• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft Discussion

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know, I get that bit about latency. But I'm just rather intrigued as to HOW it does it. I mean, there's nothing you can do in software to increase your ping. That is determined by hardware restraints between you and the host. No program can help it.

The website for Chaos Launcher wasn't very helpful, but the best I can imagine is that it changes the hosting style to asynchronous (like Halo) so that you don't experience latency, but rather inaccuracy.

pockyD

Smash Legend
it's a tradeoff of "latency" vs. choppiness

for example, I'm sure anyone who's ever played sc online has experienced "XXX has set the Network to Extra High Latency" or something like that... chaoslauncher basically creates a setting like "super-duper-low-latency" with the understanding that you'll be playing with people that have good connections, so you will be able to overcome what choppiness normally appears from playing randoms on bnet that have hamster-powered modems

just to clarify, "latency" refers to input lag

SloT

Smash Journeyman
sure, but that seems like a lot of effort and unnecessary flailing about when you could simply go on iccup, make a "pub" game, and get some pretty good competition right off the bat
Not true... ICCup is full of all in cheese rushers.. i got to C+, and still people were doing it.. i dont like ICCuping much anymore, it's getting really boring due to the fact that i get like 10 All in cheese rushing newbs and then 1 game where i actually get to play... and its not that i have a hard time dealing with cheese rushes, its just a waste of time.. if i win, its still a bad game.. but when i play Pubs who are in higher end korean teams on west on Chaos Launcher, a lot of they time they just want to play the game out since its not really competetive its just mostly for fun.. and thats why i play vs those guys.. and you learn more and get better too especially if you ask someone gosu, like lette_gm, how you did and what you could improve on... i jsut think its more interesting that way :p

pockyD

Smash Legend
so are you the type of person that plays "no rush 20 mins" or something?

i haven't actually played that much iccup but i haven't gotten cheesed yet

and whatever, personally i don't like playing randoms at all

SloT

Smash Journeyman
ROFL? no
what im sick of is the fact i get 4pooled by zergs in ZvZ, Proxi 2gate all in probe + 2 zeal rushed by protoss, and all in SCV + Marine pushed by Terrans. I dont mind getting rushed though, but when it happens every freaking game then it gets really freaking ******** to the point where its just like this isnt fun anymore..
and i DO play ICCup, but i prefer getting games with Korean gamers on Lat Changer. They are better manner and the games are actually fun.. if i get rushed by a gosu korean gamer, i dont mind. When i get rushed by every single game i play, it gets really ******** oh and btw i dont play pubs.. The people who play Chaos in public rooms are usually very good at the game and are not to be considered normal chobos :p

Alphicans

Smash Hero
zergy! i am jacked up and good to go, just so ya know. I am active again, and I am coming for you!

Add me, I am Omega_Alphicans, and just so ya know i am gonna beat you with mechs ;).

EDIT: Yeah I hear ya zerg. Iccup is infested with cheesers, it's all about getting a good rank so they just go for easy wins. also are you part of 7fam now zerg? if you are then I have 0 respect cause thats so cliche =D.

pockyD

Smash Legend
ROFL? no
what im sick of is the fact i get 4pooled by zergs in ZvZ, Proxi 2gate all in probe + 2 zeal rushed by protoss, and all in SCV + Marine pushed by Terrans. I dont mind getting rushed though, but when it happens every freaking game then it gets really freaking ******** to the point where its just like this isnt fun anymore..
and i DO play ICCup, but i prefer getting games with Korean gamers on Lat Changer. They are better manner and the games are actually fun.. if i get rushed by a gosu korean gamer, i dont mind. When i get rushed by every single game i play, it gets really ******** oh and btw i dont play pubs.. The people who play Chaos in public rooms are usually very good at the game and are not to be considered normal chobos :p
you're free to do whatever you want; i'm merely explaining the reasons why i don't LIKE to play on battle.net (and why consequently you won't see me there unless i'm logging on to play a specific person from irc or something), not why battle.net is bad

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Okay, I get what Chaos Launcher does now, after doing some googling.

I was so intrigued! It didn't make sense to me how a program could reduce latency. The deal was that starcraft already artificially raises it, so it can be lowered back down.

Funny how Starcraft's network model operates. It's rather... behind the times.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Do all B.Net games operate using the same scheme as Starcraft? I wouldn't be surprised. I bet that's one of the "big changes" that's going to happen to Battlenet for SC2.

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
Meh, I don't see THAT much cheese in iCCup. Sure there is a game here and there, but no way every game, maybe one out of 5-6 and even then. It's not that bad. It's part of the game. Sure I only play around C- level but I always thought that the most cheese was around D level since when people start out and wanna win fast rank at lowers levels they jsut cheese there way to their normal rank.

