• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It seems that R.O.B.'s default outfit in the Western countries is how he appeared here:
Aw man...that sucks. I much prefer his Famicom colors over the dull gray and white from NA.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Aw man...that sucks. I much prefer his Famicom colors over the dull gray and white from NA.

Hmm. Seems that none of the skins would be replaced(Perhaps switched around maybe...) If that really upsets you, GameXplain said in their latest FAQ that the game remembers your favorite character and skins. You wont have to swap to your favorite skin every time you enter a match.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Well Japan has the NA colours as an alt so there's no reason the rest of the world won't get Famicom colours for an alt - and as ROB is secret you don't even have him popping up in much if any ingame artwork in the colour you dislike.

And as Trekker said, the game remembers your colours. This is easily confirmed with the demo as mine always goes straight to Fire Mario.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Its just as I feared, the default is the dull gray.

Thankfully this game remembers which is the last palette swap I used. But I'm still a little salty that most of the time I verse a CPU R.O.B in classic, All-Star and when CPUs are random.

Grr

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
At least the grey isn't super crappy and dull anymore.

Last edited:

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Grey still seems a little lifeless, but certainly an improvement from before. Next time they should include some accents to break up the grey colors.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Hmm. Seems that none of the skins would be replaced(Perhaps switched around maybe...) If that really upsets you, GameXplain said in their latest FAQ that the game remembers your favorite character and skins. You wont have to swap to your favorite skin every time you enter a match.
That's good news. I wonder if he'll appear as red and white on the Japanese site and then gray and white on the NA site.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to change the subject but the wiki recently updated. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Unlockable_character#Super_Smash_Bros._for_Nintendo_3DS
Notice that the classic mode requirement has been dropped for many characters. This must imply that there could be ways to unlock characters outside classic mode, just look a Wario's unlock requirements. Now, since the unlock requirements for ROB have been changed to unknown, what is the most logical way you could unlock him outside of 70-matches/classic mode?

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The grey is the default in the UK version as well.

Been playing R.O.B. in For Glory and both he and Rosalina feel great. All his Smashes feel good, as do all of his specials (Though Up Special feels a lot worse to me in horizontal movement) and his tilts aren't bad (D-Tilt is awesome). As far as combos go, D-Throw to U-Air is a very nice one at low to mid percents, and there are also some good gyro combos at lower percents.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
I got the Prima eGuide (since it was a buck). ROB is unlocked by getting 200 different trophies.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
I got the Prima eGuide (since it was a buck). ROB is unlocked by getting 200 different trophies.
Yesss, come to me my precioussss. Erm. Oh, you're still here. ...... Anyway, You know the Yoshi embiggening glitch? Could someone use that to enlarge ROB so that we can see the text on his eyes while hes flinching? Also if his shield breaks, does his off switch flip off? Sounds like fun easter eggs, And I'm sure text appears in ROBs eyes when he gets hurt.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Played a load more For Glory now - and have some more thoughts/observations.

- One user I played against attempted to counter-pick Villager; this is my only experience against him so far. However in my very limited opinion this didn't feel too bad for R.O.B. - Robo Beam is quick enough to still be usable when Villager has committed to something, and Robo Beam + Gyro in quick succession will get at least some damage if Villager tries to pocket something. R.O.B.'s reflector makes the match easier (especially against F-Smash edgeguards, which otherwise are particularly annoying)
- Peach (or perhaps it was just the person using it) gave me a lot of trouble. I played 5 or 6 games against a peach user and lost every single one.
- :GCR::GCB: feels godly in For Glory; though I think this will become less so once people become more accustomed to the duration of it. Otherwise it is still good; the duration of it allows you to retreat making it a bit safer on block.
- The more I play the more I miss R.O.B.'s old recovery. The new Robo Burner's horizontal movement is absolutely horrible.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
Now, someone post the fastest way to get a bunch of trophies. Got the game, and now I'm really feeling that I have to unlock him.
Trophy Run's super slow. Getting trophies in general seems pretty slow. I've been playing for several hours and only have 40 or so.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Oh well. I'm going to have to unlock him through 70 matches... See you then!
It doesn't take too long - I took an hour and a half and I was playing proper matches instead of instant suicide every time.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Played a load more For Glory now - and have some more thoughts/observations.

