• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
1601611099314.png

Mentioned this in the general social, but there's something about this shot from the trailer that really gets me

Feels pretty symbolic, like the old king of gaming meeting the new.

idk man, this timeline is still pretty surreal lol

Anyways, as for alts, I'm feeling both Kilt Steve and Zombie, personally

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, wondering if it's possible to craft a bow, or if they decided they don't want the character to be able to camp.

Goldschuss

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goldschuss
I realize that integrating Steve into Smash must've been a ton of work. Poor Sakurai was looking worn out.
I have a lot of respect for his creation, still I wish they gave him a model to fit with the Smash looks. He looks so out of place with his models and the same facial expression, that they used in Beta.
Terry went from 2D to 3D, just to fit into smash...Steve gets nothing.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
This reveal got me to log back in to this old account of mine.

Gotta say, Steve was never really on my radar for Smash. In fact, I don't even think I would have even wanted him in Smash. But after seeing that reveal... Seeing Steve in action... I'm all for this. In fact, I would even go as far as to say that I think I found a new main.

Gonna definitely be using that Enderman skin for sure.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'll be the first to admit it; two or three years ago, Steve was probably my most hated character idea for Smash Ultimate. I never really played MInecraft - I played a short demo of it on the Vita, but that was all. When it comes to Smash, I was indeed part of that "old man yelling at cloud" stereotype and quite vehement towards the idea of Steve being playable. Grotesque Steve didn't help matters either.

As time went on though with the reveal of Banjo-Kazooie and getting bored of speculation, I just ran out of energy to keep hating the idea of Steve and actually started considering "You know, maybe a Mii Costume might not be a bad idea at all. I wouldn't mind that." Probably another factor that gave me a change of heart was falling into the rabbit hole of Vtubers playing Minecraft and the various shenanigans that ensued. At that point, I'd pretty much felt "Yeah you know, Minecraft might not be so bad after all," and eventually bought a copy of it for the Switch too. Haven't had too much playtime with it though, but I had significantly warmed up to the idea of Minecraft being represented after seeing so many people have fun with the game.

I couldn't have been happier to be proven wrong with this completely out of nowhere pick. I'm thankful to have my expectations tempered for even the worst-case scenario (that being Steve), but after seeing him in gameplay I was just smiling and excited to see Sakurai throw all my concerns out the window and be one of the most complicated characters to develop and fun too! Alex was a pleasant surprise too, but the Enderman more so since I never quite figured out how to fight them when I first played it on the Switch lol.

That said, congratulations to those who have been rooting for Steve/Alex for so long! I'd be happy to try them out when they launch. (Definitely going to play with Steve, Alex, Tennis skins and Enderman colours)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The interesting thing about Steve that we got 2 playable villains alongside him Zombie and Enderman which is something I didn’t expect would happen
Also I am curious was that design of short Enderman has ever been used in Minecraft?
From a cursory look at TV Tropes, no. This is the first time this has ever happened, so it's actually weaker-looking here.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Hey all! Prefacing by saying that while this character isn't my cup of tea, seeing all the positive reactions has been really nice, and it's made me warm up to it a little. All in all, Congratulations to all of you! I hope you enjoy the character.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The interesting thing about Steve that we got 2 playable villains alongside him Zombie and Enderman which is something I didn’t expect would happen
Also I am curious was that design of short Enderman has ever been used in Minecraft?
Well there was an official Enderman skin for players but it didn't have skinny arms.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Just coming in here to say congrats everyone! Our boy made it in, and with Alex, Zombie, and Enderman too!

Gosh, it still all feels so unreal to me. Minecraft is a huge, huge favorite of mine and is what got me into the world of fan content and modding, so I owe it a great deal for how I view and play games nowadays. Can't wait for the presentation tomorrow!

Also, definitely maining the Enderman skin. he is smol

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I really hope the Enderman's skinny limbs don't affect his hurtbox. Not because I think it will matter much-at the end of the day, the better player in a 1v1 will win-but because it would cause quite a bit of controversy among the kinds of people who think the choice between Peach and Daisy actually matters, aesthetics aside. It would really paint our community in a bad light.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think I've warmed up a little to using the character some (as Alex), at the very least I want to use them ans see how they feel.
I've only played Minecraft once, but I've watched people play it and I love builder games.

