• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Tropics' Mike J. for SSBB

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Huh, good point. Well, one thing I can think of is that when you download each game, there's certain special information that they have on the screen before you confirm. Like for Kid Icarus it mentioned that the special password feature wasn't included (for some strange reason). So they could specifically put that information in bold letters under the heading IMPORTANT on that screen.
I was thinking along the same lines, myself.

BoG

Smash Journeyman
I would just like to say that Mike Jones is an awesome character idea. I'd love to see him in the game. Hope he makes it, it would be mind blowing (and way cooler then Petey piranha)

Sinn

Smash Lord
Those were hilariously unexpected, parrothead xD

Honestly, MJ being in Brawl...it makes so much sense, but he seems to be known by so few people that he'd probably be a later unlockable. Maybe even the WTF character. Honestly, I'll be really surprised if he's there, but...that's what dreaming is for.

Though I think it's more likely than them ever making another sequel...they did kinda wrap up the story pretty well at the end of the second game.

parrothead

Smash Lord
If MJ doesn't appear in SSBB, then we might as well enjoy him in M.U.G.E.N, a 2D fighting game engine that allows anyone to create characters, background stages and other game objects through interpreted text files, graphics, and sound compilations. There are so many characters available, but most of them are overrated.

I'm trying to learn how to create a character for M.U.G.E.N, but it seems that I can't find a good tutorial that teaches me how to make sprites readable to M.U.G.E.N using Photoshop 7.0. Not only I'm planning to make MJ for M.U.G.E.N, but I'm also planning to make some other characters I would like to see in action.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I think I actually looked into that program before but was crushed by its sheer complexity. Much like I was with RPG Maker when I tried to make all my custom content. There just aren't enough hours in the day to devote to something like that right now.

I just got a crazy idea to make Mike Jones in City of Heroes...hm...too bad I can't make him Katana AND Psychic...

Sinn

Smash Lord
The Hell? o_O

I've never seen that before.............and honestly, it would be awesome...but how sure are we that this one second clip is, like, authentic?

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
^^ As far as that particular video's authenticity is concerned, I certainly wouldn't bank on it (though I wouldn't rule it out completely either...). Considering that it was put up way back in January of this year, you'd think that Nintendo would have at least made some mention of it at E3... But then again, since only three new titles were unveiled, it's likely that there are several projects that are well into development that have yet to be publicly announced by the Big N. At this point, who knows? Guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed...

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
STIII would be awesome, but I doubt that it will happen. If it were in the works, though, Brawl would be a perfect place to advertise preemptively by including Mike Jones. =)

Sinn

Smash Lord
Actually...that being said, I don't know if a lot of people would have remembered Pit if it hadn't been for his trophy in Melee...so if they at least acknowledge MJ in Brawl (a trophy maybe), perhaps his longtime fans can generate enough buzz for him to be in Smash 4 if he doesn't make it in Brawl.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I'm leaning more towards the video being fake somehow, but I still have some hopes.

I keep it save to show others and see what they think.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
...I'm going to try this game out and see if it is any good

Sinn

Smash Lord
Just remember Psycho...if you get to a part where you're totally confused on what the HELL you're supposed to do...747.

Oh, and if you can make it past chapter three (the longest and, in my opinion, most annoying chapter in the whole game...decent plot to it though), then you'll be fine. The rest of the game gets harder, but for me it doesn't seem to drag as much as that one chapter. Four is really short by comparison.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I think Melee showed that names don't really effect your odds on being included, if G&W and Ice Climbers were any indication. And there are plenty of ways they could make him different from Ness, especially if they pulled from both games he's been in. I realize that he's not the most likely character to get a slot, and I'm not EXPECTING him to be in the same way I'm expecting Ridley, Geno, Sonic, or Mega Man. I'm hoping he gets in for the same reason that I hope Lip gets in: merely because I like the characters and the games they're from, and they're still within the realm of possibility.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I don't really think Mike Jones has a chance. Sakurai has probably never heard of StarTropics, because it's only been released in America. It was a great game though. I own both it and the sequel for NES. I remember them fondly.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I think a big part of predicting who is going to be in Brawl is that we don't know how many brand new franchises are going to be added vs how many existing franchises are just getting expanded. Personally, I'm all for brand new franchise characters, since I think that makes things interesting. But then, I ALSO get the feeling that a lot of the brand new franchise characters will be unlockable only...so either way, I probably won't hear about them before the game comes out...

