• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
Hey, man. I'm an English teacher and your English is fantastic. Keep it up! What's your native language?
Aw, thanks. I appreciate it!
I'm from spain, so spanish (and also catalan btw).
I'm a huge K. Rool stan and the idea that he would be the next reveal is laughable to me.
Considering the Ridley reveal and the time that the project was planned, I can see being K.Rool the next reveal if the hypothesis of being a fanservice game is true.

So this is the definitive account, isn't it? Be sure to follow the official Camelot account :p (and the different Nintendo's account (Spain, France, UK, Europe, Germany, etc.).
This reddit poll came up again. Interestingly enough, if these were all unique responses, it's one of the largest polls taken, over 10k respondents.
Oh, that reddit poll. Do you remember if you could vote more than one or was just one vote? If it was the later, would be ideal, just in case if Nintendo only kept one vote per IP.

Anyways, giving some attention to the old polls and some webs or videos that included Isaac in their desires would be nice I guess. Even the typical news/videos/content that ask Nintendo to revive Golden Sun.

I mean, we had the "official" poll of Smash Bros reddit they did when Ultimated was announced and Isaac was top 10 (and the second if only we counted the 1st pick). Or the poll they did in the nintendo switch reddit that asked which IP did you wanted in the switch, and golden sun was top 20 or somethig like that. The important thing is highlighted them to avoid the "no one remember that game".

Not that I believe this leak but not all newcomers for the last game were revealed in a direct. Lucina and Robin were revealed in a trailer that was posted to the official website. (though we did get confirmation it would be going up a day or so before, so it wasn't completely random)
PacMan was also revealed outside a direct. IIRC, he was revealed during a press conference post E3. And WFT, though she was revealed during the treehouse I think.

What a shame it would be if that inexplicable yet common little misspelling hindered Isaac's placement on the ballot due to the algorithm recognizing the entries as separate characters.
Half of the characters talked about have made up names yet people get tripped up on a real one like Isaac...
I can see them reading: "we have a lot of names for a Golden Sun character but none of them stood out. Why did they ask for Issac, Hans, Vlad and Robin but not for Isaac?"

While we can be confident that every single person voting in that poll voted on the ballot, the concern for Isaac lies in within the other 1m+ people. Are they as hardcore of fans as these voters and would know a character potentially more obscure like Isaac? Would they instead vote for characters in more well-known and relevant series like K. Rool. Shadow, or Ashley? Would many of them instead vote for curveballs with surprisingly large fanbases like Bayonetta? There's a lot that could potentially downplay Isaac's placement when you add in a larger audience.
I was off during May-June because I didn't want to spoil the new smash entry (sadly, with the internet is impossible. I couldn't avoid to see the newcomers...). But why everyone now is saying that Ashley is likely? I mean, she could be popular in Japan (and I would like to see that, because it could happen like Takamaru, that is more popular in the west than Japan because someone said he was heavily requested in Japan xD), but in the west she's completly unknown). And she was an AT when they did the poll, so it could happen like Waluigi, that few people vote him because he already had a role in the game... (though that didn't stop Ridley to enter this game, but Ridley fans were another level tbh).

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Considering the Ridley reveal and the time that the project was planned, I can see being K.Rool the next reveal if the hypothesis of being a fanservice game is true.
I just don't think he would be next because then you've pretty much blown your biggest hype wads out the door. I feel he will be a mid-late reveal.

...please prove me wrong, Sakurai.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm thinking K. Rool will be the final reveal.

...Unless Banjo gets in. He's the only other one I could see taking the final slot.

Despite his popularity (which hopefully is up as high as that poll makes it seem to be), I think Isaac would be somewhere in between.

But, heck. Smash 4's final reveal was what, Shulk?

KMDP

Smash Legend
I just don't think he would be next because then you're pretty much blown your biggest hype wads out the door. I feel he will be a mid-late reveal.

