• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
looooooool

not bad

tamoo i love that picture

of puff

i have it is as my wallpaper on my ipod touch

=D

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
mang0, how do i win the biggest melee tournament ever without using a top tier character?

jkjk

congrats, i dont think anyone doubted you, but armada shocked us all.

Vijin

Smash Ace
Mango, I've got a question about the marth match-up.
You say to use your shield a lot. I notice that when a marth is short hopping at you that's when you put your shield up. But what if the marth is on the ground and he's dash dancing, waiting to land a grab? Just wondering how you get in close using your shield, but avoid being grabbed at the same time?

idea

Smash Master
marth can still grab a crouching puff, he just has to dash grab. and maybe one of the other types of grabs...?

and...i dunno, his advice makes sense if you try it =P shield is good vs. marth.

yeah, now that i'm picturing it...marth is gonna space aerials on you. they hit your shield from far away, otherwise you could shield grab him. then you hit him with stuff after he's hit your shield.

if he's grabbing a lot, use aerials or crouch anyway (they could still mess up).

something like that. i have a feeling i'm missing something here.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I've heard a lot about the importance of spacing, but after watching Genesis vids, I really understand. Good job, Mango and Hbox.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Marth is also one of my worst matchups. You really have to read your opponent, because marth will always be able to do something to you provided you don't see it coming. When you space with empty hops, don't full hop cause you will get fsmashed

Tamoo

Smash Master
Marth is one of my fav matchups cos I play gainst marths all the time, Ive even beaten the best marth in UK in tournament once, just on matchup knowledge alone.
Shielding is great obv, i also really like nair, one thing I do is nair right at the base of their shield, autocancel and crouch, wait for the shieldgrab and rest. Also land the nair behind them and ftilt, fsmash or grab them.
I think the most important thing in this matchup it to know where to DI once you get grabbed. Good marths will always look for the optimal follow up to a fthrow or dthrow, as they have the option to fsmash, dash attack and fair/bair. Just DI to limit their options as much as possible.

idea

Smash Master
i'm starting to realize the power of doing things for no reason =P

marth has faster aerials, puff is largely aerial-based...so this is a problem. i think mostly you space fairs at him, be really careful about approaching, but also don't camp, cause marth is better at that since he has range and speed.

shield is really good. i only have a vague understanding of why this is.

edgeguarding is important. ledge invicibility + nair or fair...or just jump out and hit him quickly. it sounds easy but i can never do any of that correctly =P
also, force him to up-b on stage, then rest.

the way kirbykaze explained it to me (how does he know so much about this game <_<) is that, vs. marth, you want to not be between where the middle of his sword hits to the end of it. that's where marth feels comfortable. so you have to not be in that general range. one good way of doing that is by putting pressure on him (now you're close to him). and since he is faster and has more range, that's where the doing weird stuff comes in.

that nair-crouch-rest thing sounds cool too, i should try that.

Vijin

Smash Ace
So it's only Marths running grab (not jump-canceled) that can grab a crouching Jigs?
Even his normal standing grab will miss a crouching Jigs? Interesting.

ALSO, Mango I hope you finish the list. Do you have any experience fighting Docs? Pills are such a b*tch for Jigs.

soap

Smash Hero
u got lazy and stopped making the character names larger font with goofy colors

this gives your guide a wall of text appearance, jus sayin.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
So it's only Marths running grab (not jump-canceled) that can grab a crouching Jigs?
Even his normal standing grab will miss a crouching Jigs? Interesting.
Marth's standing still grab always misses a crouching jiggs, but his running grab can also be dodged if you get the timing of the crouch right.

Vijin

Smash Ace
Marth's standing still grab always misses a crouching jiggs, but his running grab can also be dodged if you get the timing of the crouch right.

As far as I'm aware, marth has 3 grabs.
Neutral grab (standing in place grab)
Running grab
And jump cancel grab (which you can do while running.)
You can duck everyone of Marth's grabs except a jump-cancel grab.

idea

Smash Master
he can also boost-grab, i believe (dash attack, and cancel the attack animation with a grab)

honestly i'm not sure if marth can do that, but if he can, maybe that can grab a crouching jiggs too.

all you really need to know is that you can crouch under marth's grab, but it's not gonna work every time.

Vijin

Smash Ace
Well I just tried it last night. I experimented with all 3 of his grabs and his running grab was the one that missed every time. I don't know how timing is going to matter if a Jiggs is already ducking. You're either ducking or you're not.

idea

Smash Master
oh, i think that's because not all of it reaches low enough to grab jiggs...only the back of it or something like that. and the grab range is not the same on every frame, so maybe you have to do it earlier? or later? i remember KK trying this once and saying that it did work but only grabbed at a weird part of it.

maybe marth's other grabs are the same way. standing grab almost always misses me when i'm crouching.

Tamoo

Smash Master
idea is right, the dash grab changes its grabbox throughout the animation, which is why it seems to work sometimes and not in other cases. Standing grabs, and jumpcancelled grabs should always miss

Vijin

Smash Ace
Anyway, a Marth who knows this knows that he can grab a crouching Jigs. Which usually resutls in big damage. Where's Mango?

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Oh my goodness. The autocanceled Nair -> Crouch to bait for shield grabs is absolutely genius. Genius because it works against all characters, I think.

