• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Tropics' Mike J. for SSBB

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Well it only makes sense that there would be a plethora of Japanese-exclusive characters mentioned in the selected user comments he posted in his Toukouken considering that it was conducted IN JAPAN. And I didn't say that Sakurai said he was ruling out Japan-only characters altogether, just that he wasn't giving them as high of a priority. Now I understand that Nintendo characters from games released outside of Japan are more likely to be overlooked, but Sakurai did say something along the lines that he was looking to characters with 'international appeal'. Whatever he meant by that is up for debate, but if he is referring to international releases, keep in mind that Star Tropics is in fact an international release. At any rate, as far as Nintendo characters from 'outside of Japan' are concerned, Mike Jones stands the best chance. Now I admit that still makes his chance for inclusion long shot, but I think we all know by now that Sakurai is quite an unpredictable character.

Also, I fail to see how Japan getting their exclusive characters while great characters from outside Nippon remain neglected a win-win situation... Ah well...
It's not the point that he added Japan Only characters to his interest list, it's that he added some of them several times after saying that he wasn't going to give them much priority, but even still, there aren't THAT many more noteworthy franchises under Nintendo's belt that can join in the Brawl, and expansions in already well established franchises aren't that interesting to me. International appeal most likely means characters that would appeal to people everywhere, just because of their concept, or characters well received everywhere, which is why we OBVIOUSLY got Ike.
The game is made in Japan, it's going to get THE MOST influence from there (and he didn't even bother getting suggestions from other countries), it's not being made here. Would you like it better if they made the game Japan exclusive? So yes it's a win-win, we get characters we want, they get characters they want and THEN some, but the game is made in JAPAN of course we most likely wouldn't be getting any favors. It's like asking for a non-Japan third party character to get in, it's just not gonna happen.

parrothead

Smash Lord
It's not the point that he added Japan Only characters to his interest list, it's that he added some of them several times after saying that he wasn't going to give them much priority, but even still, there aren't THAT many more noteworthy franchises under Nintendo's belt that can join in the Brawl, and expansions in already well established franchises aren't that interesting to me. International appeal most likely means characters that would appeal to people everywhere, just because of their concept, or characters well received everywhere, which is why we OBVIOUSLY got Ike.
The game is made in Japan, it's going to get THE MOST influence from there (and he didn't even bother getting suggestions from other countries), it's not being made here. Would you like it better if they made the game Japan exclusive? So yes it's a win-win, we get characters we want, they get characters they want and THEN some, but the game is made in JAPAN of course we most likely wouldn't be getting any favors. It's like asking for a non-Japan third party character to get in, it's just not gonna happen.
Does this even mean that StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II will not be released for the Virtual Console?

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
@parrothead: Thanks for clarifying the Mike-Ness comparison issue - and a cool scan to boot. Also, I'm quite sure that both Star Tropics titles will be available on the VC in the near future.

@Oldskool: Perhaps it hasn't occured to you that Mr. Sakurai has made it quite clear that he did not want to feature only popular (or "noteworthy", if you will) franchises in his Brawl (and we aren't forgeting the inclusion of the Ice Climbers in Melee, are we?). And even though he may have not conducted an equivalent to the Toukouken outside of Japan, I wouldn't outright claim that " he didn't even bother getting suggestions from other countries" - after all, the first suggestions he took were immediately following the E3 2006 trailer presentation (which was in the U.S., by the way), and besides we simply don't know how how and Sakurai and Co. operate, so it's just foolish to make assumptions like that. But whatever, you go right on ahead and root for your noteworthy, interesting, Japan-exclusive, or whatever franchises and I'll continue to anticipate that Mr. Sakurai will indeed look beyond the well-known and Japan's borders for inspiration, despite the odds not being the most favorable...

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
*bump*

For some of you who think that Mike would be the clone of Ness, let me tell you why Mike isn't much like Ness:

* Mike's island yo-yo isn't always his main weapon. It's like the Iron Swords and Rapiers in the Fire Emblem series, the Wooden Sword in the first Zelda, and the sword of Link's Uncle in A Link to the Past. It never will become your main weapon throughout StarTropics. However, it will be used again when Mike is low in hearts. Mike's other main weapons, the Shooting Star and the Super Nova, are more like flails. In the SSB series, Adult Link uses the Master Sword (in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess), Marth uses the Falcion (a.k.a. Sword of Light), and Roy uses the Sword of Seals. The swords they use are obtained later in the games they originated from.