- One user I played against attempted to counter-pick Villager; this is my only experience against him so far. However in my very limited opinion this didn't feel too bad for R.O.B. - Robo Beam is quick enough to still be usable when Villager has committed to something, and Robo Beam + Gyro in quick succession will get at least some damage if Villager tries to pocket something. R.O.B.'s reflector makes the match easier (especially against F-Smash edgeguards, which otherwise are particularly annoying)
- Peach (or perhaps it was just the person using it) gave me a lot of trouble. I played 5 or 6 games against a peach user and lost every single one.
- :GCR::GCB: feels godly in For Glory; though I think this will become less so once people become more accustomed to the duration of it. Otherwise it is still good; the duration of it allows you to retreat making it a bit safer on block.
- The more I play the more I miss R.O.B.'s old recovery. The new Robo Burner's horizontal movement is absolutely horrible.
They nerfed his recovery? Shooooot...ugh. I'm torn. On one hand, R.O.B. is my favorite character of all time, and I enjoy his appearance and slight changes in SSB4. On the other, I hate the fact they nerfed his recovery (though it's understandable) and that dull gray and white is his default in NA. I guess him returning makes up for it though, to an extent.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
They nerfed his recovery? Shooooot...ugh. I'm torn. On one hand, R.O.B. is my favorite character of all time, and I enjoy his appearance and slight changes in SSB4. On the other, I hate the fact they nerfed his recovery (though it's understandable) and that dull gray and white is his default in NA. I guess him returning makes up for it though, to an extent.
Here's my full opinion on his moveset (vanilla, I havent looked at customs) from a full day of playing him:

:GCB: - Feels pretty similar to Brawl; still a great move and in my opinion one of the better projectiles in the game due to its transcendent priority (really messes with Rosalina and Luma as Luma can't block it) and its speed making it less easy to reflect.

:GCB::GCR: - My favourite buff from Brawl. This covers ground well (not 100% sure if it is safe on block but I think it might be) deals decent damage, and launches. This means it is great against campers as you can reflect back at them whilst having a solid approach as well. This move went from my least favourite to one of my most - it is godlike on For Glory although at high level play I imagine less useful.

:GCB::GCD: - Feels the same to me, still a great move.

:GCB::GCU: - I now see why someone earlier was calling R.O.B.'s recovery bad - it can return from anywhere once, but it feels slowed down (especially horizontally) from Brawl which combined with R.O.B.'s large hurtbox means he is susceptible to gimping. This hasn't caused me a problem on For Glory yet but I imagine it will be exploited at tourneys, with the custom special that doesnt use fuel and shoots up faster being preferred (assuming customs are allowed, of course)

Dash Attack - Decent (especially with the upwards bit allowing some level of anti air) but easy to punish on block, so I prefer Gyros and Arm Rotor for approach.

STANDARDS

:GCA: - Same Jab as always. Decent move, though I don't find myself using it too much.

:GCA::GCR: - Less range than before, but still decent. I mostly use up tilted ones as antiairs for when smashes aren't fast enough.

:GCA::GCD: - my favourite tilt. Nice and quick, seems to sometimes combo into itself and doesn't seem too badly punishable. Good for messing up spotdodgers due to how quickly two can be used in succession.

:GCA::GCU: - I dont particularly like this tilt as it's difficult to land with seemingly no hitboxes on either side. If you do get it though it seems to combo into itself and into upair very well at low percentages, like Mario.

AERIALS

:GCA: - Nerfed from Brawl but still good, and feels the best choice against characters like Peach with strong aerial games.

:GCA::GCR: - seemingly bad priority, weak damage and knock back but fast and not too laggy. Good for gimps but dont try it as an approach.

:GCA::GCL: - I didn't use this much in Brawl so a head to head comparison is difficult. This has a fairly nice disjoint on it and is powerful, one of R.O.B.'s stronger KO options that works at around 100-130% for most characters. Because of the range on it I don't find it being punished too often if spaced correctly, despite it having a bit of lag.

:GCA::GCD: - Buffed from Brawl with less lag at the start and end. Very strong meteor that is quite easy to land compared to most.

:GCA::GCU: - Great move, comboed into from throws and up tilts. The fact it's now a KO move catches a lot of people off guard.

