• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Tropics' Mike J. for SSBB

tirkaro

Smash Champion
heh. Y'know, before I didn't give a crap about mike jones, but after seeing the pic shinhed-echi posted, I suddenly want him in brawl.

MIKE JONES FTW. and an western-only character is a nice twist on the japan-only condition.

moneysworthless

Smash Rookie
mike jones?

isn't that guy a rapper

mike jones mike jones hit up, 8004, hit mike jones up on da low

back then ssmb sucked and no sonic claus too much ness not enough parasect

woot

hes mike jones too

Andy4Brawl_911

Smash Journeyman
You realise he aint just a yo-yo user.... in the first, he could use shooting stars or lazer guns, and BASEBALL BATS (ANOTHER Ness thing.) And in the secpnd StarTropics he hand funky swords, and phsycic shock waves.

Also Demille is anothe yo-yo user, but i's like Mike Jones more then him.
Does anyone have a mike jones sig

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
mike jones?

isn't that guy a rapper

mike jones mike jones hit up, 8004, hit mike jones up on da low

back then ssmb sucked and no sonic claus too much ness not enough parasect

woot

hes mike jones too
Did you NOT read the ****ing thread title?! NO ****ING RAPPER JOKES!! Those ran stale by the second page... Also I am perfectly aware that there are A LOT of guys named Mike Jones, I even knew someone with that name once. Just because he happens to have a common and generic name doesn't warrant all these ****ing "jokes". Why don't you post pics of Dwight D. Eisenhower in the Ike thread, since he went by that name. See where I'm getting at this? NOT FUNNY! Never was and most certainly never will be...

Also, from this point on anyone else that makes another one of these "jokes" will be reported for spamming.
Just so everyone knows...

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Did you NOT read the ****ing thread title?! NO ****ING RAPPER JOKES!! Those ran stale by the second page... Also I am perfectly aware that there are A LOT of guys named Mike Jones, I even knew someone with that name once. Just because he happens to have a common and generic name doesn't warrant all these ****ing "jokes". Why don't you post pics of Dwight D. Eisenhower in the Ike thread, since he went by that name. See where I'm getting at this? NOT FUNNY! Never was and most certainly never will be...

Also, from this point on anyone else that makes another one of these "jokes" will be reported for spamming.
Just so everyone knows...
Dude, seriously, don't overreact. It makes people WANT to make those stupid jokes just so you'd throw a hissy fit.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Dude, seriously, don't overreact. It makes people WANT to make those stupid jokes just so you'd throw a hissy fit.
After putting up with 50 or so of these instances, do you really blame me for getting a little pissed? I make it perfectly clear WHICH Mike I'm referring to in the first post and the thread title clearly states jokes involving the untalented rapper Mike Jones are not appreciated. *sigh* Maybe I should just nix the "Jones" altogether since he's referred to as simply "Mike" in the games anyway. I think that's just what I'll do...

Andy4Brawl_911

Smash Journeyman
i agree wit lord deathbourne but lets get back to nintendo mike jones...

do you reckon Zoda is going to appear, i never saw him, since i never beat the games, and i lost em... do you have a pic of him

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
The title looks better to me. I just wish I played more of Star Tropic to fully understand M.J. and his attacks.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*bump*

No matter how hard we try to support Mike from the StarTropics series for his appearance in SSBB and/or the StarTropics series to be revived, it won't happen, UNLESS if Nintendo wants to.

Guess it's impossible to go anywhere without seeing the world get ***** by overrated video games and characters that we see almost everyday. I know they are good, but I miss the lesser-known, but good and unique characters and video games. I have a feeling that not even a single mention of anyone or anything from the StarTropics series will be in SSBB. Why? Nintendo is a Japanese company, while the StarTropics series was only released in North America and Europe, and didn't become very popular (which is why this forum doesn't have many members). However, Mike probably was one of the most requested obscure characters in Nintendo of America's and Nintendo of Europe's online forums (both now defunct), which Sakurai said he will check them out along with the Japanese poll. If no one or nothing from the StarTropics series doesn't appear in SSBB (even a single mention), and if neither StarTropics title doesn't become available for the Wii's Virtual Console, then I guess this means that the StarTropics series is O-B-S-O-L-E-T-E.

