• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft Discussion

Alphicans

Smash Hero
o m g! I didn't see that coming. That set was such ****, like I thought the games would be closer, but he just dominated everything.

SloT

Smash Journeyman
Wow that was... unexpected o_o; 3-0 wow pwnd? rofl
well that probably means the guy who lost is gonna come back with extremem revenge. I'm content with the results =]

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
is it me or did the expression on Flash seem to give off a feeling of resignation and apathy? It's as almost as if he was expecting to lose, like he bet alot of money on Jaedong to win or something

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I was really hoping the last game wouldn't be a wash-out, though I do sort of like that a zerg player like Jaedong fought to the top now.

I think Flash needed the defeat, he's been on such a high roll up until now that you know some things are gonna stagnate unless he gets good reason to practice and explore his own weaknesses. I'm sure he'll come back even more frightening than before.

Flash did seem like he gave up halfway into the second round though. Apparently he had to have a talk with his coach back stage.

I've seen a little more Starcraft 2 footage and I think it's looking pretty good. The big fear is that since it's using a similar looking 3D style to Warcraft III that it'll also suffer the same tendency to be hard to watch, because your units get so lost in this mesh of bright lights and similar looking buildings. But so far from the new footage I've seen the buildings and units look pretty distinct and easy to see, and the perspective is primarilly pretty straightforward overhead though you can zoom into little things. I hope you can zoom out a bit too.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
flash and jaedong have a boxer yellow relation going on, jaedong has beaten flash b4 and vice versa, so i am sure we will see many more of them playing each other.

you could make a lot of comparisons from sc2 to a lot of rts's, its hard to be original in this field of gaming, and my biggest fear from what i have seen is terran seems to be worse. tanks are weaker, defense is better but offense seems to have gotten worse, but only time will tell what blizzard is hiding.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Boxer's going to love the new medic dropships though. I don't think they seem weaker per say, it just seems like they're emphasizing the proposed Terran strength of adaptability, just like it seems like they're further emphasizing the more straight forward tactics of the Zerg and the tactical mechanized style of the Protoss. My only gripe about the Terrans though is the new construction vehicle meant to replace the Science Vessal is so **** UGLY. Uhg.

I know it's a construction vehicle so it sort of makes sense but ahg.

The only thing I've heard so far from people who played the game as it is now is that the new Thor unit needs work. It's not too effective supposedly. They'll probably be things to fix though no matter what but I have a feeling Blizzard is going to be particularly all over that with further patches and the inevitable expansion knowing its immense playerbase around the world, especially Korea.

As long as you can see the game though, like the visuals are clear and not so "blended" a lot can go by.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
this is very true, and i suppose you make a valid point about each races strongpoint, and we can only hope it will be as balanced as BW. And blizzard still hasnt given a release date, so i am sure they are working on all the bugs//problems as we speak.

SloT

Smash Journeyman
I'm looking forward to SC2, but of course we cant be sure what it will be like until we actually play it for ourselves. HOWEVER! The people who have played it unanimously said "it is Starcraft, and the game is awesome. the imbalanced things are the only problem, and they are all getting worked on" so im really looking forward to how this will turn out. Im expecting it will be an awesome game =]

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
I'm looking forward to SC2, but of course we cant be sure what it will be like until we actually play it for ourselves. HOWEVER! The people who have played it unanimously said "it is Starcraft, and the game is awesome. the imbalanced things are the only problem, and they are all getting worked on" so im really looking forward to how this will turn out. Im expecting it will be an awesome game =]
I agree although I don't think imbalances will be a major problem at all. The first starcraft had alot of imbalances when it first came out (remember 4 pool with a spawning pool costing only 150 min?), but Blizzard stuck with it and made it what it is today; given the track record of Blizzard, any flaws will be worked on until resolved. If it were any other company I'd be worried, even though they're technically a part of activision now.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
im sure this game will be good, but if i get another hyped up game like H3, GOW, or brawl i will hate myself. but im sure that wont happen because like gosu said, blizzard tends to stick with games and make them great.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
i play starcraft you guys lol everybody in the hub used to but when i reinstalled SC they all newbed out on me and dont play anymore rofl

if you guys get on our hamachi server tho ill be up for games

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master

Alphicans

Smash Hero
we must revive this thread!

now i must link to some SlayS_`Boxer` videos. he is the greatest gamer of all time, these videos will make you lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jen46qkZVNI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1BnYYRnzN4&feature=related

now getting to some real sc disscussion, how do u rush goliaths against toss and how do you use them, because i have herd that many pros use them against toss to a high extent.
WHOA! I didn't read that clearly before. I though you said that you wanna know how, because pros don't do them often. But you said you've heard they do it.

