• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starting to play brawl again - Picking up Ike

Palpi

Smash Hero
Well, other than the knockback of Bowser's Fsmash, they aren't very similar since Bowser's Fsmash has 2 hits right?

edit; Gold Ike Ftw.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Gimpyfish, if I tell you one thing about Ike, I will tell you this, and this is the one thing you need to always be aware of when using Ike. Ike only has two attacks that can consistently be safe on block. Jab and F-air.

Yeah, it kinda sucks. Many characters can either shieldgrab, Up-smash, or Up-B out of shield against almost everything else you do. Do of course mindgame into other random attacks after you’ve had fun poking your opponent with Jabs and F-airs so you can actually KO them (B-air out of shield is decent for KOs as long as it doesn't go over their heads). Don’t go above ppl cause Ike is easily juggled. Don’t go offstage much to edgeguard cause you risk getting edgehogged on the way back.

IMO, Ike has one of the most limited movesets in Brawl. Well, not as limited as someone like Captain Falcon though lol.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Gimpyfish, if I tell you one thing about Ike, I will tell you this, and this is the one thing you need to always be aware of when using Ike. Ike only has two attacks that can consistently be safe on block. Jab and F-air.
"I tell you one thing about Ike", at least I can't accuse of you lying about that part. Would you get another ****ing gimmick already? Every time anyone even so much as mentions ike you bring up that nair isnt safe on block. We ****ing know that, **** isnt new, did your ike play like stop in may or something? Shut the hell up already.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Isn't this the guy who goes around every board and posts the stupidest **** about characters and always gets lashed at for stupid ****?

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I don't even care if he is, I just swear to god he's been a broken record since somewhere around late april, ****'s just redundant by now.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Yeah...I swear I've heard you say that 483 times in the past few months.

...needs something...new...fresh...not repeated 483 times...

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
He underestimates any character not to his liking... and always overestimates the characters he's defending.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
You know there are like 2 Ike guides here -_- just saying if this was anyone else this would be closed.

Not calling you out gimpy, but I'm just saying.

Good Luck with Ike!

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Hard to ignore him when he's going to every board saying "lulz, ike has like, 2 good moves lulz he sucks 7-3 your advantage"
Does he really do this on every character board? I've only seen him on, like, a couple of them. Then again, I don't go to the character boards that much with the exception of Ike and Marth.

Or, I can berate him for being ****ing mindnumbing. Gonna go with that for now.
I guess that sounds good enough, lol.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Does he really do this on every character board? I've only seen him on, like, a couple of them. Then again, I don't go to the character boards that much with the exception of Ike and Marth.

I guess that sounds good enough, lol.
He did it on any board that discussed G&W, he claimed Yoshi vs G&W was 75-25 in G&W's favor. He also states DK vs G&W is easily in G&W's favor... Heck even Hylian was telling him to cool it during the Yoshi vs G&W discussion. He also intervened with PT vs Ike and many other people vs Ike. I've seen some Mario vs someone and blah its a long list.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Yeah, I've seen him on the PT and Ness boards, talking nonsense and not knowing how moves work. (Like trying to prove something while thinking PKT2 was an aerial -_-).

... I think we've gone astray big time in this topic, lol.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
"I tell you one thing about Ike", at least I can't accuse of you lying about that part. Would you get another ****ing gimmick already? Every time anyone even so much as mentions ike you bring up that nair isnt safe on block. We ****ing know that, **** isnt new, did your ike play like stop in may or something? Shut the hell up already.
Ryko. We are going to make out. Now.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I actually like Ike a lot, but I think he sucks a lot in Brawl. The Brawl shield hurts him so much, it's ridiculous. As I've stated, he is extremely unsafe on block on 90% of his moveset (get shieldgrabbed by DDD, Link, Ollimar, and ROB like 99% of the time you do an attack, get Up-smashed or Up-Bed out of shield by many other characters and dumb stuff like that), and I wouldn't be surprised he goes lower in the future.

I honestly think Ike is extremely shallow for a Brawl character (the most shallow character in the game....if you ask me, even after gimmicky discoveries like his DACIT), and I personally don't see why you would ever use Ike except for the sake of him being 1000x cooler than Marth. There just isn't much to using him (there is a big reason why he's called the number 1 n00b character), and he isn't good.

And if you don't think I get really hard and pessimistic on the characters I do actually main, you don't know me at all.

Nair is safe on block to those whose grab range is less than a spaced nair.
There are a number of characters that can run up, and Up-B or Up-smash out of shield before you hit the ground, or if you have an attack that comes out in like 3-4 frames or less that has enough range like Snake's Jab, you can drop shield and punish reliably. Ike's F-air by far is a better spacing tool on shields since nothing that outranges it is fast enough to punish it out of shield (unless of course the opponent powershields really well).

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I think A2 sucks a lot in brawl. The common sense it takes to play this game hurts him so much, it's ridiculous.

edit: you are a bigger idiot than I thought, Jab is like the furthest move from being safe on block that Ike has.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
There are a number of characters that can run up, and Up-B or Up-smash out of shield before you hit the ground, or if you have an attack that comes out in like 3-4 frames or less that has enough range like Snake's Jab, you can drop shield and punish reliably. Ike's F-air by far is a better spacing tool on shields since nothing that outranges it is fast enough to punish it out of shield (unless of course the opponent powershields really well).
thats why you FF the nair... and 2ndly i am not comparing fair and nair i'm just stating nair can be safe on block against some short grab ranged characters.

And DDD doesn't shield grab Ike's fair. and WTF?? ROB Doesn't have uber grab range.

D

Deleted member

oh one last question - this one is probably the most important

i like white costumes - for example white metaknight looks kinda like a holy warrior - he looks like he's fighting the good fight. what costume to you is the most "regal" looking costume for ike - the one that you think makes him look like he's really going out and fighting for hte right side?
if you're fighting to look pretty, this isn't the character for you. ike performs best when looking the ugliest.

edit: silven has a point. this thread sucks. forum rules are being enforced from this point forward.

next person to post something stupid, even if it isn't breaking a forum rule, is getting infracted. bad/old information makes me mad.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Well since we're back on topic there are few tricks to recovering with Ike that haven't been mentioned. If aether hit's someone Ike can grab the ledge from further away for some reason.

You should also learn when to reverse aether as it can guard you from certain edge guard attempts and actually kill some characters because in these cases people usually use there second jump to position them selfs and spiking them will screw them over. Aether dragging is a nice benefit to this too. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208407

Last thing would be getting stuck with aether under lips. This helps to avoid moves that don't hit under the stage because well your under the stage and you can later move back out side of the lip and grab the edge. Best example would be Ike's dtilt if you do this you won't get spiked.

Top Bottom