• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yep, @dettadeus confirmed that gyro canceling is still in the game, just significantly more difficult:

The video is for Smash 3DS since Smash Wii U was not released at the time, but I've gyro cancelled in Wii U so it's still possible. Don't give up hope!
I love you.
yea gyro cancelling is in, 1 frame window and all that

have fun
I fking love you.

Last edited:

Rayman!

Smash Cadet
NNID
mambur321
3DS FC
4122-5123-5521
Anyone else laugh when R.O.B does something weird? Im male, but for some reason I find it cute, yes, cute as in harmless, etc. But on spectate, this donkey kong was clueless, and a R.O.B kept throwing a gyro at him while walking forward slowly, no jumps, just throwing gyros. It really made me laugh for no reason.

B_Bech

Smash Cadet
NNID
B_Bech
3DS FC
2578-3111-2218
omg i love you. you understand me <3
edit: wait, gyro cancelling more difficult? is it in still? i dont care how diff it is...i didnt think it was still a thing...
If
Yep, @dettadeus confirmed that gyro canceling is still in the game, just significantly more difficult:

The video is for Smash 3DS since Smash Wii U was not released at the time, but I've gyro cancelled in Wii U so it's still possible. Don't give up hope!
The timing is waaaaaay more strict on Wii U sadly. :(

I'm not familiar with Eric's ROB, but I think your flashiness will definitely be more rewarded in Smash 4! I just really love Rob in this game, I feel like I'm in the minority though. I hate him in P:M compared to Brawl... he's so much fun here.

Maybe it's due to the new ledge mechanics?. He's a beast at getting offstage kills and winning the ledge war as long as you're smart with fuel and such. I love how early he can kill some of the characters people consider top tier like Diddy just by the simple drop of a gyro.

Maybe the character IS technically worse than he is in Brawl.... but the new engine-- in addition to the way the cast is balanced--makes him feel (to me) viable in a way he never seemed before.

I bet there is so much more to this Rob we've yet to discover. Like today in a tournament match I pulled off an amazing air string on toon link at a decent %. I guess since he was just my ssecondary I'm not getting phantom limb like you guys. Haha! (Or maybe I'm totally wrong!)

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
If

The timing is waaaaaay more strict on Wii U sadly. :(

I'm not familiar with Eric's ROB, but I think your flashiness will definitely be more rewarded in Smash 4! I just really love Rob in this game, I feel like I'm in the minority though. I hate him in P:M compared to Brawl... he's so much fun here.

Maybe it's due to the new ledge mechanics?. He's a beast at getting offstage kills and winning the ledge war as long as you're smart with fuel and such. I love how early he can kill some of the characters people consider top tier like Diddy just by the simple drop of a gyro.

Maybe the character IS technically worse than he is in Brawl.... but the new engine-- in addition to the way the cast is balanced--makes him feel (to me) viable in a way he never seemed before.

I bet there is so much more to this Rob we've yet to discover. Like today in a tournament match I pulled off an amazing air string on toon link at a decent %. I guess since he was just my ssecondary I'm not getting phantom limb like you guys. Haha! (Or maybe I'm totally wrong!)
I feel ya man. Everyone's diff. I'll send you some of my old vids of Brawl play and you will see the things that I wish I could still utilize.

I'm starting to enjoy ROB a bit more. His nerfed bair is killing me a ton...holy crap. I'm trying tho. I'm starting to put work into this char now. So hopefully I can be able to contribute to the cause and post videos soon.

Anyone else laugh when R.O.B does something weird? Im male, but for some reason I find it cute, yes, cute as in harmless, etc. But on spectate, this donkey kong was clueless, and a R.O.B kept throwing a gyro at him while walking forward slowly, no jumps, just throwing gyros. It really made me laugh for no reason.
ROB is down right adorbz

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Has anyone found any frame traps into usmash? I feel like currently the only ways to land it are making a read, or usmash OoS on a poorly spaced aerial. I would love if ROB had more ways to confirm into this move (airdodge landing lag trap maybe?) considering how strong it is.
I personally enjoy cornering ppl near the ledge, forcing a roll, and punishing their roll with an usmash. I secure a lot of kills this way.

Low % utilt into usmash should work.

A gyro falling on someone's head when either zdropped or tossed in the air can lead to a kill. Just note that the direction R.O.B. is facing when the gyro is thrown is the direction your opponent will project when hit.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Oh man, I love zdropping in this game. I get so many more traps and followups in this compared to Brawl for some reason. I've gotten countless gimps and combos using that thing.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
*Snicker* That's pretty funny.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hey has anyone encountered this werid glitch on Lylat Cruise before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shGJSuOWDco

It makes you randomly fall onto the ground and I actually get punished in the video near the end. It seems rather stupid and I dont understand why it happened.

