• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

StarFox 64 3D

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I searched and I didn't see a thread so I thought I would start one. StarFox 64 3D comes out on Friday! Who all is hyped up for it?!

I haven't played the 64 version in forever, and I'm excited to play it in full 3D. I looked at all the trailer videos in the 3DS store and it looks quite amazing... Normally I'm not a big fan of remakes (I'd prefer that developers make new games, but then again who wouldn't?) but this one really has my eye. I just got my 3DS on Tuesday so it'll be my first game for it and all...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've been lurking and posting on the Gfaqs boards to this game. Surprised there isn't much activity. Makes me wonder if StarFox has a big fan base or just a cult like thing.

In any case, the graphics and 3D look amazing. Granted, I don't know how the 3D will play out like, but I envision it to be great. Though if you're not one to care about replaying the game, beating your score, etc. etc...game is gonna get stale fast.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
So, so so so stoked. I wish I wasn't broke right now, otherwise I'd buy it on release date :(

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I've been lurking and posting on the Gfaqs boards to this game. Surprised there isn't much activity. Makes me wonder if StarFox has a big fan base or just a cult like thing.

In any case, the graphics and 3D look amazing. Granted, I don't know how the 3D will play out like, but I envision it to be great. Though if you're not one to care about replaying the game, beating your score, etc. etc...game is gonna get stale fast.
I think that it has a decent fanbase, but certainly not as large as several of Nintendo's games. The long time fans are dedicated though.

Whoa, I had no clue this was coming out so soon. Yessss. Games.
Yep, Friday can't get here soon enough :D

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
OMG I AM EXCITED, MAN.

I cannot wait for this, I love SF64, I still play it from time to time, and this is going to attract my interest for at least a few months lol

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Aren't video games usually released on a Tuesday?
Usually, that's why I went to the store yesterday looking for it.

Doesn't help that I "dyslexia-ed" the 9 into a 6.

(Not really dyslexic)

Anyway, I never actually owned starfox 64. I played it at a friends house all the time. I'll be glad to own it for myself for the first time

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Haha, I'm definetly getting this, after playing the Star Fox 64 demo, it made me like Star Fox alot, hmm..

:phone:

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Just one more day :D

One thing I would have liked for them to have done differently about this game is make the multiplayer online. I really REALLY enjoyed StarFox Command's wifi (when I was actually in a game and nobody disconnected and ruined it) and I would have liked to have seen some polished up multiplayer. It was frustrating having people drop and ruin good games... Of course people really get StarFox for the single player (and that's whats amazing about it) but it would have been cool to have seen the multiplayer more developed. Still though I'm psyched to see the game making a comeback with full 3D. It's going to be amazing!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think on reason they didn't go online is because of the whole "Using the camera to see the other person" thing. Since kids, and potentially pedophiles, could be using the system.

However, why add that feature in the first place?

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
I didn't expect online because it's a remake of SF64. If they make a brand new Star Fox game, it probably will have those features.

Anyway, I'm definitely picking it up tomorrow.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I think on reason they didn't go online is because of the whole "Using the camera to see the other person" thing. Since kids, and potentially pedophiles, could be using the system.

However, why add that feature in the first place?
I think the feature is lame because you can see your friends right next to you anyway. And I agree, but they could have just made it not show faces online? That's a pretty easy fix. I don't see the point for it to do that anywhere though and they could have done a lot of other things.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I think Nintendo screwed up some with not including wifi multiplayer. I mean, Nintendo has been saying that for the Wii U and 3DS, they will do online better, and this game was just screaming online play. I love these plane shooters as much as the next guy, but I'm not gonna go and try to beat my score over and over again. The multiplayer would definitely have sold me.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
On Gamefaqs, the game is really getting some hate. It's not the same people too. A lot of people finding the wifi to be a deal breaker.

Gamespot gave the game a 7.5 opposed to IGN's 9.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
People actually care about Gamespot's reviews? When I get a 3DS, I plan on picking this game up.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I didn't really like Gamespot's review. I don't go on their site at all, but the link was given to me. Most of my review knowledge comes from IGN and sometimes Game Trailers.

However, IGN's review was so much blind fanboyism it nearly made me vomit. There's no way this game gets a 9. While they are two different genres, you're saying StarFox is as good as OoT. Hell no.

If I had a chance to be a reviewer on one of these sites, I'd probably get them a lot of hits due to my constant average to low scores LOL. The Video Game Reviewing industry needs a guy like that.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Star Wolf kind of beat me, time and again in the last battle. Can't kill them

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
On Gamefaqs, the game is really getting some hate. It's not the same people too. A lot of people finding the wifi to be a deal breaker.

Gamespot gave the game a 7.5 opposed to IGN's 9.
I know better online would have been nice, but it's not like StarFox has ever been a huge multiplayer title. I did my first playthrough in the 3DS mode yesterday as well as starting my second, and I have to say the games great! I want to get gold medals on everything after I unlock all the missions...

This being my first game for 3DS, the 3D completely blew me away... Things pop out, and it feels like another dimension. I would highly recommend the game to everyone. :awesome:

I always found beating them and taking care of the bomb hard on the original cartridge... It also took me about 3 tries yesterday. It seemed like I would get 3 of them with no problem, and then the 4th guy would be trouble.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No, the second battle on Venom.