SMASHES

:GCCR: - I think this is overall a buff as it seems to have similar power/range to before, but much greater rangerange (beats all sword users I think). Might be deflectable which would suck but hardly render the move unusable.

:GCCD: - Very fast smash, and KOes much better this time round. Great move.

:GCCU: - Buffed; it used to have the same problem as Up tilt but has an added hitbox which covers sides etc better. R.O.B.s best kill move in my opinion, and reasonable speed so hard to vector/DI.

THROWS (You dont need the pummel)

:GCCL::GCCR: - basically the same so I put them together. Useful if you are e.g. trying to keep little Mac off stage but otherwise not particularly great throws.

:GCCD: - Good, like Brawl, with the added bonus of comboing into U-Air.

:GCCU: - Buffed from Brawl, and a good kill move (120-140% for most characters on FD, but better on platformed stages I think) though it has a lengthy animation (feels good on For Glory to end with it) which makes it easy to Vector/DI. It comboes into U-Air at low percents, though I prefer to save it as a kill move.

Well, there you have it. For a broad opinion, I feel R.O.B. is a solid character with good projectile games, a decent neutral game, and good kill moves. Unfortunately he also has an easily gimpable standard recovery. Should custom moves become a thing (I really hope they do; and think petitioning for them in For Glory should happen as well) then he will be better - the fast recovering laser seems better than standard to me as I mostly use it for gimping, forcing approach and tacking on percent and the rocket recovery seems to solve some of the issues I have with ROB's recovery.

Not going to guess tiers because as said I have only really played with R.O.B. and not competitively (with that last note, if some of what I have said regarding combos is wrong forgive me).

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Here's my full opinion on his moveset (vanilla, I havent looked at customs) from a full day of playing him:

:GCB: - Feels pretty similar to Brawl; still a great move and in my opinion one of the better projectiles in the game due to its transcendent priority (really messes with Rosalina and Luma as Luma can't block it) and its speed making it less easy to reflect.

:GCB::GCR: - My favourite buff from Brawl. This covers ground well (not 100% sure if it is safe on block but I think it might be) deals decent damage, and launches. This means it is great against campers as you can reflect back at them whilst having a solid approach as well. This move went from my least favourite to one of my most - it is godlike on For Glory although at high level play I imagine less useful.

:GCB::GCD: - Feels the same to me, still a great move.

:GCB::GCU: - I now see why someone earlier was calling R.O.B.'s recovery bad - it can return from anywhere once, but it feels slowed down (especially horizontally) from Brawl which combined with R.O.B.'s large hurtbox means he is susceptible to gimping. This hasn't caused me a problem on For Glory yet but I imagine it will be exploited at tourneys, with the custom special that doesnt use fuel and shoots up faster being preferred (assuming customs are allowed, of course)

Dash Attack - Decent (especially with the upwards bit allowing some level of anti air) but easy to punish on block, so I prefer Gyros and Arm Rotor for approach.

STANDARDS

:GCA: - Same Jab as always. Decent move, though I don't find myself using it too much.

:GCA::GCR: - Less range than before, but still decent. I mostly use up tilted ones as antiairs for when smashes aren't fast enough.

:GCA::GCD: - my favourite tilt. Nice and quick, seems to sometimes combo into itself and doesn't seem too badly punishable. Good for messing up spotdodgers due to how quickly two can be used in succession.

:GCA::GCU: - I dont particularly like this tilt as it's difficult to land with seemingly no hitboxes on either side. If you do get it though it seems to combo into itself and into upair very well at low percentages, like Mario.

AERIALS

:GCA: - Nerfed from Brawl but still good, and feels the best choice against characters like Peach with strong aerial games.

:GCA::GCR: - seemingly bad priority, weak damage and knock back but fast and not too laggy. Good for gimps but dont try it as an approach.

:GCA::GCD: - Buffed from Brawl with less lag at the start and end. Very strong meteor that is quite easy to land compared to most.

:GCA::GCU: - Great move, comboed into from throws and up tilts. The fact it's now a KO move catches a lot of people off guard.

SMASHES

:GCCR: - I think this is overall a buff as it seems to have similar power/range to before, but much greater rangerange (beats all sword users I think). Might be deflectable which would suck but hardly render the move unusable.

:GCCD: - Very fast smash, and KOes much better this time round. Great move.

