• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I'm writing out a rough guide for ROB that we can be using for teaching newcomers how to use this guy.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you: My husbando: ROB!

Rating system:
:4rob: - Even the ROB toy was more functional
:4rob::4rob: - Many errors in the code
:4rob::4rob::4rob: - It's usable, but needs a quick patch
:4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob: - Very good, usable program
:4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob: - So advanced it could create life on other planets.

Normals

:GCA: - :4rob::4rob::4rob:
Pretty basic 2-hit jab combo. It's probably his fastest attack on the ground and has decent range. It's largely unchanged from his brawl jab, however the IASA frames on his Jab1 seem pretty fast, meaning you can jab-cancel things into it, or just go for the regular combo for some guaranteed damage and space

The main things for jab-cancelling at the moment seem to be Dtilt (for extra damage and a trip chance at lower percents, allowing for more hits) and grab (for setups to a potential kill/combo)
[First hit does 3%, Second does 3%, Total of 6%]

(DASH):GCA: - :4rob::4rob::4rob:
This also seems pretty basic, your generic fast startup dash attack thats extremely punishable on block, but great for punishing a laggy attack. It pops up lightly, which can lead to a F-air and a potential edgeguard if done in the right place, doesn't amount to anything above mid percents though
[Always does 7%]

:GCA::GCR: - :4rob::4rob::4rob:
This one is actually the most depressing change to ROB in my opinion, While the move is still okay, this used to be a monstrous spacing tool in brawl, allowing him to outrange even marth in the neutral game, and made him a very annoying foe in the neutral game. Now, he no longer leans forward on the spot, shortening the range a fair amount, with the only minor buff being ever so slightly reduced cooldown

This is still a good tool for spacing, particularly when using pivot cancelling to perform a retreating Ftilt, so be sure to learn the exact spacing of this move for maximum mid-range annoyance
[8% on the fist, 6% on the arm]

:GCA::GCD: - :4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob:
This was a good move in brawl, and it's only gotten better! Due to Ftilt losing some range, this is now ROB's longest ranged horizontal tilt, and it's also OBSCENELY fast to come out and end. The IASA frames on this moves are so fast I'm inclined to think it's an oversight on the programmers part. Not only this, but due to the increased hitstun from brawl, Rob can now do short combos with this move! It also has a chance (estimating at 20% chance) of tripping the opponent, from which you can follow up with some more meaty things!

Just a few things I've been able to combo with (all stop working around 40%, unless specified otherwise):
Dtilt > Dtilt (A common strategy is to mash dtilts out untill one trips, and then grab)
Dtilt > Grab
Dtilt > Ftilt
Dtilt > Dash Attack (Worked up to 80% from testing, possibly further)
Dtilt > Gyro (Must be fully charged, works up to 120%)
Dtilt (trip) > Dash-grab
Dtilt (trip) > Fsmash
Dtilt (trip) > Dash-Usmash
[Always does 5%]

:GCA::GCU: - :4rob::4rob:

It's got it's uses. but that's all I can really give it. It's a great anti-air tool, and very good for pressuring people on platforms, it can also chain into itself at lower percents and even into a uair! however it's very limited and has awful horizontal distance. so be sparing.

As a side note, this makes for a great taunt, as ROB raises the roof like a champion
[Has multiple different hitboxes, but it typically does 2 hits dealing 8% total]

Smashes

:GCCR: - :4rob::4rob::4rob:

The changes to this move are very interesting, it's gotten buffed and nerfed at the same time and ended up just going sideways since brawl. For starter, the range on the laser beam is HUUUGE now, and the trade off is that its far slower, and has sourspots. It's still got decent kill potential, but only a point blank. You can also angle it up and down to hit people approaching from the air, or hit people on the ledge, respectively. He also spins his head during the charge animation, which is adorable.

This move has 3 hitboxes on it, the sweetspot, which is right at robs head, the normal hit, which is in the middle of the beam, and the sourspot, which is where the beam ends. This move isn't really a reliable killer anymore due to being so slow, however its got a niche as a spacing tool to sort of replace our brawl ftilt and cover us well in neutral, particularly with pivot cancelling.
[Sweetspot does 15% & kills at ~115%, normal does 11%, sourspot does 6%]

:GCCD: - :4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob:

The Dsmash is similar to how it was in brawl. In brawl it was a good, fast GTFO move that dealt reasonable damage and killed at really high percentages (think like 200%). In this though, it's very slightly slower, but in exchange, it now sends at a MUCH more horizontal angle. It still doesn't kill, but it sets up for edgeguards with the new angle.

Long story short, its the same move used in the same way, but has more followup potential than it used to
[does anywhere between 13% and 5 hits, to 8% and 3 hits, depending on how you spaced it]

:GCCU: - :4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob:

The changes to this move are amazing. It was a restricted tool at best in brawl, being unable to hit opponents stood right next to him, but apparently, ProjectM has been giving nintendo some idea because NOW the move has a little pop-up hitbox to place a nearby opponent right in line for the main blast.

