• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
Alright!! You've definitely won me over. I'm gonna pick up ROB alongside Sheik and Junior! Seems like fun! I'd love your help, so I've sent an invite over Facebook. Thanks again!

This might be bad information I picked up somewbere, but is shorthop fair uaed on ROB? As an initiate?

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Any suggestions for the Toon Link matchup?

Faced 2 in a tourny today and I really don't know what to do. Spinning is effective for reflecting, but TL's projectiles come out insanely fast enough that I'm not sure how effective the move is with the lag at the end. Also very hard to get the staple Dthrow > Uair combo going given TL's Boomerang.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
That's cool. ROB is a beast in the right hands.

EDIT: I provided a much-needed update to the ROB Moveset Analysis and Speculation Thread. Tell me what you think about it's OP.

Last edited:

Green Spiny

Smash Cadet
As a Brawl ROB main , I have to say I am LOVING the new ROB. He just feels so much better. He has fewer KO'ing problems, more approach options, and still has one of the best projectile games around. Most importantly, I think,

1. He can actually fast fall now. Fast fall Nairs are deadly.
2. Side B is a good offensive tool.
3. UAir kills... and is set up by Dthrow even at ~100%?!? It's great.

I've seen the latter two mentioned a lot, but the increased fast fall speed alleviates one of his greatest weaknesses in Brawl.

I like his new hitboxes a lot, the only thing I miss is being able to hit enemies above me with angled Fsmashes (the horizontal range makes up for it though). The uncharged laser knocking enemies into the air is a lot of fun as well.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I'm having a bit of trouble against characters that space really well with disjointed hitboxes as Wario so instead of picking up someone who'd rather go in I want someone who can just hit them far away.

How's ROB against the likes of Marth and such? I actually love his playstyle but never picked him up proper. Really considering learning him.
Well, marth specifically, it's kind of a toss up. You always have the top, but he can always hit it away. He can't hit away your laser, but he can easily shield it. I do think ROB has the upper hand, considering his keep away game is much better than Marth's.

I just make sure I always have a top out, and grab it whenever I get the chance. At higher percents the top can be used to keep someone in hitstun until you mess up, kind of a crappier, projectile WoP.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
TL;DR: Lots of character analaysis and stuff.
Ran/played in a sm4sh tournament yesterday, I have to say, R.O.B feels less amazing than I initially thought.
-He has the same major weaknesses (immobility in the air) and its even harder to get down due to the lack of gyro cancelling, He's still got next to no tools for getting off the edge and due to the new ledge mechanics he cant stall at the edge with a cautionary laser/gyro without putting himself at risk either, which is another inherent problem.
-Also, Uair is far weaker than I gave it credit for initally, hitting mario off the top platform of battlefield, it doesnt kill untill 125% without vectoring and thats with all the hits, as the final hits knockback is actually marginally weaker if you don't connect with all the hits (i've tested this extensively and even altered the % as necessary)
-AND the dthrow>Uair isn't guaranteed at kill percent, they go juuust far enough in order to be able to air dodge out. obviously this sets up for a 50-50 mixup still, but i'd rather have the 100% guaranteed kill combo.
-Not to mention, his grab range is AWFUL for some reason, it's ganon levels of short. He's still decent, just not as great as I originally thought.

When it comes to stage choices, I say we want to go to battlefield as our main stage, as most of our kills will be coming from uair/usmash, which works best when you have a platform to fire **** through. Yoshis Island works too as (despite having a higher platform) our Usmash still hits through it.
We want to avoid any FD mode stages that have vertical walls below the ledge (E.G: warioware, boxing ring) as a lot of characters can drop things on us from the ledge, and we want to be able to recover to the ledge from below the stage.

Oh, and a couple of character specific things:
Dedede:
-Reflecting the gordo with side-b is WEIRD. sometimes it will reflect (and instant break dedede's shield or KO at like 70%...noice), but most of the time you'll hit it a few times with the armflail hits and then get hit by the gordo itself. It SEEMS as though the reflection only happens during the startup of our SideB (the little hop he does when you do a grounded version) so try to time it correctly.
-I'd suggest keeping gyro fully charged in neutral and firing it as a counter to him using the gordo, you can bounce it back at him with gyro before he can even act after doing the move.
-He's just as much of a victim in the air as we are now that his Dair isn't good for covering landing anymore, so get him up into the air as soon as you can.
Bowser Jr:
-We can reflect his down-b (THANK GOD) but only after it starts walking. He can side-b at you and kinda make life hard, due to its solid rushdown pressure. I'd suggest just avoiding dealing with it by rolling away of something similar. I really didnt get any good pointers on how to deal with this *******.
Jigglypufff:
Her fair/bair are godlike at edgeguarding, i'd suggest ALWAYS recovering low and using Uair to punish a jiggly trying to chase you down there, she just flat out beats our fair though.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey guys, not sure if anyone else noticed this but...

We got Lucina (40 matches to unlock) in the Robin trailer...but since the secret fighters section has been revealed we've gotten...

Ness (10 matches)
Falco (20 matches)
Wario (30 matches)
Dark Pit (50 matches)
Dr. Mario (60 matches)

Going by that... R.O.B. is 70 matches. R.O.B. could be our next unlockable character reveal. Just a little something I've noticed. And if this is the way they are revealing secret characters, we can expect the rest of the order to be...

R.O.B. (70 matches)
Ganondorf (80 matches)
Mr. G&W (90 matches)
Bowser Jr. (100 matches)
Duck Hunt (110 matches)
Jigglypuff (120 matches)

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Hey guys, not sure if anyone else noticed this but...

