• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Tropics' Mike J. for SSBB

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
his moves would be very similar to Lucas/Ness, I'd be ok if he's a character but better as an AT.
His moves would be nothing like Lucas. And the only similarity to Ness would be items like the bat and yo-yo (can't remember if Mike has both of these). And anyway...since Ness is clearly out anyway, Mike would be perfect. Unfortunately, Sakurai hates all things that America loves so he likely won't be in.

But that isn't to say he couldn't potentially be a very awesome character. That YouTube video someone made for his moveset would be nothing short of amazing.

edit: Here it is. This should be in the first post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCcBTznBH_s

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
STARTROPICS WILL BE RELEASED FOR THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My cries have finally been heard... It's COMING!!!

To the virtual console on JAPAN!!! on MY BLOODY BIRTHDAY!!!

This is like the BEST B-Day present EVER!!! XD

Da*n!! I still can't believe it!!! lol... My hands can't stop shaking!!! They're driving me nuts!!!

JAPAN gets to play Startropics FINALLY!!! XD (and so do newer players).

Now all of you mortals BOW before me... bwahahahahahhaaha!!!!!!!

*is a little excited*

^^;

NessOwnsYou

Smash Cadet
STARTROPICS WILL BE RELEASED FOR THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My cries have finally been heard... It's COMING!!!

To the virtual console on JAPAN!!! on MY BLOODY BIRTHDAY!!!

This is like the BEST B-Day present EVER!!! XD

Da*n!! I still can't believe it!!! lol... My hands can't stop shaking!!! They're driving me nuts!!!

JAPAN gets to play Startropics FINALLY!!! XD (and so do newer players).

Now all of you mortals BOW before me... bwahahahahahhaaha!!!!!!!

*is a little excited*

^^;
Really and when and where did you get the news

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Bah, who needs virtual console when you have a NES?
Um...everyone? A Wii is forever. :p

But you should be excited that it's revitalized worldwide. Games being re-released quickly spread popularity. Video games are a lot bigger than they were back in the NES days.

Anyway, maybe this is a good sign for him having some sort of Brawl appearance?

Oh, and also...Startropics and lots of NES games on this site (without download). http://www.virtualnes.com/

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Um...everyone? A Wii is forever. :p

But you should be excited that it's revitalized worldwide. Games being re-released quickly spread popularity. Video games are a lot bigger than they were back in the NES days.

Anyway, maybe this is a good sign for him having some sort of Brawl appearance?

Yes it is!!!

Even if this game is NOT released in Japan... it WILL become popular!

And Sakurai might have to remember his little policy of adding outside Japan famous characters, right? >=)

I actually rushed to say it was going to be released in Japan... I'm actually not so sure...

I can't even imagine all the possibilities if it IS released over there. :D

Appearance in Brawl? With two months before release date?.....

OF COURSE!!!!! 6,^_V

There's still time!! Even if it is for a stage-less character... or a character-less stage... or... well... an AT.... But with THIS I can safely say ST WILL show up in Brawl somehow!

Sakurai is up to date with the Virtual Console news... he proved so with Kid Icarus' music update!

... now if only he had the time to play this game... :p Or have one of his subordinates take the whole night off to try it. XD

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
^^^

Yup. Sounds awesome. Depending on the direction you tilt the joystick afterwards you could deliver a curve ball, a fast pitch, or a slow one... The moveset possibilities are endless.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
@ WindSquirrel: Well, Sakurai DID put Little Mac in, right? And Little Mac was created by the same dude who made StarTropics. So there's a good chance they might've talked about him as well.. That's just a speculation, though. I don't really know how much I shold believe what he said about adding characters made famous outside japan... and this game, in its age, was pretty famous.. Though overlooked because of Mario Bros 3 and Megaman 3 which came out at around the same time. :p

@ Zorva: I don't know about left fielder, but he is left handed. :p (but later proves to have an equal deadly pitch with his right arm as well).

parrothead

Smash Lord
If it's going to be released in Japan, then will it be translated into Japanese?

Also, I hope that someone would also translate the Wikipedia article about StarTropics into Japanese for the Japanese gamers to learn about the game.

Speaking of Wikipedia article about StarTropics, it still needs to be updated. It needs History, Reception, Development, Cameo appearances, References and several other kinds of notable information.

