• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
i don't know why but i feel Isacc and K rool have a shot this time around call it blind hope i guess

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
So going by how Ike turned out in Ultimate, if Isaac got in would we expect teen and adult skins for him as well?
I don't really think Adult Isaac would be included as a skin. They'd probably make the skins focused on the other protagonists like Matthew and Felix similar to the way Alph works for Olimar or as echo fighters
Assuming Isaac does make the cut, I'm hoping Felix will be Isaac's Echo Fighter, with Matthew being Isaac's alternate skin. That would be the perfect way to represent all three games. At least, I think so. As for Adult Isaac, I think it would be cool if they made a costume of Young Isaac wearing Adult Isaac's clothes.

The only consensus I've ever seen regarding Isaac's moveset is the FS would be a Summon. And even then it's never been unanimous, as I've heard suggestions for the Megiddo unleash and even Odyssey.

Most people seem to agree the giant hand will be present. Possibly as Move, possible in the grabs/throws, sometimes even as Catch for recovery or something. I'd concur over its likeliness; that seems to be something Sakurai associates with Isaac, which is kind of funny considering before the AT, I don't think people really even entertained that utility stuff being part of the moveset, given how much Isaac has to work with.

And that myriad of potential moves really makes each moveset distinct. There's just so much to work with.
Now that we know Final Smashes get right to the point, I think Isaac's Final Smash should definitely be Judgment, since it associates with his element. Among all the level-four summons in the first Golden Sun, Judgment is arguably the most iconic. Like Ridley's Final Smash, Judgment could be like a cutscene. If Felix got in as an Echo Fighter, I think his Final Smash should be Catastrophe.

Personally, I'd like to see Isaac's moveset being a mix of both utility and battle psynergy. In one moveset I wrote (I've gotten a lot better, thanks to MYM), Isaac stands, walks, and runs exactly like he does outside of battle. He always has his sword sheathed, only using it for a few attacks. For his jab, he hits the enemy with magick, similar to how Zelda does. For his Djinn, I thought of something very similar to Shulk's new Monado menu, prior to E3. I also thought of a way to use both Djinni Unleashes and level-one Summons in one move. Unleashing Djinn, however, affects certain stats, depending on which Djinni was unleashed. He has four Djinn, one of each element.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Assuming Isaac does make the cut, I'm hoping Felix will be Isaac's Echo Fighter, with Matthew being Isaac's alternate skin. That would be the perfect way to represent all three games. At least, I think so. As for Adult Isaac, I think it would be cool if they made a costume of Young Isaac wearing Adult Isaac's clothes.

Now that we know Final Smashes get right to the point, I think Isaac's Final Smash should definitely be Judgment, since it associates with his element. Among all the level-four summons in the first Golden Sun, Judgment is arguably the most iconic. Like Ridley's Final Smash, Judgement could be like a cutscene. If Felix got in as an Echo Fighter, I think his Final Smash should be Catastrophe.
Felix would be awesome as an echo fighter, I even made an extra splash screen for him

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/Ruben_dal/status/1013925354682101760

Wanted to bring this to your guys' attention since it brings up an interesting point of discussion. Basically, this implicates that the Ballot had no influence on Smash 4 at all (Ike and ZSS' parameters being copied into these blank slots point to Cloud and Bayo).

This could impact Isaac because now the evidence is suggesting what a lot of us have been suspecting: Top ballot winners were being saved for this game. It also means Bayo wasn't as high up as Sakurai indicated. I myself was worried that more characters like her could have quiet but big fanbases and could snipe the top spots from those speculated to be popular (K. Rool, Isaac, Banjo, etc.), but this makes that seem more unrealistic.

If the ballot was really meant entirely for Ultimate all along, perhaps that's what the entirety of its newcomer pool will be from. If so, that means more from the list chosen and more chances for Isaac.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Made a huge post on the General Smash Ultimate Discussion thread with contains a hypothetical project proposal for Isaac, since I thought you guys might like to read it, I'll post a link here.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Made a huge post on the General Smash Ultimate Discussion thread with contains a hypothetical project proposal for Isaac, since I thought you guys might like to read it, I'll post a link here.
Stage manipulation would be sick. We don't have a fighter like that at all (words I've said about Isaac who knows how many times now). The closest thing is stage control/zoning with projectiles like the Inklings, but structural change fits an earth-based fighter.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Stage manipulation would be sick. We don't have a fighter like that at all (words I've said about Isaac who knows how many times now). The closest thing is stage control/zoning with projectiles like the Inklings, but structural change fits an earth-based fighter.
The perfect counter to the claim that "Isaac would just be another sword user".

