• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft TWO thread

DJMirror

Smash Master
when you start hitting ~15-20 [on minerals] in your base, you should definitely consider expanding (if not sooner)
Ah Ok I see, I'll give this a try whenever I can (I don't own StarCraft 2, I just play it on PsychoMidget's account)

does the timing really work out for that build order? 13 factory/14 armory? if it's working for you, i think you need to make more scv and take a slower approach
Well I haven't try it yet, I just wrote it on paper. I need a plan to have things work because some things are hard to work with on imo for this game. I'm always building things that are not needed like Reapers's nitro pack, increasing storage space, etc.

ALWAYS get orbital command (something i'm always late on by like 2-3 mins), it makes a HUGE difference to your economy, and scans are something that are phenomenal to have
I keep forgetting this, everyone been telling me to get it! I'll try remember!

why are you even rushing to armory? some weird thor rush build? your gas should mostly be invested in tanks if you're rushing to factory like that, so i don't know if you should be trying to get upgrades that quickly (I also don't know if it's worth it to upgrade at the engineering bay if you're only building marines out of one barracks with a tech lab)
Oh well I thought I should try to add +1 or +2 to marines, tanks, and ships attack power. For the barrack's tech lab, I always try to go for the Stim Pack and Marauder's Concussion shells. For factory's tech lab, I'm trying for the Hellon's fire upgrade and Siege Tanks' Siege Mode. I rarely use Thor. For the Starport's tech lab, I'm just going for Bashee and Viking, I used to go for Battlecuiser but I keep getting ***** for it so I decided that I should go for those 2.

NyTeStRiDeR

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much throughout the entire game, worker production does not stop unless ur cutting workers to perform a timing push, trying to tech up quick, are already oversaturated without being able to expo, and among other things. Long macro games can end up with both players having 80+ workers

pretty basic build order for terran

10-depot
12-rax
13-gas
15-orbital

*dont really play terran but its a good standard opening to start out with
- when rax finishes u should be at 15 or 16 supply depending on if u make a marine as well
- scvs are being produced the entire time
- after this is where it starts to deviate into other builds (3rax, 1/1/1, etc....)
- u can make ur 2nd supply depot to finish your wall-in sooner to deny scouting

DJMirror

Smash Master
Pretty much throughout the entire game, worker production does not stop unless ur cutting workers to perform a timing push, trying to tech up quick, are already oversaturated without being able to expo, and among other things. Long macro games can end up with both players having 80+ workers

pretty basic build order for terran

10-depot
12-rax
13-gas
15-orbital

*dont really play terran but its a good standard opening to start out with
- when rax finishes u should be at 15 or 16 supply depending on if u make a marine as well
- scvs are being produced the entire time
- after this is where it starts to deviate into other builds (3rax, 1/1/1, etc....)
- u can make ur 2nd supply depot to finish your wall-in sooner to deny scouting
Ah thank you for the advice, I'm sure this will help!

Squidster

Smash Ace
I'm in norcal right now but when I get back I wanna start playing a lot more and finding people to play with. (sunday)

I need to find a zerg practice partner for zvz. It's a really hard matchup in general cause of how easily you can lose and i feel like getting a few games on the ladder every now and then isn't giving me enough practice to get comfortable with it at all.

Nashun I wanna play you more too. I'm clearly not at your level but i'll get there.

Lovage I haven't played you in 1v1 but i wanna play you as well.

Lovage

Smash Hero
ladder is really stressful so i'd love some practice partners if anyone wants to grind lots of games anytime soon

<-450ish diamond terran

esoh.434

Lovage

Smash Hero
and yeah

1. learn all the hotkeys, a good way to do this is when you're trying to build something you don't know the key for, scroll over it, and instead of clicking on it, use the key on your keyboard. never let yourself click any skill and you'll learn all teh hotkeys really quick

2. use control groups for everything important, the most basic form is having one group for your army, one group for your production facilities (barracks, factory, starport and then use tab to scroll thru them) and 1 for your bases (command center, nexus, hatchery.) this method is fine but you can run into a lot of problems with army control if you use only one group for all of your units, and you can run into problems with production because of how blizzard changed how you cant tab thru addons anymore.

3. have a decent plan. build order seriously isn't that important until gold/plat level so just have a general idea of what you want to do and execute it well. for terran i recommend 3 barracks openings, it's a really simple and effective strat at the low levels that can teach you a lot about unit production, army control and rallly points (constantly adding units to the front.)

4. oh yeah and thumbs down desert oasis if you play 1v1 ladder that map is a piece of ****

5. if you just started playing the game do NOT do your placement matches right away for ladder. it's really easy to get placed into gold/plat off the bat but really hard and tedious to grind from bronze to diamond. play customs or team games until you get decent game sense and then do your placements.

www.teamliquid.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/HDstarcraft
http://www.youtube.com/user/day9tv

NyTeStRiDeR

Smash Apprentice
5. if you just started playing the game do NOT do your placement matches right away for ladder. it's really easy to get placed into gold/plat off the bat but really hard and tedious to grind from bronze to diamond. play customs or team games until you get decent game sense and then do your placements.

]
not to mention that being below platinum means u will probably be cheesed like 80% of the time from what i have heard lol

Kira-

Smash Champion
never compromising

biching about ur race instead of getting better and outplaying the other person = u are a gay whiner faag.. 99% of the time

equivalent of mediocre falcon mains whining instead of improving
yup exactly, 99% of the time you are just bad and it has nothing to do with your race or character

it's really easy to get placed into gold/plat off the bat but really hard and tedious to grind from bronze to diamond.
yea this is ridiculous, I was reading up on how the matchmaking system works and I think you have to get to a point where you win 50% of your games before they change your level (by level I mean silver, gold, etc). I've heard of people jumping from bronze straight to platinum, and I also know you can go up in level after losing a game. but w/e i guess it doesnt really matter

are they gonna patch sc2 or just do the expansions?

Adam M!

Smash Lord
Or you simply think that Zerg is the most fun race. I bet a lot of low tier players feel the same way, because usually those who only use low tier characters in an attempt to gain recognition also purposely call a lot of attention to themselves about that fact (and usually they are not good)

Basically, those who don't act like douches to every top tier player just enjoy the game the most when they are using their favorite character. (sounds very obvious)

Also Day9 is awesome. (also obvious)
great post dave

never compromising

biching about ur race instead of getting better and outplaying the other person = u are a gay whiner faag.. 99% of the time

equivalent of mediocre falcon mains whining instead of improving
what do we make of your whining then? 100% ***?

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
are they gonna patch sc2 or just do the expansions?
I would imagine they are going to patch it. It's not like Blizzard to ignore problems brought up by the community in their games, just look at WC3 and WoW. When DKs were **** in 3.3(?) for arena, Blizzard was made aware of the problem and eventually gave them some buffs (even though they are still mostly ****)

blueb3rry

Smash Cadet
if we're using wow as a basis for judging blizzard's class balancing skills, i'd say we've got four or five months before they change anything at all

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
IGN: NastyNate Character Code: 922
Or you could facebook friend me

Diamond random player in 1s, 2s, and 3s. Want good practice. Add me if your down

@Nashun- I remember u being beast in beta. Lets play some iccup maps or something

yup exactly, 99% of the time you are just bad and it has nothing to do with your race or character

yea this is ridiculous, I was reading up on how the matchmaking system works and I think you have to get to a point where you win 50% of your games before they change your level (by level I mean silver, gold, etc). I've heard of people jumping from bronze straight to platinum, and I also know you can go up in level after losing a game. but w/e i guess it doesnt really matter
I think the way it works is that the game keeps track of your win% on people in higher leagues than you, and if your over 50% after a certain number of games (its not stated anywhere in-game) you get bumped up a league. Points only help in your league rank

pockyD

Smash Legend
question

if i hotkey multiple buildings to the same hotkey, is there an easy way to cycle through them and center the screen on it?

for example, if i double tap the key, i get centered at one specific one (I'm not sure which based on the system); if i single tap, then i can tab through and change which is selected, but i can't center the screen

i'm sure there's one button that does it; someone fill me in!

