• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Allied

Smash Master
well I finished the season with a losing streak on na putting me at around 1000 points -.-
hopefully this season I can at least make masters on korea
what is your usual plan in TvZ? i'm having trouble vs high masters atm.

Well as I suspected, I got placed back into diamond this season. I am partly surprised it happened though considering I went 3-9 yesterday and lost my placement match. lul. Oh well. Just gonna iron out my problems in custom games then re hit the ladder so I stay diamond.
at least ur doing as bad as me atm, yesterday won 15 in a row. Today i'm 6 - 13 sigh.

Lazzarrath

Smash Cadet
in tvz atm I almost always open with hellions, either reactor hellions or gasless cc into double gas then hellions (I use a really old build order for this). my basic plan is just control the map with hellions and then usually I do some sort of push to try and deny the zerg third or take a quick third of my own, I have been getting dual ebay a lot more these days, just because I find that when you have the upgrade advantage and a decent sized contingent of marine medivac remaining after a fight(assuming you lose the tanks) then you can push into the zerg and wreck them if they just stream ling, muta into your force. I don't usually have too much trouble vs zerg early to mid game assuming I am able to scout most all ins coming. Late game gives me a lot of trouble though, I suck vs ultras and I don't usually do enough drops or harass late game. I have tried doing more passive build orders, but I tend to just get rolled when I move out with my max army, although against something like infestor ling with heavy ups you sort of have to play passive since that style wrecks anything but a perfectly spaced/upgraded army :/

Allied

Smash Master
in tvz atm I almost always open with hellions, either reactor hellions or gasless cc into double gas then hellions (I use a really old build order for this). my basic plan is just control the map with hellions and then usually I do some sort of push to try and deny the zerg third or take a quick third of my own, I have been getting dual ebay a lot more these days, just because I find that when you have the upgrade advantage and a decent sized contingent of marine medivac remaining after a fight(assuming you lose the tanks) then you can push into the zerg and wreck them if they just stream ling, muta into your force. I don't usually have too much trouble vs zerg early to mid game assuming I am able to scout most all ins coming. Late game gives me a lot of trouble though, I suck vs ultras and I don't usually do enough drops or harass late game. I have tried doing more passive build orders, but I tend to just get rolled when I move out with my max army, although against something like infestor ling with heavy ups you sort of have to play passive since that style wrecks anything but a perfectly spaced/upgraded army :/
yeah currently doing alot of all ins on ladder to try diffeernt stuff i ahve some pretty crazy ones atm.

Ling infestor is so hard to deal with i just try to do a really tank heavy, marauder heavy push mid game usually wins for me. And if they have ultras i'll be ready but it really depends and its really hard T.T

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Something i've seen a few time at whatever level i'm at (probably low diamond) is zergs who get the greater spire as a mindgame to force vikings and then just mass mutas. I haven't lost to it yet (marines are pretty good) but I was wondering what you guys thought about it

Lazzarrath

Smash Cadet
tbh it doesn't sound terribly good, the most common responses are going to be ghosts or vikings and while vikings arent that good vs mutas with marine support you shouldnt have a problem, maybe if he faked you into producing vikings and more marine heavy armies and then went ultra instead that might work or if you just went so viking/ghost heavy that you didn't have enough mech to deal with banes and such. late game muta switch can be somewhat effective in that if you skimped on turrets cuz he was going infestors or something mid game and you have no turrets then that can be okay, but of course you will have upgraded marines by then so the mutas are worthless in a fight when they are 0-0

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Why would you mass Mutas when forcing something from Greater Spire? Vikings aren't good against Mutas, but they're not absolutely terrible either, and Marines are quick and cheap to produce and are made all the time anyway. Ultra Cavern into Mutas would probably be better, since it would lure Marauder/Tank production to divert some of the Marine production, but Mutas are still not a great "killing" army.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah it hasn't given me any problems really, but more than one person has done it to me so I didn't know if it was popular or something

M@v

Subarashii!
booted back to platinum wooooo. I dont have time to practice this game enough for diamond/master level play >_>

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
For the short time span where I was playing people Diamond felt relatively weak compared to before to me post-Masters introduction. Has the overall skill level of players risen since then?