parrothead

Smash Lord
I don't really think Mike Jones has a chance. Sakurai has probably never heard of StarTropics, because it's only been released in America. It was a great game though. I own both it and the sequel for NES. I remember them fondly.
StarTropics was also released in Europe, but Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II was released only in America.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Ah, he would be horrible if only because of his horrible name. But still he reeks of Ness clone and nobody knows about him. I wouldn't mind him as an AT however.
Now that logic makes no freakin' sense whatsoever. How does a name deem whether a character is worthy or not in the first place? By that logic, half the current cast of Brawl needs to be cut right now... Just because his name is a tad bit generic (at least it's not ridiculous) or because he shares the name with a certain untalented rapper (just a coincidence due to the former point) shouldn't be the sole determining factor of whether he is a "good" or "bad" character - Hell, it shouldn't be a determining factor AT ALL.

Also, I'm REALLY tired of people always comparing Mike J. to Ness. Sure he might make use of a bat (although he's a pitcher, with the Wonder Horsehide more signature to his arsenal) and maybe along the way in Startropics II he gains the Psychic Shockwave (although since he learns it from Merlin, it could be considered more 'magic' than ESP), but if you've actually PLAYED the game, you would be quick to realize that he would be more appropriately compared to Link of Legend of Zelda fame, considering both games use a very similar build. Sure he may swing around a sword on a regular basis like everyone's favorite Hylian hero (although he does get a katana in Startropics II), but as far as receiving a wide arsenal of various items to select from throughout the course of the game, in addition to the similar game designs, you could think of Mike J. as a modern-day counterpart to Link. However, he is still different enough to pretty much guarantee that he'd receive a completely unique moveset if he were fortunate enough to be included in Brawl.

Now I would be inclined to agree with you, if not for the fact that Masahiro Sakurai knows the game's designer, Genyo Takeda (also the designer of the Punch-Out!! series), very well (I think they may even be friends). Also, despite the fact that the game was not released in Japan, it was interestingly enough created for the most part in Japan by Nintendo Integrated Research & Development (IRD), so I'm positive that NOJ is in fact very aware of the game series' existence.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Unlike the Zelda series, StarTropics is linear, meaning that you cannot go back to C-Island or any other area you passed whenever you want to.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Unlike the Zelda series, StarTropics is linear, meaning that you cannot go back to C-Island or any other area you passed whenever you want to.
Yeah, well I did say that they were similar, not exactly alike. I believe that the original Legend of Zelda's sister title Nazo no Murasamejou was also linear in design, am I correct?

parrothead

Smash Lord
Yeah, well I did say that they were similar, not exactly alike. I believe that the original Legend of Zelda's sister title Nazo no Murasamejou was also linear in design, am I correct?
Yes, except you have a time limit. The Zelda and StarTropics series don't.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I've never heard of this sister title to Zelda that you speak of, though now I'm interested. And DB, you've given my basis of hope even more ground to stand on with the whole Sakurai and Takeda being buddies thing which I was unaware of. A lot of people don't think it's out of the question for Little Mac to appear in the game and he himself was only in two games...and even though one was for the SNES, didn't it come out BEFORE Star Tropics II? Or at least around the same time? And MJ has so much more potential than Mac...

