• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Enjoying the look of ROB a lot in this. I wholly expected to not care about him after using him for years in brawl and being underwhelmed with that I saw of him (initially) in this game. I'm ready to main this beast!
He really is a dark horse. He doesn't look particularly strong or potent when you just glance at him, but my word, is there potential there!

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I see. Still, who knows what one might find just through experimentation. I've seen some weird stuff...
I think once we get at least 1 character specific AT we should make the thread, or 3 general useful ats.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I don't believe that's what it was - I think he was just shooting it. It comes out VERY fast in Smash 4 compared to Brawl.
Woah. ROB's Gyro rapidly pressed to shoot is so quick! I can't wait to see ROB's frame data for Gyro. I even slow-mo'd that clip just to see it precisely, & I can agree that ROB's arms were around the Gyro ready to fire right before Bowser grabbed.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Maybe we should make our own adv. techniques thread.
To be honest with the general lack of people playing him on stream (Mega Man has a massive advantage due to being in the demo) it's likely quite a bit early for such a thread.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
That glide tossing stuff Mega Mans found is a sham. It's not technically GT'ing, and doesn't help us ROBs. Not like Brawl at least. It is an AT, but I don't particularly care.

...Your friend's what 3DS?

Wait is *** really censored?

Edit: lmao holy **** it is

Also I thought you ***** said yall were gonna move to the Villager social I'm gettin lonely over there

Last edited:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Apparently J.A.P is a racial slur against japanese people from WWII times, so thats why it's censored.

Also, we agreed to go to the villager social IF Rob didnt come back, but somehow he did...soooo here we are

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
...Your friend's what 3DS?

Wait is *** really censored?

Edit: lmao holy **** it is

Also I thought you ***** said yall were gonna move to the Villager social I'm gettin lonely over there
Yeah, it's censored. I have to admit though, your post was funny. :p

What's this about going to the Villager social?

Apparently J.A.P is a racial slur against japanese people from WWII times, so thats why it's censored.
Ohhhh thats true. I had totally forgotten about that

Yeah, it's censored. I have to admit though, your post was funny. :p

What's this about going to the Villager social?
In 2013 when the known roster was about half of what it is now everybody in the ROB social was sayin theyd move to the Villager social if ROB didn't come back

But now I mainly hang around the Villager boards and since ROB DID end up coming back its like damn talk about bittersweet

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
From the footage I have seen he looks very solid indeed:

- Recovery is as good as ever (and now has a Superman pose!)
- Projectile game is still great
- Side B has been buffed and has gone from awful to awesome
- F-Smash has changed (heard it's a buff but someone with the game should confirm)
- U-Smash is buffed with better range to the sides
- D-Smash seems very similar; I've heard more kill power somewhere
- N-Air is weaker but still seems decent
- U-Air is a kill move now!
- F-Air has nerfed knock back but still looks good for combos and gimps
- B-Air seems largely the same
- D-Air is noticeably faster
- Throws don't seem massively changed; U-Throw still kills and D-Throw comboes into U-Air quite well from one video I saw.
- Spot Dodge and Rolls seem the same.
- Haven't noticed any difference in tilts

At least from my perspective it seems as if R.O.B. has been buffed a decent amount - although I have read others saying the opposite. It would be great to hear the perspective of any R.O.B. players who have the game on this.
I'm feeling like R.O.B. actually got hurt considerably by mechanics changes in this game.

R.O.B.'s recovery is actually one of the worst recoveries in this game when you consider how limited R.O.B.'s landing and edge options are. Keep in mind R.O.B.'s up-B also doesn't directly have the benefit of a high priority hitbox to cover it. R.O.B. is one of few characters who strictly does not benefit from the anti-edgehog mechanics, meaning his low recovery is as punishable as ever, and other characters risk much less when edgeguarding R.O.B..

Once you're offstage as R.O.B., it's harder than ever to get back onstage without taking damage because you're really floaty, and don't have good landing options.