Lazzarrath

Smash Cadet
For the short time span where I was playing people Diamond felt relatively weak compared to before to me post-Masters introduction. Has the overall skill level of players risen since then?
well the number of players active on bnet has been dropping ever since release and its usually casuals or less serious players who would quit first so I suppose its possible that there are just more skilled players left now? tbh that's sort of a guess though, I don't really have an answer for that :/

As for watching streams, what should I be looking at to learn from?

I want to try online multiplayer, lol. Too scared ._.
the main thing I watch streams for is usually build orders, gameplay tricks/tips are a bit harder to learn/pick up but you can do that as well, for example if you notice a pro always does X when they see A but not B, that sort of thing. It helps to just watch pro's play and when they do something try to figure out why they are doing it, what are they reacting too etc (assuming they aren't just commentating all their reasons anyway)

ladder fear is probably one of the most talked about issues in the community (at least as far as TL and r/sc go). Personally after several thousand games I still occasionally have issues with it. There are legitimately essays written on it, but one thing that helped me out a bit was just choosing a song to always start off practice sessions with, so on days where I don't feel like playing, but know I should, I can just play that song and it helps motivate me to start practicing or keep going if I feel like quitting (Probably not that helpful but who knows :/ ) if you search ladder anxiety on one of the bigger communities though you should find plenty of material from people with the same issue

M@v

Subarashii!
I think I'm going to go random for a while in 1v1 ladder once I hit 500 terran wins and get my thor pic.

-Terran is my most played
-I'm comfortable with toss and play them in team matches
-I've mostly neglected zerg, and Idk why because I love macroing hard and building huge armies.

Allied

Smash Master
booted back to platinum wooooo. I dont have time to practice this game enough for diamond/master level play >_>
what hapepned? you were doing so good

I think I'm going to go random for a while in 1v1 ladder once I hit 500 terran wins and get my thor pic.

-Terran is my most played
-I'm comfortable with toss and play them in team matches
-I've mostly neglected zerg, and Idk why because I love macroing hard and building huge armies.
I actually love zerg, first race main ever. theres alot of situation experience overall you need to gain to play zerg effectively and its a really frusterating race but past that with the current metagame they are the go to race. Infestors right now are so strong its nuts. Lings are good.
Tier 3 is even better.

The macroing part about zerg is the easiest, In 5 days i went from bronze to high diamond on another account last season just macroning and doing ling infestor as zerg in almost every matchup. I setup custom hotkeys to larve inject and droned, saw something coming, made stuff.

I talked to a masters zerg player what he does vs Terran is,

Scout early game for gases
Get up to 48ish drones
Make about 100 lings
continue to drone to 80
Procedes to make infestors while stopping any drops with 2 hotkey grouped lings
When infestors come out Ling infestor destroy any small push.
Counterattack when possible
get 20 ultras
win game

pretty crazy

Lazzarrath

Smash Cadet
Since when did winning involve using Ultralisks?
Summer 2010?
well players like stephano have helped to make them a lot more popular and in general zergs have been getting better at using them. they are starting to realize they can be very effective if handled right

M@v

Subarashii!
Ultras are actually pretty hard for terran to kill off unless they go units they easily get countered by other cheaper units.

Good example is marauders. Beat ultras, but get WRECKED by zerglings.

@ Allied. I honestly dont know. I've just been losing more and more and I really don't know what's going on. Its like no matter what I do, they are always better. If I'm played a Z, any pressure I put on usually gets wrecked then i'm behind. Sometimes I get a streak going, then it just goes crashing in on itself.

Like yesterday I started off like 6-0, but by the end of the day I had a losing record :/

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
If you have a problem with an infraction/warning, please contact the moderator who issued it.

Thank you.

