• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion?

Gea

Smash Master
I can't comment on Peach, because Peach just ***** me.

FoD is fun against alot of characters who need room to space. Any large/tall character (for the most part) have trouble there. Doc is short and can use the platform changes to his advantage. The sides are close in so people can't live that long.

I wouldn't counterpick it really, but I love it.

Though I love it more as Luigi.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
On Corneria, is it possible to abuse up-B to fin edgegrab, much like Samus does? I noticed that up-B snaps you right onto the fin edge in most cases, then you can drop down and bair or whatever.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Yes. If you up B at the end of the engine (the black-ish part) you'll grab the fin, but only then.

Also... I don't know... I might counter pick Ganondorf of FoD. Doesn't seem like a good Ganondorf stage to me.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
As someone who co-mains Ganondorf, I'd say FoD is actually a pretty fun stage for Ganon. (Some Ganons hate it, others love it. I love it lol.) It's small so there's nowhere for his opponents to run to, plenty of platforms to waveland on, and Ganon's so tall that his arms and legs easily reach through platforms where opponents think they are safe. HOWEVER, I actually would take Ganon there as Doc. Even if the Ganon is excellent at platform wavelanding Doc can still out-maneuver him there, and he's so small he can get around a lot of Ganon's moves. The platforms make for easy combos on Ganon, especially if you take advantage of edge-canceled aerials.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Yes. If you up B at the end of the engine (the black-ish part) you'll grab the fin, but only then.

Also... I don't know... I might counter pick Ganondorf of FoD. Doesn't seem like a good Ganondorf stage to me.
you can grab it if you're closer, you just have to jump a little bit before you up+b. And generally, your jump is short enough that you wont get punished for it. O_o

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^not really, when compared to how much it blows for falcon--> no room to maneuver, large kill zones meaning better chance of doc DIing up to survive, and no ledge.

Plus cars that can mess up combos when the floor is larger.

I wouldn't pick it, but seriously onii-chan, don't be rude/ needlessly prideful (as your last 2 posts have been)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I did relatively poorly against CF when I counter picked Mute City... is there some sort of thing I missed there or was I just not aggressive enough?
you in my opinion messed up big time! that is a horrible stage for doc
rofl.

Although it is true, Mute City is not a great stage for doc; it is FAR WORSE for capfal.

The thing about mute city is he has nowhere to run, which cripples his offense. The different platforms mess up his combos; but the flat main stage is good for your chaingrab.

And as for recovering, he'll have to up+b onto the platform more than you have to (or should have to)

onii-chan

Smash Ace
I wouldn't pick it, but seriously onii-chan, don't be rude/ needlessly prideful (as your last 2 posts have been)
rofl.

Although it is true, Mute City is not a great stage for doc; it is FAR WORSE for capfal.

The thing about mute city is he has nowhere to run, which cripples his offense. The different platforms mess up his combos; but the flat main stage is good for your chaingrab.

And as for recovering, he'll have to up+b onto the platform more than you have to (or should have to)
st.vier if you haven't it is a little thing called sarcasism...

dogy its just my opinon trust i have done horrible on that stage will my friend PIMPSLAP just abuses that stage against me i see that he does very well and usually just dogdes the cars as they come at him or just falcon punch them

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

mutecity is good against capt...hes too easy to edgeguard...cape early then d.smash him off..repeat until dead. If you get grabbed you can DI off the level downward for better odds he won't attempt a knee off the level, too. You should focus on f.tilt and b.airs to keep him pressured, with occasional pills.

i'm not saying the fight is in "doc's advantage"...but its deffinately fairer than taking him most other places.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
st.vier if you haven't it is a little thing called sarcasism...

dogy its just my opinon trust i have done horrible on that stage will my friend PIMPSLAP just abuses that stage against me i see that he does very well and usually just dogdes the cars as they come at him or just falcon punch them
oh dont get it twisted >.> I know it's your opinion, and you're entitled to your opinion.

I just find it funny that people are slamming a stage that counters CapFal.

It's not like people are not allowed to blow on the stage. I blow on Yoshi's Story. That's just how the game goes.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Mute City vs Captain Falcon. That is actually quite a good idea. You can chaingrab, edgeguard him even easier than usual and the cars and stage can hurt him more as he's a fast faller. The only problem is that its pretty bad for the Doctor as well. Whats weird thought is that when I'm playing with my crew mates and mute city comes up I always think 'oh great. Mute city' but then I never seem to do that badly for some reason. I think it can be a great counter for Falcon if you have experience with playing on mute. There are a lot of things about the stage with Doc that you can use to your advantage if you play the right way.

Change of topic:
Where's good vs Samus? Yoshi's ? (guess :chuckle:) I don't play samus's that much

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Thanks, guys. I need Mute City was a good stage to fight Falcon on... but now I know what I need to work on. I appreciate it. *Note to Self: More Bairs*

I have... no idea. I'll tell you right now it isn't Pokemon Stadium or Dreamland. I'm gonna go with Corneria or Yoshi's Story. In theory they sound like good stages, but as far as fact goes I'm not sure.