Anyone have an Idea? =S
I already hate Lylat with a passion. But now I have a legit reason to... wth? Were you doing anything out of the ordinary before it happened? Lucina was landing when it happened and you were either grounded or trying to jump. I have no idea. "Good" find tho

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Well I cant remember what my friend was doing, I was just shielding if I remember correctly. Im thinking the slant made me go into a falling animation straight to on the ground. So its something to do with stableness of the level being glitchy or something. I would hate to lose games because of this :/

That match Ryan was showing me that if you airdodge into the ground you get lots of landing lag, we were testing that because I wasnt aware that happened back then. But apparently we just found this on the stage by pure accident.

Last edited:

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
It looks to be something momentum related(?)
The second clip, ROB shields and is pushed back slightly. Once he gets to the end of the slop, he experiences the "fall". Its almost like the character runs out of room, and their momentum is retained in the form of a downward push or something.

The clip w/ Lucina... it looks like you guys shielded at the same time. Sure that has nothing to do with it though. I can't tell if Lucina was ?airdodging to the ground?

It almost looks like what happens when a char is pushed off an edge when shielding (the one where the opponent has a guaranteed like... 2-3 hits) and they are unable to jump, tech, roll, or otherwise act/prevent it from happening I've seen the video... just can't find it (I think its linked on SWF front page about a week or so worth of posts back). If that's the case, it leads me to believe maybe the sloped edges, somewhere in the game's code or whatever count as platforms??

Other than that... no idea.

Curious stuff.

pikmin.org

Smash Apprentice
I personally enjoy cornering ppl near the ledge, forcing a roll, and punishing their roll with an usmash. I secure a lot of kills this way.

Low % utilt into usmash should work.

A gyro falling on someone's head when either zdropped or tossed in the air can lead to a kill. Just note that the direction R.O.B. is facing when the gyro is thrown is the direction your opponent will project when hit.
Oh wow, didn't notice that the direction R.O.B faces determines the knockback direction - good find!

As for u-tilt --> usmash, I'm pretty sure it works, but if you can combo it into an ussash, then categorically speaking you'll always be able to combo into an u-tilt instead, which is probably better because after that you can still follow up with an up-air right?

So basically, you're choosing between, in a lot of low % scenarios: u-tilt --> usmash OR u-tilt --> u-tilt --> up-air, the latter being more damaging. Am I right in thinking this?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Oh wow, didn't notice that the direction R.O.B faces determines the knockback direction - good find!

As for u-tilt --> usmash, I'm pretty sure it works, but if you can combo it into an ussash, then categorically speaking you'll always be able to combo into an u-tilt instead, which is probably better because after that you can still follow up with an up-air right?

So basically, you're choosing between, in a lot of low % scenarios: u-tilt --> usmash OR u-tilt --> u-tilt --> up-air, the latter being more damaging. Am I right in thinking this?
Below is a video showcasing the gyro property. This is Brawl gameplay but it's the only footage I have atm. The showcasing of this property lasts until 2 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQDwjDlij9U

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I suggest posting this to the general Wii U discussion board, @ Leisha Leisha
I'd hope that someone else has seen this.

Trespayne

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trespayne
Which direction does R.O.B want to throw at low, medium, and high percent? And what are his best follow ups to them? I know uthrow kills at high % but I'm having a hard time getting uair off after dthrow at anything besides low %.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Which direction does R.O.B want to throw at low, medium, and high percent? And what are his best follow ups to them? I know uthrow kills at high % but I'm having a hard time getting uair off after dthrow at anything besides low %.
You missing some of the down throw to u-air followups could be due to messing up the timing. But if they really are out of range, and you are close to a ledge, you should most likely throw them off and go for a gimp. Sometimes tho you can keep throwing them upwards for the sake of going for more juggle damage.

Oo, also also, when they do become a little too high % to the point that you can't follow up a dthrow w/ an u-air, then you can try baiting air dodges. Do an empty full jump at them, bait an airdodge and then punish.

#profit

-----------------------
I recommend renaming the thread to The R.O.B. Q&A Thread @ChiboSempai. Just b/c it's meant to be a general Q&A. Up to you, cheebz.

Last edited:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Are there any situations where dthrow->uair is a guaranteed kill? I'm having trouble believing all of the follow-ups in Falln's highlight video are true combos.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Are there any situations where dthrow->uair is a guaranteed kill? I'm having trouble believing all of the follow-ups in Falln's highlight video are true combos.
Nah, I think most of them were air dodgable. I would say that maybe they strung together, but even he seemed to delay his followups a tad which makes it further seem like it shouldn't have connected.

Over time we'll dissect the hell out of d-throw to u-air. We'll get all the data our hearts desire.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
I heard somewhere that Rob is the easiest to combo, but I' don't know why. I'm not saying his weight/height puts him at a disadvantage, but just that moves connect to him well. Is that true?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I don't know about easiest, but he's definitely up there. I went to a tournament yesterday and I got totally wrecked by a Bowser Jr. player named @ Tweek Tweek . Jr.'s Uair combos into itself like 4 times following up with a fair lol.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I don't know about easiest, but he's definitely up there. I went to a tournament yesterday and I got totally wrecked by a Bowser Jr. player named @ Tweek Tweek . Jr.'s Uair combos into itself like 4 times following up with a fair lol.
How did Tweek place?
Heard some scary stuff about him.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I believe he got 7th. He got MAD respect from basically the entire venue. The entirety of the room was freaking out every time he did well. That guy's an inspiring player.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Ah ok, I'm hype for him. Lovin these newbloods coming in and wrecking faces.