Allied

Smash Master
If you have a problem with an infraction/warning, please contact the moderator who issued it.

Thank you.
You are a ****ing poon F8AL

an infraction before a warning when it doesn't matter.

very stupid
but w/e lmao

Lazzarrath

Smash Cadet
afaik it is okay to use macro keys as hotkeys or to rebind certain keys as well (ie. changing a macro key to make a marine etc) I don't believe blizzard looks favorably on macro keys that perform strings of actions. from the looks of some threads on the bnet forums, you cannot have any one key press perform more than one action. steelseries is the most used black switch mechanical from what I have seen.

the decision between mousepads is mostly just whether you want a hard pad or a cloth one. having used plastic and cloth pads before I can't say I preferred either one heavily, cloth ones are slightly more comfortable(only an issue if you are playing for long periods of time in one sitting) and more convenient for lans/easy transport, plastic/metal/glass w.e seemed to accumulate sweat or moisture a lot more, but they are a ton easier to clean, so there is that. gaming mousepads are better than freebies you get at a convention or something, but in general the cheap simple ones are more popular, even amongst pros.

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
Who plays zerg and is high diamond/low masters? I need more practice in that MU

Also are there any high diamond/low masters Terrans here that play a mech style against toss? I need help with that too.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

I'm looking at this, and that first one looks neat. Those Cherry MX Blacks.

Hmm... the Steelseries 6Gv2 looks to be good.

Btw, what's the SC standard on keyboards? Do they allow the use of built-in macro keys?

And any mousepad suggestions?
Quoting this because I'm at school and want to save this link for later.

I'm still playing this game on occasion, but I'll really get on it when I get done with the huge backlog of other games I have built up. I'm still playing Terran, if anyone's curious.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Quoting this because I'm at school and want to save this link for later.

I'm still playing this game on occasion, but I'll really get on it when I get done with the huge backlog of other games I have built up. I'm still playing Terran, if anyone's curious.
Look at DasKeyboards as well, I got the DasKeyboard ultimate silent (brown switches still loud lol) and haven't looked back. Most mechanical keyboards are great, although I do not like the Razr first gen. mechanical keyboards because they are flimsy. Das, Steelseries, Filco, etc. are very sturdy keyboards.

Blue and Brown switches seem to be the most common for rts, black/red/clear for fps. For the casual gamer I don't think it matters much though, the very switch from normal keyboards to mechanical was fun :D.

I wish I had more time to devote to this game, but I just feel like I would have to play so much (because of competitiveness) that it's so much easier to play games like league because of the skill cap.

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
Look at DasKeyboards as well, I got the DasKeyboard ultimate silent (brown switches still loud lol) and haven't looked back. Most mechanical keyboards are great, although I do not like the Razr first gen. mechanical keyboards because they are flimsy. Das, Steelseries, Filco, etc. are very sturdy keyboards.

Blue and Brown switches seem to be the most common for rts, black/red/clear for fps. For the casual gamer I don't think it matters much though, the very switch from normal keyboards to mechanical was fun :D.

I wish I had more time to devote to this game, but I just feel like I would have to play so much (because of competitiveness) that it's so much easier to play games like league because of the skill cap.

booooooo be manly and play the greatest competitive game ever! not LoL =/

I mean at the very least you can still play/be good team games without dedicating much time to practice....

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
It's been a whole week, but I got my Steelseries 6v2 and Qck+ mousepad.

I feel so awesome now, but I did not expect the Qck+ to be... BIG. The thing is bigger than my 17.3-inch laptop screen.

Should I start ladders or just keep practicing my openings until get them down really well?

I could never get into games like LoL or DotA b/c of the setting. I just like my outer space.

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
I would say get at least one BO down for each MU. You really only need one build to start. You can get to diamond at least by having a good BO and macroing well.

What do you play btw?

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
I would say get at least one BO down for each MU. You really only need one build to start. You can get to diamond at least by having a good BO and macroing well.

What do you play btw?

Top Bottom