• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft Discussion

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I don't know what vilegaming is

Anyways, coming up with "strategy" and attempting to improve in fastest maps is like working hard on improving your game with items on hyrule

Any smasher SHOULD be able to beat randoms simply by applying more standard strategies, and there is no context where such a thing would happen competitively, so there's no reason to assume people are on equal footing with you if you've already moved past the basics of the game
If you don't know what vilegaming is or don't know anything about the fastest competitive scene then don't trash it. I would never say fastest is as hard or takes as much skill as low money, but fastest pros are good.

By saying they could be B-B+ I mean their macro/micro could be as good as a B-B+ player on regular maps. I know it's hard to compare, nearly impossible, but I think that's an accurate analysis.

EDIT: Comparing smash to SC is not a legitiment argument. The games are too far apart.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If these top fastest players play exclusively fastest, then how the hell would they have the skillsets needed to compete with top foreign players on regular maps?
Top fastest? They keep track of such things? In most Starcraft community, fastest play is looked down upon from what I've seen.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well it is, I just don't want ignorance to play a role in this put down. If you're going to put down fastest, have the facts straight or come back some other time.

PrepareYourself

Smash Ace
I think we should drop this all and just play Use Map Settings.

But what other maps are there to play on? Luna Final or something like that?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lots. Luna is old. New school maps are like destination, chuppie, tears of the moon(lol), neo requiem (old school, but being played), medusa.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
awww, i wanted to discuss fastest, w/e ill just say thrs more to it than one would think.

the newer maps being played on are all weird, thrs random creep, permanant swarms, one way passages to get to u ropponent by ground, the ppl making the maps are making it so the player has to think a lot more about ow he or she plays.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
If you don't know what vilegaming is or don't know anything about the fastest competitive scene then don't trash it. I would never say fastest is as hard or takes as much skill as low money, but fastest pros are good.

By saying they could be B-B+ I mean their macro/micro could be as good as a B-B+ player on regular maps. I know it's hard to compare, nearly impossible, but I think that's an accurate analysis.

EDIT: Comparing smash to SC is not a legitiment argument. The games are too far apart.
Well it is, I just don't want ignorance to play a role in this put down. If you're going to put down fastest, have the facts straight or come back some other time.
What kind of "facts" are you expecting? What kind of "facts" are you basing your arguments on? I mean, your claim is that they "could" be as good as top foreigners on regular maps.

Seriously you're just saying stuff about fastest players then telling us we're ignorant.

Inform us, then.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Just watch replays of professional fastest players. It's not that hard. Inform you about what? It's a fact that fastest has it's own builds, strategies, unit combinations, attack patterns. It's a fact that it requires macro and micro, and it's a fact that it still maintains the same unit HP and attack powers.

All your argument is that fastest doesn't require much skill, or at least that was PockyD's statement. Explain to me why you think this. In this type of disagreement that's your job, not mine. The second you start giving reasons, I will respond with legitimacy, but from this point I can just say fastest has skillful factors, and you can't disagree without some sort of logical argument or else you'll sound like a third grader.

EDIT: UnknownPresence this is your chance to talk about fastest lol.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Just watch replays of professional fastest players. It's not that hard. Inform you about what? It's a fact that fastest has it's own builds, strategies, unit combinations, attack patterns. It's a fact that it requires macro and micro, and it's a fact that it still maintains the same unit HP and attack powers.

All your argument is that fastest doesn't require much skill, or at least that was PockyD's statement. Explain to me why you think this. In this type of disagreement that's your job, not mine. The second you start giving reasons, I will respond with legitimacy, but from this point I can just say fastest has skillful factors, and you can't disagree without some sort of logical argument or else you'll sound like a third grader.

No lol I didn't say fastest didn't require skill. OF COURSE it would have its own builds and strategies.

YOU made the claim that fastest players are as basically as good as top foreigners at the aspects of regular SC. That's what I'm interested in.

How is it MY responsibility to be the one to supply facts and evidence when I just want to hear you back up this claim? I am just skeptical that the depth of fastest is COMPARABLE to regular SC, not that it doesn't exist.

It really isn't support to say that "Fastest still has a lot of the elements of regular starcraft! look!"

and why don't you link me to some replays of the best fastest players while you're at it (or tell me where to find them). You're the knowledgeable one here.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Go on Battle.net and tell them that fastest players are just as good as them.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Lol I'm sure the best fastest players are wayyy better than random bnet players.
Probably, I'm just saying they might know more.

