• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Tropics' Mike J. for SSBB

Gaudion

Smash Apprentice
Holy crap, I didn't know Mike had such a following. Star Tropics and Zoda's Revenge are still two of my favorite Nintendo games. That would be so awesome to see him in Brawl, and the boy's got a tool and weapon set that could rival Link. Sign me up in support.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Mike really does need to be in, he was the first video game character to make time travelling even cooler.

parrothead

Smash Lord
After watching the speed-videos of Goonies I and II, I noticed that the protagonist is also name Mike. In Goonies II, he dresses similar to MJ and he also uses a yo-yo as a weapon.

Check out the NES Goonies videos themselves. They'll show you some similarities between both Goonies and both StarTropics titles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh7OMjizfA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMdO3NDdRZw

EDIT: Here is a bonus: The 8-Bit version of the "Goonies R Good Enough" song by Cyndi Lauper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_iFOTPrsk0

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
Oh heck yes!

I love Star Tropics! <3 <3

I haven't seen Mike for awhile. It would be great to see him make a come back.

I mean. Pit came back didn't he? ^^

Let's have Mike in SSBB for some YO-YO smashing goodness.

MIKE JONES FTW!

parrothead

Smash Lord
MikaRabidKitsune, that looks very interesting. I bet the StarTropics fans at the C-Island forum would admire it. Will you show it to them?

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
I love Startropics, and it would be awesome to see Mike in Smash Bros. However, I'm not going to be so narcisstic to think that a America-only character actually deservers a spot in Brawl just because Japan-only characters do. It would be cool, but I'm not holding my breath.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
M-M-M-Monster BUMP!

I did a redesign for Mike.

What do you all think?

I already commented on it at DeviantArt, but I'm gonna say again I like it a lot. I love how you gave him biker gloves :laugh: He's pretty old looking too in that pic, which sets him apart even further from Ness. Very nice.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
urg:urg: Mike Jones the rapper = instant fail, his music sucks so much

Mike Jones the Star Tropics charatcer = cult hero

Yes HiddenTiger, I do realize that wanting him in JUST to balance the Japanese only character ratio is a bit rediculous, but I mostly want him in because of my love of Star tropics
and to appease the NES Cult

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
**** Mika... That's quite a redesign thar... I like it a lot. :grin:

And the whole thing about him being a NA exlusive character to balance out the Japan only ones is NOT the reason we want Mike Jones in SSBB - it's because Star Tropics is a kickass game series, though it does provide a good justification for including him.

simmeh

Smash Rookie
I loved Startropics (and by extension, Zoda's Revenge too). Big part of my childhood. But I have to make this coment:

M-M-M-Monster BUMP!

I did a redesign for Mike.

What do you all think?

Wasn't Mike left-handed? I know that actually in the game he used his right hand to attack, but I remember in the second game that he was reffered to as a "southpaw reliever", though that may have been another play on words.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
**** Mika... That's quite a redesign thar... I like it a lot. :grin:

And the whole thing about him being a NA exlusive character to balance out the Japan only ones is NOT the reason we want Mike Jones in SSBB - it's because Star Tropics is a kickass game series, though it does provide a good justification for including him.
I agree. Startropics does kick major amounts of arse. I'm just saying that NA only characters may not have a lot of chance, mainly because they may not be accepted too well by the Japanese gamer market. I know you could Marth and Roy as a counter-example, but I don't see them porting Startropics to Japan any time soon like they did with FE and the US. Like I said before, it would be absolutely awesome to see Mike in Brawl, but I'm still not counting on it.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Well, the whole North American thing was just giving more backing to the character. The real reason he needs to appear, and should, is simply because it was a franchise of Nintendo's from the vintage NES days and it actually HAD a fanbase. And, regardless, the team that worked on the twin Star Tropics titles also made Punch-Out, which we KNOW has to be appearing. It would be foolish not to include anything from Punch-Out, considering that series' cult following, ya dig?

And my Mike moveset isn't good enough Mika? XD

I do have a great idea for his Super Smash tho. Well, a couple... A friend and I were tossing around ideas the other day.

1) Cleet Quake: Just like the game, Mike jumps up, does a fancy pose, and cleets kick out on his boots. He then proceeds to stomp the crap out of the nearest opponent, then slam the ground ridiculously hard and send everybody flying.

2) Snowman: Pulls out a snowman doll and chucks it. When it hits the ground, it grows massive and sends a blizzard that covers everything in a white haze. Some opponents will get frozen in the squall.

3) Grand Slam: Mike's bat appears in his hands, and he makes a motion like he's aiming for left field, and then dashes at the nearest opponent and smashes them out of the park. Insta-KO on one opponent.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
For his Super smash Attack, how about he joins the three magic cubes together, they start spinning and flashing (like in the end of Star tropics), but instead of
Princess Mica and the kids trapped in the cubes
coming out like in the game, it shoots magic or plasma across the screen?

parrothead

Smash Lord
What about the "Tetrads"? They are the Tetris pieces that Chief Coralcola had to assemble in Zoda's Revenge.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Well, the Tetrads would be a nice reference to the games, definitely. Mike has a ton of potential options for moves... he's basically Link, in the modern day :p

Top Bottom