• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Tropics' Mike J. for SSBB

GenG

Smash Lord
Takeda doesn't need a representative since he made the console in which this game runs.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Well, if StarTropics and perhaps Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II are seriously going to be released for Virtual Consoles worldwide, then this could mean they are doing this, because Sakurai probably added something from the StarTropics series itself. The Dojo website said "Virtual Console" in a couple of updates.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Mike Jones definitely needs to make an appearance. I'd like to have him as a playable character. His costume selection would primarily be based on Startropics 2, but with the main outfit from ST1 as one of the choices. His moveset would be based on the two games.

However, if he does appear, he'll be an assist trophy.

Face it, we need another Startropics game.

GenG

Smash Lord
Oh psheh... That's like saying Sakurai doesn't need a representative because he made the game. C'mon, GenG... I've come to expect so much more from you...
I mean... they won't pick any character just to rep someone. That's wishful thinking. Does that mean that every renowned Nintendo producer/director/designer has to have a rep in the game?

The characters are there because they are popular and requested by fans, not just to praise a certain individual.

Seriously, I don't have high hopes on Mike. I just want to see both Startropics to be acknowledged in any form possible (trophy, asssist, music...).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Last time I checked, Sakurai likes to put in characters that HE likes as well and not just those who won "Miss Popularity" contest.

*coughcoughDr.MarioIceClimberscough*

There's also a chance of advenrizing (yeah, VC, so?) like he did with Roy.

I'm not trying to sound as if his probability is very high. I'm trying to say his probability isn't as low as people think, since 99% of people here judge characters by popularity.

Sure, StarTropics has been placed the 1st most overlooked Nintendo franchise of all... But there's no reason why Sakurai nor Nintendo wouldn't use that as an advantage (specially Sakurai, who likes to mock us a lot. :D)

Who knows.. maybe this time "Unimportant" franchises could be introduced in Brawl (in very very few numbers) just like Retro (IC G&W) and Newcoming games (Roy) were represented in Melee.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I mean... they won't pick any character just to rep someone. That's wishful thinking. Does that mean that every renowned Nintendo producer/director/designer has to have a rep in the game?

The characters are there because they are popular and requested by fans, not just to praise a certain individual.

Seriously, I don't have high hopes on Mike. I just want to see both Startropics to be acknowledged in any form possible (trophy, asssist, music...).
Shin and I never said that every renowned developer should have a rep, just that Mr. Takeda certainly merits one. And not all characters are popular (Ice Climbers) and not even all are highly requested (Mr. Game & Watch). But don't get the wrong idea, as most of us Mike supporters are painfully aware of how low his chances are at actually making the Brawl roster. Still, doesn't hurt for us to show our enthusiasm for the character, now does it?

Anyways, I apologize for the misunderstanding GenG. I've always have the utmost respect for your insights.

HollabackRyu

Smash Journeyman
Last time I checked, Sakurai likes to put in characters that HE likes as well and not just those who won "Miss Popularity" contest.

*coughcoughDr.MarioIceClimberscough*

There's also a chance of advenrizing (yeah, VC, so?) like he did with Roy.

I'm not trying to sound as if his probability is very high. I'm trying to say his probability isn't as low as people think, since 99% of people here judge characters by popularity.

Sure, StarTropics has been placed the 1st most overlooked Nintendo franchise of all... But there's no reason why Sakurai nor Nintendo wouldn't use that as an advantage (specially Sakurai, who likes to mock us a lot. :D)

Who knows.. maybe this time "Unimportant" franchises could be introduced in Brawl (in very very few numbers) just like Retro (IC G&W) and Newcoming games (Roy) were represented in Melee.
this is all bs.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Shin ain't lying Ryu. Just recently, it took the #1 spot for The Top Five Franchises That Nintendo Forgot over at ripten: http://www.ripten.com/2007/12/07/ros...ntendo-forgot/

And he's right about people like you thinking that this is a goddamm popularity contest. It's not, and I can't wait to see your reaction when Sakurai makes it painfully obvious that you guys have been wrong the entire time...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
/ignores ignorant noob

Lord_Deathborn:
Yeah. Still being #1 most overlooked isn't what I'd call a merit... But I like to stick more to Sakurai liking the character, for his inclusion, rather than getting in for a humilliating #1 underrated merit... ._. XD
IDK.. it'd be kinda weird...

"Yay!!! More underrated FTW!!" :p Oh well.. XD I don't care what he represents as long as he gets in. :)

(and for the ignorant noobs: I won't feel the least disappointed if he makes it in as an AT, so STFU if you're gonna go laughing when he becomes an AT. It'll be ME laughing for ST getting another step closer to resurrection, even if the step was a small one)

parrothead

Smash Lord
Top 5 most forgotten Nintendo franchises.