I do wonder what's all possible with them, and wanna see more gameplay. Thankfully we're getting the next presentation very soon :)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So, in Sakurai's column from way back when when he praised Minecraft on Switch, he mentioned watching Yoiko's Minecraft Survival. I'm a big fan of Arino and this series helped me understand Minecraft and its appeal. One running gag is Hamaguchi's character constantly eating in front of Arino. I have to wonder if this was a sly little shoutout to them.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I realize that integrating Steve into Smash must've been a ton of work. Poor Sakurai was looking worn out.
I have a lot of respect for his creation, still I wish they gave him a model to fit with the Smash looks. He looks so out of place with his models and the same facial expression, that they used in Beta.
Terry went from 2D to 3D, just to fit into smash...Steve gets nothing.
I think Steve would've looked weird if he were quote-unquote "smashified". His design is pretty basic compared to the rest of the cast, literally and simply being a square humanoid being. I feel like if they animated him akin to those minecraft animations you find on youtube, it wouldn't really pay homage to how he is in the game itself. And to be honest, in my personal view, I find the out of place'dness to be sort of appealing, seeing that he's such a strange looking character compared to the cast but somehow managed to be integrated into this games engine. But that's my opinion ^^

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Congratulations on Steve. Seeing that Steve took 5 years to get into Smash has been quite the game changer for speculation and that's definitely more than welcomed.
No kidding, people have already pointed out that this could potentially mean not all leakers were full of it, guessing Minecraft content for Smash, they just had limited information at the time.

Still, I'm content to just wait and see what's coming next without worrying what could now be really real again.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I kinda have the feeling that Steve will have many glitches with his moveset but it would be interesting to see
There might even be a lot of new glitches on stages in general, since they had to rework them for the character

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No kidding, people have already pointed out that this could potentially mean not all leakers were full of it, guessing Minecraft content for Smash, they just had limited information at the time.

Still, I'm content to just wait and see what's coming next without worrying what could now be really real again.
The BIG outtake from this is that things can take years to pan out. On my end, when I was in Sabi's circle, 2 Microsoft ambassadors told him in April 2019 that Steve was more than likely leakbait for Banjo so we simply took their word for it. Once Banjo was revealed, serious Steve discussion literally evaporated. Nobody on my end heard anything about him and nobody ever brought him up again. Fast forward to December 2019 and evidence starts coming in that Microsoft was still involved in Smash but all the stuff people were finding hard correlated to Master Chief, not Steve. That's why Chief was one of my E3 2020 predictions. It's kind of wild that the 2018 Minecraft rumors were ultimately right and literally redefines how we view the development process.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
I'm dusting my old account here just to say this:

I'm pleasingly surprised by Steve from Minecraft is in the smash. Back then, when we were discussing smash ultimate in the hype of pre-release, verge was always claiming that Minecraft content would be in which I found it very ridculous but crazy as I don't see how minecraft would work in smash at that time. During those times, groqstue steve memes first rise up just before november 1 direct. While I do not mind those memes back then, they were so annoying that it almost makes me not wanting steve to join smash. But for some reason, other part of me wants to see steve in smash which I would come to forget about until yesterday where minecraft steve got announced.

I want to say that when I was 16 years old, I got Minecraft and it was part of my active gaming life back then before growing out of that phase and has moved into other things.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Congratulations on Steve. Seeing that Steve took 5 years to get into Smash has been quite the game changer for speculation and that's definitely more than welcomed.
At the very least Steve's long negotiation time implies characters can be planned for years ahead, perhaps even be put into a waiting list to finish characters with higher priorities first. I don't think all of FP2 will be characters like this as evidenced by Min Min. But for characters with rumors dating for years like Ryu Hayabusa it opens their cases up again for inspection.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
So I have a question about Steve that's been bugging me ever since I've seen someone mention it a few days ago....

Does Steve have a goatee or is that his mouth? Is the line between his eyes his mouth or is that his nose?

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So I have a question about Steve that's been bugging me ever since I've seen someone mention it a few days ago....

Does Steve have a goatee or is that his mouth? Is the line between his eyes his mouth or is that his nose?
He does have a goatee; the 2 pixels just under his eyes are his nose. The 2 pixels under his nose are his mouth; those two are a bit pinkish, less so in Smash for some reason.

Reactions: Voe

Voe

Smash Journeyman
He does have a goatee; the 2 pixels just under his eyes are his nose. The 2 pixels under his nose are his mouth; those two are a bit pinkish, less so in Smash for some reason.
OHHH I see it now. For years I always believed Steve just had a big smile on his face. :4pacman:

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So, what do you guys think his Mii Costume wave will be like?
Personally, I'm guessing that it could go something like:
  • Minecraft Diamond Armor (Mii Swordfighter)
  • Creeper / Pig Hat (Either or would be great)
  • Monster Hunter (Mii Swordfighter, Returning from Smash 4)
  • Rathalos Armor (Mii Swordfighter, Returning from Smash 4)
  • Master Chief (Mii Gunner, comes with Halo main theme music track)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So, what do you guys think his Mii Costume wave will be like?
Personally, I'm guessing that it could go something like:
  • Minecraft Diamond Armor (Mii Swordfighter)
  • Creeper / Pig Hat (Either or would be great)
  • Monster Hunter (Mii Swordfighter, Returning from Smash 4)
  • Rathalos Armor (Mii Swordfighter, Returning from Smash 4)
  • Master Chief (Mii Gunner, comes with Halo main theme music track)
Hmm I'm gonna go with

• Creeper Hat
  • Pillager (Mii Swordfighter)
  • Pig Hat
  • Lloyd (Returning)
  • Gil (Returning)
  • Madeline (Celeste premium Mii costume that comes with a song, Mii Brawler)

Top Bottom