While U-smash buff does help grounded KO options somewhat, R.O.B. also lost considerable range on his F-tilt, which just generally means he's not as good in footsies anymore. You used to clearly outrange other sword characters with this move, but that isn't the case in this game.

At the moment, I'm not feeling like R.O.B. is that good. He can't kill as early as other zoning characters. While he DOES have a reflector, it's still not a particularly safe one. R.O.B. also is much easier to edgeguard and land trap in this game.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'm feeling like R.O.B. actually got hurt considerably by mechanics changes in this game.

R.O.B.'s recovery is actually one of the worst recoveries in this game when you consider how limited R.O.B.'s landing and edge options are. Keep in mind R.O.B.'s up-B also doesn't directly have the benefit of a high priority hitbox to cover it. R.O.B. is one of few characters who strictly does not benefit from the anti-edgehog mechanics, meaning his low recovery is as punishable as ever, and other characters risk much less when edgeguarding R.O.B..

Once you're offstage as R.O.B., it's harder than ever to get back onstage without taking damage because you're really floaty, and don't have good landing options.

While U-smash buff does help grounded KO options somewhat, R.O.B. also lost considerable range on his F-tilt, which just generally means he's not as good in footsies anymore. You used to clearly outrange other sword characters with this move, but that isn't the case in this game.

At the moment, I'm not feeling like R.O.B. is that good. He can't kill as early as other zoning characters. While he DOES have a reflector, it's still not a particularly safe one. R.O.B. also is much easier to edgeguard and land trap in this game.
This is all interesting to hear. Regarding his recovery, do you feel either of the custom options help much? It is hurt by a lack of hitbox but ROB can act out of it and has a lot of shenanigan some options - a personal favourite of mine from Brawl was going underneath the stage to recover on the other side although some Omegas will prevent this. Doesn't he have better fast fall to alleviate floatiness problems?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I haven't actually seen any of R.O.B.'s custom moves besides flame gyro, so I wouldn't know.

And even if he did fastfall better, the primary problem I see is you really rely on people not beating/powershielding your N-air in order to land safely. I mean, it's not that much different from Brawl. Just I feel like when combined with being weaker on the edge and easier to edgeguard, it's a very serious problem. If B-reverse Gyro canceling is still a thing, a top level R.O.B. like Ocean would be able to prove him viable, but still, this game looks very unforgiving to R.O.B.

His moves are mostly all reasonable in terms of hitboxes and startup, so his neutral game isn't bad. I just feel he doesn't have as many opportunities for big reward like other characters, and he's easily punished offstage. Unless I missed something, the fact you can't edgehog in this game makes it much harder for R.O.B. to edgeguard in this game. He doesn't easily reach low recoveries without Gyro drop due to his blindspots (D-air is still slow and very timing dependent), and setting up a Gyro drop on demand is not simple.

On the flipside, U-smash out of shield is probably a really strong edgetrap, so that's pretty good.

Last edited:

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Oh yeah I forgot they have the word cencered on here.... But yes I meant Japanese 3ds :p.

I'm assuming you still cant air dodge out of robs up B? I forgot to test that =w=...

I found it really annoying with other smashers who don't main rob and rant on about how great his recovery is. And I'm just like starring at them with a pissed off look. Lol. Yeah it sucks =l

Heartstring

Smash Legend
The problem with Robs in terms of recovery wasnt really anything to do with 'offstage to ledge', and more 'ledge to onstage'. And with the mechanics changes of the ledge, it only really highlights it, I'm hoping we'll be able to find some new tools to deal with that, But the fact we can't boost while doing an aerial anymore will be problematic too.

The Ftilt nerf is a pain too, can't lie

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
I doubt anyone even found it at all but..

Did anybody figure outnhow to unlock R.O.B outside VS mode?
Link: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Unlockable_character#Super_Smash_Bros._for_Nintendo_3DS

Source says it's inaccurate, so this may or may not work.