This image below is from the instruction manual of Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II, which shows Mike using a weapon that looks similar to flails:

For the other weapons and moves Mike can use:

* Mike's Shockwave moves aren't much like Ness's PK/PSI moves, because Mike's Shockwave moves are more about magic than psychic. However, according to the plot of Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II, Mike uses his mind to cast his Shockwave moves.
* All the weapons Mike and Ness both have are baseball bats, slingshots, and yo-yos. Mike's other weapons besides the ones I mentioned earlier are:

Fire Sticks (just plain sticks on fire)
Snowman Dolls (they don't damage, but they freeze anyone)
Bolas (just plain bolas. They go across the screen in StarTropics, but they don't in Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II)
Mirrors (for reflecting attacks)
Spikes (a.k.a. Spiked Cleats)
Astericks (a weapon that can be thrown and either hit twice as hard, or throw them, then hit a button again and split them on a 90degree angle in opposite directions.
Horse Hyde (which is a baseball)
Lazer Gun (a quite generic laser pistol that shoots long range blasts)
Super Lazer Gun (Super Lazer Guns are more powerful than the Lazer Guns, but don't have a wide range. What's great about this weapon is the fact that it fires in a three block width. It's good for those enemies that you wish you could hit on an angle)
Rocks (just plain rocks that do little damage)
Tink's Axe (first real weapon in Zoda's Revenge)
Cleopatra's Bronze Dagger (second real weapon in Zoda's Revenge)
Spike Disks (just plain spike disks. They are like frisbees with spikes on the sides)
Leondardo Da Vinci's Katana (third and last real weapon in Zoda's Revenge.)
3-Way Shot (shoots three spiked spheres at once: one toward the left, one toward the right, and one straight forward)

AND

* Mike is American, while Ness is Japanese.
Cool, thanks Parrothead!

A flail, eh? Never seen a SSB character use one of those.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Anyways, now that that's hopefully over with, it's time to get this thread back on a positive note...

Having recently beaten Star Tropics (finally... >.<; ), I am more convinced than ever of Mike Jones making an excellent addition to the Brawl roster.
Long shot yes, but one that will be more than worth it. Mike J. FTW!

Sinn

Smash Lord
Those last areas are kind of a *****, aren't they? What has made you even more certain of his awesomeness? And if you just recently beat the first one, have you already beaten the second one, or no?

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Those last areas are kind of a *****, aren't they? What has made you even more certain of his awesomeness? And if you just recently beat the first one, have you already beaten the second one, or no?
Oh god... The dungeons in the last three chapters just so freakin' frustrating, especially the first dungeon in Chapter 7.
And that final boss (Zoda's true form?) was the most annoying hopscotch match ever... :psycho: Still, it was an amazing game -
makes me all the more sad Nintendo hasn't done anything with the franchise for the past 13 years...

And I'm a ways yet from completing Star Tropics II - just started, in fact (defeated Yum-Yum earlier today).

Sinn

Smash Lord
I will risk blasphemy and claim that STII is more fun overall for the simple amount of variety that you get to see. The overworld puzzles aren't anything close to what they were in the first game (aside from...well...when you see the monkey, you'll know what I'm talking about).

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I will risk blasphemy and claim that STII is more fun overall for the simple amount of variety that you get to see. The overworld puzzles aren't anything close to what they were in the first game (aside from...well...when you see the monkey, you'll know what I'm talking about).
I will admit that I am liking the controls in STII a lot more so far (namely the ability to move and jump diagonally).

Sinn

Smash Lord
Ah yes, that was a big one too. Ah, VC, I need you to bring your StarTropics to me now...

Seriously...they could make an EPIC sequel if they tried. Like...I'm not even joking. I'm sure that Mike is in college by now or out of it. What better way for the game to start off than for Mike to be shown pitching at some major league game when careening out of the sky onto the field is a giant spaceship? Well, there are probably a few better ways...but that would still be Hella awesome.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
@parrothead: Thanks for clarifying the Mike-Ness comparison issue - and a cool scan to boot. Also, I'm quite sure that both Star Tropics titles will be available on the VC in the near future.

@Oldskool: Perhaps it hasn't occured to you that Mr. Sakurai has made it quite clear that he did not want to feature only popular (or "noteworthy", if you will) franchises in his Brawl (and we aren't forgeting the inclusion of the Ice Climbers in Melee, are we?). And even though he may have not conducted an equivalent to the Toukouken outside of Japan, I wouldn't outright claim that " he didn't even bother getting suggestions from other countries" - after all, the first suggestions he took were immediately following the E3 2006 trailer presentation (which was in the U.S., by the way), and besides we simply don't know how how and Sakurai and Co. operate, so it's just foolish to make assumptions like that. But whatever, you go right on ahead and root for your noteworthy, interesting, Japan-exclusive, or whatever franchises and I'll continue to anticipate that Mr. Sakurai will indeed look beyond the well-known and Japan's borders for inspiration, despite the odds not being the most favorable...
I don't see how being realistic is foolish. I wouldn't even consider him taking those suggestions after the trailer seriously. Master chief was mentioned. It was in the Japanese suggestions were he TOOK THE TIME to elaborate on the details of character inclusions. I said it many times and I'll say it again. I'm gald he made the Toukouken for Japan and didn't give a SERIOUS poll to any other country. Based on my cruising sugestion threads, the roster would be trash. But my main point is that he won't be giving US any exclusive characters anytime soon.