Perhaps the number of one-nation characters in SSBB will be equal to the number of 3RD-Party characters (or DOUBLE) in SSBB.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I think he'd be a cool character to have in, especially since Ness is out, but...you're probably right in him not coming in. It's not really fair, though. They put in Japanese-only characters but not America/Europe-only...why?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well... we got Dr. Wright, don't we...? Isn't he known outside Japan only?

There's still hope for Mike, even if it's slim.

But high chances or not, Mike is an awesome character. He's the modern counterpart of LINK, of course it could work.. And even if Ness was still around.. Mike's Yoyo and Baseball bat skills are completely different.

His Baseball move would be a shorter ranged and shorter-lasting version of Link's spin attack.

And he could use his yoyo for conventional attacks (not mediocre smash attacks like Ness)

If Sakurai is true to his words.. and decides to consider characters made famous outside Japan, he can't MISS one of the only outside-japan-only games that sticks out the most!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Nice to see how everyone's being so positive... :( But yeah, we all know that Mike's chances are considerably low, teetering toward flat out impossible, but I do hope that if Sakurai has been paying attention to the formerly official Nintendo of America forums (now defunct) as he alluded to, somehow he noticed the strong support for Mike, largely thanks to the efforts of SHINIGAMIHEDGEHOG and ALGUS. Of course I know better than to let a fleeting hope get the better of me, but if by some chance Mike does in fact make the Brawl roster - words would not be able to describe how awesome that'd be, and that'd make Sakurai all the more awesome. And maybe then, we'll finally get to see Star Tropics III become a reality... :grin:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I hope that when Sakurai stated that he would also consider characters made famous outside japan... he wasn't thinking about ASSIST TROPHIES...

So, if Dr. Wright is considered outside-Japan exclusive (though somehow the Japanese still knew him).. the next USA/Europe reps could be:

-Lark/Nester (Pilotwings)
-Tinstar
-Mike (Startropics)
-Elite Beat Agents (assist trophy) (recently imported to Japan)

What I'm concerned is... the cowboy on this picture...

what game is he from anyway?

Mike's got the advantage of being somehow related to Little Mac in a way, so we can safely assume that Mike hasn't gone unnoticed.

Mike's only big competition would be Lark, and maybe Tinstar. Other than that, I don't see many obstacles for him... (this is of course counting on Sakurai keeping his word).

MegatronPwnsYou

Smash Lord
I hope that when Sakurai stated that he would also consider characters made famous outside japan... he wasn't thinking about ASSIST TROPHIES...

So, if Dr. Wright is considered outside-Japan exclusive (though somehow the Japanese still knew him).. the next USA/Europe reps could be:

-Lark/Nester (Pilotwings)
-Tinstar
-Mike (Startropics)
-Elite Beat Agents (assist trophy) (recently imported to Japan)

What I'm concerned is... the cowboy on this picture...

what game is he from anyway?

Mike's got the advantage of being somehow related to Little Mac in a way, so we can safely assume that Mike hasn't gone unnoticed.

Mike's only big competition would be Lark, and maybe Tinstar. Other than that, I don't see many obstacles for him... (this is of course counting on Sakurai keeping his word).
It's the sherrif from one of the WarioWare mini-games.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If I had a time machine... I would so go back in time and get that game... :(

When I was a kid I thought the only game which required the ZAPPER was Duck Hunt... Looks like I missed on so many good games...

Here's hoping they bring out those classics on the Wii's virtual Console with Wiimote compatibility.

Anyway, that game doesn't LOOK like it was released in Japan. It's a game so filled with North American culture it makes me realize why NOJ didn't give US Nazo no Murasame Jou, for the same reason..

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
i agree wit lord deathbourne but lets get back to nintendo mike jones...

do you reckon Zoda is going to appear, i never saw him, since i never beat the games, and i lost em... do you have a pic of him
BUMP

At this rate I believe Mike could be an unlockable... so I don't think he'd play much of a big role in SSE.. So Zoda might become an Assist Trophy... (perhaps turning everyone except summoner into wild boars... or shooting skulls and black fireballs around)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
<____>

Parrothead.... I would've rather not showing that... (seeing how awful it t urned out) x_x

.... oh well... at least I'll get to hear comments from more people other than Newgrounds...