...please prove me wrong, Sakurai.
I can think of one super-hype character they could pull near release...
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I was off during May-June because I didn't want to spoil the new smash entry (sadly, with the internet is impossible. I couldn't avoid to see the newcomers...). But why everyone now is saying that Ashley is likely? I mean, she could be popular in Japan (and I would like to see that, because it could happen like Takamaru, that is more popular in the west than Japan because someone said he was heavily requested in Japan xD), but in the west she's completly unknown). And she was an AT when they did the poll, so it could happen like Waluigi, that few people vote him because he already had a role in the game... (though that didn't stop Ridley to enter this game, but Ridley fans were another level tbh).
She's not really unknown in the west like Takamaru was. Her series always gets releases outside of Japan, so even if her popularity isn't as strong, there isn't a problem of being obscure. It's just that having a huge amount of popularity in any region is huge for a character when fanservice is the name of the game.

But your point about assist trophies possibly getting less votes is something to keep in mind. It really could be true that some fanbases were discouraged once they saw their character already had a role because they didn't think about it being used beyond Smash 4, and that could benefit characters like Isaac a lot.

...Unless Banjo gets in. He's the only other one I could see taking the final slot.

Despite his popularity (which hopefully is up as high as that poll makes it seem to be), I think Isaac would be somewhere in between.

Different circumstances surround this game. Shulk was revealed in a Japanese-only direct and was quietly added to the website elsewhere, but when everybody's expecting nothing but hype characters for this game, they won't pull something like that or the Pac-Man closed doors reveal again. The last reveal has to be something climactic.

Enchess

Smash Lord

But for real though, Shulk was the announcement that hyped me up the most by far. I had been wanting him so badly. Future vision, laser sword, monado arts, chain attacks, positional affects, spike damage (might've been broken if it had made it in), buffing as a central mechanic. He oozed potential in a way few other characters could ever hope to.

Which is also how I'm feeling about Isaac right now. Ridley and K Rool are the ones I want most, but Ridley isn't going for reverse Little Mac as much as I had hoped and my dream play style for K Rool is ultimately pretty close to Snake. Isaac though could legitimately have 3 completely different full movesets that would all make him stand out from the rest of the cast.

D

Deleted member

COMIC OF THE DAY!

Fortunately for Garet, Ivan missed the 300G hidden in the forest known as his hair. That ****’s so EXTRA THICC even X-rays couldn’t get through it.

and with that, we have gone through Sesuna's Comics, join us next time for Hijiku Kiyomasa!

KMDP

Smash Legend
People aren't gonna get super hype over an Assist Trophy. :p
The FF assist trophies are obviously gonna be "Cloud's Girlfriend" and "Zack's Widow" (even though I'd rather have the MMA bar owner over "Compensating for Something". :laugh:)
If he were in, I think they’d have used that for the “you can KO ATs now” bit.
Well, that's a catch-22, they'd want to reveal the guy last for max hype, but they'd also want to explain the Assist Trophy KO thing early.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It makes me a little nervous people didn't vote for him because they thought he didn't have a chance.
I think the opposite could be true actually. The fact that Isaac had lost his status as an assist trophy likely gave him a bit of a boost since he would have been more in people's minds.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I think the opposite could be true actually. The fact that Isaac had lost his status as an assist trophy likely gave him a bit of a boost since he would have been more in people's minds.
Exactly. People may have been discouraged and lost hope if their character already had a role in Smash 4, and Isaac wasn't a part of that list. He still had a chance and people were thinking about him since it was an unexpected removal of one of the most popular ATs.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Out of all the Assist Trophy characters, I think Isaac is the most likely besides Ashley (and Shadow, but he's... complicated).

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Also I find it kinda funny how people are making a big deal of K. Rool being the final reveal as a big finish.

Weren't Shulk, Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt the last three reveals for the last Smash game? Hardly bombshell announcements in the grand scheme of things.