Of course I never said Mike Jones being in would be a reason for it being trash, I'm just saying that he's so unlikely and there is no objective proof that he was even considered and hype thread will only set people up for dissapointment.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I don't see how being realistic is foolish. I wouldn't even consider him taking those suggestions after the trailer seriously. Master chief was mentioned. It was in the Japanese suggestions were he TOOK THE TIME to elaborate on the details of character inclusions. I said it many times and I'll say it again. I'm gald he made the Toukouken for Japan and didn't give a SERIOUS poll to any other country. Based on my cruising sugestion threads, the roster would be trash. But my main point is that he won't be giving US any exclusive characters anytime soon.

Of course I never said Mike Jones being in would be a reason for it being trash, I'm just saying that he's so unlikely and there is no objective proof that he was even considered and hype thread will only set people up for dissapointment.
Hmmm... For a while there, I thought you had finally got this out of your system... Ah well...

Anyways, I do find it interesting that you think the Japanese would do a better job with character suggests than any of the other countries would have - perhaps you missed the ones about Link's Uncle, Blue Virus, and James Bond... and if you were TRULY realistic, then you'd realize that your Japan exclusive characters aren't quite the shoe-ins that you seem to think... But whatever. Instead of reminding us over and over how little a chance this character has at appearing it into the game - a fact most of us are in fact AWARE OF - why don't you just stick with the support threads for your character hopefuls, and allow us to continue supporting ours.

And MegatronPwnsYou, that stopped being funny a LONG time ago...

Geo Cloaking

Smash Rookie
so funny Megatron, but i think, yes, Mike Jhones got his own talent for Brawl. The Taunt of bananas is perfect.

About of Mike the rapper, the character got that little influence for be accord to the age. a new jacket and a rustik cap, may be, but he is not like a rapper XD.

The yoyo is so repetitive, and some attacks is similar to a Ness clone, but if Mike use his technices of a original mode, it may be works. For example, use the Super Psychic Shockwave for hit and throw the oponent, nice submition, works like a energy ball of samus but not need charge, so effective. Some move like use the Laser pistol for a grab attack, some people would want use the laser pistol for realise simple moves.

Congratulations, the Mike Jhones character got the all moves and creative that need, only hope that mike appear in brawl (i not promise nothing about, the list is effective, but need that some people of the real work see it).

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
HEY EVERYONE! MIKA IS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK! Just to let you all know that I'll be posting some more Mike Jones art soon.
And I agree with Geo Cloaking about the yo-yo. Hmmmm....maybe Mike can use his Flail (Either the Shooting Star or Super Nova). That would be awesome!

Sinn

Smash Lord
I think the flail thing would be a fantastical weapon for him, personally. Though having a special that makes use of the katana would just be too awesome...and I would need to main him if they included it.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*bump*

I have a feeling that not even a single mention of anyone or anything from the StarTropics series will be in SSBB. Why? Nintendo is a Japanese company, while the StarTropics series was only released in America and Europe, and didn't become very popular (which is why this forum doesn't have many members). However, Mike probably was one of the most requested obscure characters in Nintendo of America's and Nintendo of Europe's online forums (both now defunct), which Sakurai said he will check them out along with the Japanese poll. If no one or nothing from the StarTropics series doesn't appear in SSBB, and if neither StarTropics title doesn't become available for the Wii's Virtual Console, then I guess this means that the StarTropics series is D-E-A-D. This is no offense, but I starting to feel guilty about this.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
*bump*

I have a feeling that not even a single mention of anyone or anything from the StarTropics series will be in SSBB. Why? Nintendo is a Japanese company, while the StarTropics series was only released in America and Europe, and didn't become very popular (which is why this forum doesn't have many members). However, Mike probably was one of the most requested obscure characters in Nintendo of America's and Nintendo of Europe's online forums (both now defunct), which Sakurai said he will check them out along with the Japanese poll. If no one or nothing from the StarTropics series doesn't appear in SSBB, and if neither StarTropics title doesn't become available for the Wii's Virtual Console, then I guess this means that the StarTropics series is D-E-A-D. This is no offense, but I starting to feel guilty about this.

