• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So I was just thinking about Dark Dawn and something occurred to me. Sveta seems like something of a standout character from those games.....so I was wondering....

How would you feel if Golden Sun 4 had a different character as the main protagonist? I feel like perhaps having Sveta in a leading role could shake things up a bit....

Personally speaking I'm not that crazy about Matthew as a protagonist, there's something I find very uninspiring about him. He's like a clone of Isaac it's more than a little weird. It seems like he doesn't have an identity of his own.

Like it's not even a "he's Isaacs son so of course they're similar" type situation, if you didn't know any better you'd just think Isaac got a makeover.

I guess my main worry is that even though I want a Golden Sun 4. I'm not really convinced Matthew is a strong or interesting enough lead....I guess the new game could be a success regardless but when I see games like Xenoblade have protagonists with such personality it makes me wonder if a silent protagonist can really cut it these days. (sure Link can, but he's Link....at this point people would be more bothered if he did talk)

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
So I was just thinking about Dark Dawn and something occurred to me. Sveta seems like something of a standout character from those games.....so I was wondering....

How would you feel if Golden Sun 4 had a different character as the main protagonist? I feel like perhaps having Sveta in a leading role could shake things up a bit....

Personally speaking I'm not that crazy about Matthew as a protagonist, there's something I find very uninspiring about him. He's like a clone of Isaac it's more than a little weird. It seems like he doesn't have an identity of his own.

Like it's not even a "he's Isaacs son so of course they're similar" type situation, if you didn't know any better you'd just think Isaac got a makeover.

I guess my main worry is that even though I want a Golden Sun 4. I'm not really convinced Matthew is a strong or interesting enough lead....I guess the new game could be a success regardless but when I see games like Xenoblade have protagonists with such personality it makes me wonder if a silent protagonist can really cut it these days. (sure Link can, but he's Link....at this point people would be more bothered if he did talk)
I'm honestly hoping for a hypothetical GS4 to be a reboot. Keep Isaac as lead, keep the most interesting characters and setting, but a new parallel universe type story. Then I want to keep following Isaac as he gets older in sequels.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

I like the type of lead GS has, and I would rather sooner see Matthew fleshed out than introduce a new character or make Sveta/another supporting character take the role.

Personally, I'd rather them first remake the GBA duology and get people caring again about the games that made the series great. Maybe then they can redo Dark Dawn and make it a more satisfying follow-up than it was. I wouldn't want to change anything about the characters other than give them more distinctive personalities through the dialogue.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Sveta was definitely a stand out character. Unique mechanics and a strong story focus (among a very crowded cast).

Matthew doesn't feel like a copy of Isaac to me, though. He feels...weaker? There was a shift in the writing style where Karis is used to basically speak for Matthew, allowing him to stay silent. But whenever she steps in and says "this is what Matthew thinks", it makes it feel as though she's actually the one running things. As though she's speaking over him. Matthew is a doormat.

Contrast with, say, The Lost Age, where Jenna and Sheba were both very strong characters, and yet neither of them dominated the story's direction.

D

Deleted member

Comic of the Day!

It seems Felix missed the point of owning a sword.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Billybae10K Billybae10K
I was just watching your Isaac appeal video (good video btw) and saw the sample Ballot entry (the one with Cat Mario).
This has probably been said before (even by me), but....

Considering the incredibly short length of the sample explanation, Sakurai was probably expecting most entries to be similarly short (or particularly meme-y, looking at you, Shrek).

However, they gave voters 500 characters (IIRC) to make their pitch, probably because they knew hardcore and competitive fans would use every. single. character they could to make the case for their favourite character. This is a good thing, because it can elucidate Sakurai and his dev-team to traits, abilities and all manner of other virtues the character might have that they hadn't considered. For example, I didn't know that Ashley had battle capabilities until I was told on the Smash Ultimate discussion thread, now I believe her to be one of the top likely characters.
There probably isn't a single 'winner' of the ballot, because there's multiple criteria that can go into the character's 'victory'.

On another note, a song from Golden Sun I think doesn't get enough love is the Mercury Lighthouse theme. Yes, Venus and Mars are better, but I still like you, Mercury.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I mean, most of the Golden Sun soundtrack is amazing. There are only a couple songs I don't like.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I mean, most of the Golden Sun soundtrack is amazing. There are only a couple songs I don't like.
I think Mercury might even be my favourite of the four Lighthouse themes. I... don't really know why... :laugh:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I like them all for different reasons, but for pure enjoyment to listen to, it goes: Mars>Mercury>Venus>Jupiter
It still saddens me that Mercury Lighthouse was the only Lighthouse theme that "Saturos02" (a youtuber who did great Golden Sun covers on a synth keyboard back in the day) didn't do.