I think it's more likely we'll get the big reveals first and then the last few will possibly be more quirky or niche.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Out of all the Assist Trophy characters, I think Isaac is the most likely besides Ashley (and Shadow, but he's... complicated).
I wouldn't be so sure actually. Sakurai on Saki AT - "He rivals just about any main character. There were many requests from users for his inclusion, and he IS pretty cool, so I did what I could to include him."

I really think Saki is on the planned roster (although I think he's likely to be cut for time). He was heavily requested before Brawl raised his profile, Sakurai likes him, his AT obviously has significantly more effort put into it than most of the others, this is probably the only Smash game Sakurai can justify his inclusion, S&P has a game almost as recent as Dark Dawn.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I wouldn't be so sure actually. Sakurai on Saki AT - "He rivals just about any main character. There were many requests from users for his inclusion, and he IS pretty cool, so I did what I could to include him."

I really think Saki is on the planned roster (although I think he's likely to be cut for time). He was heavily requested before Brawl raised his profile, Sakurai likes him, his AT obviously has significantly more effort put into it than most of the others, this is probably the only Smash game Sakurai can justify his inclusion, S&P has a game almost as recent as Dark Dawn.
Hmm... But, Isaac, man...
Really it depends on how lasting their popularity is, who knows, maybe we'll see one, both or neither.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Hmm... But, Isaac, man...
Really it depends on how lasting their popularity is, who knows, maybe we'll see one, both or neither.
I want Isaac more, but Saki would actually be great to get too. I don't see either as being too similar to anyone else on roster, so the biggest obstacle for both is popularity, long time since last title, and Sakurai factor. I think Isaac has edge in popularity, Saki has edge in Sakurai, and they are basically tied on dormancy.

Hopefully both though.

StormC

Smash Hero
Also I find it kinda funny how people are making a big deal of K. Rool being the final reveal as a big finish.

Weren't Shulk, Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt the last three reveals for the last Smash game? Hardly bombshell announcements in the grand scheme of things.

I think it's more likely we'll get the big reveals first and then the last few will possibly be more quirky or niche.
I think this game is a different deal because there probably aren't "secret" characters. It's more comparable to the DLC releases in terms of generating consistent hype.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I think this game is a different deal because there probably aren't "secret" characters. It's more comparable to the DLC releases in terms of generating consistent hype.
Well July is on the horizon so we just have to wait and see what happens and hope we get our boy

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
So this is the definitive account, isn't it? Be sure to follow the official Camelot account :p (and the different Nintendo's account (Spain, France, UK, Europe, Germany, etc.).
I couldn't find Camelot's official Twitter account. Can you give me a link please

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The final official Brawl and 4 reveals pre-release were Olimar and Shulk respectively, so I wouldn't put too much stock in a bombshell being last for, like, theatrical reasons.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The final official Brawl and 4 reveals pre-release were Olimar and Shulk respectively, so I wouldn't put too much stock in a bombshell being last for, like, theatrical reasons.
Well, depending on who you are, those reveals might have been pretty big. :laugh:
From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense to keep one super huge character close to the end, to maximise hype. It's actually a little strange (and a testament to Smash's baseline popularity) that they don't. They tend to frontload almost all of their big names.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, depending on who you are, those reveals might have been pretty big. :laugh:
I like both those characters but only in an internet bubble could they be considered big additions.

From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense to keep one super huge character close to the end, to maximise hype. It's actually a little strange (and a testament to Smash's baseline popularity) that they don't. They tend to frontload almost all of their big names.
I'm lending credence to precedent here, though I don't disagree.

Fwiw, K. Rool still could get outranked "bombshell-wise" by select third-parties, so it's all relative.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I like both those characters but only in an internet bubble could they be considered big additions.

I'm lending credence to precedent here, though I don't disagree.

Fwiw, K. Rool still could get outranked "bombshell-wise" by select third-parties, so it's all relative.
Totally agreed on all fronts there.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also I agree that ultimately Isaac's omission probably did aid him in the ballot, considering most voting was done under the (false) pretence of the results only effecting DLC and not necessarily future titles, so they overlooked characters that already had roles.