:GCCU: - Buffed; it used to have the same problem as Up tilt but has an added hitbox which covers sides etc better. R.O.B.s best kill move in my opinion, and reasonable speed so hard to vector/DI.

THROWS (You dont need the pummel)

:GCCL::GCCR: - basically the same so I put them together. Useful if you are e.g. trying to keep little Mac off stage but otherwise not particularly great throws.

:GCCD: - Good, like Brawl, with the added bonus of comboing into U-Air.

:GCCU: - Buffed from Brawl, and a good kill move (120-140% for most characters on FD, but better on platformed stages I think) though it has a lengthy animation (feels good on For Glory to end with it) which makes it easy to Vector/DI. It comboes into U-Air at low percents, though I prefer to save it as a kill move.

Well, there you have it. For a broad opinion, I feel R.O.B. is a solid character with good projectile games, a decent neutral game, and good kill moves. Unfortunately he also has an easily gimpable standard recovery. Should custom moves become a thing (I really hope they do; and think petitioning for them in For Glory should happen as well) then he will be better - the fast recovering laser seems better than standard to me as I mostly use it for gimping, forcing approach and tacking on percent and the rocket recovery seems to solve some of the issues I have with ROB's recovery.

Not going to guess tiers because as said I have only really played with R.O.B. and not competitively (with that last note, if some of what I have said regarding combos is wrong forgive me).
What about his back-air? You never mentioned it.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
What about his back-air? You never mentioned it.
Forgot about that, will edit it in. Also here, so it is contained in this reply:

:GCA::GCL: - I didn't use this much in Brawl so a head to head comparison is difficult. This has a fairly nice disjoint on it and is powerful, one of R.O.B.'s stronger KO options that works at around 100-130% for most characters. Because of the range on it I don't find it being punished too often if spaced correctly, despite it having a bit of lag.

(As an aside, I have given percentages for moves killing but these are very approximate percentages without any consideration of vectoring I've noticed during For Glory, nothing more)

Ansem

Smash Cadet
Wondering how other rob players are using his aerials, for me i mostly dthrow/uthrow to uair and dashhattack to fair. I play him mostly on the ground since i dont get much out of rar nairs.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Wondering how other rob players are using his aerials, for me i mostly dthrow/uthrow to uair and dashhattack to fair. I play him mostly on the ground since i dont get much out of rar nairs.
I don't use Nair as often as I should. Fair is used semi-occasionally, mostly off-stage to gimp. I quite often use Bair when recovering to move me slightly, and as a kill move. Dair I use as a spike off-stage and occasionally throw in whilst trying to stop juggling. D-Throw to Uair is bread and butter for me and good to throw in normally as well. Mostly I try to force the opponent to approach; if I have to approach I go with a combination of Gyro's, D-Tilts, Grabs and F-Special. I should throw short hopped Nairs in as well and generally get my ROB stronger in the air.

Unfortunately won't be playing the game regularly for another couple of months as I've returned to university and left the game at home (for my degree's sake!).

Ansem

Smash Cadet
Since posting i have had a lot of mileage with ledge steal to bair. Either it works wonders or my opponents in for glory suck, maybe alittle of both

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I've got the game and I love it.

Check out my new Avatar, My 4 favourite characters are all together. I was lucky to get this pic since Rosalina, R.O.B. and Mr Game & Watch are all lv1 cpus.

I overall am very pleased with how R.O.B. feels in this game. My first Smash Run was also with him.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Since posting i have had a lot of mileage with ledge steal to bair. Either it works wonders or my opponents in for glory suck, maybe alittle of both
There's been a lot of this going around the Smash community. I think that this combo works nicely with the new ledge-grab mechanics. I've seen a YouTuber post of video of him doing this same thing with Mega Man while he was taking on Pit (I think).

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
So I just discovered rob after playing him randomly. He feels really good this time around, laser is faster and all of his smashes are pretty good (specially down)

Ansem

Smash Cadet
So I just discovered rob after playing him randomly. He feels really good this time around, laser is faster and all of his smashes are pretty good (specially down)
Yeah tilting fsmash is great. Upsmash for punishing air dodges and dsmash for people rolling into you.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Arm Rotor is actually a great move in this game.

Excuse me while I cry until the happiness can no longer be cried.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
So is this just an Ask Chibo thread and not a general Q&A thread?

Last edited:
Top Bottom