volbound1700

Smash Master
This is a good idea, I played and have startropics 1 but it was so tough. Got to about the 3rd or 4th cave.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I've never heard of this sister title to Zelda that you speak of, though now I'm interested. And DB, you've given my basis of hope even more ground to stand on with the whole Sakurai and Takeda being buddies thing which I was unaware of. A lot of people don't think it's out of the question for Little Mac to appear in the game and he himself was only in two games...and even though one was for the SNES, didn't it come out BEFORE Star Tropics II? Or at least around the same time? And MJ has so much more potential than Mac...
Nazo no Murasame-jou (Mystery of Murasame Castle) was released shortly after the original Legend of Zelda (February and April of 1986, respectively) as sort of an Edo-era Japan counterpart to the fantasy adventure that started it all. In a way, though, Star Tropics and Nazo no Muramame-jou might be more similar to each other than either is to the Legend of Zelda - particularly since both are linear in design as parrothead mentioned before. Either way, whereas Nazo is considered the "sister" title of the original Zelda, I like to think of the Star Tropics titles as Legend of Zelda's "cousin" series.

Now concerning the next bit you pointed out, actually, if you count the original Japanese release-date of Super Punch-Out!!, it and Zoda's Revenge: Star Tropics II were released at almost exactly the same time: in March of 1994 (although North America wouldn't receive the SNES Punch-Out!! sequel until October of that year). That means that Genyo Takeda and Nintendo Integrated Research & Development (IRD) were pretty much working on both projects simultaneously.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Ah yes, I can see it now...Newcomer Mike Jones. Honestly, with all this new information, I can totally see him making some kind of an appearance in the game now, be it AT or PC. I was always concerned about the designers either not caring who he was or something like that...but knowing all this, I feel a lot more confident about it~<3

Less than three months...less than three months...I'll probably have another two or three unit tests by then T_T

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Kid Icarus, anyone?
He's wasn't really a CULT classic, he was part of a series in the famicom disk system, that wasn't able to move on with his friends, yet people still remembered his game.

The Legend of Zelda
Nazo No Murasame Jou
Metroid
The Mirror of Palutena (Kid Icarus)

Considered in Japan to be the Famicom Disk System Group (Link, Takamaru, Samus, Pit)

The games all were in arrangement CDs of Nintendo games, none of them were ever left out of them.

Star Tropics was a game intended for the American market and that's about it. It was a good game, but it can't be compared to the significance of Kid Icarus in Nintendo's history.

It's like trying to compare Wart to Bowser, it just doesn't work.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
He's wasn't really a CULT classic, he was part of a series in the famicom disk system, that wasn't able to move on with his friends, yet people still remembered his game.

The Legend of Zelda
Nazo No Murasame Jou
Metroid
The Mirror of Palutena (Kid Icarus)

Considered in Japan to be the Famicom Disk System Group (Link, Takamaru, Samus, Pit)

The games all were in arrangement CDs of Nintendo games, none of them were ever left out of them.

Star Tropics was a game intended for the American market and that's about it. It was a good game, but it can't be compared to the significance of Kid Icarus in Nintendo's history.

It's like trying to compare Wart to Bowser, it just doesn't work.
I know Star Tropics isn't as prominent a cult classic as Kid Icarus, but it is a prominent cult classic nonetheless. Also, there's several other prominent FDS titles you forgot to mention such as Shin Oni Ga Shima and the Famicom Detective Club series, so I don't think that "Famicom Disk System Group" of yours is questionable. Also, as far as being unable to " move on with his friends", that would be more descriptive of Takamaru, as Nazo No Murasame-jou never received a sequel, while Kid Icarus did (Of Myths and Monsters for the GB). Just because Star Tropics wasn't released in Japan doesn't mean you should write it off like that (and by the way, it was released in Europe as well - I think "Western audience" was the term you were looking for). It performed quite well, so far as to receive as sequel, and is often among the games that gamers growing up with the NES most fondly remember.

And the whole "It's like trying to compare Wart to Bowser" bit... yeah, maybe if I tried comparing to Legend of Zelda as far as the prominence of the series is concerned, but don't kid yourself - Kid Icarus isn't THAT prominent... There's a good reason why there hasn't been another game in that series for 16 years now (compared to the 13 year absence of the Star Tropics series). I think the comparison was valid as both are considered NES classic (Kid Icarus admittedly more so), with both receiving unsuccessful sequels, which may account for the absence of both series over the years. And even IF Star Tropics is as obscure a title as you suggest, that status didn't hold the Ice Climbers back, now did it?