I also wish that Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II would be released inside and outside of North America for the Virtual Console.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If it's going to be released in Japan, then will it be translated into Japanese?

Also, I hope that someone would also translate the Wikipedia article about StarTropics into Japanese for the Japanese gamers to learn about the game.

Speaking of Wikipedia article about StarTropics, it still needs to be updated. It needs History, Reception, Development, Cameo appearances, References and several other kinds of notable information.

I also wish that Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II would be released inside and outside of North America for the Virtual Console.

I found some evidence that points out its release in Japan as well. So it will most likely be translated. (I don't think it'd be that hard... it's a two day job tops).

My Japanese isn't good enough in the writing department yet... But I could work on the other one.. I just need to reinforce my knowledge on Startropics II.

If the first one is released worldwide, it'd be stupid for the sequel to be region-exclusive.

parrothead

Smash Lord
I wonder what its title screen would look like? Would it look like the same English logo, but shaped like this?:

スタートロピックス

parrothead

Smash Lord
*bump*

A man on Starmen.Net, Matilda Caboose, matcab, has an art request thread. You request it, he'll draw it. So long as it's appropiate. GiyganMage on those forums requested a drawing of Mike Jones. And so matcab did one. Here is the thread at the Starmen.Net forum.

And here is a anime-style drawing of Mike by rickyruffle, who posted it in this thread at the C-Island forum. I don't know what happened to him, but I preserved it, just in case if anyone wants to see it for the first time or if anyone wants to see it again.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
That first one is pretty cool, the "anime" style one looks like it follows too much on that crappy "How to draw MANGA!" art-book ****.

Zorya

Smash Ace
Oh my.......Mike is sooo hot in that first one parrothead.....might go gay for him after that one.....

HollabackRyu

Smash Journeyman
How does this guy have a chance again? lul and don't give me the "he was in the NES that gives 1% chance"

Zorya

Smash Ace
How does this guy have a chance again? lul and don't give me the "he was in the NES that gives 1% chance"
Let's just put it like this, If I tell you I'm good, don't believe me.

No honestly, he has more of a chance than your avatar does....

HollabackRyu

Smash Journeyman
Let's just put it like this, If I tell you I'm good, don't believe me.

No honestly, he has more of a chance than your avatar does....
I never said my avatar had a chance, so basically 0% chance? I thought so.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Later at the C-Island forum, someone by the name of omnicron modified rickyruffle's artwork to make it look like he's listening and talking to Mica in Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II:

I also found this:

Japanese walkthrough/ウォークスルー.
Ahh!!

That explains why he was blushing! I never understood why the artist drew him with that expression. XD

Oh nice find on the walkthrough.... But I don't think that's Japanese... I can't find one japan-exclusive symbol in there (no Hiragana, and even stranger yet... no Katakana (used to name anything NON japanese)). I believe this should be Chinese.

Awesome find, though. :D Never seen so many screenshots together! :)

Arteen

Smash Lord
He's the most notable Nintendo character who never had a game in Japan. I think his chance lies in the possibility that Sakurai understands that SSBB will be inundated with Japan-only characters, and would put him in as compensation to Western gamers. Besides, Sakurai loves obscure characters and obscure games.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Don't bother responding to HollabackRyu - he's just a no good troll looking to pick fights...

Anyways, nice pics again, but it still prefer Mika's take on Mike:

((let's just ignore any trolls without actually mentioning it ^^; ))

That pic is by far one of the BEST redesigns for Mike, EVER!

funny note: His colors remind me of Sonic a lot... maybe I gotta blame those shoes. :p

I do picture him with his trademark large jaw, if he's made 3D. lol

My only ONLY hope is, that if Mike becomes an AT. Sakurai doesn't go "Excite Bike" on him. Please no more 8-Bit form ATs. X_x

After the music update yesterday... I feel much more sure that there will be a ST song out there... Porbably ST Dungeon theme, which is by far the most popular (besides C-Island, I guess).

HollabackRyu

Smash Journeyman
He's the most notable Nintendo character who never had a game in Japan. I think his chance lies in the possibility that Sakurai understands that SSBB will be inundated with Japan-only characters, and would put him in as compensation to Western gamers. Besides, Sakurai loves obscure characters and obscure games.
What kind of compensation is that? he is not the most notable, most people don't even know who he is, is hardly a compensation if he wasnt in japan he wont be in brawl besides why would he compensate americans if the game is made in Japan?