Also, I have a huge soft spot for "The Storm"; it's just such a simple, but good song.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Same for me with The Elemental Stars and Imil. They have way more emotion than they should.
True, true; they are pretty great.

I think my favourite songs as a kid (as in, the ones I'd hang around in a place for) from GS1 were Vale, The Storm, The Elemental Stars, World Map, Isaac's Battle Theme, Kolima Forest, Vs. Saturos, Lamakan Desert, Lalivero Ruins, Venus Lighthouse and Crossbone Island.

Mercury Lighthouse is a (relatively) recent addition to my favorites.

...Lamakan Desert might be a case of Stockholm Syndrome from grinding, though. :laugh:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
True, true; they are pretty great.

I think my favourite songs as a kid (as in, the ones I'd hang around in a place for) from GS1 were Vale, The Storm, The Elemental Stars, World Map, Isaac's Battle Theme, Kolima Forest, Vs. Saturos, Lamakan Desert, Lalivero Ruins, Venus Lighthouse and Crossbone Island.

Mercury Lighthouse is a (relatively) recent addition to my favorites.
Very similar list for me, but I'd also have the regular boss theme on mine. I love all the battle themes Camelot comes up with, but that one was catchy right from the first moment I heard it.

...Lamakan Desert might be a case of Stockholm Syndrome from grinding, though. :laugh:
No, there's definitely something charming about the desert theme. Maybe it's because the melody is more subtle up until the climax of the song (which is so amazing to listen to).

There are so many great tracks that could be put on a Golden Sun stage that most are inevitably going to have to be left out and I hate that.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Very similar list for me, but I'd also have the regular boss theme on mine. I love all the battle themes Camelot comes up with, but that one was catchy right from the first moment I heard it.
Yeah, I was considering putting that on my list.
No, there's definitely something charming about the desert theme. Maybe it's because the melody is more subtle up until the climax of the song (which is so amazing to listen to).
*has 'nam flashbacks about Pink Tornadoes*
No, but seriously, I was only kidding, I liked the song before that. XD
There are so many great tracks that could be put on a Golden Sun stage that most are inevitably going to have to be left out and I hate that.
A moment of silence for all the great songs that don't get into Smash Bros. for one reason or another.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Man, Neon dude. I have been right by your side supporting Isaac since Brawl was announced.

My guess? He was removed as an AT but had more songs added because he was a planned newcomer. Why on earth would you remove the AT but add more songs from the series...you now have no character to relate to the music!
However, other characters and implantations took priority. 3DS limitations cut many characters, obviously Ice climbers. Ridley has only increased Isaacs chances if anything.

Isaac is a character in Super Smash Flash too. Golden Sun was on the eShop, too...they didn’t have to do that.

I can honestly see him as a brand new fighter. He wouldn’t be an echo character, as echos now seem to echo a fighter from the same series.

Plus, wasn’t Isaacs logo “the sun” in Brawl’s game data? Or no?

His trophy description alone merits it.

Finally guys, the switch is a handheld first and foremost. Dark Dawn came out 8 years after Lost Age. So methinks they were waiting for Switch. Camelot shows they like the switch, Mario Tennis Aces is excellent. It’s gorgeous too.

I just think they’re waiting until Project Octopath Traveler is out for a couple months.

Also guys, August 1st was when the game was released for GBA. I’m sure Isaac being revealed by himself and going quiet for a while, like they’re doing with Ridley, it’s all the promotion for the character they would need! Think about it!
AND THE ASSIST TROPHIES WILL BE ONE OF 4 DJIIN INSTEAD OF ISAAC!

He could have a model swap with Matthew if needed. Or Felix man.

Plus anyone thinking how INCREDIBLE he’d look? He would probably look similar to Zelda imo. He will probably look a tad cartoony. But Roy was updated appearance wise, I’m sure they’ll have a new design for him.

We are getting Isaac this time. Bookmark me. It just perfectly adds up this time.

Now the important focus is how is Sakurai gonna flip is on our heads with his Moveset? It’s not going to be what we think at all I’m sure.