And Marth is still my worst matchup. Its way harder than campy Foxes. I think Foxes aren't that gay after you get past the fact that they can run away and laser you. But when they camp that way, I just ignore them completely, or Nair through them if I'm far to dodge some. It hardly does any damage, so to me it seems more of a mindgame than anything. Makes you badly space yourself if you try to dodge it, which just lets him shoot you more. That's what I've noticed watching tournament vids.

I also learned to always SH Nair vs Spacies, because it lasts long enough to completely block out a side+B, and if you're consistent, an edgecancel will lead you into another SH nair... lol. I can poke the FireFox that way :D. That, or I can be more like HBox and just do the Nair to start with and FSmash the FireFox as it comes. HBox is amazing vs Spacies. Amazing.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Oh my goodness. The autocanceled Nair -> Crouch to bait for shield grabs is absolutely genius. Genius because it works against all characters, I think.
Isnt it just :)
hehe, I actually learnt it from a random scrub jiggs here in the UK, he had no idea what he was doing, but I was marth against him and he autocancelled a nair on my shield and crouched whilst i shieldgrabbed, and i saw that opportunity to rest and was like woah, that could really help.

And Hbox is **** amazing vs spacies, I wish I could do that **** :(

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
I have a big problem with Puff vs Marf, it gives me a headache. T_T
So I just go Sheik. ^_^

But yeah I seem to have a lot of trouble vs Sheik... it just seems like every single thing she does out prioritizes my Nair/Fair/Bair... it's like playing a Marf, except with priority instead of range. >_<

Any general tips on the tilt vs aerial and air vs air battle against Sheik?

KMT

Smash Rookie
^
Against a sheik i would assume that you can space your self in the air and wait until after the sheik's fair or whatever comes out then move in for a fair.
Jiggly is floaty use it:]

idea

Smash Master
So I just go Sheik. ^_^

But yeah I seem to have a lot of trouble vs Sheik... it just seems like every single thing she does out prioritizes my Nair/Fair/Bair... it's like playing a Marf, except with priority instead of range. >_<

tilts: crouch, wait
aerials: avoid hers and use yours; guess where she's about to jump and aerial in that place

sheik is weird...she doesn't have all the advantages she's used to having, but she is still really good. crouching is useful...i have to do that more.

not even crouching and waiting there, but crouching and wavedashing around. it makes sense, if you think about it...at any point where you would have been standing up, you might as well be much harder to hit and automatically crouch canceling.

KK told me the other day that i should fair on his shield then crouch.

this matchup doesn't feel overly hard to me, but i have to be very patient. definitely more so than vs. a marth.

oh, and up-moves are good on her. if she's above you, try to get upairs and stuff, cause sheik moves slowly horizontally in the air, and her dair sucks. this also means you can rest her reliably with uptilt and upair. she is unable to move for longer than you'd expect.

haha, haven't i posted about this before? probably to you in particular =P

I just started maining jiggs for teams a while ago and shes my 2nd best now. Can I get some tips against peach?
i really just try to hit her with aerials while avoiding turnips. when i feel uncomfortable in tournament vs. a peach, i pretty much only use bair. seems to work.

upair and uptilt rest are pretty good, too. uptilt seems harder to get since she's always spacing aerials at you. rest is also pretty safe against peach cause she can't punish it very well if you miss.

Cia

das kwl
So I just go Sheik. ^_^

Look at the OP. that's why it's there. And his info is surprisingly helpful.

JJfox

Smash Cadet
Isnt it just :)
hehe, I actually learnt it from a random scrub jiggs here in the UK, he had no idea what he was doing, but I was marth against him and he autocancelled a nair on my shield and crouched whilst i shieldgrabbed, and i saw that opportunity to rest and was like woah, that could really help.

And Hbox is **** amazing vs spacies, I wish I could do that **** :(
You learnt nair though shield to fsmash from me, right? Not this trick. Please don't say I'm the random scrub jiggs. lol xx

Tamoo

Smash Master
Nooo no its not u lol, its sumone called Daly in our crew hehe,
and yeah, I learnt a lot of nair tricks from you, calling you a random scrub would be like calling me a random scrub lool

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
to fight peach:

you bair the **** out of her. Its nearly impossible to beat a well-spaced bair.

ban yoshi's.

a mediocre peach will downsmash when she is next to you. YOU CAN HOP AND REST :D

another tip: she is the easiest to rest out of up-tilt. She's the perfect mix of heaviness, floatiness, and a relatively large target thanks to that dress.

she will throw turnips and try to fair you with turnips. Just float over them.

you can poke by doing a forward nair into her shield and retreating before you hit the ground.

Never hold down or crouch cancel. EVER.

if she dash attacks into your sheild its a free rest.

when she is off the stage, go after her - grab the edge if she approaches it - her parasol will fall right thrugh you. if she is at high % and recovering from a big hit, up air her. jiggs uair > peaches dair.

back throw -> bair spam is SOOOO Good, man.

idea

Smash Master
does nair go through parasol sometimes? i could swear i've done that before. grab the edge, nair as she tries to parasol under you...i might have still had ledge invincibility, but i have a habit of waiting too long and using it up <_<

it might also have been...not hitting the very tip of the parasol, but another part of her with less priority?

for whatever reason, ledgehop nair seems to work against peach. especially when it stagespikes her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom