• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Standard Rules DPP

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

These are the standard rules for competitive Pokémon play. This will be updated as needed.

- 6 Pokémon

- 1 vs 1

- No auto-leveling

- No item Clause

- No impossible attack combinations

- You may only put 1 of your opponent's Pokémon to sleep at a time

- You may only use 1 of a species of Pokémon

The following Pokémon are banned:

Mew
Mewtwo
Lugia
Ho-Oh
Groudon
Kyogre
Rayquaza
Latios
Dialga
Palkia
Darkrai
Giratina
Manaphy
Arceus
Shaymin (Sky Forme)
Wynaut
Wobbuffet
Deoxys R/S
Deoxys E
Deoxys FR
Deoxys LG

The following attacks are banned:

Sheer Cold
Horn Drill
Guillotine
Fissure
Double Team
Minimize

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Very nice and standard. Although I believe Garchomp should be banned due to Sand Veil, leaving him unbanned only allows for higher standards of play. Good job on the rules.

D

Deleted member

Shaymin S aka Skymin is currently unavailable to our DS metagame. When it is, I'll address the issue. I think it should be banned immediately after playtesting it for only 3 hours, but I acknowledge that my opinion differs from others.

Garchomp will remain unbanned until it is retested on Smogon.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Garchomp will remain in the uber list until smogon removes it from there. If people are seeking advice on how to build teams in the standard environment it does them no good to recieve suggestions on pokemon that do not exist in the OU tier.

Also, hi new mods. :D

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Hi chill. :) On the contrary, if people are seeking to become the best players they can be, an environment with Garchomp in it can only help to better them as players. Regardless of Smogon's decision to ban Garchomp or not, ( I personally think it was the right decision) no harm can come from leaving him unbanned here. Plus, people can play by their own rules anyways, these are just the standard, suggested format.

And also Umbreon has been playing Pokemon the longest out of anyone in the community...Even Smogoners. He's a veteran and I'd trust his word and judgement over anyone's. So, if that helps to ease your mind, I'm not sure. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

D

Deleted member

Garchomp will remain in the uber list until smogon removes it from there. If people are seeking advice on how to build teams in the standard environment it does them no good to recieve suggestions on pokemon that do not exist in the OU tier.
Garchomp will remain in Smogon's uber tier list until Smogon removes it from there. While Smogon may have founded the basis for standard rules, I don't see any reason to utilize their policies until they're settled. For example, the ladder is currently allowing Shaymin-S, which we don't even have access to. They also plan to test evasion clause, deoxys lg, and a bunch of things that clearly have no place in standard play.

For the rest of us, Garchomp may or may not be uber, but as it stayed in OU play from 4-07 until 9-08, it has just as much of a place in standard play as Deoxys E does.

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
that means i can use my deoxys-s and my yachie barry sword dancing garchomp in my sandstorm team.

why no auto leveling? getting a pokemon to lv 100 is a waste a time. also if everyones pokemon was around lv 50-60 some one could just get a lv 100 from GTS and use that to win even if the lv 100 was not ev trained as a 40-50 lv difference is to big.

ive never had the chance to fully test my deoxys-s so this might be nice.
deoxys-s @ leftovers
serious nature >.>
evs 252 in hp the rest is between atk,sp.def, and def maybe 20 into spd.
well at lv 81 its stats are 228 hp/ 192 atk/ 179 def/ 169 sp.atk/ 179 sp.def/ 325 spd
moves
cosmic power
recover
night shade
drain punch

cosmic power-> recover ->repeat after enough boosts night shade/drain punch to slowly beat their pokemon down. drain punch gives me hp back so i have 2 hp recovery moves+ leftovers

D

Deleted member

Try Registeel instead

Registeel @ Leftovers
Clear Body
Relaxed
252 HP 60 Def 196 SpD
Metal Claw/ Iron Head
Curse/ Iron Defense
Amnesia
Rest

godspeed.

autoleveling undermines the few people crazy enough to use lv 1s. Both players can agree to use autoleveling, but if a player denies you, you know something is up and that's an unfair advantage. The best solution is to throw it out the window.