OMG WHAT IF HIS DOWN B WAS RAGNAROK BUT ITS A FRAME TRAP LIKE ZELDAS DOWN B

YOU CAST IT AND IT COMES OUT LIKE A SECOND AFTER

I’d also like to point out, Zelda was revealed for Smash Bros Wii U on the anniversary date of the first Zelda game being released.

Isaac was also an UNLOCKABLE DO YOU REALIZE HE GETS THAT HE IS SPECIAL TO US, WE HAD TO UNLOCK THE DAMN AT

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING GET FREAKING HYPED

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Man, Neon dude. I have been right by your side supporting Isaac since Brawl was announced.

My guess? He was removed as an AT but had more songs added because he was a planned newcomer. Why on earth would you remove the AT but add more songs from the series...you now have no character to relate to the music!
However, other characters and implantations took priority. 3DS limitations cut many characters, obviously Ice climbers. Ridley has only increased Isaacs chances if anything.
My personal thought currently is that what they wanted to do with Isaac, if they wanted to use him as a character at all, involved altering the stage (via Quake psynergy, for example), and the 3DS version put a damper on that plan.
Also guys, August 1st was when the game was released for GBA. I’m sure Isaac being revealed by himself and going quiet for a while, like they’re doing with Ridley, it’s all the promotion for the character they would need! Think about it!
I posted a couple of days ago on the Official thread about a theory I had for a sequence of doubled-up trailers (where Isaac was the only one on his own), while I can't currently go and get that post specifically, I'll post this updated version instead:
July Trailer: Incineroar
August Trailer: Isaac
September Trailer: Tails & Shadow
October (Halloween) Trailer: Ashley & Simon
November Trailer: K. Rool & Dixie
December (post-release) Trailer: Sephiroth (admit it, Sephiroth would cause explosive hype and drum up sales like crazy)

Last edited:

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
All I have to say if if Zelda can conjure a friggin metal suit of armor that falls from the sky, Isaac can friggin cast psynergy. He would be telepathic in completely different ways than Ness or Lucas.

If he’s in, I doubt he’d be like Shulk and change his Moveset or physics. He’d be an earth adept completely, and I can easily see his specials as follows
B - Move
Self explanatory, I don’t think it’s the best move to have Isaac use but it is ICONIC, and that’s what matters.

>B - Vine ala Zero Suit Sami’s

^B Quake
Issac controls earth but it doesn’t mean he has to be near it to conjure it. He can be anywhere. I see him putting earth beneath him and it extending, causes him to have a super jump or sorts.

VB Gaia

Charge move, can trip opponents a low charge and launch them at full charge. Low damage. Set up move.

And that 3DS limitation makes perfect sense. I didn’t know it was only 30fps on 3DS. I thought it was still 60.

EDIT OH MY GOD. I SEARCH GOOGLE FOR GOLDEN SUN AND OCTOPATH TRAVLER IS THE FIRST RESULT JESUS CHRIST THEYRE ONTO US

Oh, and dark dawn was the fifth best selling game in Japan, selling 46,000 copies I’m 4 days. That’s impressive, even if it’s only sold 80,000 to date.

With how big switch is.....and how octopath is setting the pace for JRPGS to make a return.

OMG. golden sun 4 will go back to the old style graphics but have crazy spell effects. I would die

EDIT 2: so PM was cancelled and remember who they were working on ISAAC. now this new smash game has so much PM influence its freaky

I bet Nintendo was like no don’t do that, just put him in smash 5.

Even as just DLC he could work too. I’m sorry but BAYONETTA is in this game. Isaac WILL BE A PLAYABLE CHARACTER IN SMASH 5

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
EDIT 2: so PM was cancelled and remember who they were working on ISAAC. now this new smash game has so much PM influence its freaky

It would be super weird if it turned out a chunk of the PM dev team were hired by Nintendo :laugh:

Enchess

Smash Lord
EDIT OH MY GOD. I SEARCH GOOGLE FOR GOLDEN SUN AND OCTOPATH TRAVLER IS THE FIRST RESULT JESUS CHRIST THEYRE ONTO US

Oh, and dark dawn was the fifth best selling game in Japan, selling 46,000 copies I’m 4 days. That’s impressive, even if it’s only sold 80,000 to date.

With how big switch is.....and how octopath is setting the pace for JRPGS to make a return.

OMG. golden sun 4 will go back to the old style graphics but have crazy spell effects. I would die
Maybe Nintendo should just loan out GS to the Octopath people like they used to do with Zelda and Capcom.