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
The perfect counter to the claim that "Isaac would just be another sword user".
People don't always visit the support threads, so I've been thinking we needed a thread where people could suggest movesets and mechanics for characters to persuade people of their uniqueness. This project proposal seems like the perfect concept for it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Wanted to bring this to your guys' attention since it brings up an interesting point of discussion. Basically, this implicates that the Ballot had no influence on Smash 4 at all (Ike and ZSS' parameters being copied into these blank slots point to Cloud and Bayo).

This could impact Isaac because now the evidence is suggesting what a lot of us have been suspecting: Top ballot winners were being saved for this game. It also means Bayo wasn't as high up as Sakurai indicated. I myself was worried that more characters like her could have quiet but big fanbases and could snipe the top spots from those speculated to be popular (K. Rool, Isaac, Banjo, etc.), but this makes that seem more unrealistic.

If the ballot was really meant entirely for Ultimate all along, perhaps that's what the entirety of its newcomer pool will be from. If so, that means more from the list chosen and more chances for Isaac.
Well, we don’t know the whole story. For one, these guys could be lying. We also don’t know whether that placeholder name specifically referred to Bayo, or if its name wasn’t changed later.
Hell, maybe Bayo was being planned from the beginning, but then actually won the ballot and was announced as such, while the spot originally intended for the ballot winner was given to Corrin.
Too many variables...

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Well, we don’t know the whole story. For one, these guys could be lying. We also don’t know whether that placeholder name specifically referred to Bayo, or if its name wasn’t changed later.
Hell, maybe Bayo was being planned from the beginning, but then actually won the ballot and was announced as such, while the spot originally intended for the ballot winner was given to Corrin.
Too many variables...
The person who revealed this is a software developer and the person who created Kurogane Hammer (resource that lists frame data for all the characters straight from the code). They're definitely legitimate.

None of the characters' names were listed on the slots, but Lucas/Roy/Ryu already had their files inside the code and the two others had parameters/placeholder data built from Ike (which could become Cloud) and Zero Suit (which could become Bayonetta).

Bayo actually winning the ballot while they're already planning her seems really far-fetched and would be an "all stars align" situation; the front runner ahead of all those far more commonly mentioned characters like veterans + K. Rool/Ridley/Isaac when everyone was clearly blindsided by her.

I could believe they saved the veterans and top ballot characters for Ultimate (it was definitely being planned already if the project plan was finished before 2016), and Bayonetta was the top realizable choice of who they had left. It's the same reason that Inklings were likely not in Smash 4 as DLC. They wanted to save these heavy-hitters for the superior console.

Right now, it's true that we don't know enough to say that theory is the truth, but now that we know that Ultimate had been in the works for this long, it becomes more plausible they would want to plan ahead.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
To be honest I really want him to use his sword especially if he gets the Sol Blade. Just because people are going to complain he is a sword user doesn't matter they are going to complain anyways because it's not the character they support so I'd rather him go all out with the Golden Sun than try and Force him to not use weapons just so a few people who won't be satisfied anyways won't complain.

Last edited:

Icana

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've argued in the past how I don't see how they could possibly have waited until the Ballot closed on October 2015 to negotiate the rights with Sega/Platinum Games, do the pre-production work (artwork, planning, moveset, etc), create four character models (two based off Bayo 1&2 for both Wii U and 3DS), do animations, record voices, create a Bayo stage for Wii U and 3DS, and have her revealed at a near complete stage two months later in December of that same year. Bayonetta would have to be simply dominating the Ballot very early in the year for the development on this character, plus Cloud and Corrin (Corrin supposedly was the last character added to the game) who were in development around the same time, to be revealed during the December direct.

Golden Sun 1 probably outsold all of Bayonetta's games on all platforms combined, so I find it hard to think this character had THAT huge of a fanbase to run away with the ballot. Clearly the people who don't play the games would have to be voting for her, which is not that far fetched I suppose, as there are people here who are supporting Isaac's inclusion despite not having played Golden Sun.

Anyway, the point is that Ruben's tweet would make a lot of sense in being true. Regardless though, the Ballot will no doubt have had some kind of influence for the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate project plan. We can only hope now that our Golden Boy did well enough and that Sakurai has decided to have our favorite hero join the battle.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
People don't always visit the support threads, so I've been thinking we needed a thread where people could suggest movesets and mechanics for characters to persuade people of their uniqueness. This project proposal seems like the perfect concept for it.
There've been a couple of "Project Proposals" in the discussion thread (though the idea ultimately lost to the Bayo-Ballot drama). Would you like me to compile them and start a thread for it? I'm open to the idea.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
There've been a couple of "Project Proposals" in the discussion thread (though the idea ultimately got lost to the Bayo-Ballot drama). Would you like me to compile them and start a thread for it? I'm open to the idea.
Definitely! A lot of people would be happy to have it since so many of their characters are constantly dismissed for "no moveset potential".

KMDP

Smash Legend
Definitely! A lot of people would be happy to have it since so many of their characters are constantly dismissed for "no moveset potential".
Great! I'll just have to... move to the home computer and get started (there's no way I'm taking this project on on a Wii U gamepad. XD)

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880

I. Knew. It. Bayonetta was too much of an outsider to suddenly appear "out of nowhere" as THE winner in Europe. I was following a LOT of discussion about Smash Bros back then on French sites (okay we're not all of Europe but still it gives a relatively good clue) and Bayonetta was pretty much inexistant everywhere.

Thank you for sharing this! Now let's hope this helps Isaac a lot.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I. Knew. It. Bayonetta was too much of an outsider to suddenly appear "out of nowhere" as THE winner in Europe. I was following a LOT of discussion about Smash Bros back then on French sites (okay we're not all of Europe but still it gives a relatively good clue) and Bayonetta was pretty much inexistant everywhere.

Thank you for sharing this! Now let's hope this helps Isaac a lot.
Isaac kind of feels like the Dark Horse in this race.
Everyone is expecting K. Rool, Ashley, Geno, Bandana Dee and the like, barely anyone talks about him.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Stage control sounds dope.
Imagine being able to break platforms or edges of a stages or even split them in half.
Would probably be a lot of work since it'd have to be implemented on every stage (or maybe they could just do it for the 'earthy'/ground stages; that would make sense).

I'm not really into a zoning character (maybe Isaac would change my opinion) but environmental manipulation is something I hadn't thought about and it's such a great and unique aspect.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Stage control sounds dope.
Imagine being able to break platforms or edges of a stages or even split them in half.
Would probably be a lot of work since it'd have to be implemented on every stage (or maybe they could just do it for the 'earthy'/ground stages; that would make sense).

I'm not really into a zoning character (maybe Isaac would change my opinion) but environmental manipulation is something I hadn't thought about and it's such a great and unique aspect.
The idea I had was creating blocks/walls (quake), spikes that hurt to walk on (spire) and I guess Gaia would make holes (and you'd be able to use this on the edge to remove the handhold).

The link to the thread is in my Signature, if you'd like to read some more pitches (I just made two more). Others have also made their own.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
For the ballot, I'm now thinking more than ever that it was built for Smash Ultimate. I think they had the DLC already planned, and then realized that with the entire community looking for a ballot winner, they had to provide one. I do think the information we got on her (Top 5 in US [likely #5], and #1 in Europe) is accurate, simply because there's no reason to really lie about that. My belief is that what they did was realize they needed a ballot winner, and looked through the ballot for which of their preplanned DLC characters had the most votes, and then present that character as a ballot winner. IIRC, they didn't actually SAY that Bayonetta got in BECAUSE of the ballot. They just spoke of her placement in it.

This allows them to have their ballot winner to appease the crowds during DLC, while it didn't actually influence the DLC roster AT ALL.

Which means that future ballot characters are even MORE likely... And may be more in line with our polling than had previously been anticipated.