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
No I mean those 4 games were advertised in pairs. Shin Oni Ga Shima and Detective Club did appear on the arrangments though. And this disk system group thing I got from Japan, I didn't make it up, I didn't even know it existed.

And in the case of Kid Icarus 2, I don't consider that game official, Japan NEVER got that game. So in Japan (AND based on websites I have visited) Pit=Takamaru. That's why they expect him to be in the game, now that Pit is in.

Actually when I was talking about Wart and Bowser I was talking about in validity as a Mario villain. "Basically Wart deserves to become an recurring enemy in the Mario series because Bowser is." And I say they can't be compared because Wart was not originally a Mario character like Bowser, he can't be compared to him in that regard, so the same treatment should not be expected to be applied. And that's the case with Kid Icarus and Star tropics, they do not have similar circumstances so Pit getting in does not equal the same reasons that Star Tropics could get representation. INFACT the reason Pit got in was because of the Famicom Mini Sereis on the GBA.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
No I mean those 4 games were advertised in pairs. Shin Oni Ga Shima and Detective Club did appear on the arrangments though. And this disk system group thing I got from Japan, I didn't make it up, I didn't even know it existed.

And in the case of Kid Icarus 2, I don't consider that game official, Japan NEVER got that game. So in Japan (AND based on websites I have visited) Pit=Takamaru. That's why they expect him to be in the game, now that Pit is in.

Actually when I was talking about Wart and Bowser I was talking about in validity as a Mario villain. "Basically Wart deserves to become an recurring enemy in the Mario series because Bowser is." And I say they can't be compared because Wart was not originally a Mario character like Bowser, he can't be compared to him in that regard, so the same treatment should not be expected to be applied. And that's the case with Kid Icarus and Star tropics, they do not have similar circumstances so Pit getting in does not equal the same reasons that Star Tropics could get representation. INFACT the reason Pit got in was because of the Famicom Mini Sereis on the GBA.
Rather prejudiced now, aren't we? So if a game isn't released in the Japanese motherland, then it's not official...

Now I'm actually hoping that Takamaru makes the cut and am very aware that Nazo no Murasame-jou's legacy in Japan i comparable to that of Kid Icarus in the West. The problem with this though is that Kid Icarus was an international release, whereas Nazo no Murasame-jou was a domestically exclusive release and Sakurai did make mention that he wanted to shy away from Japan-only Nintendo characters, so with that in mind Pit=/=Takamaru. Of course the Japanese sometimes seem to forget that there's a world outside of the archipelago they call home, so maybe they haven't considered that little factoid too much. Sure he's got a chance, but he's not as obvious an addition as the Hero of Angel Land...

And are you certain that Pit was included ONLY because Famicom Mini Series and NOT because of the game's prominence as a cult classic? Sauce plz.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
From what I understand from that post he made, I think he was saying he did not want to add character ONLY popular in Japan to the point that it was OBVIOUS that it was showing a bias to that countries suggestions. And I'm not being prejudice, I'm being realistic, they most likely will not bother with games outside of Japan. Look at the suggestion he posted (Dedede 5 freaking times... Japan characters throughout the lists ---obviously he hand picked these) I think he will take account of characters that will be easily recognizable by other countries and that's about as far as it's gonna get in terms of character we want being playable. And in Japan they have a hard time saying flat out no to things, so I'm betting the "no japan only character" rule isn't even going to apply (MOTHER3 music is already confirmed to be in the game possibly making way for Lucas anyway).

It's not that big of a deal anyway, for the most part all of the EXCELLENT and LOGICAL Brawl additions they want, we want. so it's a win win.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
From what I understand from that post he made, I think he was saying he did not want to add character ONLY popular in Japan to the point that it was OBVIOUS that it was showing a bias to that countries suggestions. And I'm not being prejudice, I'm being realistic, they most likely will not bother with games outside of Japan. Look at the suggestion he posted (Dedede 5 freaking times... Japan characters throughout the lists ---obviously he hand picked these) I think he will take account of characters that will be easily recognizable by other countries and that's about as far as it's gonna get in terms of character we want being playable. And in Japan they have a hard time saying flat out no to things, so I'm betting the "no japan only character" rule isn't even going to apply (MOTHER3 music is already confirmed to be in the game possibly making way for Lucas anyway).

