• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Sensai

Smash Master
Oh, right, I forgot about that. Starcraft II is going to be released gradually.

Right, thanks for reminding me.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I heard Starcraft 2 will come in waaaaaaaaay ahead of Diablo 3. SC2 is finishing up the Terran campaign. Meanwhile, D3 hasn't even finished building Act 1 (last I heard). I wouldn't count on D3 until late 2010 at the earliest. :(
They aren't as far behind as you might think. Remember, they have separate teams working on different acts simultaneously, so just because they aren't done with Act 1 doesn't mean nothing else is finished.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
They aren't as far behind as you might think. Remember, they have separate teams working on different acts simultaneously, so just because they aren't done with Act 1 doesn't mean nothing else is finished.
... The game cannot be released until the other acts are completed. My statement still stands. >_>
BUMP.

Help choose what the Dark Templar Unit looks like!
http://www.starcraft2.com/features/protoss/darktemplar-vote.xml
#2 looks way cooler.

lances > swords

Sensai

Smash Master
You have put into words my exact dilemma!
#2 looks way cooler.

lances > swords
I really like the shroud over the face thing (even though they stated above that the Dark Templar go on and on about individuality...contradiction, haha) but wish they had a SWORD and not a...I dunno what you call it. Almost like a katar.

I feel that #2 could be like a special Dark Templar unit (Zeratul bodygaurd?)....

And could you vote? Or do you have to sign in to vote?

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
ok i have no idea which one to vote for. But i must say the hidden blade looks pretty dam sick.

EDIT - A feel familiar with the first model, but i just can't get me head arround which one i want in the game. Maybe i should just vote for the both. But, I don't like the game selecting a random model for me out of two.

peeup

Smash Lord
Second model, but first portrait =/

The double bladed scythe is awesome, but he looks like a zerg in his character portrait... I much prefer the cool bandana thing over his face.

EDIT: Check out these forums if you haven't already. They have all sorts of info that I had no idea existed... I have no idea how they got it, but the important thing is they know alot about new mechanics and units (inculding stuff that hasn't been on the official site AND updates on preexisting units that haven't been put on teh official site).
http://www.starcraft2forum.org/

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Second model, but first portrait =/

The double bladed scythe is awesome, but he looks like a zerg in his character portrait... I much prefer the cool bandana thing over his face.

EDIT: Check out these forums if you haven't already. They have all sorts of info that I had no idea existed... I have no idea how they got it, but the important thing is they know alot about new mechanics and units (inculding stuff that hasn't been on the official site AND updates on preexisting units that haven't been put on teh official site).
http://www.starcraft2forum.org/
They got it from Blizzcon and other game demos. You can find most of it on the Starcraft wiki I believe.
Hmmm...I'd like to keep both templar models just for variety's sake, but if I had to pick between just one, I'd say the first seems more assassin-like with the shroud and cape, the second reminds me more of a gladiator or something.

peeup

Smash Lord
If the first one had something in his empty hand, then I would probably like it more. It could have a cool black gauntlet on it. His psi-blade should be longer, too, so he doesn't look just look like a cloaked zealot.

Sensai

Smash Master
If the first one had something in his empty hand, then I would probably like it more. It could have a cool black gauntlet on it. His psi-blade should be longer, too, so he doesn't look just look like a cloaked zealot.
EXACTLY my thoughts.

I really do prefer the first model in every single way, I just don't like the fact that he's using a katar-type blade instead of a sword. He looks entirely too much like a normal zealot.

peeup

Smash Lord
In an effort to make sure that this thread doesn't wither away...

What units/mechanics do you think are stupid/overpowered/underpowered?

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
I think, there are going to be a lot of "rigged" units.
The first starcraft was favored zerg heavily, but blizzard kept with the game until it became the game it is now aka pure awesomeness.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
thats a good point, but Im referring to both, even when BW came out the pool for zerg was 150 so 4 pooling was basically auto win, thats why its 200 now, blizzard did a good job fixing a lot of bugs.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
*BUMP*

New Beta Opt-In Process For StarCraft II

http://kotaku.com/5242698/new-beta-opt+in-process-for-starcraft-ii
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/06/blizzard-opens-beta-test-opt-in-for-starcraft-ii/

"There's a new beta opt-in procedure at Blizzard's recently revamped Battle.net that StarCraft II beta hopefuls should probably go check out.

Relatively quick and painless, the new beta opt-in procedure foregoes the usual uploading of DXDIAG files in favor of a more Blizzard-flavored method of obtaining your system specs. First log into or create a new Battle.net account and head to the beta profiles page. Then download the Blizzard system check utility, which quickly sorts through your computer's innards and uploads the data to Battle.net. Make sure you've got StarCraft II checked, click "Update Preferences", and you're done.

