• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Summer of Smash: Week #4 - CEO, Karisuma 8, Xanadu

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
That is a scary situation for Diddy to be in, especially since Bayonetta can extend the duration of her hitboxes for as long as she needs.

Last edited:

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon
I've often still been unsure about Bayonetta since the 1.1.6 patch - many initially called her dead, other top players said she was fine, she was was still getting a few results after the patch here and there but nothing too standout to me (some top 16s).

But seeing Saj able to take a set against a great player in a matchup that was argued to be one of the worst or most even against Bayonetta before the patch confirms for me personally that she's still got it.

Need to find out where Pink Fresh ended up too. This is one of those tourneys so thick with talent that I think looking at the whole top 64 (or at least 48) shows something great for how well characters can do.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Doesn't seem like that uthrow thunder "kill confirm" has become any more reliable since ESAM discovered the RAR tech. Pikachu just cannot kill to save his life.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
VoiD will have to beat Dabuz or Aba for that to happen, and he's never taken a set off of either of them.
Speaking of which, I really, really wanna see Aba's M2 vs Zero.

Here's hoping.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
Y Yonder They've already played at Smash&Splash and Aba got Destroyed. M2 vs Diddy is not good. Expect Pac or Rosa vs Diddy if he plays 1

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Larry Lurr and ZeRo going to fight for Top 8. They are 10-10, 2-2 in sets.

Goombo

Smash Apprentice
Nietono played the Bayonetta matchup wrong. That is all.
Like he did the Robin matchup yesterday.

Tbh I expected him to have a really good chance of winning this whole thing. But those are Matchups you really shouldn't lose as a top level Diddy Kong player.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I was about to post "I think Dabuz will win the set because Aba's not playing MK very well" and then Dabuz pulls out Olimar

welp

ZeRo went 6-0 in sets at least vs Larry during May 2015 when he attended a string of SoCal locals
yeah but that was a year ago

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
aba needs to not use Meta Knight vs. Olimar ever again

Last edited:

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Dabuz went back to Rosalina thinking Abadango was going Mewtwo? Either way, Dabuz is playing good. For a moment things seemed bleak once the set started with a swift ladder to death, but he brought it back so well.

Abadango looked sorta lost against Olimar. It was an interesting pick since Dabuz seemed to focus completely on shutting down Abadango's ground game.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
i would've expected aba to have trained his meta knight for this

lol @ that awful set

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Good news for ZeRo, at least; He won't run against Lurr and Dabuz back-to-back.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Dabuz takes it 3-1 over Abadango.

Game 1 and 2 Dabuz went Rosa, losing game 2 and then switching to Olimar and winning game 3. He switched back to Rosa game 4 and 2-stocked Abadango.

Dabuz was playing really well.

inb4 someone says "hey maybe this MU is even."

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo vs Rosa is in Mewtwo's favor and Aba still uses his rusty MK. ;_;

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Abadango fishing for the ladder is not going to work against Dabuz anymore, he's way too smart

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon
Since many posters aretalking about how Nietono HoSmash4 HoSmash4 and Aba BunbUn129 BunbUn129 ARISTOS ARISTOS Das Koopa Das Koopa are playing their respective mains winning matchups wrong, I think you should go in more depth - what should they have been doing, and why wouldn't these top players have done so in their specific matches?

thehard thehard mentioned they felt Aba was only fishing for the uair combos, that's something.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
thehard thehard mentioned they felt Aba was only fishing for the uair combos, that's something.
That's the gist of the problem, Aba was good at killing Luma but looked stuck when he actually had to fight Rosa because he was playing for fishing kills

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Since many posters aretalking about how Nietono HoSmash4 HoSmash4 and Aba BunbUn129 BunbUn129 ARISTOS ARISTOS Das Koopa Das Koopa are playing their respective mains winning matchups wrong, I think you should go in more depth - what should they have been doing, and why wouldn't these top players have done so in their specific matches?

I mean it's pretty simple.

Aba is fishing and waiting for uair combos, Dabuz will simply go to the edge and wait. Once he's outside uair percents, the MU changes entirely and it's much safer to do Rosa things.

MK's poor airspeed means he is prime for uair to do massive damage.

MK mains have been talking about how Aba's MK relied on the uair combo to go places and that his neutral was lackluster. It showed badly throughout this set.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
AnEventHorizon AnEventHorizon Too many dash attacks. That's something Abadango always had as a problem with MK. Another thing is how Abadango was throwing out Dimensional Capes repeatedly but never used it except once when Rosa wasn't at kill percent. I assume he was attempting to condition Dabuz in game 3 to not shield and then get hit by the attack version, but he never followed up on that conditioning.

Also the ladder combo is indeed a major factor in the Rosalina MU, but it's not the only tool that MK has, and that's where Abadango was failing: he was putting too much emphasis on that option. Look at how many times Dabuz and Aba were rolling into each other at the ledge--because Abadango was looking for that one option. Abadango was throwing out up tilts predictably as a ledge-coverage option--because he wanted up airs. He didn't mix up his ledge coverage with things like f smash and Tornado.

I don't have very good memory when it comes to sets and I have to rewatch them to get a better understanding of what happened and what could've been done differently. Probably a lot more that I missed.

The fact that Abadango took game 2 and kept game 1 close even though his play was mediocre and Dabuz was outplaying him actually proves how terrible this MU is for Rosa.

Last edited:

my_T

Smash Journeyman
Why didn't NAKAT go pika or fox against Tink? He would've put up a much better fight

MushroomKiller

Smash Cadet
Why didn't NAKAT go pika or fox against Tink? He would've put up a much better fight
Again with the Ness hate I see.

Because newsflash: Ness wins Toon Link in the match-up. More decisively than Pikachu and Fox, actually.

Source: I co-main Toon Link.

edit: Terminology.

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace

Compare Zinoto and Nietono playstyles vs Bayonetta. Nietono's usage of the banana is very sub-par compared to the majority of Diddy mains.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
So, we went from ZeRo winning everything he was in to different players winning different tournaments. I'm pretty cool with that, although I feel a bit bad for ZeRo, it ought to be rough coming from such a win streak and then losing this "early".

These tournaments are so entertaining to watch, so many upsets.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
WHAT THE LITERAL 20XX AM I WATCHING

THIS MAN SHINE STAGE SPIKES ZERO THEN 3-0'S HIM

THIS TOURNAMENT IS INSANE

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Larry erased ZeRo, completely. ZeRo needs to practice his Diddy, because not only can I not call him #1 in the world right now, I definitely can't call him the best Diddy.

As a ZeRo fan, this loss hurts. This is his first finish outside of the top 3, much less outside of top 8. And it sucks seeing an amazing athlete lose their strength after having to take a break. But Larry read the hell out of him, kept the pressure up, and scared him.

As a Dabuz fan, he just might make this one his tournament - I don't think there's anyone better than him left. This might be his time to be #1. All gained from being consistent. Those notes are one of the smartest ideas in a while, and his knowledge of his character is amazing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom