• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Standing Infinite on Rainbow Cruise (updated with demonstrational vid)

theAPExp

Smash Ace
edit: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8610779&postcount=14
see this or scroll down a few posts

so i decided to make a thread
since the nobody really seemed to notice it in the ddd questions

i haven't read, heard, or seen anybody do this
it's not in matchup guides, not in stage guides, or anything i've seen on the forums
but i also don't really keep up with the ddd forums
not since the metagame turned into grab better

so i found out earlier today by messing around
that you can standing infinite characters with the really short cg distance, like rob and snake, on the top rotation of rainbow cruise. and i mean pretty much everywhere on the top section.

the main restriction i noticed
- had to be facing left. why, i dunno... since the screen scrolls right it made no sense. standing infinites on platforms like the rc carpets and smashville's have to be done going in the direction they're moving. so it goes against the known standard, or the stage is ACTUALLY MOVING left while the screen stays still.

my assumptions, i only tested this for like 10minutes:
- i tried this on mk, couldn't get it, on platforms or on the stage
so i assumed if i can't cg you then i can't do this on you.
- tried this on marth, couldn't get it, on platforms or stage
assumed that if you went a decent distance away it didn't have much of an effect, might open up some smallsteps though.
- haven't tested whether it stales or not, needing a pummel to ignore this. i don't think it does, or it's unlikely to matter to much since the stage scrolling makes it to where you really won't do a large amount anyway.
- even if this is new to the forum, which i still dunno if it is or not, somebody already knows this and is keeping it to themselves. shame

usefulness:
- well, since you have to be facing left for it to work. you could normally just cg right off the side for a kill anyway. so on stage it's useless unless the stage is restricted. for example snake's grenade is down, rob's top is there, one of the fall away blocks is randomly missing, so you can stall till the restriction isn't there anymore.
- but it's great if you catch em on the platforms, since they sometimes camp these to avoid the lethal grab on stage. so if you somehow catch em on the platform, it's lethal there too.
- most tourneys with the standing infnite banned don't count stage assisted infinites, like walls, so it should be legal unless your tourney organizer really hates ddd...
- maybe they'll ban rainbow cruise instead of castle siege... that's pretty much what i hope to get outta this

anyway, if it's new to people, woot, if it's not... then i guess lock it down like every other new thread posted in the brawl character sections

TlocCPU

Smash Apprentice
pretty useful but i would rather just walk-off chaingrab
plus it is very difficult to get the grab at that part of the stage because they're scared of the walkoff

theAPExp

Smash Ace
it's really only useful if you catch em on the platforms

this counts the whole top (to my knowledge) though
the platform left and above the pendulum
the blocks over the pendulum, i assume.
i didn't even bother testing this although you could prolly do this on a falling block
and everything right of this until the stage starts going down to where you gotta get on the boat

i might just be everywhere once the stage starts scrolling right

Jupz

Smash Master
still this is pretty cool for the reasons you mentioned. nice discovery.

we should make a list of everyone this works on.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Instead of testing it yourself.
I'd test it, but my Brawl disc is broken >_<
So, let's keep this to ourself. I'd hate for other charecters to advance their chain grab, you know how that always works out for us :/

Prawn

Smash Master
Instead of testing it yourself.
So, let's keep this to ourself. I'd hate for other charecters to advance their chain grab, you know how that always works out for us :/
zinnnnnnnnngggg

time to test Sopo's CG skillz on t3h rainbow crooz.

theAPExp

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAd-scv02Vk

ok, so i made the vid with some of my initial testing this afternoon

but i have dial up
and as a result
uploading took forever
so i finished my testing
while it was uploading
just use the vid as a demonstrational

my results of real testing:

standing regrab
snake
charizard
rob
wolf
wario
ddd
bowser
dk
samus
ivy (c beef)
yoshi (c beef)
sopo (c beef)

regrab only with edge

ike

dtilt out of grab
everyone you can regrab
ganon
link
cf

dtilt only with edge
ike

ALL OF THIS IGNORES STALING
in the vid i did it all in training mode
so it left staling up in the air
silly me
but i retested it in free for all mode
with a complete no question staled dthrow
as i just dthrowed into the boat wall to kill time
till the stage rotated to where i wanted it

and yes this can only be done
once the screen starts to scroll right
and you have to be facing left
2 platforms appear when the screen
starts it's right scroll
they're the best indicators

