• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamoo

Smash Master
yoshi's is toooo good for puff :)

'cept gainst marth and shiek :/

Also doc is def the most boring matchup, my matches with the best UK doc took 6 and a half minutes each match, wasn't fun

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Tamoo, I think you mean 6 and a half minutes each match, not 6 and a half match each match.

And that match was funny. You were on the edge about half the time xD. Needs more Bair!

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Haha. I can't do what you did, though. Even in tournament, I just can't stay by the edge that long. Its too boring. (This is why I use other chars).

Blubby

Smash Apprentice
getting grabs vs fox?

i mostly try to wavedash out of shield and grab them out of arieals, but it works not really out.

and i got a problem when the fox shieldpressures me with upair->shine.

pls help D=

dudutsai

Smash Lord
and i got a problem when the fox shieldpressures me with upair->shine.
I don't think that actually works. You should try shieldgrabbing it. If fox doesn't make mistakes, landing grabs is very hard, but keep in mind that once you do, it should be at least a combo, if not his whole stock.

tw1n

Smash Champion
So whats the best way to approach a good DK? I know spamming bairs works well but so bairs are so effing long!

rason110290

Smash Apprentice
I went to a local tournament (SFSU) and got my *** handed to me by foxes, falcos, and falcons during freindlies. They moved so fast, I had absolutely no idea how to play. Their playstyle was faster than what I've seen before. but when i look at Hbox/Mango videos, it seems like that they are able to bring their opponents to their pace. How does Hbox/mango do that?

GSUB

Smash Lord
I went to a local tournament (SFSU) and got my *** handed to me by foxes, falcos, and falcons during freindlies. They moved so fast, I had absolutely no idea how to play. Their playstyle was faster than what I've seen before. but when i look at Hbox/Mango videos, it seems like that they are able to bring their opponents to their pace. How does Hbox/mango do that?
pressuring with aerials at the heights that they're jumping,
so if they don't watch the **** out, they'll jump into it

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Just practice more. When I started, I found myself easily overwhelmed by faster characters too. After you get enough experience, you'll start finding yourself able to deal with it.

idea

Smash Master
yeah, the best advice is to just keep going to those tournaments. and ask the people you play what you're doing wrong. chances are someone'll be willing to tell you.

rason110290

Smash Apprentice
yeah, the best advice is to just keep going to those tournaments. and ask the people you play what you're doing wrong. chances are someone'll be willing to tell you.
I get really lazy to drive 45 minutes to SFSU for the whole day. Sadly. If I didn't have to travel that distance for a tourney, I would definitely go and try to improve.

On the other hand, a smaller tournament hosted by one of my freinds has a few videos up. Hes been pretty lazy with getting the videos on youtube. So far hes only put out Winner finals melee double.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU7wNb0WgxE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWlDGDmtOO0
I'm the red jiggs

This was small tournament with friends, which also shows my current playing level (or at least in the doubles aspect). Hopefully the guy uploads the singles portion soon.

Criticism is welcome, both good and bad. If its harsh criticism, tell it anyway. Otherwise, I wouldn't know what I am doing wrong. Another note, I had no Idea who my teammate was which may explain lack of teamwork.

Ps turn your sound down, its a loud recording for some reason.

Razor

Smash Journeyman
yeah, VERY loud. i like your jiggs tho : D. your teammate isn't bad either, but it's hard to evaluate ppl on teams

i'm having way too much trouble against sheiks for sum reason. everytime i CC, they dsmash me and i rack up too much damage. i don't even get close enough for a rest. if i block, they just grab me. grab---> death. any suggestions?

the backthrow stuff is pretty sweet on sheik, but platforms make it tough. they just upB high and FF through platforms sometimes.

another note: bair and fair can beat whatever sheik has, but only from certain angles. sheiks fair can beat whatever jiggs has if it comes from way above . but straight attacks are like butter and get cut through. same with fair. and sheik's bair can destroy jiggs if it comes from way below, like if you're floating above them or something.

X1-12

Smash Champion
what are your thoughts on f-air(or n-air) -> turnaround up-tilt -> whatever (maybe rest)

EDIT: i mean as use to mix up approaches, using the f-air just before landing rather then my usual, fair and run away method

GSUB

Smash Lord
what are your thoughts on f-air(or n-air) -> turnaround up-tilt -> whatever (maybe rest)

EDIT: i mean as use to mix up approaches, using the f-air just before landing rather then my usual, fair and run away method
you're not fox.

instead!!! land behind them with your fair or nair, and then uptilt.
Better yet, just land behind them with no aerial and then uptilt.

Or if you mean you're doing FULLHOP FAIR -> FALLING FAIR
try this,
FULLHOP FAIR -> WAVELAND BACK-> GRAB/STUFF????

@your avatar: My mom can't stop playing that game, she's too good at it. I come home and she's playing it and stuff, on Deity level.

