• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Mass Ravens is the manliest build ever. It also saves money by only costing energy, if you keep them alive.

Conserve minerals! Go green!

rhan

Smash Hero
I hope not.. ._.

LOL That's totally me.

that's actually the game I linked earlier...

At least he said my name right.. xDDDD

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
lol, what are the chances? that's crazy. i like SC2NoobSchool

tho im at the end at his supply depot talk is kinda lame. u made a 2nd supply depot in order to block off the ramp. but i guess you coulda just made a 2nd rax there instead.

rhan

Smash Hero
The ironic part. When I pushed out I scanned and saw more raoches pushing out so I was focusing more on setting up at the Tower on his side more then actually macro'ing.

It's informative though.

Edit: This guy definitely doesn't look at the fact of microing though... If you watch the replay you'd see why I didn't/couldn't keep up. Also finishing the block with a 2nd Rax would have threw off my build. Which was mech heavy. And I scouted the pool and the fact he was still on 1 base I knew there was some kind of rush coming soon. So I turtled.

Apparently I'm really good at NOT getting supply blocked! :D

And a little shout out at the end.

/accomplished.

I'm subscribing!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
well we all have those kind of mistakes where you get so focused on micro and a battle that you dont macro. Its understandable. Is it good? No. A big part of moving up in skill is overcoming things like this, things you do as a person, not learning better build orders or stuff like that. Day9 has said many times he will go through his own replays and just watch his base and be pained every time he makes macro mistakes. I think there is actually a daily where he analysed replays and basically did that, then figured out WHY and tried to help those players solve those problems.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Day9 is quick to point out in some of his own plays how his first thought when something big is going on is "am I still making stuff back home?" It's a very important thing to go by, and though it sacrifices some of your army micro to make sure everything's still building, stronger mechanics tend to be far more important.

It's telling at times when, even after a harass is poorly responded to, the person who was performing the harass is actually still worse off economically. It's always fun to watch SlayerS_BoxeR's recent TvZ games, where he applies very aggressive pressure with Tanks and Marines, giving the Zerg hell through strong Siege entrenchment covered by the Marines, and when it's finally broken with a huge trade against Lings, Banes, and Mutas, BoxeR just walks in with a new army even bigger that he had been building up back home in the meantime.

Omni

BRoomer
Yeah, I watched those games recently, too. Who was the Z, again? Morrow? I forget but once the engagement was over I always thought Z would just be able steamroll with a 2nd push, but somehow Boxer was able to macro up a new, usually pretty big force almost instantly.

And I'm pretty sure that Zerg was also very specialized in macro'ing as well.

It's definitely a huge weakness for me. I am getting into the habit tho of constantly just cycling through my control groups and queue'ing up at a max of 2 units per production facility. It's like:

3s 4aaa 5s tab dd

3 = CC
4 = Rax
5 = Factory/Starport (i never queue these facilities ever, or at least try not to)

When I get good at remembering to do this I usually forget to build supply depots. So now I'm working on like a quick check process where I input the above, then immediately check if a supply depot is needed (usually is), and then I go back to doing whatever I was doing. It only takes like a few seconds to go through that list. The hardest part is remembering to come back to it every 20 seconds or so.

_Dice

Smash Ace
Yeah, I watched those games recently, too. Who was the Z, again? Morrow? I forget but once the engagement was over I always thought Z would just be able steamroll with a 2nd push, but somehow Boxer was able to macro up a new, usually pretty big force almost instantly.

And I'm pretty sure that Zerg was also very specialized in macro'ing as well.

It's definitely a huge weakness for me. I am getting into the habit tho of constantly just cycling through my control groups and queue'ing up at a max of 2 units per production facility. It's like:

3s 4aaa 5s tab dd

3 = CC
4 = Rax
5 = Factory/Starport (i never queue these facilities ever, or at least try not to)

When I get good at remembering to do this I usually forget to build supply depots. So now I'm working on like a quick check process where I input the above, then immediately check if a supply depot is needed (usually is), and then I go back to doing whatever I was doing. It only takes like a few seconds to go through that list. The hardest part is remembering to come back to it every 20 seconds or so.
well you can do what the pro's do, instead of going back on a timer, just spend your time pressing the hotkey for your production facilities when you aren't actively doing something.

