• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

Mith_

Smash Champion
I played today for the first time in weeks.
I forgot how awesome this game is.
Too bad my brother traded it in.
I told him not to buy it in the first place.
Oh well.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Does anyone have any advice on fighting Fei Long. Whenever I fight him in arcade or VS mode, I never have a chance to hit him. He keeps hitting me until I'm in a corner and unless I'm El Fuerte, that's hard to get out of.
Getting over anyone in the corner is tough, and especially Fei since he's so fast. I'd suggest playing it cool and just blocking the comboes and inevitable sweeps (remember, don't crouch block a jumping attack). But don't just stand there. There are several moves Fei does that leave him open, if only for a second. Take those opportunities and go for broke. In the corner, you often have to risk getting hit in order to get out. As soon as he starts falling (do an attack that knocks down), start jumping over. If you're not fast enough, he'll get up before you fall and probably strike back, but the same thing would probably happen if you stayed in that corner.

He's fast, but he leaves himself open all the time. The best thing to do against Fei is to be methodical and find your openings.

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
all i use is C.Viper, Blanka, and Ken. C.Viper is my best, but if i want to just relax and not worry about heavy execution, i just sit back and use blanka and use mad head games, so fun.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I use Sagat and hit roundhouse all day. I have over 8000 bp. Life is good.

A N D R E

Smash Cadet
one low short into EX Legs
two low shorts into EX Legs
three low shorts into EX Legs
and combo that into ultra!

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
I tried it out for the first time today (SF in general really) and I just can't play it. It seems so much slower than the other two fighters I play, even if I do play them badly.

But hot dang is Fei fun to play with. He was easier for me to use than Sagat >_O

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
What he said. My Zangief vs Sagat roundhouse spammers will win every time. Every time my friend. Especially online, I think the lag gives gief a bit of an advantage in most situations.
Gief doesn't beat Sagat. Sagat players get sloppy or Gief players get a lucky knockdown and start the body splash to lariat or SPD 50/50 guessing game.

But as a character, Gief is screwed in that match-up.

Omis

my friends were skinny
XBL.
Is anyone willing to help teach me the basics? I think I do terrible because I dont really completely get all the basics of FADC and normal cancels and whatnot.

noradseven

Smash Lord
XBL.
Is anyone willing to help teach me the basics? I think I do terrible because I dont really completely get all the basics of FADC and normal cancels and whatnot.
like a list of stuff.

Okay here is a list of general knowledge. I think this is right, I'm not sure though.

note: hit can mean block too.

*All normals can cancel into any special on hit.
*All specials can cancel into super on hit read NOT ULTRA(it may work in a few cases but I haven't seen it work). This also assumes you are in the proper postion to super cancel, aka an air special cannot cancel into a ground super, or visa versa. however you can cancel parts of the Shoryuken into super.
*Normals cannot cancel into themselves however they can link into themselves. IE attacking as soon as your are in neutral animation again.
*During the charge of a FA, or after a connected FA blocked or hit, you may dash out of the animation, thus lowering over all recovery time.
*Some normals/specials may be super jumped on miss and/or hit.
*you can cancel the starting animation of super jumps into attacks.
*Some normals/specials may be dashed out of on miss and/or hit.
*dashing out of moves can allow you to continue combos see Abel.
*Some characters see Vega/C.Viper, can cancel normals into special cancels, back into normals to do other wise impossible combos, such as Vipers, standing FP, 214FP, All P (cancel), 2FP
*You cannot grab someone in block stun, lots of scrubs don't know this.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Gief doesn't beat Sagat. Sagat players get sloppy or Gief players get a lucky knockdown and start the body splash to lariat or SPD 50/50 guessing game.

But as a character, Gief is screwed in that match-up.
Agreed, only way Gief wins is two things...#1 The Sagat player is playing far too aggressively instead of patiently zoning and dominating Gief like that, or #2 Gief does get in and as you said, gets a knockdown or gets close.

Even then, Sagat can turn the tide on a whim with Ex-Tiger Uppercut, if your Gief and you play a Sagat whom is simply zoning with Low Tiger, and long pokes. Gief simply walks into a wall, because unlike other characters like Ryu, punishing Sagat's low Tigers are alot more difficult, due to the fact that Sagat's tiger shots are just simply faster, and more importantly the recovery of them, makes him far safer. You throw in Ex-Tiger shots too, and it makes it incredibly difficult, and again, even if Gief gets in, he still has to be weary because Sagat has the options and tools to knock Gief to the ground, and push him back at square one again.

Any character that can keep Zangief out of SPD effectively will always give him trouble, in fact, even if you go as far back as SFII, Sagat has always been one of those characters whom Gief had alot of trouble with.

In comparison, the match up isn't as bad as the old SFII days, due to the fact that Low Tigers do not travel at 10,000 mph, the damage off of Tiger Shots are nowhere near the high damage they once were. Stages were larger in SFII helping out projectile characters, and Gief has more tools in IV to get around projectiles in comparison, so the match up is easier, but it is still undeniable that Sagat holds the edge.

