• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft Discussion

HellToupee

Smash Rookie
I used to be a pretty solid Protoss player. I've wanted to play recently but I'm having resolution issues...for some reason the screen is shifted to the right and I can only see about 1/3 of the minimap.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
So, I picked up Starcraft a couple weeks ago. Got a friend to let me use his copy of the game, so I can't get on b.net, but I need more practice before I can do that anyway.

When I started playing against computers, my APM was 45-50, and I had like a 3-4 W/L record. I kept losing to rushes (because I'd use BOs I'd studied from TL.net or GosuGamers or something, which focus on initial tech and don't defend well when the zerg computer goes for a 4pool).

For about a week and a half, I just didn't play, only watching vods, replays, and especially fpvods. For some reason I can't get enough of those things. Anyway, the other day I started playing again, and found that somehow, my APM shot up to 90 and I destroyed the zerg comp completely. I haven't tried playing the toss comp or terran comp again yet, though.

Anyway, I play Terran. I originally wanted to do toss but after discovering that terran is much better-suited to turtling until you build up enough forces to push out and crush the enemy (which is essentially my style), I switched.

But yeah, I'm just learning. Until I can get on b.net, I won't be playing too much (playing comps is getting boring), but I certainly continue to watch what I can. I get up at 4:45 AM every Sunday to watch the Averatec-Intel Classic already, and once summer comes, I'll be able to alter my sleep schedule enough to watch the proleague games at 1 AM as well.

D Athier

Smash Rookie
So, uh, my copy broke a few years back. Only just managed to find a torrent with the ISO. But that means no BNet for me. ;_;

I'm normally a Terran player, but I also do Zerg from time to time. Just wish I could test my skills against other people online.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Rawr!

Sorry Cynan and Mat, that we haven't played any more games. :(

I've been playing SC fairly regularly these past few weeks. I'm a noob (I think I could manage D+ on iCCup, no real idea though) with Hamachi so if anyone wants to get some games in I'd love to.

Right now my schedule is going through a bit of a change but generally I have unrestricted access to this computer after 2000 EST (That's 8:00 PM). I like to sleep by 2200 but I can go later (albeit only on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday nights).

So yeah, if there are any other noobs (my apm is 77 last I learned) and wanna have some good XvZ games, I'm all for it.

(I use Hamachi v1.0.2.4, because the latest version v1.0.2.5 doesn't work for XP. I can give it to you via MSN if you want, or you can look for it yourself)

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
Sorry Cynan and Mat, that we haven't played any more games. :(

I've been playing SC fairly regularly these past few weeks. I'm a noob (I think I could manage D+ on iCCup, no real idea though) with Hamachi so if anyone wants to get some games in I'd love to.

Right now my schedule is going through a bit of a change but generally I have unrestricted access to this computer after 2000 EST (That's 8:00 PM). I like to sleep by 2200 but I can go later (albeit only on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday nights).

So yeah, if there are any other noobs (my apm is 77 last I learned) and wanna have some good XvZ games, I'm all for it.

(I use Hamachi v1.0.2.4, because the latest version v1.0.2.5 doesn't work for XP. I can give it to you via MSN if you want, or you can look for it yourself)
Heh, no probs :p

I've played quite some SC recently also, and a few iCCup. Made it to C- 1v1 and D+ 2v2, but I just don't have time to get more game going to climb ranks :p

I wouldn't mind playing a few games either :) . My ZvZ really need practice :ohwell:

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played Starcraft in a while, but when I played:
Yes I played online(I really sucked though)
I mainly played Terrian(or however it's spelled)
I was never in a clan.
I played alot more of Warcraft III, I had a pretty good record on WCIII and I was in a couple clans and everything.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Why does it suck now? Just kinda old? Are you gonna play SC2 Alphican?

Are you guys watching the TSL stuff? It's fun to watch. I want Brat to take 1st :D P sucks

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Nah SC doesn't suck, not playing sucks. I don't play because that super good nostalgic feeling i get when I do is gone, so I don't have to drive to play anymore.... To much smash bros? Yes i will be playing SC2, and I do not follow the pros or leagues as much as I use to.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Someone wanted to know how to stop zerg rush with Toss:

7 probe then pylon.
Send pylon probe to scout (learn to micro scout and harass zerg, this skill is invaluable)
8 probe
9 probe
gateway
10 probe
gateway
zealot
pylon
go from there

If you are fast enough you should be able to have 2 lots out just as the zerg rush gets there, at the very least 1 with 2 more in the factories. Learn to micro probes and to either gateway edge or barrier base.

Zerg rush is hard to beat, but once you learn how you rarely worry about it again. If you see vespene when you scout early assume lurk rush over ling rush.

This should go without saying but its important to keep a 2.5 ratio of probe to mineral, keep a 3 ratio just before expansion and then send about 1/3 of your probes to the expo.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, and more wrong. That's way to old school for the gamers you're gonna meet now a days, because they usually go mutas from now. Just get forge first, and gateway wall. If the zerg rush is a 6 pool or something, learn to use your probes.

EDIT: I am sorry if I sounded like a bit of an ***, but I don't want anyone listening to that, and then getting destroyed.

