• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Hey folks, I got SSFIV Friday for the 360 and am totally new at this. So far I'm maining El Fuerte. I like his dash shenanigans (can BARELY pull them off occasionally) and his dancing idle animation :3

Do you guys think El Fuerte is a good character to main?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As a diehard El Fuerte main:

1. Prepare for a LOT of people to hate on you, even for all the wrong and most shallow reasons (I had one person telling me to stop dash dancing because it was annoying).
2. Continuing with #1, one of your tasks is to annoy the hell out of your opponent.
3. El Fuerte doesn't have a lot of good pokes outside of s.HK, s.MP, s.LP, and cr.MK so be careful when it comes to spacing.
4. IMO, his air normals are something. I've found them useful for jumpins, but be moderate on using them.

5. You have to constantly mix up your tactics, more so than any other character except for maybe Viper. This absolutely important when you get a knockdown. Read your opponent and make educated guesses as to what to do to keep them down.
6. He does not have a of combos, but he has the only infinite in this game. Do everything you can to learn Run Stop Fierce.
7. Once the arcade edition is released for consoles (if and when), El Fuerte is going to have significant changes, a lot of which we don't know about. Since you're coming in fresh, this shouldn't matter.
8. El Fuerte is low tier. His wins require a lot of work at the higher levels, but they bring about a lot of hype and I find him to be the most fun character to play as.

EDIT:
9. El Fuerte's more advanced techniques, most of which involve the dash, are rather technical. You'll be spending time in the training room. Of course, every character except Balrog (jk, don't really know) requires significant technical prowess.
Ask me anything about El Fuerte, and I'll see what I can do.

And as Lythium said, play who you like the best. Don't think about tiers or anything of the sort. If you believe El Fuerte is going to be the one to provide you with the most fun, play as him. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

BTW, Lythium, how's Juri shaping up?

EDIT:
I'm KumaOso on XBL as well. Hit me up sometime. I have a little thing set up at SRK for training Fuertes.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hey, we don't know for certain yet. Remember that not everything on the blogs were all the changes. I still think there's other surprises in store, like Quesadilla Bomb actually being useful.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
ahhhh yes. I get the same thing with valk tho. Hes gettin some hard nerfs cuz scrubs say hes op. But who cares scrubs ruin everything from melee to sf to marvel.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
BTW, Lythium, how's Juri shaping up?
Not bad, not bad.

Honestly, I haven't been playing much SSFIV lately, or fighting games in general. I've been stuck on Assassin's Creed for a while now. :laugh:

I did play some casuals tonight though against the TO of the SSFIV scene in my area, and he said I was pretty decent. When I confessed that I hadn't really been practicing, he told me that I would probably be quite good if I actually practiced. Which I took as a compliment. But yeah, he gave me some advice and some new tricks to work with.

It's a work in progress. Apparently, countering fireballs scares people. :cool:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That reminds me how I need to set up a 15 min "Training Workout". I already do one for my body, I might as well do one for my game. In the mean time, I need to set one up for my classes. Finals are coming up quick.

Oh, and was my Juri suggestion sexist in any way to you?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Haha, I know what you mean.

He said my offense and footsies are excellent, though my defense could use some work. It doesn't help that Juri doesn't have great anti-air options, I guess.

Staying free.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
1. Prepare for a LOT of people to hate on you, even for all the wrong and most shallow reasons (I had one person telling me to stop dash dancing because it was annoying).
I feel bad for Kuma. To everyone who watches Gootecks and Mike Ross' show, he's going to be known as "the guy who runs a lot".

I've been stuck on Assassin's Creed for a while now. :laugh:
The new one? How's that going?

Man, what's with everybody and Panty and Stocking? I may actually have to watch this show to see what all the unfounded hype is about.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I feel bad for Kuma. To everyone who watches Gootecks and Mike Ross' show, he's going to be known as "the guy who runs a lot".
Oh, that's nothing. I can live with that.

What's worse is that I have people that are either trolling me or hate me because I play a character they don't like, and because I'm friends with a troll. Then you've got some who try to make very unfounded suggestions or don't know why I do certain things in a match.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I went to a SF Augmentation thingie in my city and erhm. It's basically stations with pros that you can go on and play a best of 5 set against them and they'll tell you what you did wrong, what to improve.

I went 0-3 against everyone of them lol I'm horrible.

I guess it's my fault not owning this game and not practising it.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Snafoo, Romeo, Chi-Rithy.

Snafoo used Dhalsim at first. Guile:Dhalsim is horrible and I had no idea what to do (which helps alot lol). After that we played like 10 games straight Cody-Guile and he would only let me go until I beat him. I finally did and he was explaining to me that, when he got hit by a bunch of my standing fierces in a row he got flustered and started to jump at me, and I anti-aired him to victory. And I was like, "maybe that's something you have to work on" and we both went OOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Both Romeo and Chi-Rithy used Ryu on my guile.

Chi is just a monster and I couldn't touch him.
Romeo was just messing around. As soon as he saw I had trouble teching throws he said he would only go for them and he went for 3 tick-throws in a row lol.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Well, Yeah.

Not command grabs though.

Just press the throw command within 10 frames (3 frames of startup + 7 additional frames after the throw) and you will tech your opponent's throw.

kr3wman

Smash Master
It's a throw that is a character's special move, not one of the normal throw (lp+lk)

Zangief has the Spinning piledriver, the Suplex and the running bear grab.
Honda has the ochio throw, Abel has the Tornado throw, etc.

You can only get out of them if you're considered in the air or doing something that's invincible. (Or just being out of it's range.)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You can't block command grabs. Your best bet is to beat it with a jab, dash back, or jump away when it comes to using Fuerte.

Oh, and in general, don't forget to block. I don't know where the stereotype came from, but Americans can't seem to block.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I know in BlazBlue they say that Americans can't block overheads (or finish combos, etc.), but I've never heard that in SF.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
It comes up in pretty much every game.

People just don't bother to take the time to learn how to better their execution. I put it off for a really long time, and had to relearn everything. And it's still not that good.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Probably because it takes so long for some people to develop the muscle memory for some of the combos, especially in SF.

Renowned for its 1-frame links...

Minato

穏やかじゃない
In Street Fighter's case, I think America does fine in combos.
It's just a lot of people learn combos and matchups first without learning basic fundamentals like footsies and blocking in SF.

As for other games, it's both. lol

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Sagat sucked in Super. He needed buffs and in a world with Ryu cr.MK, Sagat deserves st.LK.

I really wish Capcom would go with my idea of making Guile Sonic Booms have greater start-up lag, but at least they won't be building an entire Super meter with 3 Sonic Booms anymore.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Dhalsim

• Normal move damage has been revised. Some decreased, some improved, some left alone.
Right now I'm reading this as:
• Standing HP and MP damage nerfed so that you can no longer win fireball wars by trading.
:(

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Sonic booms weren't changed at all...
Unless you were expecting more recovery/startup, didn't they say way back that Guile can't build meter with them until it hits the opponent or is blocked?
Not sure if that was true or actually stayed though.

Top Bottom