This will likely be one of robs main sources of kills, being one of his strongest attacks and finally having a reliable way of knocking people into it. You REALY need to learn how to get people to fall into this, because it will be one of out main tools this game.
[does 3% pop-up and then 14% for the blast, 17% total. kills at ~100%]

Aerials

This move is similar to how it was in brawl, except with a bit of a less...silly hitbox. it autocancels in a shorthop, covers all around rob and is an all around solid move. it's kinda slow on startup though, and the damage/knockback is pretty low compared to what it used to be, which is a little sad.

You'll be wanting to use this to pressure people in the air, as well as to cover yourself when trying to recover. you can even use it as an air-to-ground tool, but make sure to get the spacing right on it.
[8% at all times]

:GCA::GCR: - :4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob:

Rob's staple edgeguarding tool makes a return to smash4, functioning in largely the same way it did in brawl. this move will be extremely useful for all your offstage needs. This move is one of ROBs best for both combo's and edgeguards. when it comes to combo, you can set up a combo with this by doing a dash attack and then following that up, and at low-mid% you can usually follow up with another fair.

The animation has changed slightly, but I can tell you that the way it hits is almost identical, it's a short-lasting arm thrust with low cooldown, so you can throw it out during recoveries to knock them back offstage. In brawl, edgeguarding was ROB's main way of killing, and I don't expect that to change much in this iteration of smash either, so learn how the hitbox works (the animation is deceptive) and send them to an early grave.
[Always does 7%]

:GCA::GCL: - :4rob::4rob::4rob:

Another move that hasn't changed all that much from brawl. The main difference here is that it lost a lot of it's 'tackle' hitbox, in which ROB himself would hit the opponent. now you can only hit with the booster. A unique property of this move is that is lasts a deceptively long time, meaning it can eat up spot-dodges and rolls handily. It also has reasonable knockback, making it a solid offstage (and sometimes onstage) killer, It is pretty slow however, and it's pretty easy to avoid with the removal of the body hitbox.

This move also propels ROB forward in the direction he's facing. RAR-ing his Bair is actually totally safe on shield, just to add another tool to robs incredible neutral game. Learn to use this for pressure, spacing and edgeguarding.
[12% early and kills ~130%, 6% late]

:GCA::GCD: - :4rob:

The one move that ROB has that is truly AWFUL. ROB's Dair is a stalling aerial which can spike opponents. but this move is extremely slow on both startup and cooldown, its not really usable for edgeguarding due to the sheer lack of speed and versatility. You cant even use it as an option to land like most characters can with their Dair. Avoid this one
[11% sweetspot, 5% sourspot]

:GCA::GCU: - :4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob:

A really nice surprise to this game, Aesthetically, ROB's Uair hasn't changed in the slightest, as he stills flails his arms above his head and hits rapidly. however now, its actually a kill move. Due to the slightly increased hitstun in this game, rob can combo into his Uair from Dthrow as late at 100%. making him one of the few characters to have a legitimate kill combo on the majority of the cast!

This is by far the most improved move in ROBs repertoire, and I would highly suggest learning how to use it properly in order to reach ROBs full potential
[10% from 5 hits. Kills ~100% in air]

Specials

:GCB: - :4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob:
Functionally, this works similar to brawl. There's a slight difference in how it will be used, as rather than the semi/full charge just stunning/knocking back respectively, they both now knock the opponent upwards/up and back respectively.

In my opinion, this makes the semi-charged laser extremely useful as the small amount of knockback will put the opponent into a techchase sort of situation, allowing you to get in at lower percents and give you kill setups at higher percents, particularly if they get popped onto a platform.
[does 4% semi-charged, 10% fully-charged.]

:GCB::GCR: - :4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob:

Yet another nice surprise, this move now has a cute as hell punch on the end of the attack, as well as the ability to move around while spinning about. The finisher isnt much of a killer, but it makes the move much more dynamic, and actually hits WAAAAY behind him as well, despite looking like it only hits at the front. The new movement options need more exploration at this point but the ability to control your movement will be great for mindgames, aswell and helping as a landing option. There's a lot of potential for a good move here, and we just need to find the uses for it.
[8-15% depending on where the opponent is in the move, and how long you mash for]

:GCB::GCD: - :4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob:

Pretty much the same move from brawl, coming over in most of its former glory. I say MOST of its former glory, as due to the new game mechanics, glide-tossing is no longer a thing and glide toss mobility with robs Gyro was one of the thing that made the Gyro so good, particularly as rob had multiple different length glide tosses.
Still, this is a very versatile move, and when fully charged, it can be used for extra damage combos, due to the insane speed that rob fires it once charging it up. Once again, most of the usage around Gyro involves what happens AFTER you're gotten it out, either at an item in hand, or as a stage hazard.
[8-10% depending on charge, 2% per hit once spinning]

:GCB::GCU: - :4rob::4rob::4rob:

His recovery, distance wise it's very good, but he's a sitting duck thoughout it now, as they have removed the ability to boost and use an aerial at the same time, not to mention you don't get your fuel back untill you get your feet (boosters?) back on the ground. He holds a superman pose when boosting though, which looks cool and is yet another reason to love the robot. You can extend how long your fuel lasts by tapping B repeatedly, rather than holding it down.
[Doesnt do any damage on its own]

THROWS (You dont need the pummel)

:GCR: - :4rob::4rob:

Pretty basic throw, doesn't lead to much and doesn't kill. you only really wanna use this to throw the opponent offstage
[8%]

:GCL: - :4rob::4rob:

Slightly better version of the Fthrow, does a bit more damage and can kill at really high percents near the ledge, another one you dont want to use unless it's to get them offstage
[10%]

:GCD: - :4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob:

Your best throw for sure, it pops the opponent up for a free Uair to make for 20% and a potential followup at low percents, and a kill combo at higher percents. you'll be using this 90% of the time
[10%]

:GCU: - :4rob::4rob::4rob:

Nothing too special, but it's your most damaging throw and it can kill at very high percents. use this if you're just failing to land another killer
[12%, kills at ~170%]

I'll probably refine this later and we can use it for an early character guide. Leave me your thoughts and questions, folks.

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
Wow, G~P, nice job with that guide! I didn't know there were so many combo possibilities that you could do with down+A. I've just been going for more down+As/ Dash Attack/ Gyro. But it's nice to know there is so many options. I'm usually a bit paranoid when trying to grab offensively, but I'll have to try that down+A to grab out.

But- I gotta say- I'm really enjoying the 'new' ROB so far.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Why is no one talking about how awesome ROB is? I chose to play him on a whim and absolutely love what they did to him for Smash 4! He might me one of my mains or secondaries.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Yeah, i'm researching the **** out of ROB at this stage. going to do a more general section and post it as a guide, because I love this robot so much <3

Ansem

Smash Cadet
I'm writing out a rough guide for ROB that we can be using for teaching newcomers how to use this guy.

Rating system:
:4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob::4rob: - So advanced it could create life on other planets.

Normals

Pretty basic 2-hit jab combo. It's probably his fastest attack on the ground and has decent range. It's largely unchanged from his brawl jab, however the IASA frames on his Jab1 seem pretty fast, meaning you can jab-cancel things into it, or just go for the regular combo for some guaranteed damage and space

The main things for jab-cancelling at the moment seem to be Dtilt (for extra damage and a trip chance at lower percents, allowing for more hits) and grab (for setups to a potential kill/combo)

This also seems pretty basic, your generic fast startup dash attack thats extremely punishable on block, but great for punishing a laggy attack. It pops up lightly, which can lead to a F-air and a potential edgeguard if done in the right place, doesn't amount to anything above mid percents though
[Always does 7%]

This one is actually the most depressing change to ROB in my opinion, While the move is still okay, this used to be a monstrous spacing tool in brawl, allowing him to outrange even marth in the neutral game, and made him a very annoying foe in the neutral game. Now, he no longer leans forward on the spot, shortening the range a fair amount, with the only minor buff being ever so slightly reduced cooldown

This is still a good tool for spacing, particularly when using pivot cancelling to perform a retreating Ftilt, so be sure to learn the exact spacing of this move for maximum mid-range annoyance

This was a good move in brawl, and it's only gotten better! Due to Ftilt losing some range, this is now ROB's longest ranged horizontal tilt, and it's also OBSCENELY fast to come out and end. The IASA frames on this moves are so fast I'm inclined to think it's an oversight on the programmers part. Not only this, but due to the increased hitstun from brawl, Rob can now do short combos with this move! It also has a chance (estimating at 20% chance) of tripping the opponent, from which you can follow up with some more meaty things!

Just a few things I've been able to combo with (all stop working around 40%, unless specified otherwise):
Dtilt > Dtilt (A common strategy is to mash dtilts out untill one trips, and then grab)
Dtilt > Grab
Dtilt > Ftilt
Dtilt (trip) > Dash-grab
Dtilt (trip) > Fsmash
[Always does 5%]

It's got it's uses. but that's all I can really give it. It's a great anti-air tool, and very good for pressuring people on platforms, it can also chain into itself at lower percents and even into a uair! however it's very limited and has awful horizontal distance. so be sparing.

As a side note, this makes for a great taunt, as ROB raises the roof like a champion
[Has multiple different hitboxes, but it typically does 2 hits dealing 8% total]

Smashes

The changes to this move are very interesting, it's gotten buffed and nerfed at the same time and ended up just going sideways since brawl. For starter, the range on the laser beam is HUUUGE now, and the trade off is that its far slower, and has sourspots. It's still got decent kill potential, but only a point blank. You can also angle it up and down to hit people approaching from the air, or hit people on the ledge, respectively. He also spins his head during the charge animation, which is adorable.