Whether or not they are extraordinarily good, they at least know about the stuff.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Might know more about what? Low money? Fastest pros know more about fastest duh lol. I will come up with a good response later today to answer questions. I just woke up and I saw that post so I had to respond.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman

Fastest players that don't do "mass carrier instant win"? I need to see this. Videos?

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
fastest is soo gay LOL
i can barely do anything LOL
i keep choking for some reason.
like i need a fast build for terran XD.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
fastest for terran is more like (this is pretty much generic for every match-up) get your barracks up at like 7-8 supply depot, refinery another barracks in the midst of all that, then an academy, more barracks stim, range, medics, maybe float a rax to your opponents base and build a FB or two to kill workers, then some factories, add ons, siege. This is all done in like 6-7 minutes though, so you have to be fast.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
idk how far into the argument weve gotten, but I can tell you fast map games have its own strats which alpha said. Fastest maps also tend to put more empahsis on micro then macro because expanding isnt needed, however the build order itself is very important. I 4 pool will beat some1 who is trying to lurk tech and destroy miners.

I havent really read any comments saying that fast doesnt require skill, so lol, and also I read a comment saying that slow takes more skil than fast. They require the same amount of skill, to me the main difference is the speed of the game hence the name FAST MAPS!!!!!!!

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
They require the same amount of skill
I don't know anything about fastest, so I may be speaking out of place here, but conceptually, this doesn't make sense. Fastest seemed to be about minimizing the economic aspects of the game, which you know, makes it require strictly less skill since it doesn't seem to add anything to replace the missing element of managing your economy. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You're wrong and right at the same time. A protoss with 3 nexus will most likely beat a protoss with 1 or 2 nexus assuming this is late game, however protecting your eco is slightly easier, since there is only 1 location. With that said, if you do get dropped on, you're screwed, so it kind of balances out. 1 reaver shot can kill you, 1 storm can kill you, one fb can kill you, 1 lurker can kill you, 1 tank can kill you, etc etc.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
what aplha said, plus bc of the easier economic status, micro is stressed a lot more. Because fast maps allow one to have iloveoov macro but if you dont have his micro which few ppl do, then its worthless. If you build 100 supplies of crackling thats great but if u can only attack with waves at a time then a decent defense will destory it with minimum effort.

Alpha the build order is different, although most pro fast map plyrs i know recommend have that kind of a build, i think it only neccesary at certain times, bc if u get spotted early thats trouble on a fast map. And 1v1 u have a 1 in 7 chance of finding ur opponent depending on which units u scout with.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i dunno, back when i played mucho money maps (like in 2001), i would be able to suicide my entire army and rebuild it in under a minute, so i didn't really care about losing any units

then again, far more often than not, as i "suicided" my army, instead it survived and killed them because everyone was such a bad player at that level

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
kk so i play a bit of sc LOL
im so noob at this game.
my record is like 140 - 60..
=( my lose is catching up cause i havent played for like months and im getting back at it. (johns johns johns)
anyone seen a player name Stos or iStos in the east region XD

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
^LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
then thats me LOL i play terran LOL
yeah im always at US East

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Bitter as in hating protoss with a deep passion. Seriously, DT's piss me off to no end. They make me feel like a total noob, because they are easy to handle, but sometimes you forget about them as a unit entirely and **** up.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Bitter as in hating protoss with a deep passion. Seriously, DT's piss me off to no end. They make me feel like a total noob, because they are easy to handle, but sometimes you forget about them as a unit entirely and **** up.
LOL DTS ARE GAY.
kk so when i first started playing i was with broodwar.
and then i dont know where brood went and start playing original and im stuck =((
seriousuly i just get ***** but sometimes i ****.
like 10 mins into the game all i see is like a mass of goons ****** my army or hyralisk =((

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Original? Original doesn't have medics right? Just get lots of tanks then, and rines. Tanks pretty much **** hydras and goons, but since you play fastest I can understand you getting *****, because it's hard to move out with tanks in fastest.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Original? Original doesn't have medics right? Just get lots of tanks then, and rines. Tanks pretty much **** hydras and goons, but since you play fastest I can understand you getting *****, because it's hard to move out with tanks in fastest.
yeah im actually gonna try to find my brood war and play with you or someone here.
im tired of fastest lol.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Regardless of my icon, I usually play Terran.

I'm not especially good at Zerg, though they have my favorite characters.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Really? Zerg's characters are so like... Not cool :p. Terran has all the good ****. Vultures give you sass, marines are just plain badass, goliaths are ****ing robots, tanks are loyal beats, BC's have a sweet acccent, medics are whores. How much cooler can you get?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The overmind's icon thing just looks awesome

Top Bottom