I'm sure a lot of people didn't care and still voted regardless of role, but if you check the fanpolls, unofficial and limited as they might be, characters who already played a role in the game tended to fair not quite as well as you'd think.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Also I agree that ultimately Isaac's omission probably did aid him in the ballot, considering most voting was done under the (false) pretence of the results only effecting DLC and not necessarily future titles, so they overlooked characters that already had roles.

I'm sure a lot of people didn't care and still voted regardless of role, but if you check the fanpolls, unofficial and limited as they might be, characters who already played a role in the game tended to fair not quite as well as you'd think.
Even then, I'm sure Sakurai is well aware of some of those characters' popularity *glances at Ashley and Isabelle*
While I don't think Isabelle is likely, since she's even more of a non-combatant than the Villager; Ashley seems to have the stars aligning in her favour this game.

Let's hope the same is true for Isaac.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Gah, this is nerve wracking.

At least Isaac is starting to show up in leaks.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
https://imgur.com/a/AqW3w#0bOR70d
According to this reddit poll that was conducted Golden Sun is the 16th most wanted unannounced franchise to Switch. back in March. Since Smash Bros, Mario Party have confirmed Switch releases worldwide we are now 14th. I shared this fact to the twitter page so hopefully that can do something

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
According to this reddit poll that was conducted Golden Sun is the 16th most wanted unannounced franchise to Switch. back in March. Since Smash Bros, Mario Party have confirmed Switch releases worldwide we are now 14th. I shared this fact to the twitter page so hopefully that can do something
Golden Sun would be third place if they were only counting people's #1 votes.

People who like Golden Sun REALLY like Golden Sun.

Everyone else just hasn't played it yet.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I would switch those titles around some. I'm one of the few gamers I know who doesn't care much for Animal Crossing. But Rune Factory would be WAY higher.

I'd also probably drop Monster Hunter off my list. I tried once, but I couldn't get into those games.

Also, the "What if -X Game- Fans Made the Top 20" lists are all:
1. X Game
2. Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
View attachment 150709
Does this top 20 list match you guys?
Does it match personal top 20 games? Not really. Catherine definitely needs to be in there for me, as well as Uncharted, Fatal Frame, and TWEWY. I don't like the Wars series. If I'm putting an SRPG in, it's Valkyria or FE.

I don't think anyone could guess my preferences from my love of GS haha

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
That looks cool I wish I could have participated in that poll. Was it a recent poll?

View attachment 150709
Does this top 20 list match you guys?
Hmm I haven't really thought about what franchises that aren't on the Switch already that I'd like to see there....lets see....20 unannounced franchises I'd like to see on Switch. (Ace Attorney would be there but I think the next game has already been announced for Switch)

In no particular order:

Golden Sun, Persona, Ni No Kuni, Danganronpa, A Hat in Time, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Shenmue, Chibi Robo, Eternal Darkness, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Digimon, Fallout, The Witcher, Life is Strange, Final Fantasy XV, Zero Escape, Dishonoured, NieR: Automata (know next to nothing about it, just sounds interesting)

They're not all game franchises I have experience playing, just in one way or another they appeal to me. (and for whatever reason I might not have gotten the chance to play them)

I would have included Paper Mario, but I'm not that enthused about the franchise after the last few games.

Last edited:

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
I couldn't find Camelot's official Twitter account. Can you give me a link please
I was sure I saw it but I can't find, so probably it was a mistake. Sorry ^^'

That looks cool I wish I could have participated in that poll. Was it a recent poll?
From March, if I'm not wrong. The guy who conducted the survey does it annualy, This is the last year results: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/656gmj/after_over_1700_votes_its_done_here_are/ It ranked 37th.

The important thing is, considering the Nintendo Switch reddit is crowded by very casual people, Golden Sun ranked top 20, and a few comments of the topic highlithed it (it was the 2nd comment with more votes, if I see correctly).

Top Bottom