This move has 3 hitboxes on it, the sweetspot, which is right at robs head, the normal hit, which is in the middle of the beam, and the sourspot, which is where the beam ends. This move isn't really a reliable killer anymore due to being so slow, however its got a niche as a spacing tool to sort of replace our brawl ftilt and cover us well in neutral, particularly with pivot cancelling.

The Dsmash is similar to how it was in brawl. In brawl it was a good, fast GTFO move that dealt reasonable damage and killed at really high percentages (think like 200%). In this though, it's very slightly slower, but in exchange, it now sends at a MUCH more horizontal angle. It still doesn't kill, but it sets up for edgeguards with the new angle.

Long story short, its the same move used in the same way, but has more followup potential than it used to
[does anywhere between 13% and 5 hits, to 8% and 3 hits, depending on how you spaced it]

The changes to this move are amazing. It was a restricted tool at best in brawl, being unable to hit opponents stood right next to him, but apparently, ProjectM has been giving nintendo some idea because NOW the move has a little pop-up hitbox to place a nearby opponent right in line for the main blast.

This will likely be one of robs main sources of kills, being one of his strongest attacks and finally having a reliable way of knocking people into it. You REALY need to learn how to get people to fall into this, because it will be one of out main tools this game.

Aerials

This move is similar to how it was in brawl, except with a bit of a less...silly hitbox. it autocancels in a shorthop, covers all around rob and is an all around solid move. it's kinda slow on startup though, and the damage/knockback is pretty low compared to what it used to be, which is a little sad.

You'll be wanting to use this to pressure people in the air, as well as to cover yourself when trying to recover. you can even use it as an air-to-ground tool, but make sure to get the spacing right on it.
[8% at all times]

Rob's staple edgeguarding tool makes a return to smash4, functioning in largely the same way it did in brawl. this move will be extremely useful for all your offstage needs. This move is one of ROBs best for both combo's and edgeguards. when it comes to combo, you can set up a combo with this by doing a dash attack and then following that up, and at low-mid% you can usually follow up with another fair.

The animation has changed slightly, but I can tell you that the way it hits is almost identical, it's a short-lasting arm thrust with low cooldown, so you can throw it out during recoveries to knock them back offstage. In brawl, edgeguarding was ROB's main way of killing, and I don't expect that to change much in this iteration of smash either, so learn how the hitbox works (the animation is deceptive) and send them to an early grave.
[Always does 7%]

Another move that hasn't changed all that much from brawl. The main difference here is that it lost a lot of it's 'tackle' hitbox, in which ROB himself would hit the opponent. now you can only hit with the booster. A unique property of this move is that is lasts a deceptively long time, meaning it can eat up spot-dodges and rolls handily. It also has reasonable knockback, making it a solid offstage (and sometimes onstage) killer, It is pretty slow however, and it's pretty easy to avoid with the removal of the body hitbox.

This move also propels ROB forward in the direction he's facing. RAR-ing his Bair is actually totally safe on shield, just to add another tool to robs incredible neutral game. Learn to use this for pressure, spacing and edgeguarding.

The one move that ROB has that is truly AWFUL. ROB's Dair is a stalling aerial which can spike opponents. but this move is extremely slow on both startup and cooldown, its not really usable for edgeguarding due to the sheer lack of speed and versatility. You cant even use it as an option to land like most characters can with their Dair. Avoid this one

A really nice surprise to this game, Aesthetically, ROB's Uair hasn't changed in the slightest, as he stills flails his arms above his head and hits rapidly. however now, its actually a kill move. Due to the slightly increased hitstun in this game, rob can combo into his Uair from Dthrow as late at 100%. making him one of the few characters to have a legitimate kill combo on the majority of the cast!

This is by far the most improved move in ROBs repertoire, and I would highly suggest learning how to use it properly in order to reach ROBs full potential

Specials

Functionally, this works similar to brawl. There's a slight difference in how it will be used, as rather than the semi/full charge just stunning/knocking back respectively, they both now knock the opponent upwards/up and back respectively.

In my opinion, this makes the semi-charged laser extremely useful as the small amount of knockback will put the opponent into a techchase sort of situation, allowing you to get in at lower percents and give you kill setups at higher percents, particularly if they get popped onto a platform.

Yet another nice surprise, this move now has a cute as hell punch on the end of the attack, as well as the ability to move around while spinning about. The finisher isnt much of a killer, but it makes the move much more dynamic, and actually hits WAAAAY behind him as well, despite looking like it only hits at the front. The new movement options need more exploration at this point but the ability to control your movement will be great for mindgames, aswell and helping as a landing option. There's a lot of potential for a good move here, and we just need to find the uses for it.
[8-15% depending on where the opponent is in the move, and how long you mash for]

Pretty much the same move from brawl, coming over in most of its former glory. I say MOST of its former glory, as due to the new game mechanics, glide-tossing is no longer a thing and glide toss mobility with robs Gyro was one of the thing that made the Gyro so good, particularly as rob had multiple different length glide tosses.
Still, this is a very versatile move, and when fully charged, it can be used for extra damage combos, due to the insane speed that rob fires it once charging it up. Once again, most of the usage around Gyro involves what happens AFTER you're gotten it out, either at an item in hand, or as a stage hazard.