Anyway, I might have time soon to play some SC again. I might try that hub thingy, but I'm not sure how this work, I'll have to check it.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
To anyone who wants to improve macro immensely I am going to suggest this exercise. You can find it on Teamliquid, and pretty much u go single player vs comps, and try to keep your apm above 300 and resources below 300. I did it for a couple of days, and my apm shot from 150 to 200, and my macro is probably twice as good. Read about it on Teamliquid for more info.

pockyD

Smash Legend
yeah... blow my mind with how poorly lomo played after gaining the early edge games 1 and 3 -_-

though jaedong's multitask ability in game 3 was simply out of this world (of course, it shouldn't have gotten that far)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Although Lomo was sloppy, it was still amazing to see Jaedong win it. Like holy shi- Jaedong is a ****ing beast! He is definitely best player in the world, I think he can take Flash on easy. His macro is godlike, after the huge successful rush lomo did first game, did you see jaedongs face? He was like meh w/e, speedlings coming and they gonna **** you *****. And it happened! Lomo needed bunker, but who expects a huge *** counter attack like that? I think Lomo played very good considering he's playing Jaedong. Jaedong is pretty much unstoppable i am not even kidding, after game 3 I have hopped upon the Jaedong bandwagon that **** was too much.

pockyD

Smash Legend
lomo didn't even need a bunker game 1, he could've just finished his wall-in with a depot to avoid the zergling surround O_o

pockyD

Smash Legend
what?

the lings would have to go single file between the depots (assuming they were horizontal; I'm at work so I can't rewatch the game, but I assume they were horizontal - if they were vertical, lings can't pass at all), and 6 marines standing around that gap would easily stop a stream of zerglings (not to mention you can block with SCV if you really want to)

I'm not saying a bunker wouldn't have worked (it would have), but that would be 100 extra minerals (which obviously he was trying to skimp on), whereas he could have easily just built his 2nd depot there at no true extra cost (scv travel time? please)

I don't know how my judgement is "off"; do you not think he came out ahead from his game 1 rush, and halfway through his game 3 rush? (before he decided to pop overlords and then line dance marines to get wrecked by zerglings)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I have my doubts that he was ahead, that was alot of scv's pulled, he may have been ahead by a little bit, but I think Jaedong knew it wasn't my much, which is why he countered. The reason Lomo lost is beacause he thought he did more dmg then he did.

SloT

Smash Journeyman
=[ actually i dont really play SC too much anymore... right now i've been really really busy because i'm moving and most of my time is being taken up by that AND i have a new (well i played it years ago but couldnt afford it..) game, FFXI which is an MMORPG that is 100x better then WoW. WoW players disrespect Final Fantasy need to burn in a fire ><; (yes Take offense you dang WoW players T.T)
and yes i'm in 7Fam because remember the guy who taught me how to play made it xD

Meh, I don't see THAT much cheese in iCCup. Sure there is a game here and there, but no way every game, maybe one out of 5-6 and even then. It's not that bad. It's part of the game. Sure I only play around C- level but I always thought that the most cheese was around D level since when people start out and wanna win fast rank at lowers levels they jsut cheese there way to their normal rank.
You are the luckiest person in the world and i wish i were you T.T;;

pockyD

Smash Legend
I've never gotten cheesed, and the other people I've talked to on iccup (2 people lol) say they don't get cheesed a disproportionate amount either

you probably just got caught up at the start of the season when all the high-rankers were rushing past the low levels asap

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yeah well, what if he likes tornado pushes? And what if this is a TvZ, and he likes doing SK Terran, and what if his problem is wraith rushes, and what if his problem is Muta harass???/ HMMMMM :p.

pockyD

Smash Legend
it was a joke; more tanks isn't usually the answer, as even the most basic terran loooooves tanks

in general, if you can't identify what you're having problems with, your basic mechanics (macro/micro) are probably lacking

scouting too

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
^ mhm i think my macro and scouting is the problem.

Sometimes I dont really know what to mass.

I mean like i know in the beginning I mass rines and bats but then after a while i move on to Tanks and

goliaths. Also I think im lacking air units.

But really i get punished by dragoons with zealots and sometimes recall.

pockyD

Smash Legend
if you're playing vs protoss, more often than not, you're going to want to jump to factory units as fast as possible

that means making minimal amounts of marines, and probably no firebats // medics

the bulk of your army should be tanks and vultures; more tanks if they have more dragoons, and more vultures if they have more zealots

get a lot of goliaths if they get carriers, and get just a few if they get arbiters

the answer for arbiters is usually science vessels with EMP (or ghosts w/ lockdown if you're boxer ;) ), but I doubt you have the awareness/multi-tasking to keep up with all their arbiter locations (i sure don't), so if you really want to play it safe, keep a few tanks in your base, and sprinkle turrets around the very edge (more as spotters than as actual defense; it's unrealistic // a waste of money to actually prevent arbiter entry completely)

vultures are the best unit in the game :(

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Ok i now understand your problem. You're playing the game wrong :p. I can't just tell you over smashboards, you'd have to come on USwest and find me (X-Alphicans) find me at op x-1. I can show you replays, build orders, tips, strategies, hotkeys, unit placement, and more! If you're interested you know where to find me.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Oh come on guys, keep the SC discussion going. This dry streak has gone on for too long.

Here I will start it off. Who will win the averatec intel classic? Jaedong or Flash!?!?! It's gonna be epic. Every one better watch it.

SloT

Smash Journeyman
FlaSh better win, even though i'm a Zerg player i'm a flash-fanboy because he killed all the Protoss players high up in Kespa >=]

Alphicans

Smash Hero
when you watch it don't tell me who wins. I wanna watch it myself, and I am waiting for ace to get back from his vacation.

pockyD

Smash Legend
that was a pretty brutal set -_-

i like watching them live, because knowing the game count gives away a good portion of the results -_-

HAXage

Smash Rookie
aha... found the SC players on smashboards!

hey, what's everyone's favorite map? (i assume we're talking low money here) i need to know that people play stuff other than Python. hate that map.

mine's Blitz X

Top Bottom