However, although Sagat has the advantage, if Zangief faced someone like Ryu, the match up is alot better (5-5), and well really depend upon who plays better, unlike the Sagat match up, to where if the Sagat player just plays defensive instead of the annoying "rushdown" mentality, Gief's in trouble.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So I played SF IV for the first time in a long time on Saturday at an SF IV party. I'm sucking with a stick again. It feels terrible not being able to pull of combos with Viper.:(

All is good though, I'll buy a stick eventually and redeem myself.

And Dreadz, I'm starting to lean towards Vega now.
He's not my main, but he's a pretty awesome and fun character to use.
I haven't pulled off any crazy stunts like you do with your FADCing and linking Vega's super yet.

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
So I played SF IV for the first time in a long time on Saturday at an SF IV party. I'm sucking with a stick again. It feels terrible not being able to pull of combos with Viper.:(

All is good though, I'll buy a stick eventually and redeem myself.

And Dreadz, I'm starting to lean towards Vega now.
He's not my main, but he's a pretty awesome and fun character to use.
I haven't pulled off any crazy stunts like you do with your FADCing and linking Vega's super yet.
hmm..

heres the thing..

viper is real technical and should take alot of ur focus..

picking up another char. isnt the wise choice to make right now..

especially since u gotta work alot to win with vega aswell

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
Yeah I think Viper and Vega take alot of technical ability to use really well but...well when you're Viper you get good mindgames and cross-up potential. When you're Vega you just get to show how beautiful you are.

A friend of mine uses Viper (though we aren't that great honestly) since he doesn't understand how to fight vega and loses pretty much all the time. But we haven't played for a while so I dunno if he even plays the game anymore.

But I always had a weird thought with Vega...doing ST into an EX ST and before they hit the ground pull of the ultra...but I know that it can't be done.

noradseven

Smash Lord
hmm..

heres the thing..

viper is real technical and should take alot of ur focus..

picking up another char. isnt the wise choice to make right now..

especially since u gotta work alot to win with vega aswell
Yeah Viper is a pain she is my main right now, getting down all her stupid cancels outside of training mode is annoying. Doesn't stop her BnB from being absurd.

I just mess with easy characters like Gouken, Abel, and Gen(okay not that easy) for the rest of the time.

Also I hope the other guy knows Vega is pretty bad, my friend who used to use him as #2 in every street fighter has alot of problems with him.

But while street fighter is technical, the combos are short and things you have to learn are small, but difficult so its fine to pick up a few characters.

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
I've told him that Viper is a better character than Vega but everytime that I land the Super or Ultra he just mutters that he's too good.

But besides him there's two other guys that juggle Abel, Akuma, and El-Fuerte.

Vega vs. El-Fuerte is perhaps one of the most amusing matches where its all aerials and one match ended with me landing the ultra (I think he tried to do the splash) and I charged and started up the super when he did a wake-up Ultra and right when he land I grabbed him with the super izuna drop for the win...it was kinda cool.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Oh, Vega's just my for fun character. I never used him online or in tourneys, only in friendlies. So I'm not going to pursue him as even a secondary.

I think for Viper, I just need to start from scratch and relearn everything with her. I'm noticing that I can't play too defensively with her either.
Viper's still my fave, don't worry guys.

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
Oh, Vega's just my for fun character. I never used him online or in tourneys, only in friendlies. So I'm not going to pursue him as even a secondary.

I think for Viper, I just need to start from scratch and relearn everything with her. I'm noticing that I can't play too defensively with her either.
Viper's still my fave, don't worry guys.
just keep playing against me and you'll get back into shape with viper in no time.

my vega is gettin pretty ridiculous

Minato

穏やかじゃない
just keep playing against me and you'll get back into shape with viper in no time.

my vega is gettin pretty ridiculous
I might be able to borrow a stick soon. So I'll have to wait until then.
And I can't wait to see your Vega. It's too sexy now.

Oh, and I got a PS3 (60 GB). All I need is Street Fighter IV and a stick for it. I might be able to borrow a stick for the PS3. I'll post my username in due time guys.
And I want to face Emblem Lord to get some Sagat practice. :)

Time to get back in shape.

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
I might be able to borrow a stick soon. So I'll have to wait until then.
And I can't wait to see your Vega. It's too sexy now.

Oh, and I got a PS3 (60 GB). All I need is Street Fighter IV and a stick for it. I might be able to borrow a stick for the PS3. I'll post my username in due time guys.
And I want to face Emblem Lord to get some Sagat practice. :)

Time to get back in shape.
y both xbox and ps3?

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
i heard most tourneys that matter on SRK will be Ps3 only thats why some peeps suggested that i get a ps3/pc stick and just a ps2 converter thingy..

Minato

穏やかじゃない
y both xbox and ps3?
I wanted a (60 GB) PS3 for many reasons.
I wanted it because of some exclusives, I have some friends with a PS3, and I needed a console for my PS1 games.

My PS2 works fine except that it really hates PS1 games. The games would freeze on it, or my console will destroy the disc by adding multiple rings underneath it.

Now all I need is a joystick.

EDIT: Oh, and I got my PS3 for cheap. The price was way too affordable on the deal they gave me.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I got a sixty gig PS3 for 200 bucks. Had one for a while, but still. Get at me, Minato.

Once I move in to my apartment this weekend, I'll have interwebz. We gotta play, bro.

Smooth Criminal

Top Bottom