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
What kind of compensation is that? he is not the most notable, most people don't even know who he is, is hardly a compensation if he wasnt in japan he wont be in brawl besides why would he compensate americans if the game is made in Japan?
Perhaps you missed the "never had a game in Japan" bit of Arteen's response, and considering that after Mike are far less known characters like Mr. Stevenson from the game Gumshoe and Tin Star, he is indeed the most notable character as far as series external to Japan are concerned. Also, as shinhed noted earlier, Star Tropics is on its way to the VC, which means it will once again be available to the masses. At any rate, what gratification to you get by trolling in character threads where the supporters are already well aware that the odds are not in their favor? We really don't need you to come here and tell us what we already know.

HollabackRyu

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps you missed the "never had a game in Japan" bit of Arteen's response, and considering that after Mike are far less known characters like Mr. Stevenson from the game Gumshoe and Tin Star, he is indeed the most notable character as far as series external to Japan are concerned. Also, as shinhed noted earlier, Star Tropics is on its way to the VC, which means it will once again be available to the masses. At any rate, what gratification to you get by trolling in character threads where the supporters are already well aware that the odds are not in their favor? We really don't need you to come here and tell us what we already know.
Mike is as unknown as ANY of them and if he is the most "notable" character outside of Japan, then we certainly don't get really good America exclusive games and I'm not saying that the odds are not in his favor, I'm saying he has absolutely NO ODDS to his favor, learn to read please.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Mike is as unknown as ANY of them and if he is the most "notable" character outside of Japan, then we certainly don't get really good America exclusive games and I'm not saying that the odds are not in his favor, I'm saying he has absolutely NO ODDS to his favor, learn to read please.
You've just proven you have absolutely no ideas to what the hell you're talking about. Whereas Gumshoe and Tin Star were never really anything more than novelty titles, Star Tropics was in fact one of the premier titles of the late NES era and gained a considerable following, enough so to merit a sequel. And again, while it wasn't released in Japan, it WAS developed there, so NOJ and its constituents are more than likely aware of the series existence.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hm.. a smart guy like Genyo Takeda doesn't have a rep of his own... Everyone has at least one or more.

Kojima has Snake... Miyamoto has Mario, Link, etc... Gunpei Yokoi has Pit, Samus, Mr G&W...

Takeda deserves a lot more credit for bringing success to Nintendo, behind the scenes. The closest thing to a character rep. for Takeda was Dr. Mario in Melee... But he's probably gone now..

And because his creation, Little Mac became an Assist Trophy (probably because of lack of moves), Mike could fit his spot as a playable character, Outside-Japan character, retro character and Takeda's playable representative.

Note: For those who don't know who or what I'm talking about. Genyo Takeda created the Save-chip, and has worked on many hardware innovations for Nintendo, as well as creating small franchises sugh as Punch Out and StarTropics.

You owe the man the fact that you don't have to input approximatley 30 digits to resume your gameplay. :) Wow... such a kind man! He SHOULD be shown more gratitude!

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Hm.. a smart guy like Genyo Takeda doesn't have a rep of his own... Everyone has at least one or more.

Kojima has Snake... Miyamoto has Mario, Link, etc... Gunpei Yokoi has Pit, Samus, Mr G&W...

Takeda deserves a lot more credit for bringing success to Nintendo, behind the scenes. The closest thing to a character rep. for Takeda was Dr. Mario in Melee... But he's probably gone now..

And because his creation, Little Mac became an Assist Trophy (probably because of lack of moves), Mike could fit his spot as a playable character, Outside-Japan character, retro character and Takeda's playable representative.

Note: For those who don't know who or what I'm talking about. Genyo Takeda created the Save-chip, and has worked on many hardware innovations for Nintendo, as well as creating small franchises sugh as Punch Out and StarTropics.

You owe the man the fact that you don't have to input approximatley 30 digits to resume your gameplay. :) Wow... such a kind man! He SHOULD be shown more gratitude!
Yeah exactly and Mike Jones is perfect for Brawl!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Mr. Takeda's contributions to Nintendo and gaming in general are indeed woefully overlooked. And since Mac won't be representing his works (how the **** did that happen anyway?!), Mike would be the next best candidate in that regard. C'mon Sakurai! Give Genyo Takeda his due!

Top Bottom