His recovery, distance wise it's very good, but he's a sitting duck thoughout it now, as they have removed the ability to boost and use an aerial at the same time, not to mention you don't get your fuel back untill you get your feet (boosters?) back on the ground. He holds a superman pose when boosting though, which looks cool and is yet another reason to love the robot. You can extend how long your fuel lasts by tapping B repeatedly, rather than holding it down.

Pretty basic throw, doesn't lead to much and doesn't kill. you only really wanna use this to throw the opponent offstage
[8%]

Slightly better version of the Fthrow, does a bit more damage and can kill at really high percents near the ledge, another one you dont want to use unless it's to get them offstage
[10%]

Your best throw for sure, it pops the opponent up for a free Uair to make for 20% and a potential followup at low percents, and a kill combo at higher percents. you'll be using this 90% of the time
[10%]

Nothing too special, but it's your most damaging throw and it can kill at very high percents. use this if you're just failing to land another killer
[12%, kills at ~170%]

I'll probably refine this later and we can use it for an early character guide. Leave me your thoughts and questions, folks.
Amazing primer. I agree with everything said. If you need any help with research of writing the full guide I'm happy to help :)

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Sorry if this is obvious but... What's the rule on how strong ROB's neutral B is?

Ansem

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this is obvious but... What's the rule on how strong ROB's neutral B is?
It's pretty darn good. Charges faster than brawl. Good to camp with and off stage while recovering. Many times not even fully charged if gives enough knockback to a recovering enemy to guarantee the kill. *cough *cough Little Mac

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Rating system:

Normals

[Always does 7%]

Dtilt > Grab
Dtilt > Ftilt
Dtilt (trip) > Dash-grab
Dtilt (trip) > Fsmash
[Always does 5%]

Smashes

Aerials

[8% at all times]

[Always does 7%]

Specials

[8%]

[10%]

[10%]

[12%, kills at ~170%]

Glad to see most of his moveset is :4rob::4rob::4rob: or above!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Is it just me, or does ROB have slightly less air time? Also, what is the difference between ROBs up-b alts; How do they work differently from each other?
Air time as in Up B? I don't think it's that necessarily, but the movement is severely nerfed horizontal wise. If you're watching my vids using a custom up B, then yes, that trades gas for a much faster movement, which I greatly prefer.

01010010 01001111 01000010 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 00101100 00100000 01010010 01001111 01000010 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101100 01101001 01100110 01100101 00101110 00101110 00101110 00100000 01010111 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100100 01101001 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01100101 00100000 01100110 01110010 01101111 01101101 00111111
Everywhere.

What are your thoughts on R.O.B.'s forward tilt? From what I've seen the range seems nerfed, but I don't know if it's just an illusion because of the change in the animation.
Super nerfed, and it's frustrating. I still use it sometimes for poking and pivoting it, but it's nothing compared to that of Brawl's ftilt.

I have a ask for you, i want to know... Robotic Operating Buddy will be a new invention or innovation for Wii U this year or in the future?
Not coming back, stayin' retro. He's now an official Smash Brawler, no longer a peripheral.

I wounder if it could re code a video game to give it self an advantage
Also I know this isn't directed towards Rob but is there a Mii hat of rob like the one in miiverse
Not that I have found yet, but I haven't unlocked everything yet since I don't have the US version of the game yet

@ CT Chia CT Chia

Can R.O.B.'s Robo Burner meteor cancel effectively after being meteor smashed / spiked, like it did in Brawl?
I'm actually not quite sure how meteor canceling works in this game yet, or if it's even in. If it is in, I'm sure it'll work. It doesn't feel the same though. Could be the controller though.

So is this just an Ask Chibo thread and not a general Q&A thread?
Ask away broski

You have a basic small laser which does some damage. Wait a bit and you get a strong one :) The strong one is much stronger, but also slower. After you use a laser, you have to wait a couple seconds before you can use it again. Effectively the same as Brawl.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Amazing primer. I agree with everything said. If you need any help with research of writing the full guide I'm happy to help :)
Thanks! it's all largely guess based at the moment, so i might need help with testing things in the future :p
Glad to see most of his moveset is :4rob::4rob::4rob: or above!
Yeah, he's got a pretty solid moveset all around. His Dair is still bad but beyond that everything has uses!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Thanks! it's all largely guess based at the moment, so i might need help with testing things in the future :p

Yeah, he's got a pretty solid moveset all around. His Dair is still bad but beyond that everything has uses!
Really? I found his dair to be exceptionally good in Brawl (then again, I'm usually forced to play against cpu opponents). And now that it has less start up and cool down I expect it to be better. However, we all play differently, so your experiences with it may vary compared to mine.