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention.
I especially like the downtilt after words. the specifics of how the works is a little odd
Ike on the edge
Charizard standing regrab but not on Wolf.
Very wonky

theAPExp

Smash Ace
you can actually get the grab > dtilt on wolf
regardless of placement
i just forgot to update that from testing i did after the video was made

and i can only get the stuff on ike
because he just sorta sits there after he goes off the side
so if spaced right you can regab or dtilt
it's the same concept when doing off edge regrabs and dtilts for other stages

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAd-scv02Vk

ok, so i made the vid with some of my initial testing this afternoon

but i have dial up
and as a result
uploading took forever
so i finished my testing
while it was uploading
just use the vid as a demonstrational

my results of real testing:

standing regrab
snake
charizard
rob
wolf
wario
ddd
bowser
dk
samus

regrab only on edge

ike

dtilt out of grab
everyone you can regrab
ganon
link
cf

dtilt only on edge
ike

ALL OF THIS IGNORES STALING
in the vid i did it all in training mode
so it left staling up in the air
silly me
but i retested it in free for all mode
with a complete no question staled dthrow
as i just dthrowed into the boat wall to kill time
till the stage rotated to where i wanted it

and yes this can only be done
once the screen starts to scroll right
and you have to be facing left
2 platforms appear when the screen
starts it's right scroll
they're the best indicators
I also did testing on everything here yesterday, and you covered everybody...except Yoshi, and a single Ice Climber. Yoshi and a single Ice Climber can be regrabbed anywhere in this area except the lumpy parts...and he can be also on the platforms.
It doesn't work on Ganondorf...I have no idea why, but after testing, you can't regrab or down tilt him.

And another error to your research theAPE...I need to announce also that, In general.... we can down tilt anybody on any edge. We do this by slightly tapping the control stick down, while buffering A, after a down throw. We'll get them every time because by slightly tapping the control stick, we cancel our crouch animation, and the down tilt comes out quick enough to hit everybody on the list.

I have found something else.

After testing what characters can fall victim to our standing regrabbing, I observed and found this. That platform that King Dedede is on....moves! It moves in the same manner as Smashville's platform...it's not as noticeable because the in-game camera moves too...but you'll notice it. Remember the black & white stripes...
So that means that whoever we can chaingrab...we can treat it as Smashville's platform, we can keep regrabbing whoever, but as long as we're facing to the left. Don't forget we can regrab anyone while we are facing the right too...as long as the platform moves in the same direction as we are.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
AH! So I see. that makes sense based off what I've seen from fiddling with game programing. Instead of having set objects, they are set to appear and be created when the objects come near them. Like how you can see them drift off into the distance. The camera is constant, but since everything is moving, its not noticeable. In reality, the camera never moves. The same design can be applied to 2d platforms as well.

NOW it makes sense.

theAPExp

Smash Ace
beef you can do it on that moving platform and the carpets (to an extent, cause they move through other platforms sometimes and it'll mess with it)
and people have known about that for awhile
at least i assumed they did cause moving platform stuff is old news....

i didn't even think to test yoshi

and trying to test ice climbers
almost made me punch a wall
so i quit about 10min in

you couldn't dtilt ganon?
i can do that just fine
and i only said that it was likely you could regrab ganon in the vid
but i hadn't tried it when the vid was made
and i said just to use the vid as a demonstrational
not facts

and i think you're misreading the part where i said dtilt only on edge
ike's the only character i found that could be dtilted only on the edge
i figured it was safe to assume that if you could dtilt out of a grab on the stage
then special conditions like a "fall off the edge" animation weren't needed

sorry if this comes off harsh or snappy, worked sucked and it's been a long day

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
You should test this with other characters, see if it applies, and bring it to Brawl Tactical. This really isn't known about.
I mean, an ICs player didn't know about it.