*Equips Red Tunic, cleats, magic mirror, Falcion, 6 pokeballs containing legendary pokemon, coconut guns, yoyos, cloaking devices, etc..*

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Oh come now Shin, it wasn't so bad, though I wonder why parrothead would link that twice... (Welcome back BTW parrothead :)) Sure it wasn't quite as awesome as Super Smash Tropics - which is probably the best Brawl candidate promotional flash I've seen yet - but it was still a fun watch. Newgrounds is **** these days anyway, so I wouldn't take anything they say over there seriously anyway (besides, it's because of trolls like them that everyone's moved on in the first place). But I guess you're not gonna bother with Part II anyhow... That's okay though, I still look forward to whatever your next project may be.

Ah yes, and these might come in handy... *hands over Supernova and Fierce Deity Mask*

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The only thing that hasn't killed off completely my will to do a part 2, is the fact that I got GREEN on Newgrounds.. (meaning it's rated GOOD, out of Bad (orange), Good (green), and Awesome (purple)) So I guess it wasn't really that bad... for a 1st submission in NGs that is. XD

I did plan on fusing ST with other franchises a'la Super Smash Tropics... but then again... that idea + story = Radical Quest... :(

*equips Fierce Deity Mask, forges Falcion with Rainbow Stone and the Rare Red Rock, swallows 7 chaos emeralds and 7 dragon balls, wields Supernova and inflates two red balloons*

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It's been more than a year and I still hold true to this statement lol.

Mike J. doesn't look like he'd be fun to use >.>

I can actually visualize you changing your mind after you play his game.

This guy is like the ULTIMATE projectile LORD. He'd be actually too cheap for Brawl, as he virtually throws EVERYTHING he gets his hands on. But he does show some melee attacks too.

If you like to spam projectiles (turnips, bombs, etc) you would probably love this character.

(Note: he doesn't throw bannanas. But his arsenal ranges from stone axes, twin shurikens, bolas, slingshots, flaming torches, throwing swords, discus, spike balls, cleats, baseball bats, plasma guns, plasma shotguns, flails, ... list goes on and on...)

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
It's been more than a year and I still hold true to this statement lol.

Mike J. doesn't look like he'd be fun to use >.>
I guess you truly can't fix stupid lol.

Seriously though, you made your point once already, why repeat it? Dismissing character idea = valid opinion. Dismissing character idea on multiple occasions = trolling. Just stick to the threads of characters you support, mmm'kay?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Seriously though, you made your point once already, why repeat it?
Cause it's been more than a year :p
Also before, I didn't say anything about how I think it would feel to play him before.
Dismissing character idea = valid opinion. Dismissing character idea on multiple occasions = trolling.
Yeah, because posting the same opinion 2 times between a timespan that's more than a year is trolling...good one :ohwell:

But yeah, might want to rethink that.
Just stick to the threads of characters you support, mmm'kay?
No
I guess you truly can't fix stupid lol.
Hypocrite much? I think you're taking what I posted a little too seriously, but that's just me.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Cause it's been more than a year :p
It's on the first page, though. Not like it was lost within a sea of spam like other threads...

Yeah, because posting the same opinion 2 times between a timespan that's more than a year is trolling...good one :ohwell:
Two times is all it takes...

Hypocrite much?
Take jokes much? I thought the "Seriously though" would have given my jesting away...