I think Nintendo should do this more often in general. It's not like they are doing anything with GS, Star Fox, F-Zero, Chibi-Robo, etc. I'm sure some studios would jump at the opportunity to use established brands with built-in fan bases.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
All I have to say if if Zelda can conjure a friggin metal suit of armor that falls from the sky, Isaac can friggin cast psynergy. He would be telepathic in completely different ways than Ness or Lucas.

If he’s in, I doubt he’d be like Shulk and change his Moveset or physics. He’d be an earth adept completely, and I can easily see his specials as follows
B - Move
Self explanatory, I don’t think it’s the best move to have Isaac use but it is ICONIC, and that’s what matters.

^B Quake
Issac controls earth but it doesn’t mean he has to be near it to conjure it. He can be anywhere. I see him putting earth beneath him and it extending, causes him to have a super jump or sorts.

VB Gaia

Charge move, can trip opponents a low charge and launch them at full charge. Low damage. Set up move.

And that 3DS limitation makes perfect sense. I didn’t know it was only 30fps on 3DS. I thought it was still 60.

Even as just DLC he could work too. I’m sorry but BAYONETTA is in this game. Isaac WILL BE A PLAYABLE CHARACTER IN SMASH 5

I really do hope you're right, I've had a gut feeling that this is definitely Isaac's time for Smash, but I'm keeping my hopes in check when it comes to the hype. Because it could also just be a case of us seeing signs where there are none, something many fans have done in the past with other potential fighters.

But damn if you don't make a good argument. I'll probably buy Octopath just to help show that JRPGs are still in "season" persay.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

B - Move

^B Quake

VB Gaia

Your hype gives me hope at least so theres that

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I want us to make an Isaac for Smash Twitter account or something. I refuse to sit idly by and have my hearttbroken a 3rd time. He has always been, always will be my most wanted character.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I want us to make an Isaac for Smash Twitter account or something. I refuse to sit idly by and have my hearttbroken a 3rd time. He has always been, always will be my most wanted character.
I mean, it's not like anyone can exactly stop you! :laugh:

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice

One of the most popular theory was that the new protagonist would be Takeru, the Himi's brother. He was apparently a venus user, and he was travelling, so basically the developers could join him with the Nowell (Mia's daughter) group.

Maybe Nintendo should just loan out GS to the Octopath people like they used to do with Zelda and Capcom.

I think Nintendo should do this more often in general. It's not like they are doing anything with GS, Star Fox, F-Zero, Chibi-Robo, etc. I'm sure some studios would jump at the opportunity to use established brands with built-in fan bases.
They tried with F-Zero and didn't succeed.
And the problem with Golden Sun (and Custom Robo, Sin&Punishment and IPs like that) is that is co-owned, so, probably, they should negotiate with Camelot. Until now, IIRC, there isn't any "second-party IP" that has been given to another studio in order to make a new game. When an IP is given to another studio, it's because it was a 1st party IP, like F-Zero(Sega-NdCube), Star Fox (Rare-Bamco-QGames-Platinum) or Donkey Kong (Rare-PAON), for example. The more close was Chibi-Robo whose last entry was co-developed with Vanpool (but Skip was still present).

Last edited:

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
I didn't know some artist drew a movepool for Isaac. Definitely, one of the weak points of the Isaac campaign was the lack of drawings, when other candidates had a ton of them showing their potential movepool, or just supporting their inclusion. And on top of that, the most "relevant", the Smashified one, was a bit off. Sadly, I'm horrendous at drawing.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
I didn't know some artist drew a movepool for Isaac. Definitely, one of the weak points of the Isaac campaign was the lack of drawings, when other candidates had a ton of them showing their potential movepool, or just supporting their inclusion. And on top of that, the most "relevant", the Smashified one, was a bit off. Sadly, I'm horrendous at drawing.
I definitely agree. Images tend to have much more of an impact than words, which is why we allow even memes on /r/GoldenSun.
I also strongly support the idea of a Twitter account for #IsaacForSmash. Some people (bless them) already have accounts with Isaac and the # in their names, but they tend to lack of regular activity.

If it worked for Ridley, and if K. Rool is considered one of the most likely candidates, we should definitely copy their strategy and search and post as much content about Golden Sun as possible. The attitude we show is extremely important, even for the next games if, god forbid, we fail with Ultimate.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I also strongly support the idea of a Twitter account for #IsaacForSmash. Some people (bless them) already have accounts with Isaac and the # in their names, but they tend to lack of regular activity.