Jupz

Smash Master
Don't bring it to brawl tactical, lets leave it with us :p

Its not like its hidden or anything, but why bring it out in the open?

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
beef you can do it on that moving platform and the carpets (to an extent, cause they move through other platforms sometimes and it'll mess with it)
and people have known about that for awhile
at least i assumed they did cause moving platform stuff is old news....

i didn't even think to test yoshi

and trying to test ice climbers
almost made me punch a wall
so i quit about 10min in

you couldn't dtilt ganon?
i can do that just fine
and i only said that it was likely you could regrab ganon in the vid
but i hadn't tried it when the vid was made
and i said just to use the vid as a demonstrational
not facts

and i think you're misreading the part where i said dtilt only on edge
ike's the only character i found that could be dtilted only on the edge
i figured it was safe to assume that if you could dtilt out of a grab on the stage
then special conditions like a "fall off the edge" animation weren't needed

sorry if this comes off harsh or snappy, worked sucked and it's been a long day
Do you have proof of a thread or post?
Don't you even dare say that it's old news, I heard nothing of the sort anywhere in any board. If even you...who tested these regrabs, couldn't find this, then nobody else found it but me. It's not old news, you're just saying that, it was never mentioned anywhere for the longest time.

Well that's your fault if you didn't test Yoshi, I don't care and as far as I'm concerned...he's part of the list of regrabs and down tilt.
And I seriously think that you're just saying that about Uce Climbers too. There's a reason that I tested a single Ice Climber, and I did it just fine in the none-moving platforms and on the terrace.

Yes we can down tilt Ganondorf, I don't know what I was thinking when I said we couldn't.
We cannot regrab Ganondorf anywhere at any time in this area, regardless of what you said, I was just simply stating it.

If you're referring to down tilting Ike only on an edge after a down throw, then that's a disappointment, I could down tilt almost everybody that's in the list. I really think that you don't know about slightly tapping the control stick...<----that's the fact that you're missing in your down tilt testing. It will work everytime.

And Crashic, obviously an Ice Climbers player didn't know about this...NOBODY did because it's only in the King Dedede boards when this was brought to our attention.
The reason that we tested it...was to logically test it on other characters, everybody who's not on that list was already tested and does not cooperate with the regrabbing or anything.

theAPExp

Smash Ace
Do you have proof of a thread or post?
Don't you even dare say that it's old news, I heard nothing of the sort anywhere in any board. If even you...who tested these regrabs, couldn't find this, then nobody else found it but me. It's not old news, you're just saying that, it was never mentioned anywhere for the longest time.
we've all known you can cg people on the platform for sv
for quite awhile now, m2k even did it in a match
i just assumed people knew you could do that on all moving platforms
i even mentioned that you could do the infinites on the carpets in my first post in this thread like they were old news.
if people still think it's new, then gratz, you discovered another place to do an older known version of the standing infinite

Well that's your fault if you didn't test Yoshi, I don't care and as far as I'm concerned...he's part of the list of regrabs and down tilt.
i never said it wasn't my fault, i seriously just forgot to test yoshi. i even added yoshi to the post with the list last night, and gave you credit for it after i went back and confirmed it with my own testing.

And I seriously think that you're just saying that about Uce Climbers too. There's a reason that I tested a single Ice Climber, and I did it just fine in the none-moving platforms and on the terrace.
i didn't have an extra controller or person to make sopo easy to test. i had to test this on the cpu which kills itself alot on that stage and it was just crazy frustrating to get a sopo in position to where i could get a test going. (i dunno if it was the same for you and you were just more patient and/or lucky at getting a setup than i was) but it was like 10minutes of hate when i messed around the first time so i just gave up. after you said it could be done last night i went and tried it, after about 30min of saying to myself "i swear beef better be right about this." i finally got an opening to do a regrab and a dtilt. once again i updated it to the post with the list and gave you credit.

