• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

xxFrohawkxx

Smash Apprentice
Don't get me started on cheaters. Ever go into a match where your against someone like AKuma, Claw, or Kens who just sit and Hadoken until you get close and Dragon punches or goes for what ever Claw does...its like 30 secs or 99 secs 1 round. And by the time you realize WTF was going on the match is over.

Don't get me wrong I usually beat them with Boxer and Guile pretty easily, but it gets annoying to see someone with 3000bp or more just being a Noob.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Tekken vs Street Fighter? I hardly doubt it would happen, but I could see some of the rivals...

Jin - Ryu
Lars - Ken
Nina - Chun-Li
Kazuya - Sagat
Heihachi - Dictator
Eddy/Christie - Elena
Xiaoyu - Sakura
Yoshimitsu - Dhalsim
King - El Fuerte
Paul - Alex
Steve - Dudley
Zafina - Rose
Hwoarang - Juri
Kuma - Zangief
Devil/Devil Jin - Akuma
Mokujin - Dan
Raven - Q

this was done in like two minutes, even better matches can be found for sure (excluding super obvious Ganryu - Honda types)

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Tekken vs Street Fighter imo would be virtually impossible as a purist fighting game, and "if" it was, I believe it would be built on completely different confines.

You simply could not make the game without drastically changing things for either the Tekken characters, or the Street Fighter characters. If you make it 2-D, how would characters like Jin etc, be able to utilize their SSing in those games, with things like WD that would be possible, however the Tekken characters would be at a significant disadvantage here.

Because they don't have very good mid-range effective pokes, just think, their pokes now, Ryu would mop the floor with them, because he's got great far reaching pokes like c.mk, c.fk, etc, etc. Which would make it extremely difficult for Tekken characters to try and get in on, then you add the fact that SF characters have projectiles and characters like Jin would have problems right there.

However, if you put them in a 3-D plane, then the Street Fighter characters would have problems now, because Ryu's footsie game would no longer be as effective as it once was within a 2-D plane, not to mention his Hadouken, which could literally be side stepped with ease, "unless" you made projectiles fly at a far, far, far, far greater speed.

It's been known that Projectiles in a 3-D realm are quite pathetic, not to mention, nearly all of Ryu's Specials would be useless, how effective would Shoryuken be, in a 3-D platform like Tekken? It would be virtually pointless as an anti-air, because almost nobody jumps, and how great would hurricane kick be?

Guile's Sonic Boom would need to be amped up in speed with tremendous results, otherwise the slow speed of it being an effective strategy is useless on a 3-D plane, because of SS, and the accessibility to get around it. The only thing that could "work" would be the button lay outs, because although Tekken would only have 4-buttons, while SF has 6-buttons. You could simply make the 6-button lay out, however playing as the Tekken characters, they can just use four out of the six buttons on there.

However overall there are just so many problems with a Tekken vs Street Fighter, that I don't see how they could truly "work" it without devaluing aspects from either the Tekken engine, or the Street Fighter. The reason being is, that in Tekken, you are forced to playing close quarters because that's what you can do, while in Street Fighter, you have long, mid, close range strategies, and by leaning towards either side to much, you'll force problems and devalue things from either side too significantly.

This would result in you simply either angering the Tekken players, or the Street Fighter players, if you choose to "work" with one engine more so then the other.

I honestly don't see it happening unless they just do something that's "fun" like a Power Stone type of game. Otherwise as a "serious" fighter, I highly doubt it being able to work, because the problems that would arise from what I stated above.

It would be 100x more plausible to make a Virtua Fighter vs Tekken, then the a SF vs Tekken.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
One other way would be to do it as a platform fighter like Super Smash Bros. Therefore, neither side is necessarily favored. Both characters would have to be adapted for a different type of fighter. Of course, I could be dead wrong with this as I don't play 3D fighters.

xxFrohawkxx

Smash Apprentice
Hehehe but you know what would really be silly, Mortal Kombat Vs Street Fighter.

>.> work around a 2d plane and combos are over the top for both, it could happen easier than Tekken vs SF

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Great matches Jam, pretty amazing, lol.

Your Chun had me goin "wtf" with all the mixups, lol.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Lmao, you wouldn't let me do any of them!