Saith

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, guys. I need Mute City was a good stage to fight Falcon on... but now I know what I need to work on. I appreciate it. *Note to Self: More Bairs*

I have... no idea. I'll tell you right now it isn't Pokemon Stadium or Dreamland. I'm gonna go with Corneria or Yoshi's Story. In theory they sound like good stages, but as far as fact goes I'm not sure.
hyrule temple is the best stage. it is big and plent of space to run. I am glad it is in brawl ya

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Change of topic:
Where's good vs Samus? Yoshi's ? (guess :chuckle:) I don't play samus's that much

MASSIVE WALL OF GREEN TEXT RAWR!!!!

Here's some funny things to note.

1) Some samus' will actually ban Kirby 64 vs you, because they dont want you living for a long time (this actually happens to me ALOT vs samus)

2) Corneria is actually a terrible stage to take Samus to. I dont know all of the details; but i know they can fin combo better than you can.

3) Pokemon Stadium is not that bad unless the samus is obviously missle heavy, and even then it's not so bad. Pills > Missles. And the funny thing about the PC Missle spam trick is you only have to deal with 1 row of missles, it just seems so bad because all you hear is (BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM)

4) If you're afraid to take samus to PS for misslespam, you should be afraid to take them to YS for missle spam. That platforms on both stages are the same height.

___

Now, with all that being said.

Yoshi's Story isnt a bad stage to take Samus. Not great mind you, but it's probably your best choice of all neutral stages.

Final D is ok, but your pill game has to be onpoint to combat missles, and you have to space yourself very will because samus straight up TILTS DOC TO DEATH.

A good counterpick, however, is Kongo Jungle 64. Why? She cant grapple; and it's kind of hard for Samus to sweetspot the edge. The big downside of using this stage is that Samus usually has the top platforms as a recovery option and you usually dont.

Rainbow Cruise and Pokefloats are ok, too; but it's kind of hit-or-miss with those.

__

And just because somebody is going to say this. Battlefield doesnt hurt a (Good) samus's recovery at all. It changes it, yes; but doesnt hurt it.

Saith

Smash Apprentice
MASSIVE WALL OF GREEN TEXT RAWR!!!!

Here's some funny things to note.

1) Some samus' will actually ban Kirby 64 vs you, because they dont want you living for a long time (this actually happens to me ALOT vs samus)

2) Corneria is actually a terrible stage to take Samus to. I dont know all of the details; but i know they can fin combo better than you can.

3) Pokemon Stadium is not that bad unless the samus is obviously missle heavy, and even then it's not so bad. Pills > Missles. And the funny thing about the PC Missle spam trick is you only have to deal with 1 row of missles, it just seems so bad because all you hear is (BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM)

4) If you're afraid to take samus to PS for misslespam, you should be afraid to take them to YS for missle spam. That platforms on both stages are the same height.

___

Now, with all that being said.

Yoshi's Story isnt a bad stage to take Samus. Not great mind you, but it's probably your best choice of all neutral stages.

Final D is ok, but your pill game has to be onpoint to combat missles, and you have to space yourself very will because samus straight up TILTS DOC TO DEATH.

A good counterpick, however, is Kongo Jungle 64. Why? She cant grapple; and it's kind of hard for Samus to sweetspot the edge. The big downside of using this stage is that Samus usually has the top platforms as a recovery option and you usually dont.

Rainbow Cruise and Pokefloats are ok, too; but it's kind of hit-or-miss with those.

__

And just because somebody is going to say this. Battlefield doesnt hurt a (Good) samus's recovery at all. It changes it, yes; but doesnt hurt it.
hey do dogy Samich!! is you glad about hyrule temple in brawl? ya

Gea

Smash Master
?
i don't get it

a oh and dogy it was not like i was slamming the stage i just said that it would be a horrible choice for some people because of their own style of play

and to everyone else <[:{>
The guy talking about Temple. Nice Santa, by the way.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Or make a custom sig out if it in Photoshop >_>

Oh **** I broke my 2222 posts ;_;

Uh, to stay on-topic, when I'm Doc I don't have a single bad stage ^_^. So versatile...

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Doc without a bad stage? OH THAT'S FUNNY. >.>
IN SOVIET RUSSIA, BAD STAGES HAVE YOU.

Lmao! That's what I thought, too.

Ugh... I don't know. I think it is better not to risk PS and even if Samus' tend to ban it against you, that doesn't make at any better a stage. Samus WILL live longer on that stage than you and that is a fact, and Samus lives long enough already in my book.

Yoshi Story, unlike PS, has a lot less room to manuver, though. It has enough room for you to move around and get away from Samus, but it prohibits giving her the room for massive spam. Yoshi Story seems good.

I said Corneria because of the low cieling. Samus can't really kill you up top, only to the sides. With Fair you should be able to knock out Samus fairly early. However these "fin combos" I have no idea about. Is a fin combo a generic term for beating the crap out of a character by using the fin?

As for Pokefloats and Rainbow Cruise... I'm not so sure about that. I think if I were to counter pick a Samus with either of those (mainly Cruise) I'd use Falco instead of Doc. They seem to me to be more Samus savve stages because you HAVE to knock her out. There are so many places to recover she'll just bomb jump or air dodge or up b somewhere out of your way. That makes edge guarding her even MORE difficult (like it wasn't difficult to begin with >.>)

Top Bottom