• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I was sure I saw it but I can't find, so probably it was a mistake. Sorry ^^'

From March, if I'm not wrong. The guy who conducted the survey does it annualy, This is the last year results: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/656gmj/after_over_1700_votes_its_done_here_are/ It ranked 37th.

The important thing is, considering the Nintendo Switch reddit is crowded by very casual people, Golden Sun ranked top 20, and a few comments of the topic highlithed it (it was the 2nd comment with more votes, if I see correctly).
Do you have a link to the comments for this one?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Oh, those comments are so great.

I want to bring back #GoldenSunrise.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It does give me hope that there are more Golden Sun fans out there than I think....

and that maybe the "silent majority" ended up actually supporting Isaac (and Golden Sun in general) in the ballot.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It does give me hope that there are more Golden Sun fans out there than I think....

and that maybe the "silent majority" ended up actually supporting Isaac (and Golden Sun in general) in the ballot.
I think it's particularly heartening that Golden Sun was the #3 choice of people's Top Picks. So, in something like the ballot, where only one vote counts...

We're even higher up there.

We can only hope these results are representative, though.

KMDP

Smash Legend
View attachment 150709
Does this top 20 list match you guys?
No... not really. I haven't even played most of the games in the Golden Sun list.

I like how Persona and Golden Sun are 'top five' but Castlevania is 'top seven'. :laugh:

The Persona list description notes 'Digimon Story', was there a Digimon Story Top 20? Did they make top 20 in anyone elses lists? Asking for... reasons. XD

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I think it's particularly heartening that Golden Sun was the #3 choice of people's Top Picks. So, in something like the ballot, where only one vote counts...

We're even higher up there.

We can only hope these results are representative, though.
That huge Reddit poll gave me a lot of hope but I really do wonder how far Isaac's fanbase reaches beyond it and into the more casual audience. 25k? 50k? 100k? When does Isaac start to become "obscure"?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’ve heard a lot of people say that even though they never played Golden Sun, they want Isaac in Smash because he deserves it or because of his moveset potential.

I think Isaac is pretty well known amongst the casual crowd, as a Smash candidate.

KMDP

Smash Legend
That huge Reddit poll gave me a lot of hope but I really do wonder how far Isaac's fanbase reaches beyond it and into the more casual audience. 25k? 50k? 100k? When does Isaac start to become "obscure"?
I’ve heard a lot of people say that even though they never played Golden Sun, they want Isaac in Smash because he deserves it or because of his moveset potential.

I think Isaac is pretty well known amongst the casual crowd, as a Smash candidate.
It's almost like Golden Sun was one of the best selling GBA games or something! :laugh:
There are probably lots of people around my age (27) who played and remember Golden Sun and want to see it come back.

Smash's GBA reps can't just be Toon Link (partially), Zero Suit Samus (partially) and Lucas!

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
It's almost like Golden Sun was one of the best selling GBA games or something! :laugh:
There are probably lots of people around my age (27) who played and remember Golden Sun and want to see it come back.

Smash's GBA reps can't just be Toon Link (partially), Zero Suit Samus (partially) and Lucas!
I didn't frequent Smash forums and had no idea any one else even cared about Isaac back in Brawl days. I was super excited about his AT and most of my friends back then knew who he was and were excited to see him too. I think people overestimate how much of Isaac fandom is Smash bubble. It's not like Sin & Punishment where I can't deny that most people haven't heard of it much less played it. Golden Sun was legitimately really popular when it was out.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

Don't forget Roy our boy I've enjoyed reading all the statistics because it's strengthening my hope. My concern was always, "Were those games too long ago and was Brawl+Dark Dawn not enough exposure in between 17 years to keep Isaac from not being known/wanted enough?".

Last edited:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Oh yeah, he was hugely popular back in the Brawl days, up there with K. Rool and Ridley, so it's no surprise he's still hugely popular now.

It's hard being a fan of a franchise with great games, but nothing new ever comes out for it.

I'm just hoping for this game they go more for representation from Nintendo's past rather than Nintendo's present.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Don't forget Roy our boy
:facepalm: Of couse, thanks. (Kinda shows I think of Roy as a Melee character, huh?)
I've enjoyed reading all the statistics because it's strengthening my hope. My concern was always, "Were those games too long ago and was Brawl+Dark Dawn not enough exposure in between 17 years to keep Isaac from not being known/wanted enough?".
One can only hope.

Enchess

Smash Lord
If Isaac gets in it's gonna be hilarious to see articles on game news sites every year like "Where was Golden Sun at E3?" like we get for F-Zero every year. I swear Smash Bros is the only reason people act like F-Zero is a particularly notable omission.

KMDP

Smash Legend
If Isaac gets in it's gonna be hilarious to see articles on game news sites every year like "Where was Golden Sun at E3?" like we get for F-Zero every year. I swear Smash Bros is the only reason people act like F-Zero is a particularly notable omission.
Mother can attribute most of it's popularity to Smash, too. Also, :marthmelee::roymelee:.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Mother can attribute most of it's popularity to Smash, too. Also, :marthmelee::roymelee:.
To be fair, Kid Icarus got into the limelight too after Brawl dropped, so you occasionally see people expecting sequels for KI after Uprising's release.

Last edited:

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice

I mean, even in the near smash reddit survey when they announced Smash 5 he still was in the top 10 (he was 6), and he was the second one if we only counted the most wanted.
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/89n2gq/official_rsmashbros_smash_switch_character/

Obviously, he's not the top contender or the most wanted. But at least, he's still there despite not having the same support as other ones (like the Indies ones whose creators were practically begging for a vote, having some games recently in that time or were acknowledged by the developers like the DK crew).