Also, what's up with this statement:
whoa, wait, i think i played this game for the NES. like your main weapon is a yo yo and start off in this weird ware house. you continue your way through different "worlds" or areas such as a dark cave or a snowly like area. and there's a bunch of creatures and wierd "men with suits with guns"

i didnt get that game but it was fun as hell.

i never beat it >.> i was way to young to understand how to pick up a game and finish it even if it was hard. i should play that again
*looks for rom*
So you thought the game was fun, but you don't think that the character from that game utilizing the same mechanics that made the game fun would make for a fun character in Brawl? :confused:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
It's on the first page, though. Not like it was lost within a sea of spam like other threads...
Hmm, 36 pages away lol
Two times is all it takes...
Good reply
Take jokes much? I thought the "Seriously though" would have given my jesting away...
I typed 2 words in response to that.
Also, what's up with this statement: So you thought the game was fun, but you don't think that the character from that game utilizing the same mechanics that made the game fun would make for a fun character in Brawl?
*sigh*
whoa, wait, i think i played this game for the NES. like your main weapon is a yo yo and start off in this weird ware house. you continue your way through different "worlds" or areas such as a dark cave or a snowly like area. and there's a bunch of creatures and wierd "men with suits with guns"

i didnt get that game but it was fun as hell.

i never beat it >.> i was way to young to understand how to pick up a game and finish it even if it was hard. i should play that again
*looks for rom*
On page 4, someone replied saying:
Heh, the game you're talking about there is The Goonies 2. StarTropics is a Zelda-ish game with an overhead view.
I got the chance to play The Goonies 2 again and it was the right game I had in mind.
Indeed

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Hmm, 36 pages away lol
Still the front page, which is the easiest one to access lol.

On page 4, someone replied saying:

I got the chance to play The Goonies 2 again and it was the right game I had in mind.
Well, it did sound like you were vaguely describing a mishmash of Star Tropics and StarTropics II with, except for the "starting in the warehouse" part. I've never played The Goonies 2 so it would've never crossed my mind.

hello_kitty

Smash Journeyman
his moves would be very similar to Lucas/Ness, I'd be ok if he's a character but better as an AT.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
his moves would be very similar to Lucas/Ness, I'd be ok if he's a character but better as an AT.
No it wouldn't...

1.- Lucas / Ness never had a REAL Yoyo/bat animation before SSB, therefore Mike's style remains unique and original to this day.

2.- Mike = Rapid-fire style yo yo throwing. Baseball bat moves resemble Link's spin attack.
Ness = stupid swinging around style. Baseball bat moves hit forward only.

3.- Mike has a gazillion other moves to choose from. They don't HAVE to be Yoyo / Bat.

4.- Mike could have his yoyo implemented in his normal attacks (non-smash)

5.- For all we know, Ness might be gone, so Mike could easily cover the "yoyo user" spot.
Notice I said "MIGHT".

I wouldn't mind if Mike is an AT, as long as he gets IN. But I'm naturally supporting him as playable

Side note:.

People... StarTropics plays like ZELDA, not MOTHER/EARTHBOUND.

Saying Mike could be like Ness is like saying Mario could be a clone of Captain Falcon, Roy being a clone of Link, or Ice Climbers being a clone of Dedede... COMMON SENSE PEOPLE.

(no offense intended to anyone, just an outburst)

===============================================
HERE'S A FAN VIDEO-MOVESET made by me.
===============================================

If people REALLY wanna see how different Mike could play from Ness, WATCH IT!
Otherwise, just sink into the abyss of ignorance.
:)

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
^^*sigh* There's no stopping you n00bs, is there? Even taking the "Jones" out of the tread title was to no avail... Just for your information, he's referred to simply as "Mike" in the game, so the announcer most likely wouldn't even bother with the "Jones" part of his name. Characters aren't usually referred to by their full names in Super Smash Bros. anyway; Samus Aran is announced simply as "Samus", Fox McCloud as "Fox", and Captain Douglas Jay Falcon is simply "Captain Falcon".

And why are people still convinced that Mike would be a Ness clone? Aside from Mike's use of a yo-yo (which gets upgraded to a flail-like weapon), brief use of a baseball bat and Psychic Shockwave (which is actually more magic than psychokinesis), he's NOTHING like Ness. Also, despite having similar themes, Star Tropics and Earthbound are NOTHING alike.

At any rate, the "Who? Mike Jooooones!" jokes and Ness comparisons are becoming extremely redundant, the former especially, as it seems to be posted at least once every page so far... Can't really blame me for getting particularly irritated for these points, now can you?

Top Bottom