IE.

4564564564564564564564564564561atclickhclickhclickh4564564564564564aaaa5ss6clickhclickhclickhclickh.

rhan

Smash Hero
well we all have those kind of mistakes where you get so focused on micro and a battle that you dont macro. Its understandable. Is it good? No. A big part of moving up in skill is overcoming things like this, things you do as a person, not learning better build orders or stuff like that. Day9 has said many times he will go through his own replays and just watch his base and be pained every time he makes macro mistakes. I think there is actually a daily where he analysed replays and basically did that, then figured out WHY and tried to help those players solve those problems.
Yeah I guess I gotta try to get that muscle memory where I can focus on my micro while still producing units with my control keys. Kinda like subconscious play I suppose.At least with SCV's because I realise that's where I lack the most. I always rewatch games and see why I won and what I need to work on. I always notice my SCV count is always 6-10 lower than my opponent.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
pressing keys like that isn't necessary. you should only be doing that when you are looking there with your eyes to see how long until you have to perform the next action, and you will only be doing that when you aren't doing something else. The timer thing is really good, but usually its better to have mental triggers for you to go back to macro.

For me, i had a trigger so that when i would begin harassing with mutas i would immediately check for injects. While injecting, i would watch my mutalisks on the minimap to see when the opponent would bring units in to defend, then immediately switch back to the mutas and run them away.

rhan

Smash Hero
He must have seen it on the recently uploaded replays on sc2replayed. I only uploaded it to show Omni a few other ways to fend off against a Roach rush.

rhan

Smash Hero
But in lower levels it worked. Soooo.... if it wasn't how one was suppose to... why did I beat it?

Cuz of the adaptation and flexibility of being able to get the unit composition/counter easy.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Just because it worked in Silver league doesn't mean it's proper practice. I could win with only marines and SCVs in Silver but that doesn't mean it'll work in Diamond/Masters. You shouldn't use things in lower levels just because they work in lower levels, you should practice doing things that work all across the board, from the highest levels of play down to the lowest.

rhan

Smash Hero
A Mech build is kinda standard v Zerg anyway. Especially tanks.

Siege expanding is a lot easier then pushing out with a few marines and bunkers.

AAAAAAANNNNDDDDDD again I must reiterate for those who don't read. Not showing off. Just showing an easier way to deal with Zerg early rushes in lower leagues.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Well you also 1 based for close to 15 minutes. I wouldn't really call that a siege expand. I never said you were showing off, I'm saying you shouldn't use tactics that work in lower leagues just because they work at lower leagues.

rhan

Smash Hero
It's not siege expanding. It was suppose to be BF helion harass but I had to transition into tank maud due to the roaches.

But yeah new subject. I feel ya'll are just insulting my intelligence because I'm in a "lower" league and assuming I don't know the game. >_>

US top 2 in Grandmaster league being Zerg. Idra and Sheth. Idra also being rank 4 in the world.

Discuss.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
I love Idra.

pretty much all i have to say on the subject as of right now. Dont really consider myself in a position to discuss how good races are

but I feel from a spectator standpoint protoss is the best

but i also feel like thats not saying much and that th game is balanced.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
It's not siege expanding. It was suppose to be BF helion harass but I had to transition into tank maud due to the roaches.

But yeah new subject. I feel ya'll are just insulting my intelligence because I'm in a "lower" league and assuming I don't know the game. >_>

US top 2 in Grandmaster league being Zerg. Idra and Sheth. Idra also being rank 4 in the world.

