger.
Agreed. Mother is one of my favorites but it doesn't need a sequel. Mother 3 ended on a great note and I don't want to potentially disrupt that if a forth game doesn't have Itoi involved. An official Mother 3 localization would satisfy me, even if a Beginnings remake and a Ninten echo would be even better.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Agreed. Mother is one of my favorites but it doesn't need a sequel. Mother 3 ended on a great note and I don't want to potentially disrupt that if a forth game doesn't have Itoi involved. An official Mother 3 localization would satisfy me, even if a Beginnings remake and a Ninten echo would be even better.
Like. I could see Nintendo letting a company like Level 5 or even monolith create a remake of Mother. (As much as I like it, the others had improved so much, that it's actually kinda dated.)

But making a remake would give Mother a good boost of popularity, and give Ninten some more love in the states. As I do like the concept of the story it presents.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038

He did indeed say that, but he also mentioned that he wouldn't mind if someone took the mantle,
also Mother 1 remake would honestly be awesome.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Like. I could see Nintendo letting a company like Level 5 or even monolith create a remake of Mother. (As much as I like it, the others had improved so much, that it's actually kinda dated.)

But making a remake would give Mother a good boost of popularity, and give Ninten some more love in the states. As I do like the concept of the story it presents.
You know, I wouldn't mind seeing what Level 5 of Yo-Kai Watch could do with Beginnings. I'm not sure if I'd really like voice acting or anything to be included in the series. Just improve the graphical style, mechanics, pace, and maybe even diversify some of the character designs like Ninten and Ana since they're so similar to their EarthBound counterparts.

He did indeed say that, but he also mentioned that he wouldn't mind if someone took the mantle,
also Mother 1 remake would honestly be awesome.
I'm just worried that somebody wouldn't be able to live up to that unique Itoi charm, but with all of the various inspirations like Undertale and LISA, there are probably people who can do that. If Itoi could have a successor that matches the quality, then sure! Let EarthBound become a big active IP for Nintendo!

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

I have to second the motion of male Corrin being a cutie. He's a complete dunderhead in the story, hard to refute that, but like his supports are so adorable, especially the one with Forrest. Female Corn on the other hand, I played as her and married Kaden. And when you come back to your tree house thing he has a line where he says how he didn't touch anything just like she asked! Oftentimes she acts like a complete diva in her s supports.

When Odin tries to propose she doesn't want to hear a word of it till he 'talks normal'. Dwyer puts a ring in her cup as a cute proposal and she has a knee jerk reaction and even says a bad word to my surprise LOL. I legit feel sorry for forcing some of these guys to marry her lol.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
You know, I wouldn't mind seeing what Level 5 of Yo-Kai Watch could do with Beginnings. I'm not sure if I'd really like voice acting or anything to be included in the series. Just improve the graphical style, mechanics, pace, and maybe even diversify some of the character designs like Ninten and Ana since they're so similar to their EarthBound counterparts.

I'm just worried that somebody wouldn't be able to live up to that unique Itoi charm, but with all of the various inspirations like Undertale and LISA, there are probably people who can do that. If Itoi could have a successor that matches the quality, then sure! Let EarthBound become a big active IP for Nintendo!
I think modernizing the design and changing up Ninten would be better for recognition, and to keep people from mistaking one for the other.

As for capturing the charm of the original. Unlike creating a new game, most of the ideas are already on the platter. But like any chef, they have to put some spices, and add some incredigents to make it feel fresh and new.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I think modernizing the design and changing up Ninten would be better for recognition, and to keep people from mistaking one for the other.

As for capturing the charm of the original. Unlike creating a new game, most of the ideas are already on the platter. But like any chef, they have to put some spices, and add some incredigents to make it feel fresh and new.
Oh, I meant that I was concerned about potential sequels being able to replicate Itoi's charm, not a Beginnings remake. There'd probably be only minor changes in Beginnings' script since it's a good translation for its time. Maybe they'll add some more video game references and give the already present humor a little extra personality since it's not quite as flavorful as its sequels.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525

All I see on this list is potential. Plain and simple. If an NOA rep is, for some reason, viewing this thread, take some notes.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Ok yep, I feel more confident again after sleeping. I've developed an opinion that the last couple reveals are kept under super lock and key, maybe even the case of only the top level developers of the game know that they are in, to completely prevent leaks, if that's plausible.
So I wager it's like this:
Inkling
Revealing all old chars + Echo reveal + Ridley
Simon/Richter + More Echoes + K Rool
Isabelle
Incineroar + More Echoes + ????
???? + Final Echoes + ????
That's my final guess.

4. Geno stage. I have never played his games but I'm sure there's some kind of location they can make into a stage. I do think he'll be in this because if they were capable of getting a costume, they can surely get the puppet himself.
As someone familiar with the game, my guess is either Forest Maze, where Geno joins your party, or Star Hill, which is a super unique location from the game. They're probably the most distinctive locations in that game.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if you guys have seen this but I think it is pretty sweet and heart-lifting

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
He's big in all of Europe, especially as Vlad and (I think) Hans in Germany.
He is Isaac here in germany too.
But you are absolutely right, we did a poll recently here in germany which Isaac won by far.
Even Felix came out on 4th place for echo choices.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
He is Isaac here in germany too.
But you are absolutely right, we did a poll recently here in germany which Isaac won by far.
Even Felix came out on 4th place for echo choices.
It is good to know that Isaac is universally supported regardless of the name changes. Getting Felix as an Echo would be icing on the cake.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
I don't know if you guys have seen this but I think it is pretty sweet and heart-lifting
Makes me wonder what adepts the Smash cast would be

Earth
-Ivysaur
-Donkey Kong
-Wario
-Lucario
-Bayonetta

Fire
-Mario
-Luigi
-Captain Falcon
-Ryu