SOURCE

5.- Pilotwings

4.- Super Mario RPG (Part of the Mario series)

3.- Wrecking Crew (Again, part of the Mario series)

2.- The Adventures of Lolo (Which is owned by Hal Laboratory more than Nintendo)

1.- StarTropics

Not by fans, but by Nintendo.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion

SOURCE

5.- Pilotwings

2.- The Adventures of Lolo (Which is owned by Hal Laboratory more than Nintendo)

1.- StarTropics

It annoys me just a tad bit that not one, but two Mario spin-off series made that list. And it's Square, not Nintendo, that's to blame for SMRPG being 'forgotten'. Nintendo did what it could to fill the void with Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi. I otherwise agree with the list though, but I serious think Punch-Out!! and Battle Clash should be on that list in place of SMRPG and Wrecking Crew. And for # 6 - 10, I'd list Duck Hunt, Mach Rider, Gumshoe, Mole Mania, and Wild Gunman.

Still, it's nice to see more people promoting Star Tropics.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero

SOURCE

5.- Pilotwings

1.- StarTropics

Pilot Wings at number 5? Hell, I'd place that at number two right behind Wave Race. Star Tropics at number four behind Super Mario RPG (all I'm asking for is a sequel).

parrothead

Smash Lord
Some Japan-only titles might be overlooked. The first one I could think of is Time Twist for the Famicom Disk System.

Has anyone considered that with each installment of SSB, we'll have to introduce more and more playable characters from smaller series?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yes we have. =3

Cause adding more characters from established franchises already, makes little to no sense.

So I believe we will be seeing more characters from smaller titles.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Star Tropics isn't exactly a "small" series though. It was actually a pretty big title for its time. Sure it may have never quite entered the mainstream, but it was way more significant than games like say Ice Climber at any rate...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yeah.. Would be awesome. But I have the feeling that if Sakurai came across this character with enough time on his hands, he could've included him. But if he came across Mike only recently, there's a big chance he'll be an AT.

But yeah. I've set my mindset to believe he'll be an AT. Just wondering which attack they'll give him, having dozens of possible moves to choose from...

My guess is he'll either use a devastating yoyo combo, or the cleats to pummel all enemies.

And I agree with what Lord_Deathborn said. This game was actually pretty big in its time... But with other series getting more attention/sequels, ST eventually fade into obscureness. Even worse when they released the sequel, at a time that the SNES ruled the Earth. :p

DGK all day

Smash Apprentice
yea it was the second to last game relased on the NES. Any ways does any body think his icon should be 747? lol if any one knows what im talking about

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Not that this bears any direct relevance to Mike's chances in Brawl, but... StarTropics is hitting the Wii Virtual Console this Monday! W00t! Interestingly enough, it's the same day that the DOJO updates resume. Coincidence? Yes, entirely. But still, at the very least this proves to us that this great series is not forgotten.

Source: http://gonintendo.com/?p=32778

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Not that this bears any direct relevance to Mike's chances in Brawl, but... StarTropics is hitting the Wii Virtual Console this Monday! W00t! Interestingly enough, it's the same day that the DOJO updates resume. Coincidence? Yes, entirely. But still, at the very least this proves to us that this great series is not forgotten.

Source: http://gonintendo.com/?p=32778
Deathborne, man! I was just gonna post that >.<

But seriously: Sin and Punishment was added just prior to Saki. And the only reason we got Kid Icarus so early because of Pit. Can this be foreshadowing of, at the very least, a really awesome and nostalgic Assist Trophy? :laugh:

RegalBuster

Smash Lord

But seriously: Sin and Punishment was added just prior to Saki. And the only reason we got Kid Icarus so early because of Pit. Can this be foreshadowing of, at the very least, a really awesome and nostalgic Assist Trophy? :laugh:
Or even better a great playable character.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm gonna go pessimistic now, but even if there's no AT, nor Character, I GUARANTEE we'll at least listen to a music score from Startropics.

Now being optimistic, I think it's a very interesting coincindence to have both ST for the VC, AND the updates resuming on the same day. :D ... "A great playable character"... QFT.

At least Startropics will be getting a lot more attention starting Monday. I expect this thread to be bumped constantly.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I'm gonna go pessimistic now, but even if there's no AT, nor Character, I GUARANTEE we'll at least listen to a music score from Startropics.

Now being optimistic, I think it's a very interesting coincindence to have both ST for the VC, AND the updates resuming on the same day. :D ... "A great playable character"... QFT.

At least Startropics will be getting a lot more attention starting Monday. I expect this thread to be bumped constantly.
Oh, a song is definite. Especially with stages like Delfino Plaza and The Summit, which resemble locales from StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge so well.

I mean, X is very likely meant for the Star Fox stage. Just the same as we are going to hear Balloon Trip on The Summit.

Dgro

Smash Cadet
I love Mike Jones and StarTropics! I have to say, the Ice Climbers' inclusion pissed me off a little, cuz there's a lot of lesser known characters who actually came from good games. Mike being one of them.

I'd flip out if he's so much as an Assist Trophy ^_^

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wasn't really mad at the Ice Climbers inclusion. At least that was proof Sakurai still cared for older games..

Who I really was pissed at was NESS. When a friend of mine used him, I saw the Yoyo.. then the Bat... then the PK Fire (could've mistaken it for the torch if Ness wouldn't have yelled "PK FIRE").