I have like 3 U1 set-ups from the corner and I couldn't catch you with any of them, lol.

What'd you think of my Akuma? I planned on playing a few matches with Fei and Bison as well, but they're pretty rusty atm.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Lmao, you wouldn't let me do any of them!

I have like 3 U1 set-ups from the corner and I couldn't catch you with any of them, lol.

What'd you think of my Akuma? I planned on playing a few matches with Fei and Bison as well, but they're pretty rusty atm.
You were rocking me pretty hard in those first few matches with him. I'd say he's pretty good.

Chun is really the only character I'm competent with. I like to play Makoto because she's fun, but as you saw I'm awful with her.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
One other way would be to do it as a platform fighter like Super Smash Bros. Therefore, neither side is necessarily favored. Both characters would have to be adapted for a different type of fighter. Of course, I could be dead wrong with this as I don't play 3D fighters.
That wouldn't attract either crowd then, because anyone who takes those fighting games moderately seriously wouldn't bother to play it for that long if it used a "Smash Bros" formula, look to how the majority of SF and Tekken players view the Smash engine already and that should tell you right off the bat.

The thing is, you want to keep fundamentals the same because it allows people who are already accustomed to the game to be able to get into it and start it up quickly. Completely revamping it won't help it out at all.

The problem is, that SF is 2-D while Tekken is 3-D, so if you "did" a Smash style, it wouldn't work, because it would greatly benefit SF characters more so then Tekken characters, not to mention, you can't possibly put in all of their moves with the button lay out of smash either. The fact that they both are from two different platforms, plus they utilize two different button layouts and because of their platforms, their characters play completely unique and distinctively to this.

It would be an absolute nightmare for Capcom or Namco to pull this off, the "only" way I see a Street Fighter vs Tekken is if they made another Namco X Capcom game, or a "power stone" like game, those are it, a genre which basically will not be taken seriously and more of a party game. There's no way you can make a Street Fighter vs Tekken that could take the best of both worlds, because it won't happen, unless you lean to one side or the other.

Being a competitor in my time for both games, it's impossible, unless it's another Namco x Capcom 2.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The thing is, you want to keep fundamentals the same because it allows people who are already accustomed to the game to be able to get into it and start it up quickly. Completely revamping it won't help it out at all.
Being a competitor in my time for both games, it's impossible, unless it's another Namco x Capcom 2.
So what your saying is, they shouldn't change anything because it would butt hurt nostalgia ***s, and people would have to learn a new game, but because they can't do that its impossible. I see.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I would agree that would be my criticism for his hate on SF III, but really, this is about taking two completely different styles of fighters and completely redesigning one.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
So what your saying is, they shouldn't change anything because it would butt hurt nostalgia ***s, and people would have to learn a new game, but because they can't do that its impossible. I see.
I must've hit you on the wrong button, because you simply never read my statements with a clear mind before talking and making everyone realize as to why you don't know anything about how Street Fighter or Tekken works.

They are both Two Very Different Games, and to do either or would cause traumatic problems to any player who has taken them seriously. You simply cannot do one or the other, without reaching raising issues.

Again, you make baseless and I'm sorry, ******** claims, but honestly, have you really played Street Fighter or Tekken seriously enough to realize why this would be a terrible idea? Well? How would Kazuya be able to zone space with (E)wgf if there is no SS??? How? How effective would Ryu's Shoryuken be in a 3-d platform like Tekken's where jumping is almost unnecessary?

My point of getting across was the fact that you can't make a serious fighting game with SF vs Tekken without catering to one side or the other, without completely removing all aspects of how either truly plays. Thus making it a game that would not be taken seriously by either SF or Tekken players alike, which would be the real focus of whom Namco and Capcom would be trying to cater too. Get that through to yourself before you come back and try to call me out, considering just between the two of us, it seems I'm the only one who actually knows how play both to realize why it would be a terrible idea to do this.

Because I'm getting tired of you simply disagreeing with me, and saying that I'm bsing, but then again, you give absolutely no scenario, situations, or anything revolving either game to try and prove your point. Nor have you shown anything to disprove what I say which is the real kicker here. Secondly, this rumor was found out to be false anyways, and for good reason, a 2-D fighting game platform vs 3-D fighting game platform ='s Will Not Work.

