• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Its my favorite match-up for a reason :D

I'm surprised PvZ is so spread tho, I didn't think it was that bad of a match-up. I suppose everything is ±5% so that means its balanced, right?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah, it's pretty reasonably balanced considering the graphs are built from TLPD winrates rather than stuff like ladder, and thus involve top level play. I was just surprised at the absurdly major change in TvP from significantly T favored to almost equally P favored in one month.

Allied

Smash Master
I hate tvp. hate it hate it hate it! xD

its just stressful because good protoss players are so scary

Thank god TvZ is so easy to me.

Also i haven't played again in so long because i dont even have a desk to play on anymore. i can't wait till the 10th i'll be able to play again :(. Moving sucks! all i do now is stream wii games

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I have a final in an hour and a half, but then i dont have anything to do until thursday. LOTS OF SC2 INCOMING

Lazzarrath

Smash Cadet
tvp is definitely my least favorite match up atm. the upgrade buffs are making it so obnoxious to play. my early game has gotten a lot better, but that might be because more toss are doing greedy early game play that I can punish :/
late game unless the toss player makes several major mistakes I have not had that much success. Love tvz though. can't wait for finals week to end -.-

Allied

Smash Master
tvp is definitely my least favorite match up atm. the upgrade buffs are making it so obnoxious to play. my early game has gotten a lot better, but that might be because more toss are doing greedy early game play that I can punish :/
late game unless the toss player makes several major mistakes I have not had that much success. Love tvz though. can't wait for finals week to end -.-
Yeah its really really really tough. Alot of mid game timing attacks are that much harder to pull off and depending on the map i usually force it to late game anyway because of the double upgrades.

Lategame is tough for me not like in the micro or anything but if i dont catch the tech switch its instant gg.

for example: he goes heavy collosis after a huge battle. i don't have enough vikings. Auto lose

Mass Archon, Chargelot after a huge battle. i don't have enough ghosts. Auto lose.

Thats generally how some of my tvp goes but lemme tell you its annoying not having the right amount of units at hand to deal with it. Especially Common Top level Terran mistake #1 - Not having enough marines lategame to deal with mass chargelots. I think i see 90% of terran players lose this way. Its like the #1 problem atm imo.

Lazzarrath

Smash Cadet
yeah the tech switches can be really brutal, I lose a lot of games that way as well. I just wish it was possible to punish dual forge builds anymore D:

F1SHY

Smash Apprentice
I'm really REALLY bad in PvT. Is the standard comp chargelot archon? I always go blink stalkers + colossi like its PvZ and get stomped by marauders.

Also, what's so bad about tanks in PvT?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Immortals and Zealots draw initial Siege fire to diminish a lot of that range advantage. Zealots, being beefy melee attack units, then end up making your tanks slaughter your own army due to splash. Immortals can cut through tanks like butter, 3-shotting them. Overall Tanks just don't do well in TvP. Thors are similarly troubled, especially with the Strike Cannon re-nerf. Mech is just really hard to pull off effectively in TvP at the moment.

Stalkers are somewhat weak cost-for-cost against the standard bio ball, due to being so fragile, but are necessary to shoot down Vikings to cover your Colossi, and to deal their damage while your Zealots buffer. Chargelots are amazing because they negate that initial bit of kiting and can eat a lot of damage due to being light (not getting bonus damaged by Marauders) while your ranged units like Colossi and Archons deal damage unhindered. Archons are obviously great against bio, but can also discourage Viking clumping. High Templar do their thing, denying EMPs with Feedback, dealing major damage to Medivac drops also with Feedback, throwing down Storms, and turning into Archons. Colossi is pretty much Protoss' standard splash unit, but weakness to Vikings makes it a risk to rely on them in the late game unless you already forced a tech-switch to Ghosts to deal with a Zealot/Archon/HT-heavy composition; in the mid-game, it seems four or five is a good number because it's enough to definitely force Vikings but doesn't let the Terran decimate your entire army by just massing Vikings. Sentries are good all the time because Force Fields are OP and Guardian Shields do a lot in weakening Marine fire, which is the chief source of DPS from a Terran bio army.

Most of this is just thoughts based on observation rather than playing, though, so you'll have to get a lot figured out from your own experience.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Im not really sure why tanks are bad, since nobody does it really. It probably has something to do with mobility as well as the fact that collosus have a lot of range so can standoff vs tanks really well (tanks cant really unseige and move forward cause if they do then P just kills them).