X1-12

Smash Champion
@your avatar: My mom can't stop playing that game, she's too good at it. I come home and she's playing it and stuff, on Deity level.

lol :p well i just wanted a pic of Gandhi, i dont actually play the game.. civilisation or whatever it is

rason110290

Smash Apprentice
yeah, VERY loud. i like your jiggs tho : D. your teammate isn't bad either, but it's hard to evaluate ppl on teams

As I said earlier, I'm still waiting for the dude to put up the singles matches. In the singles matches that were recorded, I get wrecked by a Ganon for winners finals, Barely scrape by a fox/falco in Losers, and then Lose to the same Ganon. Felt Bad man.

GSUB

Smash Lord
@Rason: You're puff looks pretty awkward. Do you know how to L-cancel?
I know you're join date says 2005, but it looked like you weren't l-canceling at all @_@

And you should really learn how to be of more use during those matches; most of the time you were just sitting back and spacing backairs at nothing. I realize this can maybe help save stock, but it would be nice to learn how to save stock and still be useful.

Razor

Smash Journeyman
i thought i saw some l cancels....

i guess i can ask again. any tips on sheik? i feel like it's a roll of the dice. if i block, they grab. if i CC, they dsmash. they love to do both LOL

bair spam is incredible against sheik, and so is backthrow....but only if you get that rest. if you can't get rests on sheik, I think she actually wins that matchup. thoughts?

GSUB

Smash Lord
i thought i saw some l cancels....

i guess i can ask again. any tips on sheik? i feel like it's a roll of the dice. if i block, they grab. if i CC, they dsmash. they love to do both LOL

bair spam is incredible against sheik, and so is backthrow....but only if you get that rest. if you can't get rests on sheik, I think she actually wins that matchup. thoughts?
This is a bit old, but here ya go, might help.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8056920&postcount=2054

Razor

Smash Journeyman
thanks :bee: personallly i have more trouble against sheik than marth but i don't play many gooood marths.

i'll try to figure something out for sheik's dsmash. other just cc'ing, not sure what else to do

GSUB

Smash Lord
that post is for marth AND sheik =x

and the dsmash thing, shield it or fake them out and force them to downsmash, punish it with anything.
And if they're CC your aerials, come down with no aerial, then either:
a: Shield it then sheildgrab/stuff out of shield
or
b: jump right away, and if the've whiffed a downsmash, falling upair to rest.

Razor

Smash Journeyman
oh i kno, i read the sheik part. hmm, falling upair to rest. i didn't think of that, that's tricky. i like it

rason110290

Smash Apprentice
Lol. About that 2005 thing. Thats when i first tried to learn more about the game. I then forgot about this game until late 2007, where i picked up puff, learned to wavedash and Wop, and knew about The more technical stuff, but never had a chance to practice them. Played brawl for about a year. and in early 2009 i decided to go back to melee, with an actual mindset to at least compete at a local tournament level.

From 2009 till now Ive been playing in my College's Comp Sci Club with people who are better than me, and usually never got the time to play alone to work on stuff like L canceling.

Anyways, I'm sure you hear this John alot, but I never had the game. And I know its a lame excuse to be bad

Razor

Smash Journeyman
ROFL, dude i've seen that vid like 100 times. i dno't get how i missed that.

mango is ridiculous

idea

Smash Master
sheik matchup i find to be really slow and deliberate. dsmash never gives me any problems, though...and yeah, shield beats dsmash, free shieldgrab afterward and jiggs grabs can be so momentum changing.

agh! THAT'S the word i was looking for earlier! momentum. couldn't remember it for the life of me.

so yeah, i dunno. be mobile and careful vs. sheik. if she's hitting you with lots of dsmashes...well, look at it from the sheik's perspective. that doesn't seem like it should work very often cause it doesn't beat jiggs' bair or fair (as far as i know) or shield.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Puff's entire design as a character counters Sheik's D-smash.

Like, seriously. How can someone have problems with that move as Jigglypuff? Her duck beats it by trading, at worst, 19% for 17%, momentum, and a possible edgeguard. Her shield ***** it because of automatic Bair or Fair out of shield, and sometimes even shield grab. Sometimes you can actually Rest her for D-smashing your shield if only the first hit connects. You can just clean beat it with Bair. You're usually too high to be hit by it, or crouching in the matchup.

D-smash is complete trash against Puff.

The only time it's good is when they Nair approach at low percent when it won't knock over.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
I get really lazy to drive 45 minutes to SFSU for the whole day. Sadly. If I didn't have to travel that distance for a tourney, I would definitely go and try to improve.

On the other hand, a smaller tournament hosted by one of my freinds has a few videos up. Hes been pretty lazy with getting the videos on youtube. So far hes only put out Winner finals melee double.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU7wNb0WgxE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWlDGDmtOO0
I'm the red jiggs

This was small tournament with friends, which also shows my current playing level (or at least in the doubles aspect). Hopefully the guy uploads the singles portion soon.

Criticism is welcome, both good and bad. If its harsh criticism, tell it anyway. Otherwise, I wouldn't know what I am doing wrong. Another note, I had no Idea who my teammate was which may explain lack of teamwork.

Ps turn your sound down, its a loud recording for some reason.

bro, you're not L-Cancelling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom