• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Tropics' Mike J. for SSBB

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Haha i deff agree that the rapper mike jones could be in... everytime he uses his jab he yells who and then his second is him really obnoxiously going, MIKE JONES... he would be like the next captain falcon except black and annoying lmao.

He could have a special move where he calls out paul wall since they all sound the same
Actually I think that Paul Wall's music sounds diffrent than Mike Jones... And yeah, the real Mike Jones is pretty annoying so I don't listen to him much.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Woah, I never noticed the Rick Wheeler thing. That's.. pretty **** awesome :D

My only gripe is that people like FryGuy still think it's a coincidence that both series have alien villains named Zoda. Bull, if you ask me. I mean, Zoda's ship is called the "Death Anchor," which sounds fairly piratey/tropical to me. Not a great reference, but I always held it to be. And that Rick Wheeler thing... holy crap. That's pretty much spot-on, denim jacket, hair, and all.

Croco

Smash Lord
Woah, I never noticed the Rick Wheeler thing. That's.. pretty **** awesome :D

My only gripe is that people like FryGuy still think it's a coincidence that both series have alien villains named Zoda. Bull, if you ask me. I mean, Zoda's ship is called the "Death Anchor," which sounds fairly piratey/tropical to me. Not a great reference, but I always held it to be. And that Rick Wheeler thing... holy crap. That's pretty much spot-on, denim jacket, hair, and all.
Why would any doubt it? :confused:
For hells sake.. James McCloud is in the F-Zero series.. and he is heavily based off the star fox series.

The official website clearly states that Wheeler was brought back 150 years later after a fatal car crash.. Zoda is also from the same time period. It even CLEARLY states that Zoda ha s adeep connection with Wheeler.

parrothead

Smash Lord
I believe that some F-ZERO racers were inspired by other Nintendo characters and stuff. For some examples:

* Mr. E.A.D.'s face was made to look like Mario's. He also has a Starman-like star on his belt. E.A.D. stands for Entertainment Analysis and Development.

* James McCloud was named after Fox's father. He was also made to look like him. His Little Wyvern was made to look like the Arwings that the Star Fox Team fly.

* Black Shadow looks similar to StarTropics Zoda, because they both have horns on their heads, as well as a large cape.

* F-ZERO Zoda was probably named after StarTropics Zoda.

* Later, Nintendo wanted to come up with an anime exclusive character that can face one of the F-ZERO villains. While F-ZERO Zoda is the second most dangerous villain next to Black Shadow, F-ZERO Zoda probably reminded Nintendo of creating StarTropics Zoda. And then they thought who fought StarTropics Zoda? Mike Jones! And perhaps Nintendo combined some parts of his Zoda's Revenge outfit, as well as his hair color with some new ideas to create F-ZERO Zoda's rival, Rick Wheeler (i.e. Ryu Suzaku in Japan).

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I hope that was sarcasm.. ;) lol
I ment him being related to the Star Tropics Zoda. I think the whole Rick Wheeler being Mike thing is just a coincidence, considering that Zoda was made before Rick Wheeler, and then they chose Zoda to be Wheeler's villain in the anime (which if never happened, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion), because Wheeler is a cop, and Zoda is a criminal, it fits. There MAY be a connection with Zoda and Wheeler repping Zoda and Mike, but untio official confirmation, I'm not convinced. Fun theory, though

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Interesting, Lord_Deathborne, but that article was created back in 15/09/2005, and we haven't heard a word about it ever since that article was made. It reminds me of this news.

And, by the way, I made a mistake typing my previous post in this thread. Read the "EDIT" part.
This is one of parrothead's taken from a discussion we had in the Detective Gumshoe thread (which should be renamed as a "Mr. Stevenson" thread so as to not be confused with Pheonix Wright's Detective Gumshoe...), but check out the linked video, as it is far more relevant (even if it isn't confirmed) than this comparison with Rick Wheeler (where I'll have to agree with HMBG that it's probably just mere coincidence). You may remember Camelot's secret RPG project, could this be it?

parrothead

Smash Lord
*bump*

Click here to watch Mike Jones "kick some you know what."

I didn't create the video, but someone showed it to me and some other people.

NOTE: The "kick some you know what" quote was started by Satoru Iwata.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
*bump*

Wow... that was great... Hats off to SHINIGAMIHEDGEHOG for putting this all together. And thanks a whole lot for posting the video parrothead.

Anyone excited for Mike J. now? :)

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
*bump*

SWEET!!!

Some characters there I would NEVER expect to have a chance. Like that Nemo kid.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Not sure about the first guy you're referring to, but that's definitely Zoda (from Star Tropics, not F-Zero) who's teamed up with Sonic...
I guess I'm used to his alien form more that I can recognize him in that form quicker. but the first guy is still bugging me. Looks like Nemo from Little Nemo: The Dream Master (which is based after a comic strip and movie)

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I guess I'm used to his alien form more that I can recognize him in that form quicker. but the first guy is still bugging me. Looks like Nemo from Little Nemo: The Dream Master (which is based after a comic strip and movie)
Honestly, why would anyone want HIM for Brawl?! Really?!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Zoda the main antagonist of Star Tropics (is it just me, or does he look like FFIV's Golbez?) is actually a different character than Zoda the adrenaline junkie from the F-Zero series, but they are both aliens - evil aliens... :chuckle:

And yeah, that's Nemo - I just wasn't sure whether you were referring to him or the hero from Crystalis...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Zoda the main antagonist of Star Tropics (is it just me, or does he look like FFIV's Golbez?) is actually a different character than Zoda the adrenaline junkie from the F-Zero series, but they are both aliens - evil aliens... :chuckle
*slaps head* Why did I think of F-Zero's Zoda?

Nemo was a fun game, and a pretty nice movie, but not eligible for Brawl, sadly.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
*slaps head* Why did I think of F-Zero's Zoda?

Nemo was a fun game, and a pretty nice movie, but not eligible for Brawl, sadly.
No need to slap yourself now... The two have been mistaken fro the same character for years now, thank you very much, interwebs...

EDIT: Then again, as it turns out, there ARE in fact many interesting parallels between the two characters... Who knows?

parrothead

Smash Lord
*bump*

This video possibly shows the last commercial for the NES series, which also includes Mega Man 6 and ZODA'S REVENGE: STARTROPICS II!

Click here to watch and enjoy it.

According to the commercial, Zoda is "the man with no face".

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
*bump*

This video possibly shows the last commercial for the NES series, which also includes Mega Man 6 and ZODA'S REVENGE: STARTROPICS II!

That was a weird commercial...

Though I did like seeing the Little Ceasar's thing at the beginning. Man, it's been FOREVER since I've seen one for it. Is Little Ceasar's even still in business?

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
That was a weird commercial...

Though I did like seeing the Little Ceasar's thing at the beginning. Man, it's been FOREVER since I've seen one for it. Is Little Ceasar's even still in business?
Yes, Little Caesar's is still in business - albeit barely...

But yeah - Nintendo's early commercials were pretty lame. The original Legend of Zelda commercial still haunts my dreams... o_0;;

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Yes, Little Caesar's is still in business - albeit barely...

But yeah - Nintendo's early commercials were pretty lame. The original Legend of Zelda commercial still haunts my dreams... o_0;;
Hey yo! I'm alive! Anyways regrading commercials..

Here ya go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUAYO7Zyydk

Have fun.

Anyways I was playing...the game which Mike Jones came from...

Highly addicting. O.o

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Hey yo! I'm alive! Anyways regrading commercials..

Here ya go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUAYO7Zyydk

Have fun.

Anyways I was playing...the game which Mike Jones came from...

Highly addicting. O.o
Hey, long time no see DarkKnight... :grin:

Yes, that commercial is a classic - token to the Michael Jackson fever of the 80's - early 90's...

And yeah, Star Tropics is quite addicting - All the more reason to give the series it's due.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Hey, long time no see DarkKnight... :grin:

Yes, that commercial is a classic - token to the Michael Jackson fever of the 80's - early 90's...

And yeah, Star Tropics is quite addicting - All the more reason to give the series it's due.
The reason why I wasn't here? Simple...

PS3,Wii and a X-box 360. =/ Gamer heaven and heavy pocket.

Anyways I have to give where credit is due..Star Topics is a great series. But..once again no sequel. They need to make one for the N-GAGE! Kidding..the DS.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
*bump*

Wow.

I'm pretty sure there is more to Megaman 6 than "fighting evil robots", and I'm sure Zoda is more than "the man with no face".

Ah, how I am always depressed that I was born right when the 80's ended, the age of Nintendo's rising, Rageanomics and when Glam-Metal bands roamed the world (and They Might Be Giants released their first album and "Lincoln")

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Wow.

I'm pretty sure there is more to Megaman 6 than "fighting evil robots", and I'm sure Zoda is more than "the man with no face".

Ah, how I am always depressed that I was born right when the 80's ended, the age of Nintendo's rising, Rageanomics and when Glam-Metal bands roamed the world (and They Might Be Giants released their first album and "Lincoln")
Hell, I was born in the 80's and I still missed out on all of that... :ohwell:

EDIT: Whoops... getting off topic...
At any rate, with a commercial that bad I can see now why neither of those games sold too well, other than the fact the NES was just about dead by then... a shame really...

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Well... they were released around the same time: March 1994. I don't think they were sold together, though...

