• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage .H.A.C.K.ing Central

br3compactor

Smash Ace
Sorry, I think I'm being too hasty, trying to go for a 3D stage without even making a 2D stage before.

Let's see if you guys can help me with this:

Steps:

1 - Open in Brawlbox both the stage you want as the sender and the stage you want as a receiver of models.
2 - Export whatever mdl0 you might transfer.

The step 3 would be Import the model to ModelData[2] on the receiver stage, but that'd be for Final Destination, but for Mewtwo_2000's Wi-Fi Destination, would it be that way too? I mean, the actual stage is in the ModelData[1].

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
You should make a 2-D stage so you can get the hang of using textures and collisions first.

The OP has a template for you to get started.

Edit: I never knew that's how to loop the animation.

Edit2: This stage I'm making is taking much longer than I thought, but fortunately, there are no foul ups. Thank the lord I have the source material textures, even if they are crumbled together.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
While you're loading it over an used modeldata, it's fine. Wifi-destination is just a one-model stage, with an empty model in modeldata[2], but you're supposed to place your models in there with no problem. The only thing that could stop you from putting a model into modeldata[2] is knowing that the whole modeldata[2] will be ignored if the stage is used as wifi room. You're not supposed to make your stage as a wifi room, but as a final destination, so you can add your models in there. Also, you can import them to modeldata[101] too.

Also, be sure you're importing the proper texturedata too. Make import brres file, and select the texturedata from the original stage. It will be imported as a miscdata[0]. You have to change the values on the right to make it a texturedata[1], and make it have the fileId=-1. Then, delete the unused textures, if you know which of them are not used.

Also, if you don't easily get how brawlbox works, you should do what Eternal Yoshi says, getting a 2D template and make some tests first. Anyway, if you understand the basics, a 2D stage is no needed. I did not start with 2D stages, I made some background swaps and even started Fourside before the 2D stages were 'invented'.

The only 2D stages I made were for helping others with their beginner projects indeed xD

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Tried pits stage and let me tell you not a good idea
haven't tried online training's however can't test now because my bro is using the wii -___-

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Hyrule Castle still feels a bit too big. Not that it really shows a bunch, but here's a comparison of the original and the Brawl stage superimposed on eachother.

Sails

Smash Ace
Hyrule Castle still feels a bit too big. Not that it really shows a bunch, but here's a comparison of the original and the Brawl stage superimposed on eachother.
It is ever so slightly a little skewed, but it's not a big deal at all.

Edit: But comparing the brawl models, it is a bit big. I would say maybe shrink it to fit by player size.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
My only beef is that the right blastzone is seductively close.

Otherwise it's amazing.
"deceptively"

but, yeah, he said he was going to fix it up along with the green structure on the right. (i haven't downloaded the new version, so this may still be an issue).

i personally don't find the size to be that bad. if you want to re-do it, mewtwo, then go ahead, but otherwise its not really necessary...

br3compactor

Smash Ace
Continuing...

Steps:

1 - Open in Brawlbox both the stage you want as the sender and the stage you want as a receiver of models.
2 - Export whatever mdl0 you might transfer.
3 - Import the model to ModelData[2] on the receiver stage

Wacka Alpacka says renaming the model is the next step. But I can't see WTF he's typing 'cause of Youtube's low quality :(

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
renaming the model and the bone.

naming the model is for your own cataloging. renaming the bone keeps every model with the same bone name from being edited to the same place/size by an animation.

i figured you meant deceptively because it seems that the side would have a larger boundary than it actually has. by saying seductively, you made it seem that people would want to go there all the time, which i know if i were to see someone camping near a close boundary i'd spam projectiles at them instead of approaching.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof

It's definitely off. Just so that it's bothering me, most people probably aren't as OCD as myself, though. Note how the collision for the Brawl version is slightly off, so Mario is floating in the air. He should be shorter in comparison to the wall, while Smash64 Mario is marginally taller.

But yeah, as Sails said - Graphically, it's 95% perfect in size. For gameplay, the size effects a bunch of random little things - The tower requires a double jump for each step, for example. That's more the fault of the differences in physics than anything you've done, Mewtwo2000.

It's still awesome, I'm just complaining. :(

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
Hey Mewtwo, I know you're still working on Hyrule Castle 64 but can you take a look at the short green tower thing on the right side? The models pass2 and passwindow put the same texture over the same spot, but the lighting (usually lighting from other stages) can cause the textures to become different colours from each other. That causes nasty flickering at that spot. I haven't tried the actual fixed version in game (BrawlBox says pass2 is unchanged), I just imported the fixed passwindow into the stage I'm working on and well... yeah. I imported pass2 also but it wasn't changed so...

br3compactor

Smash Ace
Hey Mewtwo, why does your Wi-Fi Destination has no texture? O.o

When I preview the stage I see only the stage with no texture or background O.o

Fen__

Smash Ace
In your superimposed image, if you look close at the main platform, you'll see that they're actually viewed from slightly different angles. This can actually make up for the supposed difference in size, but the angle on the left slope is off some (not that I really care). On that note, Brawl is not Smash64 and the characters don't even have the same ratios between their sizes, so that method of comparison just doesn't make any sense. Also, Brawl physics are very different, so being slightly larger (at least vertically) makes sense due to the floatiness.