Ansem

Smash Cadet
The Dair I find to be useful for punishing whiffs, personally.
The thing with using dair to punish is that you have much better options out most other moves. The best use of it is spiking when they re grab ledge without invincibility. But we're all different :p

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The thing with using dair to punish is that you have much better options out most other moves. The best use of it is spiking when they re grab ledge without invincibility. But we're all different :p
"personally" i prefer the air

:seuss:

It's also a really great ledge killing tool for me, like most Dairs.

creepy lucario avatar

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
As someone who hasn't been around in Brawl's competition much, may ask what his main weaknesses were and is some of them still exist here? I just fought 2 good R.O.Bs recently and have difficulty facing him since I am mostly unfamiliar with him.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
So back in Brawl I ended up liking ROB enough to put him as one of my side-mains...Now, he just feels like a BEAST, and I'm happy to say that he's tied with Greninja for my main. He's gotten some really good buffs this time around, especially his >B. That arm rotor feels 100x better than brawl, and has won me several team matches. So happy for his glorious return in Sm4sh

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
@ Heartstring Heartstring Interesting. You rate ROBs spike as the worst move. However, I found that I KO with it fairly often. Nothing surprises a foe more than being thrown off a ledge by a well placed burner blast. It must be personal preference though, because I prefer to spike, as opposed to your juggling style.

Ansem

Smash Cadet
@ Heartstring Heartstring Interesting. You rate ROBs spike as the worst move. However, I found that I KO with it fairly often. Nothing surprises a foe more than being thrown off a ledge by a well placed burner blast. It must be personal preference though, because I prefer to spike, as opposed to your juggling style.
I think that's why I agree with him. I go for the juggle till like 140. Even then uair kills xD.

Last edited:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
The Dair I find to be useful for punishing whiffs, personally.
Oh, quite the contrary, @ Trekkerjoe Trekkerjoe ! I'm actually a huge fan of spiking over juggling, I mean I'm a huge Ike loyalist! It's just if the tool isnt any good...there's no point in sugar coating it, right?
Either way, I'd love to hear what you think might be worse than his Dair ^.^

The only use I can find for it at the moment is to get a free kill on an opponent who is trying to refresh their ledge invincibility, in the style of the previous smash games. but beyond that it's pretty bad, and even then, good players will refrain from doing it in the near future.
It's pretty awful for multiple reasons:

-while it does spike, it only does so at the central hitbox, which will be difficult to land on a smart opponent. you're far more likely to get the weak hitbox, which usually has almost vertical knockback and will aid their recovery more than harm it.

-As I said in the guide, it's extremely slow to both come out and to end. Combining this with the 'stall' aspect and Robs naturally slow air speed, and you have a move thats telegraphed as all hell, giving anyone ALL the time in the world to react to it accordingly.

-This dair fails to fill any specific useful roles (including ones that are usually reserved solely for Dairs) properly, as It gets bested by at least one of his other moves. For example, Dair's are typically used to cover yourself when getting back down to the ground, and this is probably the worst Dair at doing this with the exception of little mac. Even other stalling moves worked better than this (Lucario, Ivysaur) because they were fast enough to be used against an opponent chasing you, ROB's is too slow to do this properly.
LUCKILY, ROBs nair has a rather huge hitbox that does hit below him too, so that covers his glaring weakness a little bit.

Literally, the only plus points for this move is 'it can spike' which - in the long run - really isn't major if you can never land it on a decent opponent.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
ROB got beast this game. Played a ton of For Glory with him yesterday, won almost all of them. Really liking his play style and :GCB::GCR: buff.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
ROB is so much more fun in this game than he was in Brawl. He's almost surely my secondary at this point.

Ansem

Smash Cadet
So other ROB players who else have you guys taken a liking you? Personally I like Diddy and play him a similar way to rob. And cf because falcon :D

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
So other ROB players who else have you guys taken a liking you? Personally I like Diddy and play him a similar way to rob. And cf because falcon :D
My sig right now has my other likings thus far.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Rating system:

Normals

[Always does 7%]

Dtilt > Grab
Dtilt > Ftilt
Dtilt (trip) > Dash-grab
Dtilt (trip) > Fsmash
[Always does 5%]

Smashes

Aerials

[8% at all times]

[Always does 7%]

Specials

[8%]

[10%]

[10%]

[12%, kills at ~170%]

Superb analysis! R.O.B.'s so great in this game, it makes me proud to be a long-time fan of the big guy~ I would like to ask, though: how would you suggest using his side B and down B? They're both moves I use relatively frequently, yet I feel like I'm not using to their full potential. Any advice to that end?

Oh and your ratings system makes me giggle a lot. I like that, I like that.

Last edited:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Superb analysis! R.O.B.'s so great in this game, it makes me proud to be a long-time fan of the big guy~ I would like to ask, though: how would you suggest using his side B and down B? They're both moves I use relatively frequently, yet I feel like I'm not using to their full potential. Any advice to that end?