Get that out of your head, they do not. Goliath rushes are non-existent. Just think about the money involved, the time to build an armory, and the fragility of goliaths. Put these together, and you have an equation for disaster. Where/whoever you heard this from is wrong. Goliaths are primarily used in later game vs carriers or arbiters. I would not suggest to have a high count of goliaths unless you are up against carriers.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
No he doesn't gol tech. He gets an armory for a 1 attack upgrade so his push is stronger. Get it out of your mind that you skip tanks. Tanks ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT UNIT FOR TERRAN. Flash would never skip tanks, they are the single unit that a good terran player will base their strategy on.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
are we still talking PvT, because 1. i dont mean doesnt build tanks, i meant has a 3:1 ratio of gols to tanks, and 2. he used this build at the star invitational which he won, and he used it as an anti carrier build, tanks arent that effective against carriers, i think we can both agree on that.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
i aksed the question because while reading the wikipedia page i stumbled apon this..

The "Ultimate Weapon", Flash is KTF's current ace player, and is currently considered the strongest Terran player in all three matchups. He is currently ranked 1st in the KeSPA rankings as of August 2008. Flash is particularly known for his innovation of early upgraded Goliaths for effective defense and attack against Protoss
EDIT - and by rush i didn't mean attack i meant excel in build order

Alphicans

Smash Hero
He'll get two. Why you ask? Because it says to protoss: "Don't drop me, i will kill your dropship, don't get carriers, I already have goliaths, get arbiters if you want, but they won't be much of a surprise." He is the ultimate anti-cheese player. But the armory is primarily for the weapon upgrade.

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
I have always enjoyed playing it but only bother playing on line a couple of times. Wanna really step up my game and prepare for SC2 so really gotta learn the basics. What is the Smashboards of the SC community?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Actually, if it wasn't for vultures having mines, goliaths do a more efficient job killing zealots than vultures. But yes goliaths do suck lol.

EDIT: plz don't respond with 1 vulture beats infinite zlots, because that's not practical.

pockyD

Smash Legend
why wouldn't you bother researching mines?

if you want to just consider things in a vacuum like this, firebats and medics is even better. doesn't make them viable though

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You misunderstood my point. It was more of a joke than anything. Plus wtf am I talking about goliaths don't suck. In tvt they are extremely useful, tvp they are extremely useful, and in tvz mech builds can be pretty effective, albeit bio builds are extremely more efficient. Watch a game of flash vs protoss, those two initial goliaths save him alot of trouble, and kills any observers that wanna look at his army.

pockyD

Smash Legend
goliaths are almost exclusively used because of the lack of a viable alternative (that being mobile anti-air)

if you get goliaths when you don't need them (like the guy who was asking about a goliath rush), it's simply a waste of money and will lead to you getting run over

aside from that, people who "mass" goliaths are simply too lazy to have a proper army mix and pay attention to their units

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yea, but that doesn't mean goliaths suck. 1 of the three matchups, goliaths are extremely valuable. And in TvP, they can act as a shield, and also are the number 1 carrier counter (unless you somehow get mass wraiths).

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well m&m is potentially the strongest force in the game. If you do the economics, the damage, the time, the ease, and the mobility, m&m ***** every unit in the game. The only problem is micro. The difficulty of microing 100 m&m perfectly is way to difficult, and a human being couldn't consistently do it every game, that is why tanks, gols, and vultures are used. When I first heard it, I thought this was crazy talk, but I tested it against every unit with a friend, and it holds true. So I think it's unfair to rule in m&m, when I could easily say every unit is useless when compared to m&m. The fact of the matter is is that goliaths are easier to use vs carriers, already easy to build due to mass factories, and have high range. Not only that, m&m need gols to be super effective against carriers (again watch flash).

pockyD

Smash Legend
m/m is actually super simple to use against carriers; just stim and hold position

the problem is that a reaver or high templar will wander over and destroy your whole army while you do that

if you're saying goliaths are good because they're "easy to use", then like I said, that's simply laziness :)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well whatever you think, it doesn't matter... Because goliaths are used because it's easier. Getting 3 rax and researching range/stim and then stop producing tanks/gols/vultures is a huge task. Terran micro is the hardest micro in the game, and when you take marines into play, it elevates that 10 fold. You're thinking I am talking out of personal preference when I am not. This is why they are used, and why marines aren't used.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Well whatever you think, it doesn't matter... Because goliaths are used because it's easier. Getting 3 rax and researching range/stim and then stop producing tanks/gols/vultures is a huge task.
Right; like i also said, they are used because of the lack of an alternative. Specifically in this case, they are used because you already have a bunch of factories, not a bunch of barracks.

Terran micro is the hardest micro in the game, and when you take marines into play, it elevates that 10 fold. You're thinking I am talking out of personal preference when I am not. This is why they are used, and why marines aren't used.
marines aren't commonly used vs carriers because they get torn up by everything else protoss has (I think this is the 3rd time i've said this?). If terran magically knew that the protoss was not going to make a significant amount of dragoons or any HT/DT/Reavers, then I propose he would indeed use a bio build from the start.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Did you skip my post on the overwhelming potential of marines? That's why i am ignoring your point on them getting torn up by the units. They get torn up by the micro.

Top Bottom