• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Don't worry, it's not.

Unlike Brawl, SF made the game easy enough to welcome casual players and deep enough for hardcore players with its gameplay.

Anyways, I can't wait until February. I even pre-ordered the TE fight stick for the 360. Can't wait to play everyone online.
Same here, pre-ordered the 360 stick as well as the CE of the game. I'll have to get your guys XBL id's and get some matches in when it hits stores

smashbot226

Smash Master
On another note, Gouken's Super in this game, if anyone see's, it looks like a multi-hitting Shoryuken, however storyline wise, that is the Metsu-Shoryuken, which is the same Shoryuken that Ryu utilized to scar and defeat Sagat within the very first Street Fighter 1 tournament...just thought people who where interested from a storyline perspective might have wanted to know.
Dude, Ryu used a SHORYUKEN to scar Sagat. Although he was in Satsui no Hado mode...

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Dude, Ryu used a SHORYUKEN to scar Sagat. Although he was in Satsui no Hado mode...
Here's a direct quote from the Street Fighter Canon Storyline...

"With his skill and
prowess, Ryu quickly advances to the finals, where he fought the host of
the tournament, Sagat. Sagat, however, was more than a match for Ryu, and
proceeded to kick the crap out of him. It seemed like Sagat won. Ryu was
down on the ground. Sagat, seeing this, held out his hand to help Ryu up,
because the victory was obviously Sagat's and the battle was over. But Ryu
wanted to win at all costs. He was desperate to win. For a very brief
moment, he became CONSUMED by his desire to win. A strange mysterious
force overtook him (satsui no hadou) and he immediately teared through Sagat
with a metsu shoryuken."

Capcom themselves made it official, so I don't lie ;). Plus also, with the Shoryuken as itself, yes it's very, very powerful, however it wouldn't be able to tear through the flesh of someone say Sagat, unless it was greater then that. However a Metsu Shoryuken is not your typical Shoryuken.

To Angrylobster, Street Fighter IV is 10000000000000000000X better then Brawl. Because the gameplay was not watered down to appeal to players. Strategy is very heavy in SF:IV...I can tell you this, it is an easy fighting game to pick up and learn, however to do the harder things like 360's or what not requires practice.

Also, learning how to position your character because everyone in Street Fighter has a sweet spot is critical, and again requires another lvl of practice. The game is very well made and will be worth every single dollar you spend on it.

Take it from me, I was heavily critical of SF:IV when I first saw it announced, with the 2-D celshading, and the Focus Attacks, and the Ultra's and what not, which I thought were horrible ideas and wasn't needed. However now, I've changed my mind when I've had roughly around 2 months of playing time with it, this is a very solid fighting game up to this point.

You will not be dissappointed.

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
Seeing as how you're pretty much all SF fans, I've got a controller question for you.

My Hori EX 2 arcade stick arrived yesterday. I finally broke down and bought it at the urging of a fight buddy of mine, who kept insisting my HD Remix , and eventually IV, game would be much more solid if I took the time to learn the stick. I'm a pad fan through and through, despite the 360's abysmal d-pad. I'm just more experienced with it, and every time I've had the opportunity to use an arcade stick in the past, it's just felt strange to me. So far, my progress has been abysmal. I can't performing quarter-circles nearly as well as I could, making some of my favorite wake-up techniques, like the reversal Shoryuken, just about impossible. The only good thing I've found is that I can finally pull off the 360 motion easily, but since I'm a casual Zangief user at best, this knowledge is of no use to me.

My question is this: What advice do you have for someone with ten-plus years of experience with a d-pad but virtually none with an arcade stick?

stranga

Smash Journeyman
I say go with your own personal preference. If you have that much experience with a d-pad and feel more comfortable doing the fireball motions then stick with it unless you really want to learn how to use an arcade stick.

Almost forgot, I wanted your guys opinion on soemthing.
Who do you think I should main between C. Viper,akuma, and vega? I just can't make up my mind, I played with akuma in 3s but mained vega in hd remix and c. viper just seems like a character I would like. Or should I follow gootecks advice and just use them all?