I beat the first battle without a problem

Gatlin

You should try doing a barrel roll :troll::awesome:

Man, how I want this game so much. Want to see how great the graphics/3d updated from the N64 version other than looking at pictures.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I know better online would have been nice, but it's not like StarFox has ever been a huge multiplayer title. I did my first playthrough in the 3DS mode yesterday as well as starting my second, and I have to say the games great! I want to get gold medals on everything after I unlock all the missions...

This being my first game for 3DS, the 3D completely blew me away... Things pop out, and it feels like another dimension. I would highly recommend the game to everyone. :awesome:
You definitely picked the right game for your first 3D experience. StarFox arguably has the best when it comes to that on the system.

With that being said, you have to admit the StarFox series screams multiplayer in so many ways. Nintendo was just lazy and ignored the whole thing altogether.

And not everyone is trying to 100%...in fact, if you ask the average gamer if they try to get everything done in a game...I don't think many would raise their hands. I know I'm not one of those.

Gatlin

Well, only one of the versions of the battle take place on Venom, which is taking the hard route, aka "Venom 2". The other takes place on Bolse (the satellite) which is the easy route.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There are two versions of the battles on Venom, depending entirely on which route you take to get there. One is an awful lot harder than the other.
Since I went through Venom's defenses (The red path), I think I got the harder one of the two

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
You definitely picked the right game for your first 3D experience. StarFox arguably has the best when it comes to that on the system.

With that being said, you have to admit the StarFox series screams multiplayer in so many ways. Nintendo was just lazy and ignored the whole thing altogether.

And not everyone is trying to 100%...in fact, if you ask the average gamer if they try to get everything done in a game...I don't think many would raise their hands. I know I'm not one of those.
I agree that it screams multiplayer. I can't argue with that. Still though, StarFox is awesome as a single player game. Multiplayer would add tons of replay value, but it's still a good game. I'm really disappointed in Nintendo for not doing it, but for whatever reason they chose to ignore the fact that it would have really helped the value of the game in the eye of a gamer that doesn't go for 100%.

And yeah, a lot of people aren't completionists. I wasn't for the longest time (excluding some of the Kirby games I never 100% beat anything, but those aren't too hard unless you count Dreamland 3) but that's changed within the last year for me. I really enjoy collecting everything on games, and in part that's due to gamerscore on Xbox that developed that in me. I did, however get all 9 endings on StarFox Command, and I enjoyed doing that, so I might as well do it again on StarFox 64 3D. I mean why not? Plus it's not like there's many other games to play on the system right now. >_>

There are two versions of the battles on Venom, depending entirely on which route you take to get there. One is an awful lot harder than the other.
Ah, I think I bypassed that alltogether. Honestly, I hadn't played that out yet on the 64 cartridge or on the DS, so I wasn't familiar with that one. I actually haven't played StarFox 64 to the extent of some of the others. I never owned it on the 64, so I only beat it once on there...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
No online score.

Means you beat the game, get 15 medals in one of the two modes, everything is unlocked.

That's basically all there is too do. No online scores or unlockables kinda leave little desire to carry onward. Kinda lame, but meh. I love the game, I just wish it had more content to be honest.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Can I quit a game and retain the medal earned on a planet?

Also landmaster levels are annoying, any tips?

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Can I quit a game and retain the medal earned on a planet?

Also landmaster levels are annoying, any tips?
Yes you can quit out and start a new game after earning it. I think you do have to finish the level though after you have racked up enough hits to earn it.

No I am referring to the rainbow versions of the levels that you go into after going through all of a specific type of ring in level like the asteroid belt. IIRC it is some kind of hyperspace warp thingy.
I have no idea. I'll have to see if I can do that and check it out for you.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
No problem. Thanks for telling me about hyperspace. It's pretty awesome in full 3D! The color spectrum and feel of things popping out (especially the spiral towards the end) is polished and looks great on the 3DS.

That's got to be one of the coolest little secrets I've seen in a while...

Gatlin

S'cuse the bump, but I finally got a chance to play this game for the first time. First impression of the game was fantastic. I absolutely love the updated graphics, which are especially appreciated on Solar and Zoness, those were phenomenal to see. I felt those were the most improved out of all, but I still haven't gotten a chance to play on Sector X/Z, Katina, and Titania, so maybe that will change. I've only played the N64 version through twice (once through the easy route, once through the hard route), and I haven't yet gotten a chance to see anything new from the updated 3DS version of the game. The updates to the music I really, really like. The only one I am a little iffy on is Aquas, I feel I like the N64 version a bit more, but overall great improvements. The voice acting seems to have gotten a little work done to it, and I found it to be very noticeable on Corneria, but I don't think it was for the worse, just a little getting used to. I initially thought the controls would be a bit strange, but it is actually really nice and easy to get used to. I also feel the difficulty is a little easier, Star Wolf and several bosses seemed to be a bit easier to bring down, but I'm not sure on that. Overall though, really glad I got this game, and continues to show why it's my favorite title.

tl;dr: love it.

Top Bottom