Why thanks! I was actually just copying how the Brawl Ike boards rated him ^,^

As for his moves, I'm not too sure on side-b yet. obviously, it reflects projectiles so it may be a solid option for getting in on someone looking to space you out with a projectile (robin is the first one that comes to mind in this scenario). or generally anyone who is commiting to an option. Using it on shield is generally a bad idea, but like MK's nado, you can sorta weave out of the way to save yourself a little. I need to research Side-B a bit more to be honest.

As for Down-B It's actually really hard to explain what to do, seeing as its all just second nature to me these days. Use it like a PM zelda uses dins fire, leave it on stage to force the opponent to do SOMETHING to get past it. grab it when you can, use it as an aide to get in or to keep an opponent out (you can throw backwards from a dash attack now, thanks to pivot cancelling)

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

For Side B, I use it for the following situations:

- Reflecting projectiles (especially against the likes of Mega Man, and using it on a Villager's F-Smash edgeguard is extremely satisfying), and approaching projectile heavy characters
- Punishing rolls, due to the duration of the move
- As an approach on For Glory, as most people aren't comfortable with the duration meaning they likely don't shield the entire move, and it is very difficult to punish on block there due to lag+mobility

For Down B there will likely be a host of far better guides available on the old Brawl forums, but in short I throw it out for four reasons:

1) Apply pressure - lasting hitboxes and a second projectile helps to force an approach and tack on percent, as well as helping to beat other projectile heavy characters in conjunction with the laser. In addition, throwing out a gyro to bait a reflect (which will do nothing to ROB at longer range) which you then punish with a laser is a favourite of mine.

2) As an approach - Gyro mostly forces shields due to the lasting hitbox, which I use to either gain more favourable positioning, or as an opening to attempt a grab which usually results in a decent amount of %

3) GTFO move - because it comes out very, very quick

4) Recovery - shooting out a gyro onto the edge of the ledge often seems to make getting back on stage a little easier.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Ask away broski
Mostly was asking for the sake of contributing. I feel like a general Q&A would be better. Not just an Ask Chibo. You're not the only vet who is going to try to lvl up the new ROB <3

Overall, I'm not sure how I feel about him. The lack of being able to b-rev gyro cancel is killing me lol.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm having a bit of trouble against characters that space really well with disjointed hitboxes as Wario so instead of picking up someone who'd rather go in I want someone who can just hit them far away.

How's ROB against the likes of Marth and such? I actually love his playstyle but never picked him up proper. Really considering learning him.

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
Holy crap, the operating buddy is somehow even more fun in this version. Maybe I really gotta learn this little robot.

So here's my question, Sempai. And Eric, if he's so inclined!

What are some good tips for someone learning ROB with no past experience playing him in Brawl. What are some techniques to learn? What are his best attacks, etc.

What can I do to up my game?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Holy crap, the operating buddy is somehow even more fun in this version. Maybe I really gotta learn this little robot.

What are some good tips for someone learning ROB with no past experience playing him in Brawl. What are some techniques to learn? What are his best attacks, etc.

Really would appreciate some tips as someone who is thinking of picking up the robot!
Is he particularly dominant at longer range? That's what I want to know.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I'm having a bit of trouble against characters that space really well with disjointed hitboxes as Wario so instead of picking up someone who'd rather go in I want someone who can just hit them far away.

How's ROB against the likes of Marth and such? I actually love his playstyle but never picked him up proper. Really considering learning him.
Rob was good against ranged characters in brawl, but this was largely due to his Ftilt having godlike range. It's since been nerfed in this game so the answer to your question is: I dont know

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Rob was good against ranged characters in brawl, but this was largely due to his Ftilt having godlike range. It's since been nerfed in this game so the answer to your question is: I dont know
That's a shame. Thanks anyway.

He's too fun though so I'll learn him regardless.

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789

Played ROB a lot in brawl and while I was never fantastic with him, I'll try to help out here. Some basic pointers:

-Remember your laser. Always, always remember the laser. Any time you're not in immediate danger, use it. The weak version only does like 4% but it stacks up, in addition to being annoying.

-Learn the timing on your aerials. Short hop fairs aren't as good in sm4sh as they were in brawl, but still powerful. As Chibo said, nair KB was greatly reduced but it's still an awesome tool that a lot of people don't expect, especially ff'ed when you're trying to get back on stage from above. Dair can be a great stall tactic, and while his bair is (imo) his most nerfed move, especially now that it doesn't have the forward hitbox, it can still catch people offguard... if you have the timing down.

-A lot of the cool little momentum cancels has been removed from the gyro, but it's still a useful tool for catching people off guard, ledge guarding, and just generally being campy.

-Don't be afraid to roflcopter at people anymore, it's significantly better than in brawl and while it's not a 100% reflector on everything, it's still really powerful.

-Spot dodge to dsmash is still really effective, even if it is a bit of a crutch. Dsmash comes out really quickly and doesn't have a lot of lag on it.