I remember thinking... "Who's Ness? Where's MIKE!!?" .. oh I was so mad back then... But the game was so revolutionary and fun, I decided to use him in memory of Mike. I actually got very good with him, and tried to keep him my main when trascending to Melee.

Well, I rather honor Mike by actually PLAYING as him this time, or having him as an AT "if he can't quite make it as a playable character" than playing as someone who's NOT him.

I'm sorry to say that half of me wishes that Lucas replaces Ness, cause I don't want to see another yoyo-smashing, bat-swinging character who's not Mike anymore. :p (And we really need Mother 3 to shine a lot more. I've been waiting for that game to hit western shores since forever...)

I have a great feeling about tomorrow.. but then again, it could just be me excited about Startropics on the VC. :D

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I know what I'm buying today. ;)

I'm very excited with the possibility of seeing Mike on the DOJO! My guess at this point would be AT, but I would be more than happy to see him at all in the first place. And yes, StarTropics music is a MUST! *hums the dungeon theme*

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't know how I'm gonna live through today without thinking about Startropics.

I can't wait to get my a$$ back home and buy the game, lie down on my bed, and play all night!!

My thumbs are already trembling, lol.

I'd be happy with a Dungeon song in Brawl.. But I'd also like to have a Startropics medley. (Or perhapsa Zoda's Revenge Dungeon Medley). Even if there's no ST stage... we can MAKE one. :D At least I know I will. :)

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion

HOLY HELL! Flip's back?! This must be a sign of the Apocalypse or something... :chuckle: Welcome back, dude!

Those are some interesting points to consider, but yeah, it seems that a Mike AT is about the best we can hope for at the moment. Guess we'll just have to wait and see though...

I wasn't really mad at the Ice Climbers inclusion. At least that was proof Sakurai still cared for older games..

Who I really was pissed at was NESS. When a friend of mine used him, I saw the Yoyo.. then the Bat... then the PK Fire (could've mistaken it for the torch if Ness wouldn't have yelled "PK FIRE").

I remember thinking... "Who's Ness? Where's MIKE!!?" .. oh I was so mad back then... But the game was so revolutionary and fun, I decided to use him in memory of Mike. I actually got very good with him, and tried to keep him my main when trascending to Melee.

Well, I rather honor Mike by actually PLAYING as him this time, or having him as an AT "if he can't quite make it as a playable character" than playing as someone who's NOT him.

I'm sorry to say that half of me wishes that Lucas replaces Ness, cause I don't want to see another yoyo-smashing, bat-swinging character who's not Mike anymore. :p (And we really need Mother 3 to shine a lot more. I've been waiting for that game to hit western shores since forever...)

I have a great feeling about tomorrow.. but then again, it could just be me excited about Startropics on the VC. :D
Now there's a hard core Star Tropics fan for ya. :grin:

I too still hope for the opportunity to actually PLAY as Mike, but seeing how many likely character choices have already gotten the axe, things really don't bode to well for the less-than-likely lot - which happens to be over half of my Brawl hopefuls... *sigh* If Mike doesn't make it onto the roster, which seems to be the most likely outcome, I only hope that he's made into a snazzy enough AT to garner enough interest in him and the Star Tropics series for his inclusion on the roster for SSB4...

parrothead

Smash Lord
In the "Items" section of the Operations Guide for StarTropics, the items are titled as:

Island Star (also known as the Island Yo-Yo)
Shooting Star
Supernova
Fire (which y'all either called it the Torch or the Fire Stick)
Baseball Bat
Slingshot
Bola (which it is also called the "Twister" in the same guide)
Wonder Horsehide (Baseball) (which used to be simply called "Horsehyde")
Super Laser Gun
Mega Laser Gun
Asterisk (which was also called "Twin Cross-Blades" in the same guide, while y'all spelled and called it as "Astericks". "Astericks" is a misspelling, while "Asterisk" is not, according to the Mozilla Firefox web browser I'm using).
Spikes
Big Heart
Anklet
Lantern
Medicine
Miracle Mirror (which y'all just called it the "Mirror")
Rod of Sight (which y'all called it the "Magic Wand")
Snowman Doll
Stars
Stop/Slow (which y'all called it the "Clock")
Try-Your-Luck Sign (which y'all simply called it the "Sign")
Vitamin X (which y'all simply called it the "Vitamin")

Also, while I was looking at the items on Page 3 in the "Items List" at the C-Island website, I noticed that the "Magic Ball" in the items section of the website is actually called the "Crystal Ball" in the game.

For the frequency code found in the letter, some people said it was changed in the Virtual Console version, but NO! It's still the same. However, it saves anyone's time finding it online.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Got it last night. :)

If I hadn't stopped myself, I would've beaten it in less than an hour. :D
I love playing it with the Wiimote.

I've been searching around many forums and game sites, and all reviews on this game have been very good! It was to be expected, of course. :p

I'm thinking of making a speedrun.. I think I've got what it takes. :D

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
I just bought Startropics on the VC tonight. MJ definitely needs to be in. He can take Ness's place. :p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Great to have you onboard. :)

P.S. (I think so too) :D But I've always wanted to kick the tar out of Ness with Mike. Even after using him for so long...

Top Bottom