Now all you have to do is hope you get picked among the millions of others also opting in for the beta. Good luck!"

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I'm ticked because the download link for the opt-in tool is broken. :(

EDIT -- Oh, sure, now it works...

finalark

SNORLAX
I really want to, but I know that my computer would explode if I did so much as installed it. Honestly, my computer can hardly handle Halo.

Niiro

Smash Ace
Hey, how come i'm not choosen yet? lol. God I really want to be one of the beta tester *crosses fingers*

Sensai

Smash Master

I just moved into my new house (well, not technically true but I'll spare the story) and thus I still have boxes EVERYWHERE....

....meaning I don't have any of my CD keys for WC3, SC, D2, etc. Meaning I CAN'T GET INTO BETA!

/wrists

shanus

Smash Hero
god i hate having to submit these system specs for a 6 yr old G5. I'm buying a new Mac Pro in like 2 weeks.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman

I just moved into my new house (well, not technically true but I'll spare the story) and thus I still have boxes EVERYWHERE....

....meaning I don't have any of my CD keys for WC3, SC, D2, etc. Meaning I CAN'T GET INTO BETA!

/wrists
Ouch. Should have just made a battle.net account before you moved. My condolences.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Having unusual system specs may actually help your chances of getting into the Beta.

Blizzard is looking to test the game on a wide array of platforms. They're going to want people with weird drivers, people who barely meet the specs, as well as people with godly machines.

That said....

OMG STARCRAFT 2!!!

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
Fyi guys, if you do the system diagnostic tool, and it won't send in to battle.net, just keep doing it, it should work eventually. It took me at least 20 times, and it took my other friend quite a few tries as well.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Fyi guys, if you do the system diagnostic tool, and it won't send in to battle.net, just keep doing it, it should work eventually. It took me at least 20 times, and it took my other friend quite a few tries as well.
It's not really necessary to ambush their servers with repeated attempts. If it fails, it means their servers are busy. Just try in a few hours.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I don't think Blizzard understands the position it is in at this moment. They should just sell the freakin' beta for $50 and indicate, "This will not reduce the price of the full game." Everyone would still buy the beta and the final version (I would, anyway).

Meanwhile, I can only hope that I make it into the beta. I've been rejected for so many Blizzard betas so far, I wanna cry...

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Blizzard Preps For StarCraft II Beta

"Blizzard is starting to gear up for the StarCraft II Beta, the company said recently in an email sent out to game writers.

The email, which asks game writers to make sure they have a Battle.Net account set up and a request in, says that Blizzard has no date yet to announce for the start of the beta. The email ends, however, by saying that all Battle.net account login info for game writers needs to be sent to Blizzard by June 19."

http://kotaku.com/5290970/blizzard-preps-for-starcraft-ii-beta

D

Deleted member

Bump.

I sent this to Kotaku, but whatever, they didn't listen to me. (or maybe they just haven't gotten around to publishing the post yet.)

I work at a book store and among actually selling books, I also process publisher's catalogues by ordering what my boss checkmarks. One catalogue, however, had a blurb and cover art for ISBN 9781439109380 -

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/StarCraft/Keith-R-A-DeCandido/e/9781439109380

Here's the link to that book, which if you click the link, is a Starcraft media tie-in book.

The blurb says, and I quote,
"What terror can haunt a ghost? Coinciding with the release of StarCraft II- the eagerly anticipated sequel to Blizzard Entertainment's top-selling science-fiction real-time strategy game--Nova, an elite stealth operative, embarks on a heart-stopping mission that pits her against her own kind and her tragic, hidden past."
Anyway, the important part is that the book is coming out the same time as the game. Chapters and B&N lists the book due for March 2010.

Hope this helps. I can scan the thing hopefully.

-Jake (DeLoRtEd1)

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
LAN support not included in StarCraft II

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/29/lan-support-not-included-in-starcraft-ii/

"According to an IncGamers interview with members of the StarCraft II team, one of the major components of the original game won't be included in the sequel -- LAN play. "We don't have any plans to support LAN," VP of game design Rob Pardo told the site. Blizzard has reportedly confirmed to IGN that LAN support is indeed out the window. We're reaching out to Blizzard for comment as well, so don't throw out all your cables yet.

If this is true, Battle.net is the only multiplayer option in StarCraft II, and the era of the LAN party has officially ended "

""We don't currently plan to support LAN play with StarCraft II, as we are building Battle.net to be the ideal destination for multiplayer gaming with StarCraft II and future Blizzard Entertainment games. While this was a difficult decision for us, we felt that moving away from LAN play and directing players to our upgraded Battle.net service was the best option to ensure a quality multiplayer experience with StarCraft II and safeguard against piracy."

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/30/starcraft-2-blizzard-responds-to-lack-of-lan-support/

I'm so mad at this news...

Top Bottom