• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
So I main big characters, what is the best way to take control of the Gyro? I'm sure you've all faced people who know how to get around it. What do they usually do? Because man I get wrecked with a constant barrage of Gyro and Laser.
Gyro being shot:
  • Airdodge to grab it
  • Shield (will destroy gyro)
  • Time an aerial to snatch it out of the air
  • ?? I think you can still z-catch, which is basically grabbing it out of the air w/o use of airdodge or aerial. Can't confirm 100%
Gyro being thrown:
  • Airdodge to grab it.
  • Shield (will destroy gyro)
  • Time an aerial to snatch it out of the air
  • ?? I think you can still z-catch, which is basically grabbing it out of the air w/o use of airdodge or aerial. Can't confirm 100%
Gyro on the ground:
  • Run up-> shield (will destroy gyro)
  • Some tilts/jabs (those with disjoints or high priority) can knock it away
  • Dash attack to pick it up
  • FJ Aerial (SH's work for some chars, depending on height and speed of aerial)
  • ?? Possibly SH or FJ airdodge to pick it up

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Nice! Thanks guys! See I didn't even know the Gyro had slightly different properties when thrown or spun out. This will help for sure.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Any idea on what part of the animation to look for when Gyro Cancelling? I kind of just do it immediately and most of the time it works, a visual que to look for would be nice.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
@ Crome Crome I don't really think a visual cue is possible to have for this one. IIRC, the window to cancel is like 1 frame (maybe up to 3, I cant remember exactly off the top of my head). That's as little as 1/60th of a second or .017 of a second, far below the average person's ability to react to stimuli. So, to my knowledge, I don't know of a visual cue. Virtually at the same time is the best way I know, with just the ever so slightest (virtually unnoticeable) delay between "vB" and your dodge button.

Last edited:

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
Is there a method to the madness that is ROB Uair? I tried to find a consistent method to DI the last hit correctly, but it sorta became a guessing game even once you wait until the middle / near the end of it. Is the only actual way to DI it correctly just to have good reflexes and DI during the 2nd to last hit / in-between?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Is there a method to the madness that is ROB Uair? I tried to find a consistent method to DI the last hit correctly, but it sorta became a guessing game even once you wait until the middle / near the end of it. Is the only actual way to DI it correctly just to have good reflexes and DI during the 2nd to last hit / in-between?
From what Ive experienced using it, it is wonky as hell. Like, part of it depends on which way ROB is drifting when he does it (think of MKs tornado in Brawl, how if he moved right or left, you had to take that direction into account when DI'ing). If you can tell which way the ROB is drifting, use the first hit to DI to kind of position yourself one way or the other & then DI up (not 100% sure, but I;ve had success DI'ing up in dittos) if he's falling, and ???maybe down if he's rising?? (total conjecture on that one, give it a test; theory behind it is you wind up DI'ing through it ala Luigi's Down+B, but based on where you are in the attack, the bottom or top) during the multi-hits, or up & in/out on the last few hits as you mentioned.

Wish I had better info for you.

Also, the combo/string thread thingy will be up tonight. I know I said a few hours ago... but I got busy.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
If the R.O.B. player has enough damage, their rage factor will boost you high enough (assuming they're using Down Throw to Up Air) to the point where you can just air dodge out of it. But, I don't go too deep into that sort of thing (I actually don't know much about DI other than it means Directional Input and is a survival tactic), so you'll have to ask the others around here.

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
From what Ive experienced using it, it is wonky as hell. Like, part of it depends on which way ROB is drifting when he does it (think of MKs tornado in Brawl, how if he moved right or left, you had to take that direction into account when DI'ing). If you can tell which way the ROB is drifting, use the first hit to DI to kind of position yourself one way or the other & then DI up (not 100% sure, but I;ve had success DI'ing up in dittos) if he's falling, and ???maybe down if he's rising?? (total conjecture on that one, give it a test; theory behind it is you wind up DI'ing through it ala Luigi's Down+B, but based on where you are in the attack, the bottom or top) during the multi-hits, or up & in/out on the last few hits as you mentioned.

Wish I had better info for you.

Also, the combo/string thread thingy will be up tonight. I know I said a few hours ago... but I got busy.
Ah ok. I couldn't even find the right frame data for it, the pastebin frame data dump only lists the last hit of Uair, and the sixriver data lacks KB stuff. As far as I'm aware of, those are the only generally reliable frame data stuff available.

I messed around with DIing up, I'm not entirely sure if it has any reliable benefit. It actually puts you closer to being KOd since you're moving upwards, however it could probably be used to escape if ROB is falling dowards. You'll still get knocked around in the same direction generally I think. It makes looking for what way to DI the last two hits easier too, I guess.

Yeah, I think it's gonna come down to figuring out what to do once you're about to be hit by the 2nd to last hitbox or the last one. His vertical and horizontal velocity + the direction he's facing makes this super wonky to work with @_@

If taking the risk of DIing isn't worth it, DIing straight down would at least near negligibly affect your trajectory I guess (it would only do so beneficially). Better than nothing I suppose...