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
well i would't mind if they don't want auto lv as my lead is usually ttar so sandstorm would ruin their focus sash. also wouldn't FEAR pokemon work at lv 100 as they would have low Hp and defenses. a lv 100 starly with perfect 31 ivs will have 221hp and 96 def/sp.def so most attacks would take it down to 1 hp anyway. the only problem is it might be faster then a few pokemon.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Garchomp will remain in Smogon's uber tier list until Smogon removes it from there. While Smogon may have founded the basis for standard rules, I don't see any reason to utilize their policies until they're settled. For example, the ladder is currently allowing Shaymin-S, which we don't even have access to. They also plan to test evasion clause, deoxys lg, and a bunch of things that clearly have no place in standard play.

For the rest of us, Garchomp may or may not be uber, but as it stayed in OU play from 4-07 until 9-08, it has just as much of a place in standard play as Deoxys E does.
The Garchomp issue is settled. Smogon is widely accepted as creating the standard as that is where the most experienced players are. Smogon is to pokemon what smashboards is smash bros.

I personally feel that Deoxys-S is uber but I won't attempt to ban it here. If we are not going to follow the standard by dissallowing Garchomp why should we follow any of the other standard rules that stem from smogon?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Garchomp was the first on that list. The community voted and Garchomp was deemed uber. So why do we need to wait for platinum to "settle" before you adopt the standard rules? If I asked which pokemon could not be used in a UU battle what would you say? Where would you look for a tier list? And yet you don't want to put Garchomp in ubers because...? Your bias is clearly showing.

Nathan9914

Smash Rookie
I just go all out with lucario and blaziken moves (blaziken) sky uppercut, slash, double kick, blaze kick. (lucario) aura sphere, dragon pulse, force palm, close combat. (garchomp is still in training so nothing special...) sand tomb, dragon rage, dragon claw, crunch.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Hey, thats my stallsteel set up there T.T

I've swept teams with that.

While I don't necessarily agree with Chill, I will say that Garchomp was voted uber in the same way the tier list for smash was made. Many matches were watched/tested and the most experienced and knowledgeable players and was then voted upon. It seemed obvious to ban Garchomp when the fact that there was no way to counter Yache Chomp arose. The fact that it would always, no matter what take out at least one pokemon made it equally as broken as Wobbuffet(Ironically the fact that you couldn't switch out on Garchomp without giving it a free Swords Dance made it equally if not more dangerous than Wobbuffet)

Granted, smogon itself I dont fully trust. The fact that their looking into things like the Evasion clause and Deoxys-D while ignoring something as obvious as Stealth Rocks seems crazy to me. There's also the randomly fluctuating pokemon like Aerodactl who went from OU to BL to UU back to OU. The fact of the matter is nothing about Aerodactl changed so why does it keep changing tier?

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Wait, so you can't raise evasion, but you can lower accuracy? And what about accupressure, it can increase evasion can't it?

I'm not very informed on the pokemon competitive scene....

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
LOLLL @ Smogon testing evasion clause.

That right there is more than enough for me to never trust them or go to their site for any reason.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
You can lower accuracy because your opponent is free to remove it themselves(by switching) however they have no control if you just sit there and Double Team over and over again. Double Team is made even more powerful due to the fact that pokemon like Cresselia learn it meaning that even if you do manage to hit, their massive defensive stats will keep them from being KO'd and they can recover off damage.

