• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Tropics' Mike J. for SSBB

parrothead

Smash Lord
Shinigamihedgehog's fan movie, StarTropics: Radical Quest, will be uploaded either Saturday or Sunday, but this will not mean Mike will 100% be in SSBB as anything.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Comparing Mike from the StarTropics series to the rapper of the same name is just like comparing the main villain of the Halloween film series to the actor of Austin Powers and Wayne in Wayne's World 1 and 2.

Duality

Smash Journeyman
^^That's fine, but please not in here... After over 9000 posts of this nature, it'd drive you bananas as well...
Speaking of which... *jams bananas into his ears* There. Problem solved.
There you go, now we can say it!

What's mah name?!?!

Or in French!

Jammapel?!

MIKE JAAOOWWWNS

But really, I don't know if this really kind of a joke or not, IMO it doesn't sound like it had much thought. Idk, maybe that's just me.

AuraLancer

Smash Journeyman
Ugh. I remember when I finally beat Startropics. I had just beaten the second one and decided to try the first one again (controls transition was horrible). And since I had had it for a couple years the instruction booklet was missing. You see where this is going? (this was before me or anyone I knew had internet)

So, after going through 747 different combinations of numbers(or was 0 an option?) I finally got it and beat the game. Hooray! (yeah, I was that crazy)

But, can anyone tell me when he stuck bananas in his ears? I honestly don't remember that.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Mike stuck bananas in his ears when he first encountered Zoda in the last chapter. He did it to block out what he was saying. Plus at the end when all the photos are being shown from his adventure, the last one has the bananas in his ears.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Mike stuck bananas in his ears when he first encountered Zoda in the last chapter. He did it to block out what he was saying. Plus at the end when all the photos are being shown from his adventure, the last one has the bananas in his ears.
It was kind of a running gag that built up from an NPC's initial comment "You must have bananas in your ears!" directed toward Mike apparently not quite catching what she had to say. Dr. Jones then exclaims "Did you get the bananas out of your ears?" if you talk to him again after he tells you about the invaders and the magic cubes and from there it goes on to what you mentioned. A rather fun little gag if I say so myself...

AuraLancer

Smash Journeyman
Man, I don't remeber ANY of that.
But speaking of Zoda, do you think he may be the Zoda in F-Zero? After all, James McCloud is in there. That was my first thought when I saw Zoda in F-Zero X.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I remember when I first saw it I thought it could be, but...I would need to see that specific character again to be sure. I seem to remember them not really looking all that similar at all.

Andy4Brawl_911

Smash Journeyman
I want Mike Jones in Brawl (not the rapper.) I believee he would be likely to help DK and Diddy Kong find all his bananas in adventure mode (since most characters team up with atleast one character in anoter series.) Also if he has some moves, I'd like to see the ones of StarTropics 2, and when he uses them it would be cool to shout them out, like:
Merlins Physcic Shock Wave, Tink's Axe, Cleopatras Bronze Dagger, Leonardo Da Vinci's Katana and well i decided to put this in because its like Mike Jones proper weapon Yo-Yo (Which could be called Chief Yo-Yo or Coralcola

parrothead

Smash Lord
Here is a StarTropics series review from the Happy Video Game Nerd, the opposite of the Angry Video Game Nerd:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z8i_rr4ZbsU

In my opinion: Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II is better than the original StarTropics in controls, but not in storyline, some music tracks, nor weapons.

It isn't much like the Zelda series, because the StarTropics series is linear, which means you can't move to any town or area you want, like in the Zelda series. The StarTropics series is more like a longer-lasting version of Nazo no Murasame-jo, without racing to the finish before the time runs out. Don't compare Nazo no Murasame-jo to the Sonic the Hedgehog series, because Nazo no Murasame-jo came first.