DIing to get under him won't work, from what I've tested.

Last edited:

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
So, did you guys know that its still possible to turn-around gyro CHARGE (and then immediately shoot) while grounded, without getting seeing the stand come out & then roll.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So, did you guys know that its still possible to turn-around gyro CHARGE (and then immediately shoot) while grounded, without getting seeing the stand come out & then roll.
Turn while charging on the ground? Or charge fully then whip around and shoot? The closest I've gotten to something like what you're saying is facing one way in the air then using gyro to immediately face the other way.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
@ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch Yep.. turning and charging on the ground. Its glorious that this is still in... even if it is a bit difficult in terms of timing.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Is it just b reversing, but very quickly moving stick to neutral?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
@ Crome Crome @ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch

I wound up going to bed somewhat early last night, and the time I spent labbing was spent on other stuff.

At the moment, I can get it with like... 10% accuracy, so with accuracy that low I obviously don't have a firm grasp of the timing of it, and even the inputs. It seems to be really similar to a standard b-reverse, which makes me think that I either have to return the control stick back to neutral really quick, that the timing is a bit different, or there is a tiny change in how i move the stick overall (such as going from 3 o'clock directly to 7/8 o'clock without touching 6 o'clock) or something. More testing will be done tonight and tomorrow.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
@ Crome Crome @ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch
Yeah. I'll go into how it works.

The Brawl way
I want to mention this because I think it will help learn the Smash 4 way.
Let's assume you were running right. What you did was:
:GCR: > :GCD:+:GCB:>:GCDL: or :GCL:
It looked like this:
@1:49

The Smash 4 way
The problem with doing it the Brawl way in Smash 4 is that when you down b, and this hit a direction, you will end up rolling. That's no fun and it makes this maneuver a bit more difficult than the Brawl way.

What you do now is this (same scenario):
:GCR:>:GCDL:+:GCB:
Less to do with the control stick, but the maneuverability with the stick is more strict.
*DO NOT ROLL THE STICK IN SMASH 4*
The stick needs to make a straight b-line to the down-left diagonal (or down-right if you were running the opposite way).
Pseudo rolling the stick around worked in Brawl and made it very easy to perform.
I decided to record a clip of this as well for comparison:

Animation differences
In Brawl, ROB is pulling out the gyro, then turning around.
In Smash 4, he turns around and then pulls out the gyro.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion on it! Happy learning!

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Shame nobody knows how to do it with Wiimote sideways, but I think I can "translate" it myself. I know that B on GCC means 1 on Wiimote sideways, so I'll just learn it using that plus Wiimote's D-pad.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Shame nobody knows how to do it with Wiimote sideways, but I think I can "translate" it myself. I know that B on GCC means 1 on Wiimote sideways, so I'll just learn it using that plus Wiimote's D-pad.
I could try it for you later. Should just be a left and right input at the same time which would result in a diagonal input. If not, I'm going to dub it impossible with a sideways WiiMote.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
I actually got a question for everyone and wanted to know if side b is ever useful or if any of you use side b at all? I don't know I just never see a use for this move since the end lag is just so horrendous.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I actually got a question for everyone and wanted to know if side b is ever useful or if any of you use side b at all? I don't know I just never see a use for this move since the end lag is just so horrendous.
Almost never. Usually only for stuff like fully charged charge shot, aurasphere, shadowball, or mega's fsmash.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I just use it at random, but only once or twice a match. Usually best to use it on an opponent coming at you. Jump over their dash attack, or jump right before it, and then use it. I don't get much use from it as a reflector because my buddy I usually play against doesn't use projectile characters.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Catching landings and ledge getups (covers roll, possibly jump, and straight get up).
Start it at the ledge, if they roll, just fade back. Use it at %s when they won't die. And it's best used when they will die. But, using it for damage and knocking them back off the stage is gold too.

Last edited:

It's All Fiction

Smash Rookie
Does anyone think the ROB nerf to up-throw was justified? I'm probably asking a biased group here, but it really upsets me that his most consistent kill move was taken out when Ness can still just b-throw and kill you at 80%...

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
No, it wasn't justified. Had they nerfed Ness' B-throw, I would have accepted it without much complaining. To take a kill throw from ROB, while leaving it in for Ness, a character who is relatively combo heavy/quick to rack up damage & has some pseudo-guaranteed set-ups for said B-throw kill (and other kills) is ludicrous. Also, they left in Toon Link's (which isnt as strong, and is way more punishable on whiff, so... eh) Would have even been more upset had they not fuxed with Sonic's.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
@ Syde7 Syde7 your avatar is amazing.

Everyone in my community, even those that hate ROB, think the uthrow nerf was unjustified. It kind of came out of nowhere. I honestly thought uthrow helped distinguish ROB from other zoners in this game by giving him the niche of "zoner with strong and reliable kill power." Unfortunately, we'll just have to deal with it. At least he still has beep boop. =P

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
@ Syde7 Syde7 your avatar is amazing.