Discuss.
I'm not insulting your intelligence, sorry if you feel that way. I think you know the game but I'm just trying to tell you, like I've said in the last two posts, that just because some tactic works at the lower level doesn't mean that that's something that should be taught. To use somewhat of an analogy, you shouldn't learn bad study skills in high school because then you have to relearn better skills for college.

On the note of Sheth/IdrA: When they start putting up some better results in tournaments (yes IdrA did well at MLG) I'll be impressed. Ladder's ladder.

Protoss is stupid by the way.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
If you want to just work solely on your macro at lowel levels as T, just make marines. Just SCV, Marine, Medivac works against Z fairly well, even up to Diamond level. Against P, you might want to make some Marauders and Vikings as well, but that's more than sufficient. In TvT, you can go Marauder, Marine Medivac, and you can get pretty high.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Idra and some of the EG guys live in Az kind of close to me. I'm going to go to a local tourney they're putting on sometime soon. That's gonna be fun. XD

Omni

BRoomer
FYI, I left Bronze yesterday and was moved straight to Rank 2 Silver!

But then after playing like one custom game I noticed I was down to like Rank 25 or something. Lol, weird.

Also watched Kenny do mass Raven against Zerg. Lol, wow that's so harsh. Completely shuts down any chance of continuing reinforcements by forces their main army to retreat from their main lines by harassing the mineral lines with auto turrets.

_Dice

Smash Ace
FYI, I left Bronze yesterday and was moved straight to Rank 2 Silver!

But then after playing like one custom game I noticed I was down to like Rank 25 or something. Lol, weird.

Also watched Kenny do mass Raven against Zerg. Lol, wow that's so harsh. Completely shuts down any chance of continuing reinforcements by forces their main army to retreat from their main lines by harassing the mineral lines with auto turrets.
mass raven is so gimmicky, if zerg scouts it coming, terran loses if they don't terran wins, unless zerg outplays the ravens.

omni you were likely placed intoa brand new division of silvers. so as people joined and played 1 game (while you were customing) you lost out in rank.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Whenever you get promoted, your score gets reset to 23 + the amount of bonus pool you used in the previous division.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i lost to katy perry's mass raven (sorry, forgot your swf account :() simply because i didn't know how to react. I scouted it pretty early, and had enough overlords and vision around the map to see them moving out, but i just didn't do anything good i suppose. I didn't take too much damage from the ravens themselves, but when he came in with a pure marine army behind that i lost (i was stockpiling resources since i had no idea what to build, and had just put all my gas into mutas)

Omni

BRoomer
kenny = katy perry = kenrawr

yeah, it looked pretty strong. he pushed out after a LVL 1 or 2 upgrade i believe when all his ravens (about 10-12) had full energy. then he just went to all the expansions and dropped turrets behind the mineral lines. he didnt even push out his main army but if pushed while harassing the mineral lines that woulda been pretty deadly.

i think im getting better against Zerg. i just have to get into the mindset of "kill, kill, kill". i was told that i was too "gentle" when i play zerg so im going to just try to be crazy offensive

_Dice

Smash Ace
kenny = katy perry = kenrawr

yeah, it looked pretty strong. he pushed out after a LVL 1 or 2 upgrade i believe when all his ravens (about 10-12) had full energy. then he just went to all the expansions and dropped turrets behind the mineral lines. he didnt even push out his main army but if pushed while harassing the mineral lines that woulda been pretty deadly.

i think im getting better against Zerg. i just have to get into the mindset of "kill, kill, kill". i was told that i was too "gentle" when i play zerg so im going to just try to be crazy offensive
Congrats on doing better vs zerg, really it's all about just controlling the flow of the game w/ terran.

Sion

Island of Horizon
zone or sveet, we should play more pvz

my pvz is looking really bad right now
i have no confidence whatsoever in that matchup

omni:
yeah, that's the right idea. just don't overcommit and lose all of your units
i do that waaaaaaaaay too much

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
sion will you be on after 10pm (central)? If so we can play tonight for a little bit. Otherwise maybe tomorrow night.

Top Bottom