Also, I goofed: It was in fact Wario's Woods that was the last Nintendo published title for the NES... my bad...
Huh it's all right. I don't even know the last N64 game was made..I think it was Tony Hawk 3. It was made before SBBM oddly enough. Huh..well off to Ebay! Again..I hope I have enough money. -.-

Sandy

Smash Champion

Announcer: Mike!
When selected: Does a pitcher ready stance.
Aternate colors:

Stages (and music):
-C-Island (Overworld theme) (Miracola Theme) -Captain bell’s cove (Dungeon Theme) (Boss theme) - Zoda’s Spaceship (Spaceship dungeon theme) (Zoda's revenge, fight with Zoda theme) Entrance: A chopper drops him off and leaves.
ATTACKS:
A: Single YoYo attack
A + A: Two quick YoYo throws.
A + A + A: Three quick YoYo throws (and so on, you can do this repeatedly)
Down + A: YoYo trip. Fwd + A: Longer reach
Bwd + A: Reverse throw
Up + A: Quick overhead flail
Air N: Aerial Baseball bat horizontal swing
Air U: Aerial YoYo uppercut
Air D: Spike Shoes spike (meteor smash)
Air L: Hard YoYo
Air R: Hard YoYo reverse
S

MASH ATTACKS:
Forward: Shooting Star thrust (morning star-like weapon is hurled forward) Up: Similar to Ness's forward smash, except it tilts upward. Down: Baseball bat 360° swing. (Like Ness's Smash tilt, except this one hits behind as well).

GRABS & THROWS: When pressing “Grab” Mike catches enemy with YoYo (you can turn the YoYo into a Supernova just like Samus can extend her Grappling chain). Mike cannot hold on to ledges with his YoYo like Link and Samus can using their “grabbers”.
When grabbed:

A: Punch
Fwd: Throws opponent with YoYo and blasts him in midair with Psychic Shockwave.
Bwd: Throws opponent with YoYo and blasts him in midair with Psychic Shockwave
Dwn: Swings yoyo down to smash the enemy on the floor.
Up: Throws opponent up into the air and blasts him with a Super Psychic Shockwave.

SPECIAL (B) MOVES: B: Slingshot charge: Longer charged, faster and longer it travels.
B Smash: Heavy throw: Randomly throws: Axe, Dagger or Katana forward.
B Up: Golden Anklet jump: A very high double jump. Enemies will get tackled upwards if they get in the way. B Down: Throwable item: Pulls out a random item for throwing (like Peach’s turnips) B Down’s items: - Horsehide (baseball) = Most common - Bola = common - Torch= uncommon - Twin Shuriken = rare - Spike ball = very rare

BRAWL MOVES: Aimed at Single #1: Supernova ultimate combo: Pummels opponent from a distance with devastating Supernova combos.
Aimed at Single #2: Absolute Pitcher: Takes out every single weapon he’s ever used in his games and throws it at the opponent.
Aimed at Everyone #1: Psychic Shockwave Flurry: Mike starts throwing Ultra Psychic Shockwaves at everyone on the screen. Kinda like Mario’s ultra fireball.
Aimed at Everyone #2: Spike Shoes Frenzy: Kicks everyone in the screen, without fail, multiple times.
Aimed at Everyone #3: Snowman Spell: Takes out the Snowman item and freezes everything that moves for 20 seconds. When 7 seconds remain, everything that had stopped will move at slow-mo until the gauge reaches 0 and everything goes back to normal.
MISC: Stocks:

Shield: Mike takes out the Magic Mirror to reflect energy based attacks. Then the Common spherical shield, preferably colored blue, forms around him.

Taunt 1:Jams bananas in his ears.
Taunt 1 Line 1: “I can’t hear you!”
Taunt 1 Line 2: “I must have bananas in my ears”
Taunt 1 Line 3: “Get outta my head, you scum!”
Taunt 2: Goes back into his 8-bit sprite self with the PAUSE sign on.

Taunt 2 Line: (Sound effect that plays when you press START in a dungeon)

Kirby absorb:
Grows hair and gets freckles.

Wavedash level: Average (Dr. Mario like)

BATTLE END: Victory Pose 1: Does YoYo tricks and returns it to its initial position. Victory Pose 2: Does a pitcher side-to-side looking stance and “throws a fast ball” Victory Line 1: “Wow! I did it!” Victory Line 2: “Under the Southern Cross, anything IS possible!” Possible new
Loss pose: Becomes a blue soul and floats out of the screen.

Emblem Background: Island with palm tree sihlouette in the right, the Southern Cross constelation in the left, and a shooting star in the distance.

Victory song: Preferably, the victory song from Startropics I, after the dungeon boss

Top Bottom