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
Its great to see other smashers loving both Starcraft and smash.
Mine is Hero.247
About to become silver rank.
Hit me up if you wanna play. particularly if you are silver or higher. Playing better people is always funner XD

question

if i hotkey multiple buildings to the same hotkey, is there an easy way to cycle through them and center the screen on it?

for example, if i double tap the key, i get centered at one specific one (I'm not sure which based on the system); if i single tap, then i can tab through and change which is selected, but i can't center the screen

i'm sure there's one button that does it; someone fill me in!
try the tab button?

Naota21t

Smash Champion
so how do i center the screen around the currently selected building?
you know how the selected units show up at the bottom of the screen? try double clicking on the one that u want from there.

i'm not on my comp that has SC2 so I'm not 100% sure on that.

pockyD

Smash Legend
yeah but i'm looking for a keyboard hotkey

if i wanted to click twice, i'd just click the right spot on the minimap and just end up clicking once!

also with buildings, they look the same in the unit group so i wouldn't know which to click on anyway

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
I haven't tried in SC2, but in war3, you can make a control group for it and hit the control group button twice (you said that), or you can click the portrait next to the minimap. I'm not really sure why you would ever want to center your screen around a production building though. I don't think blizz thinks that's an important enough function to warrant a hotkey.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
I hear theres a trick where backspace centers on your nearest "base" (hatch, nexus, CC), so you can select your queen, then backspace v backspace v backspace v to spawn larvae everywhere.

I might be wrong with the details but its something like that

Regardless your main should be hotkeyd somewhere anyways so a quick double tap should get your queen on screen for spawning purposes.

pockyD

Smash Legend
well i hotkey all hatches together on one key, then currently i do all queens separately, so i double tap each queen key (better than having hatches separate, then having to select the queen, plus it's easier to select all of my larva at once)

it'd be nicer if i could have all the queens together too though

(and as if it really matters; in this scenario, i'm zerg, so i'm going to lose anyway!)

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
(and as if it really matters; in this scenario, i'm zerg, so i'm going to lose anyway!)
pffft, in RTS games, there's so much room for improvement, only the very best should whine about imbalance making them lose games.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
I think he's addressing those who john about it as an excuse for losing akin to a person who willingly chooses a low tier player in smash and complains about losing to a high tier player

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Q. I (or my team) obviously belong in another league. Why haven't I been moved?

A. In order to place teams as fairly as possible, the placement system does not move teams until it is sure how high or how low they will land. This may result in unusually high or low-performing teams waiting several games until they are moved.
I'm up to 15 or so games at #1 gold and haven't been moved up yet -_-

pockyD

Smash Legend
I think he's addressing those who john about it as an excuse for losing akin to a person who willingly chooses a low tier player in smash and complains about losing to a high tier player

it's different when you're trying to balance 3 choices as opposed to balancing 27

and especially when you're following in the footsteps of the greatest game ever

Squidster

Smash Ace
well i hotkey all hatches together on one key, then currently i do all queens separately, so i double tap each queen key (better than having hatches separate, then having to select the queen, plus it's easier to select all of my larva at once)

it'd be nicer if i could have all the queens together too though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4MDb_hzuyo&p=B5CEE9D0844128FA&playnext=1&index=13

Theres one way.

What I do however is hotkey all hatch to 5 all queens to 6 then i do inject larvae by clicking on the minimaps. Was weird to get used to but it means you can do all your injections without moving the screen. You eventually get a feel for the timing but you can always check by either clicking the hatch hotkey and selecting one to see the progress bar, or just checking your hatch by cliking on the minimap.

MacD

Banned via Administration
I'm up to 15 or so games at #1 gold and haven't been moved up yet -_-
kira was in bronze, and won like 30 games and still didn't move up, he was beating gold and platinum people and he finally jumped up into platinum, so you just gotta keep winning lol

kira was playing on cameron's account, he doesn't have one of his own yet

Kira-

Smash Champion
Just winning doesn't actually bump you up. I was reading up on how the system works, and it doesn't place you anywhere until it is reasonably sure you will have a 50% win rate in that placing. Most likely you'll win a lot, then they'll put you up against higher diamond players and then you'll lose a lot, and then once your wins and losses even out a bit you'll get moved. You can actually get bumped up after you lose a game.

Also rank and rating within your division has nothing to do with placement, it's just a way to show generally where you are in the world without having to show a million people on one screen.

On a side note, man I am terrible at this game LOL

Top Bottom