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Practice, practice, practice, that's the biggest part really...

However, depending upon how you hold the stick as well, for me personally, I let the gumball stick slide in between my middle and ring finger about halfway, and I place my thumb up on top of the ball. The setting of your fingers on the buttons themselves really depends, I've seen some weird setups, however for SF I'm sure most have their index, middle and ring finger across for the six button lay-out.

That's the way I used to do it for mine when I had my J-Stick (gave away to my cousin since I no longer play competitively anymore). However, ultimately, find one that's most comfortable with you, no matter how awkward it is, if it fits your playstyle and works for you, who cares.

However, again, practice, practice, practice, that's the only way you'll improve with the J-Stick, and believe me...when your playing SF:IV, and your trying to land those Ultra's which are 3X buttons...its a pain if your doing it on D-Pad without macro...at least the way I setup my buttons it's a pain, lol.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
You can do 360's on a hori ex2, but not DP's?
That's like... exactly the opposite of how it should be.

Huber

Smash Apprentice
It's good that you are playing HDR on a stick to get used to it. Super Turbo has stricter inputs than any other SF game after it and practicing execution on it is a great idea.

You just have to not get frustrated, slow down, and try it over and over. A stick has huge advantages over a pad that is worth getting used too.

I also find that contrary to popular belief, charge characters are easier to pick up on a stick. I played Dhalsim 100% in SF4 at the arcade and got so frustrated I blamed everything on my losses. I tried Ken/Sagat and other characters until I switched to Bison. I saw instant results and after awhile tried Dhalsim again and found I was now much more used to the stick and it wasn't hard anymore.

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
You can do 360's on a hori ex2, but not DP's?
That's like... exactly the opposite of how it should be.
I assume it's because there's a very specific motion set in my mind for the hadouken and shoryuken commands done on a d-pad. I try to apply those principals to the stick without success. For the 360, however, I had no preconceptions except the way I understood it to be done with a stick, so it came pretty naturally.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll keep on practicing, even if it takes months to get back to, and surpass, my previous level of skill.

JDM

Smash Champion
My friend is going crazy over SF4 right now. He even said 3s is no comparsion to it lol. I can't wait to play it on the PS3.

Huber

Smash Apprentice
I just hope she isn't Alpha 1/2 broken.

Then again her Ultra SCREAMS it.

Rufus probably has the best Ultra though.
Rose wasn't that broken in those games IMO.

And consiering the footage we have seen of her Ultra seem to be on stupid mistakes, it's hard to tell how good it is.

I'm pretty convinced Sagat and Bison have the best ultras right now.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Rose looks good and all in video, however we'll truly see when she starts getting broken down competitively and then we start to see the shinks in her armor, after that, we'll start to see how she stacks up to the rest of the cast.

A1 Rose was never broken, there where better characters, Gouki, Ken, Ryu, and arguably the #1 best character in that game, Guy where head and shoulders above Rose. Ask Watson about Guy, during the height of Alpha1, nobody could touch his Guy. Guy was ridiculously insane in that game, c.fk was safe at a certain point, insane walk speed, could run and fake overkick, slide, or stop right next to you. His flip grab did crazy damage, and had a huge grab box, hurricane kick went through projectiles and was an excellent AA, and you can't forget the s.mk.

A2 Rose is strong, but definitely not broken, I'd vouch that Ken and Chunli where much stronger characters, and Chun being able to do half-life damge with a Lvl 1 CC is ridiculous, Ken with his insane CC's and having the greatest Alpha Counter of all time also helped alot. However in Alpha 2, Viscant said that when you got to the Alex Valle/John Choi lvl of playing Alpha 2, Ryu becomes the most powerful character in that game due to the fact that he has the best footsie game in A2 and he has a far more powerful fireball game up close in comparison to Chun or Ken.

Pretty interesting, however he said only about Four people in the world could ever get to that level of Valle/Choi anyhow, lmao, good news is, all of them would have been American, since in Alpha 2 it was USA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Japan :chuckle: .