I think thors are really good in the MU tho and probably should be used more than they are.

edit- what ankoku said too. I was thinking late game while i think he was thinking more mid game

Double post so people see this!

I'm gathering people to watch GSL together on skype. If you're going to be awake you should join us!

http://www.gomtv.net/live/index.gom?conid=66571

Allied

Smash Master
yeah ankoku hit it on the head.

Tanks are good for early game defense and timing pushes thats about it.

like 1-1-1!

other than that they are poopie

I dont think people get thors because. they just cost too much and take away from something else you might get at the moment (more vikings, ghosts) also they are too expensive for easily they get taken down (emp, focus fire).

Lazzarrath

Smash Cadet
mech in general is pretty bad tvp. tank hellion can work to some degree if your opponent doesnt react or change their army comp, but once they start adding in immortals, archons and chargelots its all over. hellions are great against zealots if the hellions get off the first shots before the zealots use their charge, once they use their charge they naturally spread out to some degree so the splash damage is heavily mitigated. then the zealots own damage combined with splash makes quick work of tanks, especially if they are clumped up. immortals are pretty straight forward great against mech, they crush tank lines and if they have some support against the hellions they will have no issues, then archons tank sooooooo much damage from tanks. thor hellion was super popular and good after thorzain popularized it and before the energy change, after that it wasn't as effective and people in general got better at facing and dealing with mech play.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
I actually like that Mech isn't good in TvP because that's all I saw in the BW days. But mech can be useful in every other matchup. And marine/banshee into BC would be awesome to see but it would be a difficult transition.

:phone:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
There was like 1 week where the metagame shifted to mech in TvP then it disappeared instantly. I have been waiting for the shift back just for the viewing pleasure

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Just try something silly like 1rax expand into 3rax+4port (make a Raven from your first Starport before making the next 3, to sweep for Obs and deny scouting) Marine/Banshee, pressure your way into a third base and transition to BCs since you already have a lot of Starports by this point. It probably won't work much but it'll be funny when you pull it off.

Allied

Smash Master
Try Marine Banshee into Battlecruiser.
i do this at times xD its not reliable(at least for me) though.

I actually like that Mech isn't good in TvP because that's all I saw in the BW days. But mech can be useful in every other matchup. And marine/banshee into BC would be awesome to see but it would be a difficult transition.

:phone:
i just get bored of marine marauder ghost medivac viking. snoreeeeeeee

give me something else! give me some other units! fuuuu

Allied

Smash Master
For anyone Diamond or Above

if you would like to be apart of a video involving Heart of the Swarm. Let me know i'm looking for people especially if you play Protoss or Zerg to help me experiment with the new stuff in HOTS custom. I haven't done one in a while because of my surgery and also because of me moving (i don't have a table to play on anymore). So if you are interested just respond back i'll depending on your race i'll let u know what i want.

For example Sveet Protoss - I want him to give me a replay demonstrating a great use of Arc Shield.

etc etc

Also if anyone is interested in getting a replay of theirs casted let me know, same as i said above Diamond+ and let me be interesting!

dat doublepost

Allied

Smash Master
I have a feeling this is some sort of reminder :rolleyes:

I'll try and grab someone today to play a few with
oh no no no idc if you do it or not xD if you don't do it. I do it. But my protoss is like low diamond top of plat so its not that cool to see me wing it. xD

thats why i prefer better players

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
my protoss isnt much better than that :p

Thread revival. We have 2.5 hours to play in order to get lighthouse points? Anyone wanna play? I have an 8am final but I wouldnt mind playing teams, FFA, practice games, customs, w/e. DON'T LET ME DOWN!!!!!!

Allied

Smash Master
Sorry i would of played when you posted if i could of :(

Yay for moving i get to play sc2 again hopfully :D

Allied

Smash Master
deal lool

btw i'm in nyc i can play again
left for airport at 7:30am
got to home in nyc at 9pm

>___>

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
lolol

ur never on AIM! I've been playing a lot of mass effect the last couple of days so i havent been on as much. R u on bnet right now?

Allied

Smash Master
i am on nao 1 day later.

My macro is terrible but still enough to beat masters zergs so i'm happy.

I still think my TvT is my best
TvZ second best and TvP 3rd best

Gonna be trying to play HOTS custom alot to make moar videos if anyone wants to help or play let me kn0

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah it mostly just refers to the game at really early times, before any conflict where the build is static. Like I have a build I use in PvT every time which has me get a nexus on exactly 27 food (including 1 zealot and 1 stalker)

Top Bottom