-I can't comment on ROBs throws (seem weaker, might be bigger blast zones), but uthrow still kills pretty much anyone at 150, and lighter characters below that.

-Tilt game seems to have been nerfed, much less range on ftilt and utilt horizontal range seems less. Dtilt is still amazing for tripping people and combos, though.

Overall, he's got a bit of a wonky style that takes some getting used to, but so long as you remember all the free damage you have at your disposal he doesn't have a huge learning curve.

Really would appreciate some tips as someone who is thinking of picking up the robot!
Is he particularly dominant at longer range? That's what I want to know.
Calling ROB "dominant" at long range isn't exactly how I would put it, given that most of the time you're gonna be dinking people for 4% and the gyro can be easily shielded. However, he can still cause trouble for a lot of fighters, especially those that have poor approaches because it's either run right into him or take more and more damage. He can definitely force the other player to approach him, if that's what you're asking.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207

(Alright, haven't done a write up in a while, and I'm at work. So what you're about to read is messy and I'm so so sorry. I need to get back in the groove of this. It's been a few years since I invested a lot of time thinking about smash and trying to help people with it. But I love doing it. Anyways, bear with me.)

I went into Smash 3DS trying to play ROB like Brawl ROB. It pains me that he doesn't completely translate from Brawl to 4. But there are habits that still carry over.

Camping/Laser/Top:

The general approach of ROB in Brawl was that he was a camper. Altho I do not enjoy camping, I can't deny the advantage that it brings to the table in both games; this one especially. I really think ROB is a better camper now than he was before. His gyro comes out instantly and at a good distance and while people are distracted by it, you can use lasers to tag on some extra damage and to potentially gain better stage control. Now with ROB's side b buff, actually making the move much more viable, you can use your side b as a follow up to gyro distraction as well. I would recommend not going the full duration of side b if you catch them with it since it might give them time to Smash DI, or find another way out before it deals it's knockback blow.

Place gyros on top of platforms to limit their options when they are underneath it.

Angle lasers to help shield poke. I generally aim for the feet.

When you knock someone off the stage, depending on my opponent and their recovery patterns, I generally aim for where they will jump. That way, if I hit them, their only option is to use a recovery move. From there, have fun being creative and gimping them. I used to use bair a lot for gimps in Brawl, but I'm really not digging it now. So far, I've been opting for fairs and gyro hits to keep them off the stage. But if I can square up a solid bair hit, I'll do it.

Not only aim for jumps off the stage, but people who are used to your camping will try to jump over it, so start aiming for where they might jump to mix it up.

Down throw to upair seems to be a pretty good low % string.

Dtilt still trips, so if you're in close, forcing a trip can lead to a grab, dashattack (which can lead to more followups), or a gyro attack follow up. Forcing trips really opens the door to a decent amount of options.

Recovering:

ROB's up b on startup gives you a little boost (mostly vertically). You can up b, cancel it with fair, up b again, to mix up your boosts. You can also keep lightly tapping up b to conserve fuel.

If knocked up high, turn your back towards the stage, and throw out some dairs to diagonally recovery slowly towards the stage. If you need to mix up your direction, you can put out a bair to switch up your momentum. And if you know what b-reversals are, you can b-reverse your gyro to mix up your momentum even more.

You can now throw your top while in your up b, perhaps another tool for you to recover if you have a gyro in your hand.

Not a lot of recovery mixups in this game. Be prepared to stage tech if someone comes off the stage. But try fighting them off with u-air, or stalling your recovery with dair until you are out of danger.

Kill options:

A pretty good amount of kill options now:
u-air, nair, bair, upthrow, laser off stage, gyro off stage, fair off stage, usmash (while they're grounded on in the air), and even dair with bounce them upwards if they are high enough %.

With upthrow, I havent tested this elsewhere yet, but you can uthrow from below the battlefield platform, and then have him slam them down on the platform above. You couldn't do this in Brawl.

Bair can be used to eat through airdodges since it takes forever and a day to come out lol. When they see you on the offensive while they are at high percents, chances are, they'll play scared. So by the time their airdodge would end, your bair will blast them out. Seems to have a good amount of knockback. More-so than nair if I'm not mistaken. But nair is still reliable. It just gets stale quick and is hard to kill with when it's stale. Which reminds me, refresh moves by grabbing them and pummeling them. Each attack will help refresh your moves and make them more powerful.

Fair:

Fair is beast. It strings together well. Can even trying fairing them, and tossing out a dair off the stage as they try to weave by you to safety. Kind of like a wannabe ken combo.

I like fairing them to where they land on the stage, land, dtilt, dashattack, upsmash or up air, etc. These kind of tactics can be very overwhelming for opponents. Smash 4 rob is good at this. I really wanted that in Brawl haha.

I'm at work, so that's all for now. I would love to play you and help you practice.
My FC is 1075 1236 8207

Either hit me up on here, or on fb (www.facebook.com/misterbeeperic) to set up a time to play. I'm more likely to respond on fb.

Last edited:
Top Bottom