• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I feel sorry for the Koreans because we all know how much they love them Starcrafts and have big tournaments. Not anymore. :(

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
:laugh:

Riiight...
I touch the single player campaigns about once every few years if even that.

I go onto Battle.net once every few years to play my friend in the neighboring state.

I host actual LAN parties at my place regularly. My friends love it.

Without LAN functionality, the game has no value to me.

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
My bad. I mistook you for the SC fanboys who cry over every little thing they change from the first game. Anyway, you can still have all your friends over to play, you'll just have to all connect through Battle.net. It can be a hassle, but it's doable.

M@v

Subarashii!
just applied for the beta. Thanks for the notification about it TC

*fingers crossed*

I MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
My bad. I mistook you for the SC fanboys who cry over every little thing they change from the first game. Anyway, you can still have all your friends over to play, you'll just have to all connect through Battle.net. It can be a hassle, but it's doable.
I agree. It's just not worth it to me. There have been numerous times where I played over LAN where Internet was unavailable. Why should I be denied the right to play when there is a router right there connecting all of us? Because my computer cannot call Blizzard and ask for permission?

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
It sucks but it will essentially make Blizzard more money since you'll need a legit copy. I can probably count on 1 hand the amount of people who have the original Starcraft, legit and all. Without doubt, people will found solutions if their needs aren't fulfilled!

All in all, we really should all buy our games if we truly like them, out of respect for the hard work put into them and to make sure Blizzard doesn't go backrupt, lawl. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Their greed knows no bounds. I'm still going to buy Starcraft 2 (3 different parts...) when it finally comes out through even though this news makes me very mad.

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
I agree. It's just not worth it to me. There have been numerous times where I played over LAN where Internet was unavailable. Why should I be denied the right to play when there is a router right there connecting all of us? Because my computer cannot call Blizzard and ask for permission?
Well, if people would quit stealing games and play them legit, then companies wouldn't resort to this type of stuff.

Their greed knows no bounds.
People deserve to be paid for the product they make and/or sell. Is it greedy of Wal-mart to put security cameras all over their stores? I agree that it sucks, but I can't blame Blizzard for doing it.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Well, if people would quit stealing games and play them legit, then companies wouldn't resort to this type of stuff.
I would agree if this course of action actually reduced piracy at all. It won't. This is the equivalent of a company saying, "We're going to paint all cars black now, whether you like it or not. See, the way we figure it, black cars are slightly harder to see. Thieves might miss 'em if they can't see them well."

So, you, the consumer, lose some of your choice... while the illegal activity continues on unhindered.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
And yea, it sure is a shame that Starcraft was such a flop, too. No money was ever made from Starcraft, and nobody every played it due to piracy.

Oh... wait... it's the opposite?

And this won't prevent piracy at all. It just stops one way of doing it. Guess how hard it will be to reverse engineer the game and make a version that can play LAN? Or maybe even something that I'm not thinking of. It's futile.

I love you, Blizzard. But why the DRM?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
That's the part that blows my mind. Blizzard itself is evidence against this move!

Starcraft has virtually no DRM. The discs can be copied. The serial key system is easily circumvented. It features LAN play. By all accounts, this game should make no money. However, this game still sits on retailer shelves. Why hasn't it been pulled?

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
Quick question. I haven't actually checked on this myself, but hasn't Steam reduced piracy pretty significantly on Valve games? I only ask because the new Battle.net sounds kinda similar.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Quick question. I haven't actually checked on this myself, but hasn't Steam reduced piracy pretty significantly on Valve games? I only ask because the new Battle.net sounds kinda similar.
Yes and no. Steam has reduced piracy but not because it technologically blocked pirates. (There are Steam cracks out there. No DRM is impervious.) However, Steam did something other companies failed to do: it offers added value with the DRM. Instead of just locking down your purchases, it lets you download them again later because you paid for them. It lowers prices, offers sales, and makes life easier. Piracy went down due to incentives, not because the pirates were suddenly stumped.

That's the point I'm trying to make with Blizzard. Keeping LAN play increases the value of the product and produces more incentive to buy. The game is going to be pirated either way. By removing LAN play, thousands of players are walking away.

Sensai

Smash Master
Back from a week without internet.

So...no LAN play? Korea's going to be pissed, even more so than the rest of the internet.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
*BUMP*

I really hate being the bearer of bad news but
Starcraft II has officially been delayed till 2010.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/05/starcraft-2-delayed-until-2010/

http://kotaku.com/5330873/starcraft-ii-officially-delayed-to-2010

"Activision announced in its earnings report today that StarCraft II has been delayed into 2010,"

"Activision Blizzard's reason for the delay of StarCraft II is reportedly tied to the relaunch of its upgraded Battle.net service, which handles multiplayer for all things Blizzard. In a statement to the Blizzard community, the developer writes "Over the past couple of weeks, it has become clear that it will take longer than expected to prepare the new Battle.net for the launch of the game."

Blizzard calls the new Battle.net an "integral part of the StarCraft II experience and will be an essential part of all of our games moving forward." Activision CEO Bobby Kotick said during an investor call today that the new iteration of Battle.net will likely be ready "early next year.""

As the saying goes, "don't shoot the messenger!"

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
F8AL, why on earth would you blackout all that text?