It's not that big of a deal anyway, for the most part all of the EXCELLENT and LOGICAL Brawl additions they want, we want. so it's a win win.
Well it only makes sense that there would be a plethora of Japanese-exclusive characters mentioned in the selected user comments he posted in his Toukouken considering that it was conducted IN JAPAN. And I didn't say that Sakurai said he was ruling out Japan-only characters altogether, just that he wasn't giving them as high of a priority. Now I understand that Nintendo characters from games released outside of Japan are more likely to be overlooked, but Sakurai did say something along the lines that he was looking to characters with 'international appeal'. Whatever he meant by that is up for debate, but if he is referring to international releases, keep in mind that Star Tropics is in fact an international release. At any rate, as far as Nintendo characters from 'outside of Japan' are concerned, Mike Jones stands the best chance. Now I admit that still makes his chance for inclusion long shot, but I think we all know by now that Sakurai is quite an unpredictable character.

Also, I fail to see how Japan getting their exclusive characters while great characters from outside Nippon remain neglected a win-win situation... Ah well...

parrothead

Smash Lord
*bump*

For some of you who think that Mike would be the clone of Ness, let me tell you why Mike isn't much like Ness:

* Mike's island yo-yo isn't always his main weapon. It's like the Iron Swords and Rapiers in the Fire Emblem series, the Wooden Sword in the first Zelda, and the sword of Link's Uncle in A Link to the Past. It never will become your main weapon throughout StarTropics. However, it will be used again when Mike is low in hearts. Mike's other main weapons, the Shooting Star and the Super Nova, are more like flails. In the SSB series, Adult Link uses the Master Sword (in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess), Marth uses the Falcion (a.k.a. Sword of Light), and Roy uses the Sword of Seals. The swords they use are obtained later in the games they originated from.

This image below is from the instruction manual of Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II, which shows Mike using a weapon that looks similar to flails:

For the other weapons and moves Mike can use:

* Mike's Shockwave moves aren't much like Ness's PK/PSI moves, because Mike's Shockwave moves are more about magic than psychic. However, according to the plot of Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II, Mike uses his mind to cast his Shockwave moves.
* All the weapons Mike and Ness both have are baseball bats, slingshots, and yo-yos. Mike's other weapons besides the ones I mentioned earlier are:

Fire Sticks (just plain sticks on fire)
Snowman Dolls (they don't damage, but they freeze anyone)
Bolas (just plain bolas. They go across the screen in StarTropics, but they don't in Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II)
Mirrors (for reflecting attacks)
Spikes (a.k.a. Spiked Cleats)
Astericks (a weapon that can be thrown and either hit twice as hard, or throw them, then hit a button again and split them on a 90degree angle in opposite directions.
Horse Hyde (which is a baseball)
Lazer Gun (a quite generic laser pistol that shoots long range blasts)
Super Lazer Gun (Super Lazer Guns are more powerful than the Lazer Guns, but don't have a wide range. What's great about this weapon is the fact that it fires in a three block width. It's good for those enemies that you wish you could hit on an angle)
Rocks (just plain rocks that do little damage)
Tink's Axe (first real weapon in Zoda's Revenge)
Cleopatra's Bronze Dagger (second real weapon in Zoda's Revenge)
Spike Disks (just plain spike disks. They are like frisbees with spikes on the sides)
Leondardo Da Vinci's Katana (third and last real weapon in Zoda's Revenge.)
3-Way Shot (shoots three spiked spheres at once: one toward the left, one toward the right, and one straight forward)

AND

* Mike is American, while Ness is Japanese.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Actually, Onett, where Ness is from, is in Eagleland. I always thought that was more either England wince it sounds like it or a take off the US what with the eagle thing, but...regardless, Mike is most DEFINITELY from Seattle. They say so in both games, I think.

Top Bottom