I think accupressure, at least on shoddy is made to not raise evasion, although im not sure as its not widely used.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Plain and simple: There is no way, shape, or form that Evasion Clause should ever need to be tested. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Lol, I prefer the idea of testing Deoxys-D in standard. Its basically what Shuckle wants to be. Massive defense, actual HP and the ability to Calm Mind so that it can actually kill something. Its a BETTER version of Cresselia, the best wall in the game.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Granted, smogon itself I dont fully trust. The fact that their looking into things like the Evasion clause and Deoxys-D while ignoring something as obvious as Stealth Rocks seems crazy to me. There's also the randomly fluctuating pokemon like Aerodactl who went from OU to BL to UU back to OU. The fact of the matter is nothing about Aerodactl changed so why does it keep changing tier?
That's actually one of the things I think should be changed. But the OU tier is short for overused and so the pokemon that appear in that tier are based on usage. Aerodactly's usage jumped up due to the popularity of "suicide leads" so he found himself in OU. It's happened to Tentacruel a few times.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
That's actually one of the things I think should be changed. But the OU tier is short for overused and so the pokemon that appear in that tier are based on usage. Aerodactly's usage jumped up due to the popularity of "suicide leads" so he found himself in OU. It's happened to Tentacruel a few times.
But the fact that he's used more doesn't make him any better. If he can't dominate UU why not let him in there? I mean, it's not something like Alakazam, a pokemon that you know is good but not quite amazing, its really just not that great of a pokemon, so why should its usage keep it from where it belongs? Idk, it just seems odd, its like if Bowser made a jump into high tier just because everyone used him(not even won with him, just used him)

D

Deleted member

if evasion clause and deoxys LG are admitted to OU, I will quit this game.

Updated to add Deoxys-S to the ban list.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
ill probably sound stupid saying this, but shouldn't the mean look-perish song combo be banned? for the reason of, the user (A) uses mean look on the opponent (B)
DUH
and then A uses perish song and then on third turn A switches out leaving B for an auto KO (unless items are used)

/idea

zrky

Smash Lol'd
roar can miss? I did not know that 0_o
just curious, what is the best tactic to use hail with?

ss118

Smash Master
Sorry to mini-mod, but please keep the random "hail" discussion away from this thread. that isn't being mentioned in the title nor OP, nor does it at all pertain to the point of this thread in any which way, shape, or form.

Aerodactyl shifts from UU to OU because of statistics. You can't use the bowser example to compare to this because the bowser loses, while the statistics provided to make Aerodactyl OU is based off the users overall rating so it won't be skewed in a similar manner as to your bowser example.

Garchomp should be banned, but IIRC you put it on the list so I won't argue. I personally got the voting priviledges to vote it into that category.

Anyway, rules are good and I agree with the level up thing because I am one of those crazy people who <3 lvl 1's

D

Deleted member

why isn't aero at least BL when it doesn't make the OU list? this has baffled me for ages.

tbh I don't really care what people talk about so long as I don't have to modhammer them.

I don't care what anyone says, Gardevoir is amazing.

D

Deleted member

I'm just not enough of a pansy to ban Quick Claw. Sorry.

heytallman

CTALL
I'm just not enough of a pansy to ban Quick Claw. Sorry.
Quick Claw always f's me up in the battle tower....kinda. It's just really annoying to see some random Relicanth or something attack before your Weavile.

Also, I <3 Aerodactyl, it was the first Pokemon I ever EV'd.....where was I going with this? I guess just 'cause everyone was talking about him, I should too.

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
Why is double team/ minimise banned?
Its not like double team pokemon win anyway. The chances of hitting remain high for a number of turns, with which you can use to swords dance > OHKO it and then proceed to sweep the rest of the opponents.

Same with OHKO moves. Yeah its luck, but most of the time you only get one kill from all 5 PP, when it takes them 2hits to kill you. Most of the time the pokemon goes out for a duck (was completely useless).
You cannot rely on such luck in battle tower, theyre really supposed to be for emergencies when you cant do anything else.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Because those moves turn Pokemon into a game of luck. Ages ago, players tested the evasion clause. Aerial Ace, Shock Wave, Vital Throw, and such moves were used by players during the tests to counter the effects of evasion. In the end, it was ruled that high evasion ruins the game for competitive battling because it turns the game into hax-fest. We wanted to create an environment so that battlers could determine who was better, not who was luckier. The same is true for OHKO moves, to remove luck. We do this in smash too by banning hostile stages and all items.

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
Okay. I see your point.
The thing that I was thinking is that its a suboptimal strategy. I've tried to use double team and OHKOs to win matchs in battle tower and such and its not nearly as effective as just usung fast, powerful
pokemon.
I have a really defensive cresselia (as much as I could) that cant switch in on a few pokemon because they are faster and do half damage, let alone try to double team.
I dont really use OHKOs much at all because I know that there are much more reliable ways to achieve those results (swords dance or dragon dance).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom