• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

stage ruleset?

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
I honestly do not think we should even bother trying to do this. If we are, it's gonna be a lot of perfectionism and discrepancy about pretty much everything. Some of us may have seen the unity ruleset discussion, that stuff is going nowhere. Not only because 90% of the people there are *******, but also because regardless of how capable we are of intelligent discussion, we really wouldn't end up with something everyone agrees with.

So long as there's no 100% consensus, countries will just stick to their own stagelists. We have no tools to enforce stagelists upon countries and even if we did, we wouldn't abuse them because that'd be ******** to do.

Germany apparently loves PS2 and to be fair, I have no aspiration to try and convince them of it being a real homo stage. Only Germany has it legal (perhaps Finland, but **** Finland) and that's fine. Let's not make things overly complicated.

I do want to specifically ask every country should at least consider removing FD from the neutral stage selection, I don't think anyone really agrees with its traditional spot as a insta-strike by now.
Well, I kinda agree with you. It sure is impossible to make everyone 100% happy. That's why we are using different rulesets atm, every country has different likes.
But on the other hand, you know how good it would be if everyone would use the same.

At least in Germany we try to establish a standard ruleset, so in the future every german tournament will use the same ruleset. I guess it's a good thing to begin with, if every region could establish their own ruleset. Maybe they will change it over the time and the rulesets will get nearer, when they players/ruleset-creaters get impacted by the other rulesets. For example people often go to german tournaments, then they get used to their ruleset and try to convince their own country to use it in the future and probably the other people agree then.

Well, to sad it's nothing but an example.
In short, I agree with you, it very likely is too soon to try something like that.

Staco

Smash Champion
germany is not only using fd, sv, bf + mk cps

stop telling crap akuma

every stage is used as a cp, and thats done by almost every player

I think >50% of the sets are not played on sv, bf, fd only
even lc is often a result of stage striking

germans also just have ps2 allowed, because yikarur and semifer put it into the msn ruleset, its not because germans like it, I think most of them dont like it
and its still used, because the german hosts just take the rules of past tourneys with minor changes, for example DS having ps1 instead of yi as a starter and rc instead of brinstar

Lord Chair

Smash Master
What is Europes point of view on the following 2 things?

- FD being a neutral.
- Legality of Brinstar.

From what I hear few people actually support FD as a neutral (almost always being an instaban), Brinstar is almost never played on insofar I know but several people (including myself) are really against allowing it.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Brinstar is borderline broken to me ... ban it or not, I don't think either decision is wrong. I'm not in support of FD as starter [unless we strike out of all legal stages, which would be ideal imo] ... FD / BF /YI / Lylat and one of the PS stages are probably the most agreeable [probably turning out with PS1 as neutral cuz ppl dislike PS2].

:059:

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Wait, before this turns in a discussion à la Unity ruleset I would like to suggest people discuss it on a national level and then voice the opinion of the whole country rather than individual points of view.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
I guess Germany's opinion towards FD as a neutral is really half/half.
Some goes with Brinstar.

@Staco: It's mostly FD, SV, BF + MK CPs anyway (Delfino, Fregate [RC, Brinstar if allowed])
LC, YI, Castle, Halberd, PS1, PS2 are really rare.
Kunai is bad if he really thinks he has a better MU on that stage <_<

Flayl

Smash Hero
Portugal doesn't find Brinstar to be bannable because there is nothing about it that is uncontrollable and it's usuallly a good counterpick option for characters that are outcamped by the opponent, or against characters that need set-ups.

We're iffy on Rainbow Ride because the second half of it allows easy air-camping, as seen in M2K's videos, but we're keeping it legal until there's better evidence that it's degenerate.

So if you really want to tailor the stage list to attempt to balance MK (I personally don't agree with this because you're removing options for other characters but whatever) then taking out Rainbow Ride should be enough. Ban Brinstar and he can take you to Frigate/Delfino at worst, which although still good for him aren't really on the same level as Brinstar/Rainbow.

I don't agree with taking out Final Destination for "balance" purposes. Think about it, in a 5 stage starter list, if you character doesn't like FD then if you replace it you should strike the next flattest level, barring gimmick options on other stages (like Sonic's spin dash on YI). The point of striking is to reach the medium, so of course FD is going to be striked if your character isn't good on flat stages.

This ties in with the definition of starter that you're using. To me (not all Portuguese feel this way but they don't really complain) a starter is a stage that interferes as little as possible with the player's actions. Yoshi's Island in this case is a necessary evil to have a 5 stage list.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Olaf, I'm against using an EU-wide unity ruleset anyway. But we're already discussing it on a "national" level on the german boards.

:059:

Lord Chair

Smash Master
The idea isn't necessarily to make a unity ruleset, 's why I am not asking for discussion but for simply for reasoning behind what countries have right now.

We seem to be riding the same train we've been riding in 2009 without really putting a lot of extra thought in it, just taking a fresh look at where we are right now is simply a healthy practice. As I said earlier, we have never really attempted to actively convince each other of our opinion because we know it's a void practice.

I simply feel like knowing why certain countries accept certain rulesets is a favorable insight which cannot really do any harm. If certain countries find themselves to not actually agree all that much with their own stagelist then, well, taking another look at it has apparently proven itself positive :p

I repeat: I'm not asking for discussion or criticism.

Yikarur

Smash Master
we (germany) try to invent a 7 Starter List that includes FD, SV, BF, PS1, PS2, LC and YI.

I'm for a 7 Starter List because it's not possibly to use 5 without bias. 7 is also a effective way to keep FD in. I'm actually against keeping FD out of 5 starters because FD is a really fine stage but I see the problems with that. 7 Starters would solve that problem easily.

The Argument "I don't see Stage X counterpicked at all" doesn't matter. The least Counterpick Stage I've seen ever is probably CS. That doesn't mean CS is useless and should get out of our list.

Brinstar is a borderline stage for EU's Point of View but there is no reason to keep it completly out. The more I play on that stage the more "ok" the stage becomes for me.

I think EUs mentality is flatout bad (mostly) and a unity stagelist would be impossible.
France would never agree on everything except ban everything. (remember Myollnir beating Leon? poor guy.. because the frenchies blamed him heavily for playing ics =/ "ban ICs" )

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Dude Yika.

Again, I'm not asking for personal opinions. I want collective reasoning for agreed upon national stagelists.

And again, I am not trying to stimulate a Unity ruleset.

Srsly gais read my ****.

Staco

Smash Champion
I guess Germany's opinion towards FD as a neutral is really half/half.
Some goes with Brinstar.

@Staco: It's mostly FD, SV, BF + MK CPs anyway (Delfino, Fregate [RC, Brinstar if allowed])
LC, YI, Castle, Halberd, PS1, PS2 are really rare.
Kunai is bad if he really thinks he has a better MU on that stage <_<
no, because brinstar really isnt that bad for tink

I also see other stages than orpheon getting picked pretty often, not just by mk users, could give you lots of examples from last tourney
pd doesnt get picked that often

@ yika: we havent decided about that yet and I seriously think you shouldnt post any br stuff in here, before its finished

.selebu

Smash Journeyman
i don't get chairs whole idea
you want every nation to give a statement about their stagelist?
because i wonder if any nation besides maybe france can do that =D

i vote for the SWF BBR Unity Ruleset =P

Greward

Smash Lord
5 starters with FD is okay

if its 3 starters then i'd put BF, SV and Lylat (lylat must be in =P)

brinstar is **** really **** so much **** but its playable ****

K@0S

Smash Ace
European postulate (or at least French) :

"Whatever the starters and whatever their number, the last one standing after the striking phase will always be Smashville."

ngfc_0

Smash Apprentice
This topic is so worthless lol... everyone throws their prefered stage list but then the tournaments end up with the same stages, which don't have much issues.
Maybe you should be talking about banning certain characters instead of stages :p

Lord Chair

Smash Master
This topic is so worthless lol... everyone throws their prefered stage list but then the tournaments end up with the same stages, which don't have much issues.
Maybe you should be talking about banning certain characters instead of stages :p
Real derp.

Who are you even.

Staco

Smash Champion
Yeah, let´s ban all low tiers, so the game gets more fair overall.
Low Tiers can be played in LT tourneys then. :awesome:

Staco

Smash Champion
Distant Planet for only starter map.
That way people get used to it and the stage will be fine. :D

But yeah, Im not sure about the stage, can be abused for some cirlce camping.

Greward

Smash Lord
as can any stage in this game if MK exists

mmm maybe bridge of eldin cant, shadow moses neither

lets play there

happy dedede is happy

ngfc_0

Smash Apprentice
Staco has good ideas, low tiers should be banned from tournaments and low tier events would be played only on banned stages :D (with distant planet as starter for example)

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
Whenever a dispute like this arises, you should just go straight to Summit and let the fish decide.

Staco

Smash Champion
Actually circle camping on stages such as BF and SV is way harder without grabbing the ledge than circle camping on Distant Planet.
You can go through the platform which makes it so easy to circle camp without having to grab the ledge (which would make you lose the match).

Top Bottom