As for SFIII, I have posted in-depth reasons in either this thread or another Street Fighter thread well over a year ago why it's the absolute worse SF series from the legit SF series (meaning, SFII, SFAlpha, SFIII, and SFIV), and I really will not go into that again.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I enjoyed SF III and parry lol. But parry did create problems.
I find SF III fun on a casual competitive level though.

As for SF VS Tekken, it'd be awesome if it was like Capcom and SNK. What I mean is, it'd be cool if both companies got to make their own version of the crossover game and just see how Tekken characters would adapt to SF style and vice versa. Of course this won't happen unless both companies are willing to throw out a lot of money and manpower just for this.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I love all the mainstream Street Fighter titles, with some exceptions (Zero 1, Zero 3, New Generation, I'm looking at you...)

xxFrohawkxx

Smash Apprentice
Well I just got my fightstick yesterday! It plays nice and all since i usually play with Guile and Balrog. But now im doing better with charge characters and I am complete **** with shotos and most grabbers. Anyone got any advice for me.

Also my stick has a square gate...if that helps.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I love all the mainstream Street Fighter titles, with some exceptions (Zero 1, Zero 3, New Generation, I'm looking at you...)
For me, my least favorite SF game would have to be Street Fighter IV. SF III New Generation wasn't too fun from what I remembered. As for Alpha 3, I don't really play Alpha 3 much, but V-ism ruins it.

And what was wrong with Alpha? I'm only asking this since I didn't know how competitive SF worked back then.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I actually LOVE Zero 2, Zero 1 was just rushed (same problem with New Generation) and Zero 3 felt like they were adding too much in and V-Ism became even more broken than custom combos, as well as being one of the most unbalanced SF titles ever, I just have no fun and get absolutely no satisfaction from it.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Alpha 2 was definitely my most favorite of the Alpha series, however Alpha 1 was still a great game imo. The only thing it lacked was that its character roster was slightly less, however I enjoyed the fact that there wasn't stupid broken crap like CC's or VC's in the game, so footsies and zoning played an even more effective option in those games then in later installments.

The only real problem I had with Alpha 1 was that Guy was convincingly quite stupid in that game, literally having like, no bad match ups in there, with his only tough match up meaning like 5-5 or 5.5 in his favor even against Gouki only. The dude was super boss in Alpha 1, I remember when Alpha 1 first came out, although I was a purist Ryu player at that time, I was showing everyone locally why Guy was hands down #1 in that game when you play him right.

Hurricane kick goes through fireballs, hits ducking characters even on low block, great combobility, flip grab leads to aerial supers, s.mk pawned, sweep was unpunishable at the right distance. Everything about Guy in Alpha 1 was crazy.

Alpha 3 to me was the worse, it felt the least like a Street Fighter game, and the fact that projectiles did less damage the further they traveled was also stupid. I hated all of the univeral crap they threw into Alpha 3 as well, which annoyed me alot. I still played it, but it never was as enjoyable as Alpha 2 which felt more like a Street Fighter game.

"If" we removed my competitive years playing SFII which were most dedicated and prime years, Alpha 1 and 2 were the other two SF games that I spent a large portion playing competitively back in its day.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
The Super Street Fighter IV scene has been growing exponentially. In my extremely humble opinion this is a very good thing because there are always plenty of people on-line regardless of what time I log on. Granted plenty of people lack imagination and play as Ken and Ryu but lately I’ve been seeing greater diversity of character selection.

pdk

Smash Lord
Well I just got my fightstick yesterday! It plays nice and all since i usually play with Guile and Balrog. But now im doing better with charge characters and I am complete **** with shotos and most grabbers. Anyone got any advice for me.