If it worked for Ridley, and if K. Rool is considered one of the most likely candidates, we should definitely copy their strategy and search and post as much content about Golden Sun as possible. The attitude we show is extremely important, even for the next games if, god forbid, we fail with Ultimate.
This could be important for a DLC push. Even if Isaac doesn't seem like an ideal choice as a paid character, a strong campaign on Twitter resulting in fan outcry can make him an ideal choice. They may be looking to certain spots on the ballot and fan response on social media in addition to the usual promotional characters. Even if his ballot ranking is lower than expected, the size of his fanbase can reinforce and improve on his popularity as long as they're convinced to show up. You know what can ensure that? A Twitter account that inspires hope in current fans of Isaac and persuades skeptics not convinced of his potential and/or the quality of GS.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Hey guys, on an unrelated note, I did include Isaac in one my latest Smash video. I basically took the Rate Their Chances format and put it on video for my audience. Dunno if it's worth getting out there at all but since it's got Isaac in it I imagine any publicity is good publicity for our Golden Boy.

Enchess

Smash Lord
They tried with F-Zero and didn't succeed.
And the problem with Golden Sun (and Custom Robo, Sin&Punishment and IPs like that) is that is co-owned, so, probably, they should negotiate with Camelot. Until now, IIRC, there isn't any "second-party IP" that has been given to another studio in order to make a new game. When an IP is given to another studio, it's because it was a 1st party IP, like F-Zero(Sega-NdCube), Star Fox (Rare-Bamco-QGames-Platinum) or Donkey Kong (Rare-PAON), for example. The more close was Chibi-Robo whose last entry was co-developed with Vanpool (but Skip was still present).
I forgot about that F-Zero game. I still think lending properties out is worth doing. The Capcom Zelda's are among my favorites.

I wish Nintendo did more with their co-owned properties. I can see why that would interfere with lending out though. Maybe they can convince Camelot, Treasure, and Tecmo Koei to agree to lending out Golden Sun, Sin and Punishment, and Fatal Frame respectively? All such wonderful IP that just aren't being used by either owner at the moment... Ah, wishful thinking I guess.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Hey guys, on an unrelated note, I did include Isaac in one my latest Smash video. I basically took the Rate Their Chances format and put it on video for my audience. Dunno if it's worth getting out there at all but since it's got Isaac in it I imagine any publicity is good publicity for our Golden Boy.

Just watched that vid and I love your video style. Clear, entertaining and to the point and plus giving our boy Isaac some exposure

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Well, let’s all decide to do this, together. A few of us can manage the account, and we can up with something to post daily.

It’s the best we can do for him

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Well, let’s all decide to do this, together. A few of us can manage the account, and we can up with something to post daily.
It’s the best we can do for him
I just made the new Twitter page. This is my first time using Twitter so the page isn't the best at the moment. Whoever wants to join in let me know, we should set up a private server so I can share the password and discuss our roles. https://twitter.com/IsaacforU

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
I just made the new Twitter page. This is my first time using Twitter so the page isn't the best at the moment. Whoever wants to join in let me know, we should set up a private server so I can share the password and discuss our roles. https://twitter.com/IsaacforU
Damn, I was just about to say that while I'd totally be down for that, we shouldn't jump on making such an account as quickly as possible but we should discuss just a bit of certain things about that... :ohwell:

For starters, I'm not too sure about the name. It kinda sounds like we're requesting for Isaac in Smash for Wii U... I'd have used "IsaacForSmash" directly if possible.

Also, it's a bit difficult to find daily content to keep posting on it. A schedule could be a good thing to prepare imo.
That's why initially, if some of you remember, I did such a thing once a week for Smash 4 with the #GoldenSunday.
Maybe we could bring them back but also post a bit more often as well?

A schedule could also allow us to be prepared, we'd know which kind of content we'd share and possibly who would post it (taking turns, you know?): Music, fanart, videos...

Edit: I just hope I don't sound too commanding, I just think we should prepare this a little bit.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's really amazing and lovely to still see so many people getting behind a character like Isaac. One who, despite not having a title in the better part of a decade, and not starring in a title for almost two decades, is still beloved and supported by so many.

It's a testament to the character, who has been unfairly overlooked for far too long, but also the fans. The perseverance and loyalty is something special, with Isaac you know you're not dealing with fair-weather fans on board for this month's flavour, quite the opposite. Few if any other support camps can claim to have championed their candidate for so long with so little.

Let's keep fighting the good fight! ^_^

Top Bottom