Everyone in my community, even those that hate ROB, think the uthrow nerf was unjustified. It kind of came out of nowhere. I honestly thought uthrow helped distinguish ROB from other zoners in this game by giving him the niche of "zoner with strong and reliable kill power." Unfortunately, we'll just have to deal with it. At least he still has beep boop. =P
Thanks! I was in the mood for a new AV, and stumbled across a legit science/learning toy (that's the actual box for it) and immediately said "This is it... This is the Avatar ive dreamt of" and scooted off to fux with it in Photoshop. This was the original pic

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Thanks! I was in the mood for a new AV, and stumbled across a legit science/learning toy (that's the actual box for it) and immediately said "This is it... This is the Avatar ive dreamt of" and scooted off to fux with it in Photoshop. This was the original pic
The robot that was originally there is basically R.O.B. without a body or correct base. It doesn't seem too different.

The nerfed up throw was unjustified, in my opinion. Used to be able to deal with my buddy's Kirby at 120%, now I have to wait till 150%. When am I going to get him to 150% without killing him first?!?!?!

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Does anyone think the ROB nerf to up-throw was justified? I'm probably asking a biased group here, but it really upsets me that his most consistent kill move was taken out when Ness can still just b-throw and kill you at 80%...
Def sucks. Justified? Prob not.
But we'll work with it. Gonna have to do a lot more to bring the robot down.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
hi there i wanted to know what are ROB strenght and weakness ? does he have any really bad MU ?

Thanks a lot

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Strengths: Aeriel abilities are still pretty potent, kill power increased, great zoning and projectile game.
Weakness: Up special has less horizontal range, making him easier to gimp off stage.
Anything I missed will probably be said by the others in this thread.

Last edited:

It's All Fiction

Smash Rookie
hi there i wanted to know what are ROB strenght and weakness ? does he have any really bad MU ?

Thanks a lot
A nice strength is how versatile he is. As a ROB you have the option to hone a style you're comfortable with. ROB has solid camping game, solid kill power, solid combo game, REALLY solid edgeguard game, God-Like recovery, etc. He has a lot of tools and a a lot of different applications for many of them. You can be aggressive and in your opponent's face, you can maintain distance with laser and gyro, or a mix of both. He's a really well-rounded character.

As for weaknesses He's really easy to juggle with his relative floatiness as well as being pretty easy-to-hit combo meat with a heavy weight and, and having a large hurtbox (that being said, his huge weight lets him live to really high percents). He also doesn't have the best frame data to handle rushdowns with as much ease than one may like.

The worst MU's for ROB are Sheik and Pikachu imo. Sheik has a pretty good/even match-up against everyone so....
Pikachu makes things difficult because of his amazing neutral game, mobility, and combos. Not to mention he's so short, throwing gyros and lasers is a struggle. He can even crouch under the f-smash from ROB. Rosalina can be obnoxious but as long as you apply constant pressure and aren't too gyro reliant, it could be much worse. I also find going up against luigi sonic or ness isn't actually that bad. The gyro is your saving grace in these match-ups. He has pretty good/manageable match-ups against the top-high tiers, just don't expect to have the easiest time as if ROB is OP, because he isn't.

Last edited:

DeliciousDave

Smash Cadet
R.O.B main here from the Northwest. Recently watched Holy's matches and he was glide tossing a little with the gyro when he was throwing it. It is probably in the Advanced Techniques thread but I couldn't really find a clear explanation.
So, I wanted to know how to do the glide tossing with the gyro and if it was difficult.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
@BoTastic! Hey bossman, PM me some stuff about Mario. The Sheik MU is stupid... Its my understanding that its not a terrible MU for Mario, and I need a secondary for that MU & you're the only person I know of who has a Mario along with their ROB. Looking for tips on the Sheik MU specically, as well as other hard MUs for ROB Mario does well in, and general tips (outside of the clusterfugg that is the Mario boards). Ty kind sir.

It's All Fiction

Smash Rookie
R.O.B main here from the Northwest. Recently watched Holy's matches and he was glide tossing a little with the gyro when he was throwing it. It is probably in the Advanced Techniques thread but I couldn't really find a clear explanation.
So, I wanted to know how to do the glide tossing with the gyro and if it was difficult.
Have you seen this?

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Hey there! I've been an avid R.O.B player since Brawl, and despite picking up Jigglypuff and a few other characters the Operating Buddy is still my best by a decent margin. Yet... somehow I never ended up actually coming here, despite contributing regularly to various other threads for my other mains! I aim to fix that.

Two questions: First, are there any tricks and the like I need to know? (Not counting tech- I'm already going to hook up that thread and practice my z-drop aerials and such. I mean just little things that I might need to consider while playing, such as the mindset I want to be in when I'm Rob.)

Second, is DA -> SHFF'd Fair -> Ultilt (angled up) reliable? It's something I use on my friends often enough, but I'm fairly certain none of them DI properly.

Top Bottom