#GoldenSunrise
Bring our boy home, Sakurai.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I guess Gaia would make holes (and you'd be able to use this on the edge to remove the handhold).
Extrapolating on this idea, imagine how stupidly good at Edgeguarding Isaac would be with this ability, especially against characters with bad recovery like Little Mac, you wouldn't even have to leave the stage.

As someone who is quite bad at off stage play, this speaks to me... like, a lot.

Last edited:

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice

We know that Sakurai stated doing a newcomer takes 6 months, at least. So, knowing his original statement, and considering he didn't lied or exaggerated, it was obvious Bayonetta was chosen during April-May.

But, anyways, I always thought Bayonetta was chosen to promote her new game, apart from some popularity. She was popular (maybe not in the smash bros websites like Reddit or Smashboards, but, as far as I'm concerned, she had a strongly campaign in tumblr for example) and also, when the ballot started, people still has in their mind the new game, like nowadays happens with Crash Bandicoot, for example. She was a "dark horse" for the smash websites, but, also, she wasn't a heavy surprise outside there.

Golden Sun 1 probably outsold all of Bayonetta's games on all platforms combined, so I find it hard to think this character had THAT huge of a fanbase to run away with the ballot. Clearly the people who don't play the games would have to be voting for her, which is not that far fetched I suppose, as there are people here who are supporting Isaac's inclusion despite not having played Golden Sun.
It's a bit unfair comparing the sales when the Bayo ones are more recent than Golden Sun. Probably, a lot of people of that million who bought the games aren't active anymore in videogames while the Bayonetta, despite being more less, are more recent, so they could vote for her more easily. Also, despite having bad sales (except Nier 2), Platinum games are always praised and have a huge fanbase in the internet, so probably a lot of peoples could vote for her in spite of not buying the Bayo games.
Well, in Spain/latinoamerican she was chosen twice as the most probably newcomer/most wanted in one of the most seen/popular websites:
Poll of April: http://www.nintenderos.com/2015/05/...l-estos-son-vuestros-candidatos-a-smash-bros/
Poll of December: http://www.nintenderos.com/2015/12/...re-la-presentacion-final-de-super-smash-bros/
Considering we speak the same language, I can see a bunch of votes from the South America countries and Mexico going to Europe, for example.

Btw, trying to be the more objective possible, which were the most discussed characters in the french websites? Do you have some important polls that some webs organizised in that time?

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I'm still not sure how this new news about the ballot changes Isaac's chances, seeing as we already were assuming that he'd only get in via the ballot already, so at least for us it doesn't change anything. We still don't know how many of the ballot characters will be added, nor do we know where Isaac or anyone else placed, but I am hoping he makes it through to playable status (Though if he can't be playable, having his AT would be some recognition).

It would be quite disappointing if it turned out that all the "safe" options and the most popular options like Ashley, King K Rool, etc ended up being the newcomers without any big surprises. And I think Isaac would definitely be a surprise.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm still not sure how this new news about the ballot changes Isaac's chances, seeing as we already were assuming that he'd only get in via the ballot already, so at least for us it doesn't change anything. We still don't know how many of the ballot characters will be added, nor do we know where Isaac or anyone else placed, but I am hoping he makes it through to playable status (Though if he can't be playable, having his AT would be some recognition).

It would be quite disappointing if it turned out that all the "safe" options and the most popular options like Ashley, King K Rool, etc ended up being the newcomers without any big surprises. And I think Isaac would definitely be a surprise.
It does make the myriad exit polls that were done by fans marginally more useful than we thought.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

If Bayonetta was in a patch two weeks after the patch began, she was decided on before the ballot. This means that what we got on Bayonetta was an excuse. I still think it was a truthful one, but it was an excuse. "Realizable" fighters now means "#1 of the characters we already had planned".

This does shed light on a number of small mysteries of the ballot. Was Banjo not "realizable" because it would mean negotiating with Microsoft? Was K. Rool not "realizable" because he was no longer "relevant"? Were the actual winners characters like Shrek and Goku because the Internet is the Internet (which would mean our own polls were drastically off base)?

This lets us know that characters who were ignored from the ballot for DLC were already going to be ignored.

This is primarily a boon for characters who placed higher than Bayonetta. They were not included, not because of any inherent flaw with the character, but because Bayonetta was already chosen. So any character who regularly placed higher than Bayonetta in polls (which includes Isaac) has one less worry gone.

Though it does mean Banjo becomes a little more likely as a competing ballot choice.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace

This. Stuff like this is something I want. It’s good to get some of the perceived really popular requested characters that people expect to get in, but that becomes boring if all the newcomers are just that imo. Isaac is the type of character that seems to have popularity but isn’t really treated as having an “almost guaranteed” shot of making it in as many of these other characters. Him being playable would be a request fulfilled, while also being shocking enough to be a really fun pick. As said before, he’d be a dark horse pick.

D

Deleted member

You know, i wish Isaac had a Mii Costume, that way i could be a little more confident about him in the same way im about K.Rool and Geno.

Anyway, comic of the day:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
In other words, Isaac could be a Geomancer.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

That is REALLY interesting information. If Cloud and Bayonetta were already planned in advance, and they just chose the latter as representation for the ballot winner, that is pretty good for us.

It means that "realizable" character just meant "character we already wanted to add and who was already a decent ranking in the ballot" and not that Isaac placed badly on the poll. It would make the fan polls more credible, the ones that placed Isaac relatively high.

That would make the chances of him getting in Smash Ultimate better as they would use Ballot results elsewhere right?

Thanks for finding this! Makes me more hopeful for Smash Ultimate newcomers being fan favourites, Isaac being among their numbers.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The costumes during the ballot is probably where we want to point are fingers for winners they may be the ones who did the best

Especially geno, king k rool and ashley

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
The costumes during the ballot is probably where we want to point are fingers for winners they may be the ones who did the best

Especially geno, king k rool and ashley
Mii costumes were made for a variety of reasons so how can we definitively say which were added for ballot purposes? Besides, it wouldn't tell the whole story since not every possible winning candidate fits the proportions of a Mii costume. Some of those costumes may become newcomers but it may not be enough to show a pattern.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If that were the case then Takamaru would have been added. His costume even came in the same pack as Ashley's.
That's true. To be honest I don't really remember most of the mii costumes because I didn't buy most of them.

It does feel like the theories about mii costumes indicating what characters will get in is another "Isaacs assist trophy isn't in the game so he must be planned as dlc" type of argument.

As in interpreting the facts just to suit your own desire.

KMDP

Smash Legend
In other words, Isaac could be a Geomancer.
I kinda really want Isaac to be able to create walls and damaging spikes and be able carve chunks out the ground now. It's just so unique and crazy it would make him a very interesting character to play as, and probably a nightmare to fight against if his player is good; imagine being Samus and firing a Charge Shot or Super Missile at him, only for Isaac to create a wall that blocks it. Pikachu? The wall diverts the Thunder Jolt. Etc etc.

It's probably unlikely, but it would be so cool.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I kinda really want Isaac to be able to create walls and damaging spikes and be able carve chunks out the ground now. It's just so unique and crazy it would make him a very interesting character to play as, and probably a nightmare to fight against if his player is good; imagine being Samus and firing a Charge Shot or Super Missile at him, only for Isaac to create a wall that blocks it. Pikachu? The wall diverts the Thunder Jolt. Etc etc.

It's probably unlikely, but it would be so cool.
Sounds like a balancing disaster. You'd have to put some serious cooldown on it or Isaac could just build a giant barrier around him infinitely. It's creative, but Isaac would be more than unique enough with just his Psynergy and Djinn (if possible).

KMDP

Smash Legend
Sounds like a balancing disaster. You'd have to put some serious cooldown on it or Isaac could just build a giant barrier around him infinitely. It's creative, but Isaac would be more than unique enough with just his Psynergy and Djinn (if possible).
Well, yeah, cooldown would be obvious. XD Maybe your can only use each of Isaac's three geomancy specials once each at a time, until a little bit after they vanish.

Place your stage alterations poorly, and you're in for a world of hurt, that kind of thing.

Also, when I mentioned the wall diverting Thunder Jolt, I meant that, because it increases the dustance Thunder Jolt has to travel, it nullifies it because it can't reach Isaac. I didn't mean creating a shell around him, that would be broken. What I mean was a small cube just ahead of Isaac that you can still jump over (unless you're in a stage like Temple or Great Cave Offensive).

Last edited:
Top Bottom