I'm just hoping for this game they go more for representation from Nintendo's past rather than Nintendo's present.
I hope that. I really want they focus on the forgotten IPs, in terms of trophys or ATs, at least. As I said before, if they won't use "x" character as a newcomer, and have no plans to include it as DLC, I would prefer putting them in some way.

Personally, I would love a "mini wikipedia" where they introduce all the existant IPs presented in the new entry and put some info of the game/s, like Jump Ultimate Stars did with their mangas.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
I saw some people talking about discord channels in the K. Rool thread.

Does Isaac have a discord channel?
I don't think there's a Discord channel specifically for Isaac, but we do have a Discord for the Golden Sun subreddit.
And I need to get Discord so I can participate to it now that I talk about it. :drohmy:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ah, Saturos02's Golden Sun covers. You guys should look into them, this guy's stuff is pretty great.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Custom moves would've been a great concept to introduce with Isaac's insane moveset pool if he were in SSB4. It could've been something they used to incorporate Djinn to give Isaac brand new specials ala Palutena.

Though I'm mostly happy they seem to be gone, I'll always wonder what they could've done for Isaac's moveset back then and also for the future.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Custom moves would've been a great concept to introduce with Isaac's insane moveset pool if he were in SSB4. It could've been something they used to incorporate Djinn to give Isaac brand new specials ala Palutena.

Though I'm mostly happy they seem to be gone, I'll always wonder what they could've done for Isaac's moveset back then and also for the future.
Oh, lordy. One can only imagine the insanity. XD

D

Deleted member

View attachment 150756
It was probably nothing. You don’t just delay an announcement like that.
Absurdist comment, but I think it'd be better if they were bundled in a Microsoft DLC package, along with Master Chief and a Killer Instinct fighter (either Jago it Fulgore).

With a more openness to allow cross play for big online games like Fortnite and Minecraft, it would be a huge shocker to the gaming world.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Oh, lordy. One can only imagine the insanity. XD
Too bad they never went through with adding in a third custom move variant for every character like they planned. Then it could get really insane for Isaac, where literally every element could have its own special move.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
View attachment 150709
Does this top 20 list match you guys?
Chrono is a tad too low, Chrono Trigger is legendary among JRPGs.

Lack of Fire Emblem disappoints me, but Wars is placed appropriately high according to my likings. Haven't played Persona or Animal Crossing, but otherwise the other games do pop up in my favourites from time to time, so the list isn't that bad.

Also I'm a huge Monster Hunter junkie (or atleast was) so that would also probably rise a lot of places xD

I also like a lotta action games that are not RPGs, so guess that genre is missing.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Chrono is a tad too low, Chrono Trigger is legendary among JRPGs.

Lack of Fire Emblem disappoints me, but Wars is placed appropriately high according to my likings. Haven't played Persona or Animal Crossing, but otherwise the other games do pop up in my favourites from time to time, so the list isn't that bad.

Also I'm a huge Monster Hunter junkie (or atleast was) so that would also probably rise a lot of places xD

I also like a lotta action games that are not RPGs, so guess that genre is missing.
This is only counting series that were not yet announced to be on the Switch. Fire Emblem had been announced (though not yet shown off) before this poll was taken, so it wasn't even considered.

You should give Persona a shot, though. Great RPGs. Well, the first one did not age well at all, and finding the two parts of Persona 2 can be pretty tough. So just play 3-5. Worth it.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
This is only counting series that were not yet announced to be on the Switch. Fire Emblem had been announced (though not yet shown off) before this poll was taken, so it wasn't even considered.

You should give Persona a shot, though. Great RPGs. Well, the first one did not age well at all, and finding the two parts of Persona 2 can be pretty tough. So just play 3-5. Worth it.
Ah I see. Well Fire Emblem would place alongside Wars, maybe one spot lower.

Persona has definitely been on my list since ages, just that I often find other games that take precedence and I end up playing those first xD

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's why i didn't want a new smash with sakurai at the helm because that man is talented and he could be useing it on something else
Only small problem is that he's been allergic to sequels ever since he left the Kirby series, to the point that the studio made for developing Uprising was immediately disbanded after the game's release. It's a wonder they managed to keep him on Smash for so long (most likely for tradition reasons).

I mean, you can also joke about Treasure not wanting to do sequels, but at least they have the excuse of not being able to live up to the first games in their series.

To that person, it's more convenient to go after Persona 2 on PSP, Sunglasses Hitler and all.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Only small problem is that he's been allergic to sequels ever since he left the Kirby series, to the point that the studio made for developing Uprising was immediately disbanded after the game's release. It's a wonder they managed to keep him on Smash for so long (most likely for tradition reasons).

I mean, you can also joke about Treasure not wanting to do sequels, but at least they have the excuse of not being able to live up to the first games in their series.

To that person, it's more convenient to go after Persona 2 on PSP, Sunglasses Hitler and all.
true i always forget that he's not into doing sequels but he's so talented I wish he did just imagine Uprising 2 is just amazing

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
Considering that what Sakurai, he does it with a passion I am positive the game would turn out pretty good... I am slowly but surely becoming over the years a Sakurai fan (not Miyamoto level yet but hey, Sakurai is young he has many years to show off his talent)!

Top Bottom