br3compactor

Smash Ace
Makes a big difference if a character like Link can't reach the platforms without a double jump (something I believe he could). And if that's true, he wouldn't be able to reach the top of the right green thingy without double jump + upB on the new one.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Without any regard for physics, Mewtwo_2000 is almost 100% spot-on with the remake. To get what Shadic is talking about, he'd probably have to resize it in the same way he did with the Brawlified Battlefield 64: shorter and (maybe, but not always) wider.

hero1771

Smash Journeyman
hey, when i first hacked brawl, i got B+

ever since then, when i pick weegee's mansion, it goes BBEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ
it freezes.

dunno why. can someone help me fix it?

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
I believe you should get the My Music fix code. My friend had the same problem as you, and that fixed it. I don't know much about that code, though.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
In your superimposed image, if you look close at the main platform, you'll see that they're actually viewed from slightly different angles. This can actually make up for the supposed difference in size, but the angle on the left slope is off some (not that I really care). On that note, Brawl is not Smash64 and the characters don't even have the same ratios between their sizes, so that method of comparison just doesn't make any sense. Also, Brawl physics are very different, so being slightly larger (at least vertically) makes sense due to the floatiness.
Yeah, it's almost impossible to get the same exact angle, so that's why I went with "close enough."

Also, I agree that physics ultimately supersede how the stage is graphically sized. Which is I think why the stage is too big - You can't full-hop up the platforms on the tower, for example.

Oh well. I guess I'll just make a marginally smaller-sized copy of the stage when Mewtwo2000 completely finishes it. There's choices that way, as well.

Arrgh, this topic makes me feel whiny because it's one thing I actually care about.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
I like that size comparison xD

Also, the background can't be really compared, as it doesn't move as it was really there in ssb64. In brawl it need to be an actual model with an actual placement. I could make it smaller anyway. And the stage too. I still think it's perfect in size (it's meant to be like this), as the characters are different between them and the way they jump is different too.

But I could name it the 'small version'. It would allow single jumps in platforms and maybe a more competitive play.

@Hozu
Actually, there's no problem with those models you say. I know that effect happens in-game, but I made the front part of pass2 invisible in the fix. You can see it in brawlbox, but I assure you it's not visible in-game. So take them if you want, the visibility of pass2 doesn't depend on textures, it's on the model itself, so you won't have any issue with it.

@Shadic
Don't worry, there will be a small sized version of the stage :p

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
Bleh, I didn't realize that you changed pass2 too. It looked the same as the old one in BrawlBox so I left it, hence my problems.

Might as well post the pic but I'll just link it. Here's what I was seeing. Now it's just the lighter colour on the front.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
Yeah, just as expected xD

I have all under control O.o xD

Also, a video of the stage, I finally managed to reach my wii and make a video for it xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr1OwGIqyZM

Also, It seems you managed to find a lighting good for both the castle and the background. I will be making an Oldin mix too with my original textures and the original dusk background :p

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
Actually, it only looks good there. There's this weird red light on the centre of the main tower using that SceneData. I think I managed to get rid of it though. Also, the clouds/fog in the background shows through the castle. So yeah. :/

Anyways, here's what I have so far:

I still have a problem that I can't solve (bad angle, that shadow shows up in midair). Those floating shadows are where the bridge w/o the centre part was. While I've been able to move the bridge away, I haven't been able to do a thing to those floating shadows. I suppose I could get rid of all shadows but...

Also, I still have to change the castle's shadows to reflect the change in lighting. I'm really dreading that part because I suck at artsy stuff like that (I failed an art class in high school ffs). I don't really like the sky I have, I think it would look much better w/ whiter clouds. I had to get rid of the lens flare/glow of the sun because it shone through the castle (shining through the main tower is incredibly obvious in game).

As I said before, the original lighting really didn't agree with BSZ's textures (walls ended up almost completely white), but it may work out fine for yours. Never know until you try. Oh, lawl@ the Indiana Jones music in that vid. XD

Jiiprah

Smash Apprentice
should use the texture from Castle Siege stage. As nice as that texture is...it doesn't really feel like brawl.

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
As awesome as that would be, I can't do anything with that stage. The whole first area is a single model, and there aren't any scale bones to let me move anything. I'd definitely do it if I could though.

Edit: I'm going to see what happens if I make the textures transparent, although using those textures + the castle might make it too big... Wait, holy crap, the first section is over 4MB. That pretty much means I can't use it...

lol, most of the space is taken up by the over 100 flag pictures. There are so many because the flags wave around.

Edit 2: Never mind, deleted the flag's animations and deleted all the flag pics but the first, and made that one transparent. Result: Flags gone, file size down to 2.66MB

Top Bottom