Also my stick has a square gate...if that helps.
gotta train yourself to get an intuitive sense that hugging the edges of the gate while doing motions is bad; you won't pull anything off easily by grinding on the corners of the gate when you do a motion but after you condition yourself to do that less it will be liberating in a sense, it's not unheard of even for people to have trouble with things like dashing for the first half hour or so they start using stick

the "feel" of the stick part and overall responsiveness/amount of throw (tilt in degrees from the neutral position) needed to activate are largely determined by brand and gate; i used to have an hfs2 for a year and after picking up a hrap3 in 2007 (since i mostly emulate with it anyway at the moment and it's easier to maintain the parts than hfs) and the first thing that stuck out was the stick part (hrap's sanwa vs. hfs' stock hori) was "tighter," seemed to require less throw distance and didn't move around as freely just jiggling it lightly without hitting the switches

some folks attribute the ability to do certain motions more easily to your grip as well or bat (happ) vs. ball (sanwa, etc.) tops on the end of the stick or even using it crosshanded; i can't say i've experimented with this though and i just hold it with two fingers and thumb gripping the ball top

some googling of the stick model or poking around on shoryuken will reveal the brand and model of the actual stick part and buttons that come out of the box, swapping these out is easier for some sticks than others (hrap/vshg would have those little quick-removal thingies on the ends of the wires while in something cheaper like hfs the wires would be soldered to the connectors on the stick and buttons), if you decide to experiment with different picks i believe the sticks can be around $10-15 new (e.g., on lizardlick or arcadeshock) and the real nice buttons up to $1.50-2 each (i'm still just using the stock hori buttons and sanwa stick in the hrap3, the buttons are still serving alright after nearly 3 years though in the hfs2 earlier two of them died after a year and those ones were soldered to the circuit board)

capcom and other games will generally recognize just a 270-degree rotation as a 360, you can do forward -> up or back -> up and get the 360 out reliably; on keyboard you could similarly just tap hcf u or hcb u for 360

PS we could stand to have a ggpo roster or something goin' on here so i'd have something to post about more than once every 14 months apparently

and speaking of which let's take this moment to slip in some fine ideas to consider for those GGin' and POin' antics

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So now that I have her alt, I've been playing Juri a little. I hate how her EX Dive Kick -> Ultra2 randomly doesn't work depending on what part of the screen you're on. Is this a known thing or is it just me doing Ultra2 too early/late?

Also, I love Puzzle Fighter. Ken is totally broken, but I don't play PF competitively so I don't care.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OaYb7PW9QwA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OaYb7PW9QwA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

So good

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Hello. I have both Xbox and PS3, and I was planning to get SSFIV next week. I know there won't be any difference in how the game plays, but is there any real difference in Online? As a MW2 player, I know a lot of PS3 owners don't own mics. Is this the same for the PS3 SSFIV community, or should I just get it on Xbox instead?

I know this is a trivial and pointless question. Please bear with my curiosity.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OaYb7PW9QwA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OaYb7PW9QwA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

So good
already posted.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Hello. I have both Xbox and PS3, and I was planning to get SSFIV next week. I know there won't be any difference in how the game plays, but is there any real difference in Online? As a MW2 player, I know a lot of PS3 owners don't own mics. Is this the same for the PS3 SSFIV community, or should I just get it on Xbox instead?

I know this is a trivial and pointless question. Please bear with my curiosity.
The Xbox 360 version of Super Street Fighter IV is really only playable if you invest in a fightpad or arcade stick. I’ve heard some people say that they use the standard 360 controller but I tried that for a while and it was a complete chore.

It doesn’t really matter too much about the mic because very few people talk on-line but thankfully my Madcatz fightpad supports the standard 360 microphone.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The Xbox 360 version of Super Street Fighter IV is really only playable if you invest in a fightpad or arcade stick. I’ve heard some people say that they use the standard 360 controller but I tried that for a while and it was a complete chore.

It doesn’t really matter too much about the mic because very few people talk on-line but thankfully my Madcatz fightpad supports the standard 360 microphone.
The 360 controller is a nightmare, especially when it comes to using the top shoulder buttons which is where I assigned my HP and HK.

I've decided to drop Chun-Li and go back to Ibuki. I think speed is my calling.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Lol, in all honesty, I planned on getting it for both. But I'm strapped for cash until July, so I'll get it for PS3 first, as more I know more people who have PS3.
That’s a smart idea since the standard PS3 controller lends itself better to SSF IV than the official 360 pad does.

By the way, even though I suck at it I’m slowly becoming addicted to SSF IV.

Nano5896

Smash Rookie

So good
I was there, but I didn't remember seeing that

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
I haven't played Street Fighter in many, many, many years. Trying to get back into it now, since Smash sucks, and MW2 is making me RAAAGGEEE.

****, I'm gonna suck so bad.

Top Bottom