I wish that people would quit comparing the protagonist of the StarTropics series to the rapper of the same name, because it's not funny. DEAD BLAME IT!!!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion

parrothead

Smash Lord

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
That's because you've seen the in-game art more than the official promo artworks. If you saw the official promo artworks very much, then you would prefer them more than the in-game art.
True, true. But what could I say, I love the art style of Genyo Takeda's crew... Makes the general exclusion of Punch-Out!! all that more sad...
Thanks again parrothead! :)

parrothead

Smash Lord
*bump*

Here are some screenshots of the upcoming StarTropics fan video by zelakzanai.

Want to know when it will be uploaded? Then read this quote:

Dear StarTropics fans,

November.

Signed,
zelakzanai
There is also a Flash animation under construction by shingamihedgehog. He said he was going to upload it about a week or two ago, but his Internet connection got messed up, so he decided to add a few more stuff to it, until his Internet connection is repaired. Here is the title screen of it:

Ger-Bah

Smash Rookie
I love the idea of Mike Jones, and I don't think he has a low chance either really. He had two games, and apparently a good following as I've heard of him dozens of times across many a forum. I've never played Star Tropics, but the fact that he could represent Nintendo's Western games/gamers is a very solid idea, he'd would be the only American character (or possibly the only non-Japanese character), if we overlook the fact that it was simply only released in the States (correct?).

parrothead

Smash Lord
I love the idea of Mike Jones, and I don't think he has a low chance either really. He had two games, and apparently a good following as I've heard of him dozens of times across many a forum. I've never played Star Tropics, but the fact that he could represent Nintendo's Western games/gamers is a very solid idea, he'd would be the only American character (or possibly the only non-Japanese character), if we overlook the fact that it was simply only released in the States (correct?).
StarTropics was also released in Europe, but Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II was only released in North America.

Andy4Brawl_911

Smash Journeyman
StarTropics, is likey to be in bcause it is the only well remembered classical game series, that was released world-wide

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
u guys sayng that this guys is better then all the other chars that people are still w8ing? jesus... he really sucks lol rather play pichu than him

Andy4Brawl_911

Smash Journeyman
actyually not 2 be offensive but radical quest, looks nothing like him. he has abbilitys like shooting stars shock waves and super fast throwing, laser guns

oh an his main yo-yo

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
u guys sayng that this guys is better then all the other chars that people are still w8ing? jesus... he really sucks lol rather play pichu than him
I don't expect someone of such limited mental capacity to fully appreciate the greatness of a character like Mike anyway. :chuckle:
actyually not 2 be offensive but radical quest, looks nothing like him. he has abbilitys like shooting stars shock waves and super fast throwing, laser guns

oh an his main yo-yo
Well, it is a fan treatment after all... I wouldn't expect a whole lot as far as visual authenticity is concerned, but you never know, it may have great content. At the very least you have appreciate the effort...

KAFOR

Smash Apprentice
I am unfamiliar. Sorry for my knowledge of retro characters is very vague. Seems to be interesting by the way.

NukeA6

Smash Master
He's a lot more original than some stupid baby Pikachu.

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
I've never played any of the ST games, but I do agree that Mike Jones deserves to be in Brawl. A problem is that while the ST games were made in Japan, they were made for the western market, so none knows about them in Japan.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I've never played any of the ST games, but I do agree that Mike Jones deserves to be in Brawl. A problem is that while the ST games were made in Japan, they were made for the western market, so none knows about them in Japan.
All the more reason for the series to receive a Virtual Console release, amirite? But yes, that is pretty much the dilemma our dear friend Mike is facing at the moment... And on top of that, the fact that Genyo Takeda's premier series Punch-Out!! got snubbed the way that it did, it's really hard to see any hope for his less well known series Star Tropics. I've read before that Mr. Takeda is friends with Sakurai and therein was where my main hope for Mike in Brawl rested, but I guess either their not as close as I had suspected or maybe he's just not the type that asks for big favors. Ah well... We knew from the start that Mike had a really slim chance of making the cut. Maybe, just maybe though, Sakurai has in fact considered looking beyond Japan's borders for inspiration - as potentially indicated with his stated desire to include more of an international flavor to Brawl - and if so, more than likely would have stumbled upon this classic NES series... *sigh* One can dream, at least....