We got Lucina (40 matches to unlock) in the Robin trailer...but since the secret fighters section has been revealed we've gotten...

Ness (10 matches)
Falco (20 matches)
Wario (30 matches)
Dark Pit (50 matches)
Dr. Mario (60 matches)

Going by that... R.O.B. is 70 matches. R.O.B. could be our next unlockable character reveal. Just a little something I've noticed. And if this is the way they are revealing secret characters, we can expect the rest of the order to be...

R.O.B. (70 matches)
Ganondorf (80 matches)
Mr. G&W (90 matches)
Bowser Jr. (100 matches)
Duck Hunt (110 matches)
Jigglypuff (120 matches)
Can't wait to see HD rob. When do they show the secret character? Is there a schedule?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Can't wait to see HD rob. When do they show the secret character? Is there a schedule?
I don't think so. We got Ness, Falco, and Wario on the 3rd, then Dr. Mario and Dark Pit on Tuesday. Doesn't really look like any specific pattern. I do think that R.O.B. will be in our next batch of secret characters though., so keep your eyes open.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey guys, I know this thread is all about the new and mostly improved R.O.B., but I just thought I'd remind us all of what Brawl R.O.B. was like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qbM5ZYzFAQ

This is NOT my video. Now, if this is what R.O.B. could do in Brawl...imagine what he can do NOW...

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Holy ****, the editing.....
I know! If R.O.B. is as improved as we're all saying he is, and he just as good as this...I expect R.O.B. to be near top tier this time.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I know! If R.O.B. is as improved as we're all saying he is, and he just as good as this...I expect R.O.B. to be near top tier this time.
I suppose I'll be the one to tell you :p

That combo video is extremely old footage, back then when that was made, rob WAS top tier in brawl....and then the rest of the metagame caught up

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I suppose I'll be the one to tell you :p

That combo video is extremely old footage, back then when that was made, rob WAS top tier in brawl....and then the rest of the metagame caught up
Hopefully this time around, we'll stay at top tier. Meta Knight's (our worst match-up in Brawl) been nerfed, clearing the way for a R.O.B. invasion! Let's see how he fairs at tournaments and such.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I meant the video editing. That's some /r/montageparodies level of bad.

And also, he just bears up some Gannons and Links, and some other bottom tier characters.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully this time around, we'll stay at top tier. Meta Knight's (our worst match-up in Brawl) been nerfed, clearing the way for a R.O.B. invasion! Let's see how he fairs at tournaments and such.
I have no doubt that ROB will be a competitive character in the new game. Just watch some clash tournaments videos. The last tourney they had shows a ROB player placing 3rd. This is only the beginning.

Pluid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pluiid
3DS FC
1435-4675-5379
Is ROB a good DHD counter? In For Glory, I came across a DHD that I couldn't beat, but then I switched to ROB (who I've barely played with before) and I 2 stocked him. This made me think:
- Neutral B is transcendent, so it goes through all of DHD projectiles and hits him behind the wall
- Down B gives ROB and item to keep DHD at bay as well, helps space and get through wall
- Forward B can reflect and go through DHD's projectiles
- ROB can't really be gimped by DHD, but ROB can potentially gimp him easily.

Anyone have input on this?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Is ROB a good DHD counter? In For Glory, I came across a DHD that I couldn't beat, but then I switched to ROB (who I've barely played with before) and I 2 stocked him. This made me think:
- Neutral B is transcendent, so it goes through all of DHD projectiles and hits him behind the wall
- Down B gives ROB and item to keep DHD at bay as well, helps space and get through wall
- Forward B can reflect and go through DHD's projectiles
- ROB can't really be gimped by DHD, but ROB can potentially gimp him easily.

Anyone have input on this?
I'd say yes. I think our top>their can. We can easily throw out projectiles while DHD has to time them carefully.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I've got a question. What movements are punishable by ROB?

I main DK and Bowser and in Brawl it was an extremely tough matchup. Now though it is much more manageable but I still feel ROB has the edge. What movements are generally unsafe that a slower character might want to take advantage of?

The laser and Gyro get me as well. I hear holding on to the gyro as long as possible keeps it from being used too often. He can only have one out at once correct?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'd say yes. I think our top>their can. We can easily throw out projectiles while DHD has to time them carefully.
DHD has so many stupid, useless projectiles. Gyros and laser beams, that's where it's at! Where DHD has to hit the button multiple times to activate the projectile, we've got an automatic charge leading to a one-click beam, and a charge then throw at 90mph gyro. I think we've beaten DHD at this point. LONG LIVE R.O.B.!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Today is the day we have all waited for! R.O.B. in HD looks simply AMAZING. He looks much more like the actual toy than in Brawl, and his eyes do look a lot better than in his render art. (Officially) confirmed at last! This day is most memorable! R-O-B, R.O.B.! R-O-B, R.O.B.!

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Today is the day we have all waited for! R.O.B. in HD looks simply AMAZING. He looks much more like the actual toy than in Brawl, and his eyes do look a lot better than in his render art. (Officially) confirmed at last! This day is most memorable! R-O-B, R.O.B.! R-O-B, R.O.B.!
I totally agree. Now, this does remind me of an important question... Did they change ROB's cheer? Or is it the same. I have discovered that even on 100 man smash, it is very difficult to actually get the crowd to cheer for you.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I've heard that each character has multiple cheers, not sure.

But I've heard at least one cheer for R.O.B., I think they start by saying "ROB" but then definitely go on to say "R, O, B. R, O, B."

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
ROB looks fantastic in HD <3

Definitely looks more toy-like.

Top Bottom