• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
SCOTU wins!

SCOTU gains 50 experience points

if your opponent doesn't get online, doesn't c heck messages, and doesn't get on SC, you'll get a win for the match and move on in the bracket.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Overswarm is terrible, I should have won :).

GGs OS. Well played. Thanks for the discussion after btw, helpful.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Have you seen him post here recently since last weekend?

Exactly.
I lurk here, I rarely post at all. If you need to get a hold of me, PM me. I'm on here at least once every day, just because I don't post doesn't mean I'm not around :). I can be online almost every evening, around 8-10 central. Only exception this week will be Thursday. When are you free?

rhan

Smash Hero
Any day out the week. Mobile hot spot. But I recently had to fix my laptop so idk how great it shall do until I test it out later today. I'll definitely can be on at 8 central. It's just 9 here.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I made it to diamond and lost 6 in a row.
Yeah when I made it to diamond I lost 4 in a row(they were around 25-2700 diamonds) and then won like 8 in a row or something against diamonds closer to my level lol. The first 4 got me down though cause I had over a 60% win rate that dropped :/.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If your win rate is over 50%, you go up. When you go up in league, they bump up your ELO a bit and give you an opportunity to jump even higher.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The only build order I follow is 10 Depot, 12 Barracks, 13 Gas OR 14 Barracks, 15 Orbital+Marine, 16 Depot.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
good cheese as T vs. Z

Depot / Rax

build 2nd rax in the middle of the map out of his standard OL and ling path.

Rush. :(

Scar

#HarveyDent
ya it's not really a build order

if you constantly make scv's you'll be in good shape

if you learn waht to do like after the 5 minute mark (whenever that's done) you'll be in good shape

you can make it to diamond just by having solid mechanics -- i can prove this since my mechanics are just OK and my strategy is nonexistant (besides make more stalkers if they're making air units) and i am diamond-level

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
ya it's not really a build order
It's an order in which things are built. Therefore it's a build order. Doesn't really matter that it's completely standard (with the slightly less standard 2rax opening option), you kinda need standard build orders in order for other ones to be called non-standard. \

The best example of "winning on mechanics alone" was that one guy on Reddit who just maxed supply on 3/3/3 Stalkers and A-moved them at the enemy base, winning 18 games straight until finally losing to a diamond player, basically proving that of all the fundamentals, macro alone can take you pretty damn far.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Thanks for the advice guys, but I think that I'm just going to 6-pool my way to diamond.

But seriously, thanks! I'm probably going to focus on my Protoss now instead of playing Zerg (who I'm terrible in the late game with), but Ankoku's build order makes me want to try out Terran sometime. I mean, I've only played 3 matches with them so far. XD

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's a freaking standard build order. I also do 9 Overlord 15 Hatch 14 Pool+Extractor with Zerg, and 9 Pylon 13 Gateway 15 Pylon 16 Assimilator 18 Cybernetics Core with Protoss. Learning to play standard is the first step toward knowing how the game actually works.

rhan

Smash Hero
If doing standard openings is a build... then according to that logic cheeses like canon rush and 6 pool are builds too.

Openings are openings towards full builds. That pretty much include transitioning into something else. I'm sure you won't stay on one gas and one barracks the entire game.

M@v

Subarashii!
good cheese as T vs. Z

Depot / Rax

build 2nd rax in the middle of the map out of his standard OL and ling path.

Rush. :(
Maka-rax all day. :troll:

I havent played 1v1s in at least a week and I feel im going to get rick-rolled because of it if I jump straight into ladder. Who's going to be on around 10 eastern tonight? I want some 1v1s :cool:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If doing standard openings is a build... then according to that logic cheeses like canon rush and 6 pool are builds too.
They are. Just because it's an absurdly short build order doesn't mean it isn't one.
Ref: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/6_Pool

Openings are openings towards full builds. That pretty much include transitioning into something else. I'm sure you won't stay on one gas and one barracks the entire game.
I won't, but what I do typically doesn't follow any sort of set order after the beginning 16 supply. It's typically far better to build based on when you have the resources to build rather than follow supply numbers by that point, unless you're going for a specific cheese or all-in. Note that the only build orders that have ever been "optimized" by supply numbers tend to be cheeses, while many others go by gas/mineral timings, and most transitions actually involve reacting to intel on the opponent rather than any single thing about your stuff.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
when I 6 pool, I don't even pretend I'm playing legit by having a plan from there, I just leave it at 5 drones and stop mining when I have 250 minerals in the bank to send drones with my lings for the all in :laugh:. I'm such a :troll: when it comes to this game.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
As for standard vs cheese, it really depends on what kind of a player you are.

If you are better at Micro (or Troop control), cheesey is better for learning.

If you are better at Macro (build orders, unit production), standard is better for learning.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
imo, it's better to learn to cheese to learn the game. play random and cannon rush, 6 pool, and proxy rax
Everyone should know how to cheese, but you need to also learn the straight macro game as well.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Yeah starting off standard allows you to adapt a lot better. I don't like having a lot of different early build orders, I prefer doing the standard Terran opening and then switching based on what I scout. If you start off cheesy then you basically have to stick with it, because it's a cheese. I'm also just not a cheesy player at all, but that's just because I'd rather focus on fundamentals until I get a lot better.

Zone

Smash Champion
Sticking to one strat such as cheese to get to diamond is only going to hurt you. Although it might work in ladder cuz
Your opponent is always new and won't ever know your style w/o good scouting. But when it comes to tourneys and stuff if you don't have a good mix up and become predictable you'll get owned. I don't like cheese but I force myself to do it. To keep my game a guessing game. Of course sometimes one opening on a specific map is stronger than others such as 15 hatch 14 pool on large maps with far away spawn locations. But I'm sure you get my point

Top Bottom