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
All the more reason for the series to receive a Virtual Console release, amirite? But yes, that is pretty much the dilemma our dear friend Mike is facing at the moment... And on top of that, the fact that Genyo Takeda's premier series Punch-Out!! got snubbed the way that it did, it's really hard to see any hope for his less well known series Star Tropics. I've read before that Mr. Takeda is friends with Sakurai and therein was where my main hope for Mike in Brawl rested, but I guess either their not as close as I had suspected or maybe he's just not the type that asks for big favors. Ah well... We knew from the start that Mike had a really slim chance of making the cut. Maybe, just maybe though, Sakurai has in fact considered looking beyond Japan's borders for inspiration - as potentially indicated with his stated desire to include more of an international flavor to Brawl - and if so, more than likely would have stumbled upon this classic NES series... *sigh* One can dream, at least....
Yes, let us hope Sakurai and his staff have an "international" mind for SBBB. I am going with Mike all the way and hope the ST games get a VC release.

Andy4Brawl_911

Smash Journeyman
I just thought, Sakura, won't know Mike Jones, it was never releasedin Japan they have probably never heard of it.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I just thought, Sakura, won't know Mike Jones, it was never releasedin Japan they have probably never heard of it.
Who the **** is this Sakura?* And yes, while the general Japanese populace have no clue as to what Star Tropics is, NOJ does - they made the blasted game after all... And considering that Sakurai has a considerable level of access to Nintendo's vast library, including games that may have not seen a domestic release. He may not have the intention to include representation from Star Tropics, but I am sure that he is at least passingly familiar with it...

*I know that you meant SakuraI, but you really should try to at least get the name right if you want to be taken seriously...

Andy4Brawl_911

Smash Journeyman
Actually, all these people want Japanes Only characters, its time Japan go a character not released their.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Yeaah!! Mike Jones for Brawl!!!

:D

Ness looks like he's out of the way, so a potentially new Yo Yo user can step in. MIKE!! Only YOU can do it!!!

Oh by the way.. Since Sakurai has updated Little MAC as an AT... chances are high that he noticed its' creator's OTHER little work called StarTropics. :)

(And I'm sorry for the picture quality... should've exported it at it's optimum quality)

Sinn

Smash Lord
Yeaah!! Mike Jones for Brawl!!!

:D

Ness looks like he's out of the way, so a potentially new Yo Yo user can step in. MIKE!! Only YOU can do it!!!

Oh by the way.. Since Sakurai has updated Little MAC as an AT... chances are high that he noticed its' creator's OTHER little work called StarTropics. :)

(And I'm sorry for the picture quality... should've exported it at it's optimum quality)
First off...that picture is pretty cool =o

Second off, in my sadness that Ness probably wasn't coming back, that completely made me overlook the fact that if Ness isn't in...people can't really complain about Mike potentially being a clone of him, now can they? Maybe that's a good thing...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I feel sorry for Ness too.. I liked using the character a lot... And I knew him in the original N64 which got me to play his game...

But if I think about it... Lucas will feel just like when I first picked up Ness. Coming from a game I've never played before... and the disappointment of having him around instead of Mike. lol (I ended up using Ness after all anyway).

But I see more advantages to having Lucas, unfortunatley. However we can still pray for a NESS-alt costume being available, right? Perhaps for his"red" costume.

And thanks for the compliment. :D

Fun fact: As you may have noticed, the pic's composed of many Brawl characters. See if you can detect which body parts belong to who. ;D Have fun ^^

NukeA6

Smash Master
This guy would be a lot better than having a Lucas clone.

He may be projectile heavy (he had tons of it in his two games).

Top Bottom