Also while I am here :
While R.O.B.'s moveset remains somewhat unchanged, many of his moves are both faster and stronger, overall buffing R.O.B., but not without some nerfs.
  • Up tilt has more vertical range.
  • Up throw deals more damage and has more KO power.
  • R.O.B.'s forward smash has increased range and power.
  • His up smash can now hit grounded characters more easily, and deals much more damage and is now exceptionally strong.
  • Down smash deals more damage and KO power.
  • Arm Rotor has a stronger finisher at the last hit.
  • Back air deals more damage and is stronger.
  • Dash attack deals more damage.
  • R.O.B. has stronger out of shield options.
  • Down throw does more damage and allows for better follow ups.
  • Forward tilt does more damage.
    • It has slightly less reach.
  • Up air is now a KO move.
    • It deals much less damage.
  • Gyro has more priority.
    • Gyros are slightly weaker in damage when thrown.
  • Neutral air is much faster.
    • It deals less damage.
  • His forward air is faster, and swings from overhead.
    • Forward air does less damage.
  • Down air is faster in terms of both startup and ending lag.
    • Deals less damage.
  • R.O.B. appears to be larger, increasing range.
    • This makes his hurtbox bigger.
  • Forward throw does less damage.
  • Back throw does less damage.
  • R.O.B.'s Final Smash is now a large, directional laser, with high KO'ing power.
  • R.O.B. raises his arms while using Robo Burner.
  • R.O.B. now has an animation for failing to pull out a Gyro, if a Gyro is already present on the stage.
  • Robo Beam's fully charged laser is now much taller at the front, but appears to travel a shorter distance.
Source: http://www.ssbwiki.com/R.O.B._(SSB4)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
rob is broken don't tell anyone
Seeing as you'be been playing him for a bit now oracle, I don't suppose we can get a quick rundown on all his stuff, strengh, weakness, etc? Would be useful to have a quick guide from a player who knows what hes doing lol.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
rob is broken don't tell anyone
Glorious. Glorious.

Seeing as you'be been playing him for a bit now oracle, I don't suppose we can get a quick rundown on all his stuff, strengh, weakness, etc? Would be useful to have a quick guide from a player who knows what hes doing lol.
I second this motion. Be good to know how my mechanical mate has improved since Brawl.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm excited to use ROB once more. With Snake gone, he'll take his role of campy character.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
01010010 01001111 01000010 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 00101100 00100000 01010010 01001111 01000010 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101100 01101001 01100110 01100101 00101110 00101110 00101110 00100000 01010111 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100100 01101001 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01100101 00100000 01100110 01110010 01101111 01101101 00111111

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
What are your thoughts on R.O.B.'s forward tilt? From what I've seen the range seems nerfed, but I don't know if it's just an illusion because of the change in the animation.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ugh, it's been a while since I've visited this thread, and I haven't read what I've missed, so I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet already. Does anyone know the official name of his new Final Smash?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
According to this http://smashbros-miiverse.com/items/trophies

R.O.B. has 4 trophies, and I don't like what it suggests.

It seems to suggest that NES R.O.B. will be R.O.B.s Default overseas. Can anyone compare the two R.O.B. renders to the one in the leak?

Please don't let this be the case.
Double post, sorry. I've read over what I've missed, and my first question still remains. However, from what I've seen from this, they got rid of the Final Smash trophies? That flipping sucks.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Ugh, it's been a while since I've visited this thread, and I haven't read what I've missed, so I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet already. Does anyone know the official name of his new Final Smash?
Motion to call his new Final Smash the 'Fork in the Node' or 'Fork in the Code' (I can't figure out which is the better pun) after the shape the laser makes:4rob:

Last edited:

Skymin50

Smash Cadet
So how can you play R.O.B in Smash 4? I REALLY want to pick the character up but I hate campy characters, just spamming out projectiles and dancing away off stage is kind of boring.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Motion to call his new Final Smash the 'Fork in the Node' or 'Fork in the Code' (I can't figure out which is the better pun) after the shape the laser makes:4rob:
Heh heh. I've seen a YouTube video that simply called it "Beam", but then someone commented saying it's being called "Mega Beam". I don't know if this stuff is confirmed, I'm just trying to find out the info. because those names honestly just are too bland.

Top Bottom