Anyway, no one can honestly say they're surprised can they? I was actually surprised that they even suggested the possibility of it coming out this year.

That news does kinda suck, Buzzsaw, but think about it for a moment. Is it really any different from a company who licenses out their comics, toys, or video games to a television company to advertise their product? For instance, I'm sure Mirage gets paid whenever 4Kids airs episodes of the TMNT cartoon. This is pretty much the same thing. Korea broadcasts a lot of Starcraft, and I see no reason why they shouldn't pay Blizzard some sort of royalties for it. They're making a profit off of a game some other company made. Starcraft is not a public domain sport like football, basketball, etc.

D

Deleted member

*BUMP*

I really hate being the bearer of bad news but
Starcraft II has officially been delayed till 2010.

Secret link #1

Secret link #2

"Activision announced in its earnings report today that StarCraft II has been delayed into 2010,"

"Activision Blizzard's reason for the delay of StarCraft II is reportedly tied to the relaunch of its upgraded Battle.net service, which handles multiplayer for all things Blizzard. In a statement to the Blizzard community, the developer writes "Over the past couple of weeks, it has become clear that it will take longer than expected to prepare the new Battle.net for the launch of the game."

Blizzard calls the new Battle.net an "integral part of the StarCraft II experience and will be an essential part of all of our games moving forward." Activision CEO Bobby Kotick said during an investor call today that the new iteration of Battle.net will likely be ready "early next year.""

As the saying goes, "don't shoot the messenger!"
I told you guys this weeks and weeks ago.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7718897&postcount=157

March 2010. Believe it.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
That news does kinda suck, Buzzsaw, but think about it for a moment. Is it really any different from a company who licenses out their comics, toys, or video games to a television company to advertise their product? For instance, I'm sure Mirage gets paid whenever 4Kids airs episodes of the TMNT cartoon. This is pretty much the same thing. Korea broadcasts a lot of Starcraft, and I see no reason why they shouldn't pay Blizzard some sort of royalties for it. They're making a profit off of a game some other company made. Starcraft is not a public domain sport like football, basketball, etc.
Video games are nothing like TV, comics, and other static media. Starcraft is a platform on which people compete. There is only partial value in seeing Starcraft units, graphics, etc. People watch to see the players involved and the skill demonstrated. If Blizzard wants royalties for others "benefiting" off their game, fine. The Korean media companies should send Blizzard a bill for all the people they helped drive to buying the game.

Someone else benefiting continually off a product does not entitle the creator continued payment. I sit on my chairs continually without paying the carpenter. I drive my cars continually without paying the manufacturers. Watching Starcraft matches on TV does nothing to devalue or replace the experience of playing the game. If Blizzard wants a cut so badly, it should front the cost of setting up the broadcast infrastructure and manage it by itself. Blizzard is paid for all the copies sold.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
It is a big step in the right direction. My biggest concern was that all our game data would zoom off to Blizzard causing pointless amounts of lag.

I'm not fully satisfied in that I need to "ask permission" to play a game I paid for in full. It essentially confirms that Blizzard openly lied about not using DRM.

If I do buy it, it will be for the sole purpose of hacking it so that I can write a program that will pretend to be the Battle.net server. It will just say "yes" or "OK" to all LAN play requests.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
StarCraft II Can Be Played Offline

http://kotaku.com/5344013/starcraft-ii-can-be-played-offline

"The next day we followed up on the issue with Blizzard vice president of game design Rob Pardo, who clarified the single player situation for us.

"You don't technically have to (login), but you'll want to. You can play in offline mode if you want - I just don't think you're going to want to. You'll be giving up lots and lots of features, and why would you want to be giving up features?"

We covered the features exhaustively in the original post, but perhaps we didn't draw your attention to the button on the above screenshot labeled "Play As Guest." That button kicks off the game without connecting, so those of you without internet who couldn't possibly be reading this post should be happy, unless they try to set up a LAN."

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Because people only connect to the Internet from home. :)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
That's only for singleplayer, which I don't think anyone was really worried about.

Jane

Smash Hero
I.....CAN'T.......****ING.......WAIIITTTT *head explodes*

seriously this game, is going to make love to me in a way no female ever could. lol.

typical of blizzard to make us wait EVEN LONGER. but whatever, i know they're just making the game MORE perfect.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I have regained much of my respect for Blizzard.

First off, they are partially compromising in regards to the LAN support. It still requires authentication pings to Battle.net (which I still do not agree with in the least), but the bulk of the game data will be transported locally. This will remove any issues of lag. I'm still on the fence on this simply because this still means I cannot play if my Internet is down.

Second, I completely misjudged the premium maps system. I was thinking of simple Starcraft 1 type multiplayer maps. Blizzard recently clarified that such maps will absolutely never be sold as premium maps. I have seen videos of the new Starcraft map editor, and it lets people essentially create entire new games from the engine. It lets people rewrite the rules of the game. So much work goes into such creation that I actually agree that they should be sold for money.

Now I don't know what I'm gonna do.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Thing is, games that you buy are great because you can play them offline/when you're internet is down.

Lost me as a buyer.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Wow made in 2007 and I just find this thread now lol. SC2 is the only game capable of generating mass amounts of hype for this long.

Top Bottom