Anyhow, Rose looks good, but again, all theory still at this point, however I hope she's solid, since she's one of the three of whom I've vying that could "possibly" contenders for at least Upper-Tier status (Sakura and Gouken are the other two).

Lastly, here's the new Tier Listing that just showed up from Japan, it seems that their lvl of gameplay keeps shooting up for different characters, and match ups change through that course...Evolution my friends, Evolution of the the way we are playing SF:IV.

1) Sagat 98 points (+17)
2)Ryu 88 (+8)
3)Zangief 87 (+7)
4)Blanka 84 (+4)
5)Akuma 83 (+3)
5)ChunLi 83 (+3)
5)Boxer 83 (+3)
5)Rufus 83 (+3)
9)Dictator 82 (+2)
10)C.Viper 78 (-2)
10)Ken 78 (-2)
12)Dhalsim 76 (-4)
13)Abel 75 (-5)
14)Guile 74 (-6)
15)E.Honda 73 (-7)
16)El Fuerte 69 (-11)
17)Claw 67 (-13)

Sagat, Ryu, and Zangief at this point thus far, seem to be pretty much set in stone as the top 3, with Sagat having a +17 differential, where as Claw is stuck at -13 (don't start thinking he sUcks btw). Dictator dropped a bit from his #4 ranking earlier, while Blanka went back up to his #4 spot that he had earlier at the beginning of SF:IV's life, however Gouki, and Chunli made some jumps, and Viper having a 78 is amazing considering how much it takes to play her effectively.

I still in some way feel that Japan is not giving Sim enough credit...again, I could be wrong, but I feel he's really solid in this game.

However just so people know, if a character has 80 points that would mean that they have a 5/5 match up across the board, and if you've noticed more than half the characters have a 78 pts + or higher with Claw only 13 pts away from having all 5/5 match ups, again, if your a balance worshiper, you shouldn't need to complain here.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I am shocked to see Dictator that low. I still think he is top 5 at least.
Dictator didn't drop by alot though, if you look at the last one, he had 84 points only, and so it really dropped by a mere 2 pointsl, so from 84 to 82 is almost absolutely no change, in fact, I would say that from Blanka to Dictator in that regards, it's so close together, that even if Dictator went down, it's nothing truly significant.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I wish the HD Remix thread had this level of activity.
If only we could merge both topics together. That would help.

I've been playing a lot more of Third Strike again. It's been awhile since I last picked it up. Can't wait until February when SF IV gets released. Then I'll be alternating between 3 SF games then...

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I'm really surprised to see Ken that low in that list. I've been watching some vids and noticed Ken seems to hit like a truck (especially his shoryuken), but I guess that's not all that matters. Meh I'll probably end up playing Ken or Akuma regardless of tier position.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Wow. The newcomers El Fuerte and Abel are pretty low. I thought they'd be pretty good (especially those vids of El Fuerte beating opponents as they got up).

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
Ken Cammy and Sagat for me it was decided when i saw them in the game :p

and i think Cammy will be high tier the way she looks now and learning her old school movements /sigh is gonna be down right annoying :p

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Ken Cammy and Sagat for me it was decided when i saw them in the game :p

and i think Cammy will be high tier the way she looks now and learning her old school movements /sigh is gonna be down right annoying :p
I don't know about high tier. She doesn't have certain any cheap traits that any of the other high tier characters have.

But I agree about the old school movements. It sucks how her hooligan movement is the tiger knee motion. I even heard that her hooligan throw isn't that good in IV.

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
Anyone preorder the Tournament Edition Fight Sticks by Madcatz?
I really want to get a stick for these fighters, but I'm waiting for confirmation if it works on PC. I've heard the Hori Arcade stick for the PS3 works for PC by pressing the home button after connecting, hope it will be the same case with these Madcatz ones
Also waiting to see how easy it is to mod these because if it required no soldering, I would be replacing the buttons and stick with the higher quality Sanwa parts in the non-tournament edition stick.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Anyone preorder the Tournament Edition Fight Sticks by Madcatz?
I really want to get a stick for these fighters, but I'm waiting for confirmation if it works on PC. I've heard the Hori Arcade stick for the PS3 works for PC by pressing the home button after connecting, hope it will be the same case with these Madcatz ones
Also waiting to see how easy it is to mod these because if it required no soldering, I would be replacing the buttons and stick with the higher quality Sanwa parts in the non-tournament edition stick.
Yes, both Fight Sticks work on the PC. It's going to be difficult getting the TE Fight Stick now, so your best bet is the regular Fight Stick.