Yes we can down tilt Ganondorf, I don't know what I was thinking when I said we couldn't.
We cannot regrab Ganondorf anywhere at any time in this area, regardless of what you said, I was just simply stating it.
my bad, i had misinterpreted what you said. as i thought you were saying that i had made some statement that ganon could be regrabbed.

If you're referring to down tilting Ike only on an edge after a down throw, then that's a disappointment, I could down tilt almost everybody that's in the list. I really think that you don't know about slightly tapping the control stick...<----that's the fact that you're missing in your down tilt testing. It will work everytime.
i still think we're misunderstanding each other here
what i'm saying
is ike is the only person that i had to use an edge to get the dtilt on
i can dtilt everyone that's in the "dtilt from grab" list everywhere. edge or no edge
i just couldn't dtilt ike without an edge
if this is the case i think i'm going to change it from dtilt only on edge > dtilt only with edge. and same for the regrab.
and if it's not the case, then i really don't get what you're trying to say : /

and for everybody saying about testing other characters. i'm not proficient or knowledgeable enough with the other big grab characters: pika, falco, or ic's. to do any real testing for them but i'll try some later. this might be more or less useless to ic's unless it's with sopo. if anything we might find out they got some extra stuff on us. maybe we can scrap some stuff together and put it in tactical if we care too.

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
This may be a dumb question, but since the camera is moving to the right, and you must face left to stand and regrab, then theoretically couldn't you face right and regrab when your on the ship, when it's moving left?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
No Johns, get another one.

This may be a dumb question, but since the camera is moving to the right, and you must face left to stand and regrab, then theoretically couldn't you face right and regrab when your on the ship, when it's moving left?
The ship has a wall so you can just do the wall infinite there anyway.

This is an incredible find. Does it work on Marth, Lucario, Lucas, Ness, etc. (ie. All the characters Dedede can chaingrab that weren't listed)? Also, does it enable us to chaingrab anyone we couldn't normally?

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
OSHI-

what other moving stages might that be abusable on? If it's the stage, and not the camera, that's moving, where else can that be applied? Delfino? Halberd? Or is there not enough horizontal motion on either of those two to mean much?

And this really should go in tactical, especially the RC camera thing.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
Gates, I think no one new is chain grabbed because they go into the fall state instead of the standing slide.

Also I can't seem to hit dtilt after a chaingrab on any normal stage <_>

theAPExp

Smash Ace
i can't get it on anybody you can't normally cg
the fall down animation they have still puts em out of grab range

i'm still not entirely sure you can't get it on people you can normally cg
but if you can the timing is scary tight even for buffering

and at mk26
to my knowledge delfino and halberd aren't considered moving stages for the most part
i think in halberd's case the background moves around the stage
and delfino i really dunno, i wanna say the transistions load or spawn. cause there's a part where you can go underwater in the "background" as you're flying by in delfino and all it does is overlap your character visually
if there's any exploits for other stages it would most likely be using moving platforms like the known case on sv.
frigate's horizontal platforms or something like that

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
delfino just has a moving background. then objects move up at you, and then it moves down.
All motion in this game is an illusion.

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
No Johns, get another one.

The ship has a wall so you can just do the wall infinite there anyway.

This is an incredible find. Does it work on Marth, Lucario, Lucas, Ness, etc. (ie. All the characters Dedede can chaingrab that weren't listed)? Also, does it enable us to chaingrab anyone we couldn't normally?
Well..yeah...but what if you didn't grab them so that you wall him. Like near the propellers or on the platforms?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
At Gates, Actually, it would be important because then we could infinite Diddy and Snake still. a smart Diddy and a smart Snake will plant either a mine or banana there to stop the infinite.
Though, I don't think the ship moves. I think the other objects move, and the ship doesn't until it crashes. Its far less for the game to do that way.

Top Bottom