1FC0

Smash Lord
You mean that men can find things cute too ???? Pfffffft yeah right! Next thing you tell me is that men are capable of love....
Everyone knows men have no emotions!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
You mean that men can find things cute too ???? Pfffffft yeah right! Next thing you tell me is that men are capable of love....
Everyone knows men have no emotions!
Unless you're being sarcastic, I think a lot of people on this thread find that offensive, myself included...

But since I'd rather not start an argument...

Based on what you've seen and/or played, where do you guys think R.O.B. belongs on an official tier list?

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Unless you're being sarcastic, I think a lot of people on this thread find that offensive, myself included...

But since I'd rather not start an argument...

Based on what you've seen and/or played, where do you guys think R.O.B. belongs on an official tier list?
The meta-game is way too young for any semblance of an accurate tier list, but I'd say ROB falls into upper mid-tier currently. Btw noone's going to get offended by silly crap like that, lighten up.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Well I cant remember what my friend was doing, I was just shielding if I remember correctly. Im thinking the slant made me go into a falling animation straight to on the ground. So its something to do with stableness of the level being glitchy or something. I would hate to lose games because of this :/

That match Ryan was showing me that if you airdodge into the ground you get lots of landing lag, we were testing that because I wasnt aware that happened back then. But apparently we just found this on the stage by pure accident.
I had the exact same thing happen to a friend of mine when we were playing friendlies at a tournament yesterday. I'm 99% sure your hunch is right in that you get thrown into the falling state for a super brief period of time that it looks like you're just cancelling something.

It's early like someone already said, but I'd probably say mid. There may be ATs or just tactics in general to help us, but ROB's survivability was severely cut just from the nerf to his Up B.

Also, just a little tidbit I learned from the tournament: Sheik does REALLY well against ROB. Combos everywhere...

Also, be careful Uairing as you try and recover low to the ledge. It extends his hurtbox out to his hands and you can get hit when you wouldn't expect it. Sonic's bair for example seems disjointed and hits below his foot. He can bair into the ground near the ledge and still hit you while you're below.

More stuff I forgot:
Fading SH Nair -> Fsmash is a great spacing tool.
So is perfect pivot -> Fsmash
SH Nair -> Smash is nice because a lot of people either drop their shield or get poked if they shield the whole thing.
If you SHFF Nair, you won't hit in front of you with it. Be careful if you're in that habit.

Last edited:

R.O.B. the Red Rocket

Smash Rookie
NNID
thealmightygrunt
3DS FC
4227-3377-8582
Don't worry all, for I am here to ease your minds. You may ask me, your former and now present ROB overlord, any questions you may have.

01010010 01001111 01000010 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01001100 01101111 01110110 01100101 00111011 00100000 01010010 01001111 01000010 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01001100 01101001 01100110 01100101

btw: I also made this cause I do have a JP copy of the game and do main ROB again after maining him for 6 years in Brawl :p

ROB is good

LV_Navi

Smash Rookie
Just thought I would introduce myself real quick. Name's Ivan, I'm a vegas player going by the tag Navi. Came here to see if I can help the rob community a bit as well as step up my rob game.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I had the exact same thing happen to a friend of mine when we were playing friendlies at a tournament yesterday. I'm 99% sure your hunch is right in that you get thrown into the falling state for a super brief period of time that it looks like you're just cancelling something.

It's early like someone already said, but I'd probably say mid. There may be ATs or just tactics in general to help us, but ROB's survivability was severely cut just from the nerf to his Up B.

Also, just a little tidbit I learned from the tournament: Sheik does REALLY well against ROB. Combos everywhere...

Also, be careful Uairing as you try and recover low to the ledge. It extends his hurtbox out to his hands and you can get hit when you wouldn't expect it. Sonic's bair for example seems disjointed and hits below his foot. He can bair into the ground near the ledge and still hit you while you're below.

More stuff I forgot:
Fading SH Nair -> Fsmash is a great spacing tool.
So is perfect pivot -> Fsmash
SH Nair -> Smash is nice because a lot of people either drop their shield or get poked if they shield the whole thing.
If you SHFF Nair, you won't hit in front of you with it. Be careful if you're in that habit.
Thanks. Happy holidays everyone! (Couldn't say that sooner because I was sick)

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Just thought I would introduce myself real quick. Name's Ivan, I'm a vegas player going by the tag Navi. Came here to see if I can help the rob community a bit as well as step up my rob game.
Welcome! If you ever want to wifi, hit me up!

Perfect Pivoting is gonna help, but it's not a metagame changer for ROB.
oo, I think you might be surprised.

Last edited:
Top Bottom