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
Oh okay, that's great news :)
Any idea on the moddability of these sticks?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It's very easily moddable. No soldering is required. All you do is stick the buttons in.
Mad Catz was even nice enough to label which wires were connected to certain buttons in case you want to change the layout.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
I already have a custom stick, but the problem is that it's wiring is with a PS1 controller...I've been meaning to get an adapter so I can use it on my PS3 for T5DR, but I went ahead and reserved the regular 360 fightstick since the majority of my friends own 360's. My question now is though, what definitely works? Modding a PS3 stick to work on the 360 as well, or vice versa?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've heard that it's easier to mod a 360 stick because of the security chip in the PCB. It's still hard though as it requires soldering and all.

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info Minato, that sounds ****ing awesome :)
Most likely going to get the regular stick and then just replace the stick and buttons.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I have an arcade stick question.

I've got a PS3 and I'm thinking about getting an arcade stick so that I don't wear out my dpad and also so I don't have to put up with the PS3's ****ty shoulder buttons. However, this would effectively double the cost of me getting SFIV and SSFIIHDR and I seriously doubt I'll be playing either competitively so I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

Thoughts?

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
I have an arcade stick question.

I've got a PS3 and I'm thinking about getting an arcade stick so that I don't wear out my dpad and also so I don't have to put up with the PS3's ****ty shoulder buttons. However, this would effectively double the cost of me getting SFIV and SSFIIHDR and I seriously doubt I'll be playing either competitively so I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

Thoughts?
Personal preference really. I personally will -probably- get a stick for the PC version. I have access to a PS3 easily but it's not mine so I don't know how long it will last. I plan to play at the arcades eventually so I'd prefer to get used to the button styling. Besides, I've always loved using a stick more than a PS controller, though oddly enough I find keyboard to be the easiest input for me to utilize well (all my moves come out when I want them to, etc).

As for your situation, if you play regularly then I'd go for the stick, if you're going to play it once in a blue moon casually then stick with the sixaxis

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
This isn't exactly topic related, but Kevin, did you play a 3S rom on the PC? I wonder if someone can kara demon with the keyboard. That'd be ****ing nuts, XD.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I'm not a hardcore fighter but I do want a fighting stick so I can at least not get steamrolled by pros so would the less expensive stick from madcatz (not that crappy controller one lulz) be right for me?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm not a hardcore fighter but I do want a fighting stick so I can at least not get steamrolled by pros so would the less expensive stick from madcatz (not that crappy controller one lulz) be right for me?
During the special 1UP preview for SF IV, they had some tourney goers that mentioned that the less expensive Fight Stick is just fine. While it's not as good as the TE, it'll be fine whether you're a pro or a casual player.

Just remember that both Fight Sticks are limited, and GS isn't even taking anymore preorders for the TE.

VaneWalker

Smash Apprentice
Okay who would win in a fight Sonic the Hedgehog or Akuma from street fighter My friend just won't face the facts.

"And on Topic" Im really looking forword to SF4, I really want to play as El Fuerte, he looks fun and fast despite his weakness.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Okay who would win in a fight Sonic the Hedgehog or Akuma from street fighter My friend just won't face the facts.

"And on Topic" Im really looking forword to SF4, I really want to play as El Fuerte, he looks fun and fast despite his weakness.
Well this is random.

If you are talking about Brawl Sonic, it would depend on which game engine is used (Sonic in SFIV or Akuma in Brawl) and how they translate into the engine.

And if you are talking about from their established canon selves,......I'm not going to get into that...

Top Bottom