just two quick notes... startropics 1 & 2 and super mario bros. 1-3 = my childhood... i remember that my mother said if i ever beat mario bros 1 without warps she'd buy me that game right there.... 5 hours later startropics 2 music was stuck in my head... so much nostalgia.... anyways, if the big n decided to completely ignore an entire franchise (albeit a somewhat obscure one) they would be setting themselves up for a supreme fail. I bet many of nintendo's longtime followers are from this era and no doubt if even one of these series that were memorable for all the right reasons were to get downplayed like that, then there's no point in boasting about virtual console, just my two cents....

also - the theme for the first dungeon in startropics 2, the boss fights, as well as the zoda-x battle (couldn't find one but it's kickass)=
ULTIMATE WIN!!!! i haven't gotten these tunes outta my head since i first played it in '94
... i gotta get my sig up.... MIKE JONES FOR BRAWL!! FTW!!!

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
No, with the inclusion of assist trophies Link's uncle would be an AWESOME idea. I'm not saying ALL those characters will be playable. I'm saying all of them are good IDEAS even if they just end up as stickers. I LOVE the idea love assist trophies. They let us enjoy characters who don't have a big enough moveset/fanbase to become playable.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
This would be a good suprise add... so would be the Duck Hunt Dog...

the duck hunt dog.... i could see him as a hilarious assist trophy... he'd either jump behind the nearest bush and when someone walks by, he'd maul them, lol, or you'd hear a gun cocking in the distance and whoever's nearby would be caught in a shotgun blast with him doing the thumbs up from duck hunt (iono why as i write this both of these sound so violent)

sorry for being off topic, i couldnt help it

volbound1700

Smash Master
the duck hunt dog.... i could see him as a hilarious assist trophy... he'd either jump behind the nearest bush and when someone walks by, he'd maul them, lol, or you'd hear a gun cocking in the distance and whoever's nearby would be caught in a shotgun blast with him doing the thumbs up from duck hunt (iono why as i write this both of these sound so violent)

sorry for being off topic, i couldnt help it
Check out his thread, few pages back. He has a thread, I am going to find it to bump it here in a second.

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
Mike Jones is one weird thing, a japanese character made just for the western audiences...

Still he really should be in Brawl.

parrothead

Smash Lord
^^ What would He do throw bananas at you?
*parrothead roughly sighs*

Don't just look at him, look at his attacks and moves by playing StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II. Otherwise, watch some StarTropics videos on YouTube.

parrothead

Smash Lord
His taunt should be drinking coffee from Starbucks. Because he's from Seattle. Get it? GET IT?
XD

Well, Mike doesn't have anything to do with Starbucks, other than having their homes in the same city. Nintendo of America is located in Redmond, Washington, which is next to Seattle. Also, Nintendo owns the Seattle Mariners, which is why they decided to make the Ken Griffey Jr. video games with the support of Software Creations and Rareware. This is probably one think that Mike was inspired by. Mike and the StarTropics series is also inspired by the Indiana Jones series.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I recall when I first played StarTropics 2 and the cave guy made that joke about the "southpaw reliever" I had no idea what it was talking about. I'm fairly baseball stupid. Well, all sports really.

Doesn't Nintendo own something else Seattle based...? I seem to recall that for some reason. Personally, I'm all for Nintendo owning the world because I love them so much.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Now that I look at what happen to Little Mac (ticks me off). I would say Mike's only chance of getting into an arena is through assist. Honestly, it's like Sakurai is using other countries suggestions to help fill up the assist roster.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Well...that said, if I don't get Mike but still get Lip, then I will yet be pleased. But that kinda bites...poor Little Mac. Even if I didn't think he had much for a creative moveset if they were going to make him do nothing but punch like a boxer is supposed to.

Was he 3D or 2D from the AT?

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Well...that said, if I don't get Mike but still get Lip, then I will yet be pleased. But that kinda bites...poor Little Mac. Even if I didn't think he had much for a creative moveset if they were going to make him do nothing but punch like a boxer is supposed to.

Was he 3D or 2D from the AT?
According to Algus over at the new NSider2 Forums (he has an account here as well, but doesn't seem to use it that often...), Mac utilizes a full 3D model, but I don't know his sources so I can't back that up...

parrothead

Smash Lord
*bump*

Author: shinigamihedgehog from the C-Island forum and NSider forum. Also known as Diegichigo at deviantART.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
wow, they did a good job translating mike into a more brawl worthy form.

Top Bottom