Here, this will defeat a zerg rush, and set you up in a good position:

10 gate
gas
zealot
pylon
zealot
cybernetics core
zealot

I am assuming that you know the basic build, and when to get the first pylon, and the timing for the first lot. If you don't I could clarify in a future post, but follow that guide line, and a zerg rush won't beat that, and you will be in a good position to build up your eco.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well if you have good enough experience, that build WILL stop any zerg rush, and if you do it with minimal losses, you'll end up on top.

pockyD

Smash Legend
if you don't do it right though (it's harder to do 'right' than just 'make cannons') you're going to be way behind or maybe even dead

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Starcraft holds a special place in my heart, but I haven't played since gradeschool. I'd get so owned today. I bet every random person online now is as good as the best of the best back then. Good times, though.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Wow this is the most action this thread has seen in a long time. Long live SC, and I think I am gonna start playing right after school ends, and when I get back from my vacation.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Shrug, I guess that is old school, haven't played in 3 years. However I would disagree with 10 gate, I messed with that and to often zerg rush = **** even with good probe micro.

All I was addressing was beating the zerg rush, which is most easily accomplished by 7 gating.

pockyD

Smash Legend
if they don't 5pool you and you fail to kill them with a rush of your own, you are WAY behind though

i find that way more often than not, 10gate holds fine, exceptions being some super-close starting spots

Alphicans

Smash Hero
PockyD wtf are you talking about? Rush counters rush? Fast expo cannons counters rush nicely, along with 1 gate tech. It's really hard to mess both of those up, unless you don't know the build.

EDIT: I i misunderstood, and you meant it by: "if you rush and it's not a 5 pool, then you are screwed," than i am kinda sorry. It sill doesn't make much sense, because you are still saying rush counters rush, but i know what you meant if u meant it like that. If not then disregard this.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i meant if you go 7 gate and the zerg player doesn't rush you, you are 100% committed to doing a rush of your own because of how far back it set you (7 gate is what, 5 pylon?), and you better do a significant amount of damage with your initial zealots

if you DO get 5pooled, you're still probably at best even, unless you totally outmicro him (in which case you should've 10gated and you could be even more ahead)

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
Yea, 7 gate imo put you really far behind for the risk it's worth. If you dont do a lot damage vs a strong eco build, your far behind. If he doesnt do an econ build, you are screwed. And nowadays a lot of zergs 9pool, because so many Tosses FE.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
My life is becoming fairly turbulent in the next few weeks, but after that I should be good to go for regular SC. Not saying anyone should look out for me, but I'll get that Hub thing working in a few weeks and I'll get some games in with you guys if that's okay. I play a D-ish Zerg, so I can beat noobs and get ***** by anyone with good macro/micro :p

SloT

Smash Journeyman
Sure.. i just got a Wii and Brawl 2 days ago (i was broke.. thats why i never got one.. + they were never available except for on the days where i couldnt go out to get one.. )

But im gonna come back on soon .. i just need to get my Brawl skills to at least my minimum expectations.. rofl

CtrLZerG[7] @ USWest now also ... my friend came back from LOOONG break.. and alphicans, give me your flippin Wii Friends code plz kthx =D

BTW... pockyD... your sig ... its like "i sense a disturbance in the force" weird >_>

SloT

Smash Journeyman
I play Battle.net on Chaos Launcher.. Chaos Launcher = Very Very Low Latency = awesome micro and really fun games! xD
i cant get used to regular battle.net again after playing so many games on Chaos and ICCup.. its to much fun having no unit lag lol
and to newb who will be asking me "YOU HACKZ YOU NEWB STUPID KTHXBYE BBQ!1!one!" Chaos Launcher isnt a hack. It Lowers your Latency and your apponants latency (as long as he has chaos aswell) to the point where its at about the same level as LAN style games. Many progamers use Chaos Launcher's Latency Changer now, as it can be quite enjoyable, and games can be changed simply due to a Skillful micro attack ... yes i got ***** by 2 vulture spark terran , big woop wanna fight about it?

pockyD

Smash Legend
yes, i know what chaoslauncher is, but if you want to use the latency adjuster, both players have to be using it, which once again doesn't help for playing on b.net

if I want to play randoms (which I rarely do), I'll just play on iccup

otherwise, people know where to find me -_-

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmmm... I'm curious about this ChaosLauncher and how it could possibly reduce latency. Like, what kind of a ping can you get through this?

SloT

Smash Journeyman
yes, i know what chaoslauncher is, but if you want to use the latency adjuster, both players have to be using it, which once again doesn't help for playing on b.net
I know, but just about everyone has Chaos Launcher now, and you can just go into a korean channel like clanby and get a game .. =P
also there are gosus that play pubs ON chaos launcher, but they make sure you have chaos on first... or you get banned.. i think there reasoning on it is "If he has Chaos Launcher, He cant possibly be an average pub!" well.. who knows.. a little while back i played some guy from Shield, and he was Real.. i saw him with a hammer the next day in the channel lol
Other days, in games which are either full or days where im banned because i dont speak korean well, i see the creator of games of people who are in NameClan, InteR, 3.33, Clanby, and one guy was a trial user from [gm] .. he was beastly, his macro was incredible, and he was smart too.. he also was real for certain.. saw him the next day playing people in the channel and a mod + bot was in there.. my point being you can get good games in 'public' rooms if you just know how to look and know which users are good and which are bad xD

pockyD

Smash Legend
sure, but that seems like a lot of effort and unnecessary flailing about when you could simply go on iccup, make a "pub" game, and get some pretty good competition right off the bat

Plazma

Smash Apprentice
I used to play a while back not online or anything though. I used to cheat a lot. black sheep wall, show me the money, power overwhelming were a few haha

Top Bottom