• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion?

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I don't know... I'm not sure what I think of Corneria... I guess I just need to work on it.,

Hell yeah, Gea. Reppin' the Doc. I'm probably gonna team with GoldenGlove in actual teams, if not, we'll see. I totally wanna team with you in some friendlies, though. That'd be fun. Double doc ownage.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
yo eighteen how did that Linear Algebra go?

Corneria is alright for doc if yo can abuse the wall in the back.
Hey, thanks for asking :) I studied all last night and woke up at 4a.m. to study all morning, and I think it paid off. The exam seemed pretty easy :lick:

Whenever I DO get cp'd on Corneria, I end up whoring the tail anyways. Is that how you're supposed to play it?
:laugh: here's an oooold teams match of me on Youtube, where I pretty much walk around, try to get grabs, and fsmash. It had a sexy ending, though :cool:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kc5UwXo2QQk

Gea

Smash Master
That tourny's stage list is LAME though Kash. No Pokefloats OR Japes. Two of my best levels. Looks like you'll glance over to see me at Mute City and Brinstar.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
GET OUT OF MY HEAD GEA *RAARARARARA*

But seriously. Made if we chill with each other pre-tournament at FS2 you can show me just how awesome Brinstar and Japes is yourself =P

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Well, my friend GoldenGlove and I had a long string of matches full of bull**** with Grade-A combo video material thrown in EVERYWHERE.

I also practiced counter picking... and let me tell you what...

Brinstar owns Captain Falcon and Fox. Yeah, boi!
I also think Mute City does well against both.
As for Corneria... I did decent against CF there and his Fox was gonna four stock me... but I turned it into a one stock at the last second. So I'm not sure about it.

So yeah... Brinstar and Mute City are my new favorite counter picks. Thanks for opening my eyes, Gea =)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Cause the other topic thread is stickied.

But yeah

Corneria is actually pretty bad against fox.

I'd imagine it'd be kinda bad against CapFal too, but i've never tried it.

But yeah, corneria vs fox is a bad choice. XD

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
i just found out why you should never play against fox on Peachs castle or corneria....
thats so immensly gay... horrible xD
(i mean i can cope with SOME camping, but god****, if you play someone who´s whole smashing style is camoing, you´re LOOST ^^

btw, i´ll be having some videos against a real good smasher up in a week or so, could someone help me with my doc then (it was a final i knew i would loose and i picked Doc, for that sole reason (to get tips))
(i´d love to have some more tipps then last time ^^)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
i just found out why you should never play against fox on Peachs castle or corneria....
thats so immensly gay... horrible xD
(i mean i can cope with SOME camping, but god****, if you play someone who´s whole smashing style is camoing, you´re LOOST ^^
. .. . .
/me laughs and walks off.

(5 minutes later)
/me walks back and sits down.

Yes, playing fox on Peach's Castle is DUMB, he's pretty much the reason why it's banned.

Same thing with Onett. >.>

Corneria isnt as bad as those two; and that says alot considering how bad it is to fight fox on corneria. >.>

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I thought Onett could be counter picked. I guess that is just teams? Huh...

Yeah, Corneria and Fox = bad combo.

How about Corneria with Marth? Does Doc really have any pro-Doc stages vs. Marth (ie Falcon on Mute City). I counter picked YS on Marth before. Yes, I know that's a Marth stage, but it worked out pretty well, actually. I just avoided the platforms and because Marth lacks a real strong killing move (except his Fsmash) and the close walls and Doc's power you can get kills on Marth relatively quickly... but I don't think I'd use it in a tournament.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
playing on FD against marth... but, thats just me.. he can combo you to death i think... fair ftl ^^
i like to be able to pill spam though, it does annoy marths

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
i take marths to corneria as long as they leave it open.

The one thing you have to watch for is their fin combo; which is easier for them to do than you.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
playing on FD against marth... but, thats just me.. he can combo you to death i think... fair ftl ^^
i like to be able to pill spam though, it does annoy marths
Not really. FD is the best choice for me vs marth. Marth has no platforms to go under and there is a lot of space for pills which will really get the better of the marth. No rly why did you say that? Doc can combo marth just a badly as marth combos Doc.

Gea

Smash Master
I would probably take a Marth to DL64. gimps > tippers :psycho:
Don't listen to him, Marth can outlast you by a looooooooooooooong time here.

Cyphus suggests Battlefield. I like FD but a great Marth isn't giving it up there.

Let me explain BF. Marth can't sweetspot. Free capes.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Don't listen to him, Marth can outlast you by a looooooooooooooong time here.

Cyphus suggests Battlefield. I like FD but a great Marth isn't giving it up there.

Let me explain BF. Marth can't sweetspot. Free capes.
....XD

Battlefield is just a bigger yoshi's story.

And by that i mean, marth STILL controls the platforms.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
GOOD LUCK controlling the center of a smaller stage like battlefield vs a marth. Also Doc can't (reliably) tech on battlefield, and he gets utilt/fsmash spammed when on the platforms. Eating a tipper at even mid % on one of those platforms makes for an easy stock. At least on DL64 you have more freedom in movement, more recovery options and a chance to DI some strong attacks. Doc can't really overpower Marth on DL64; hell, he can't overpower marth on ANY stage, really. But between doc's ability to switch focus to an edge game (gimp), and the large size of the stage (for both evasion and survival), DL64 narrows the tier gap and allows more freedom for the player skill to determine the matchup.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
So we've heard FD, Battlefield, and Dream Land 64.

I'm going to have to disagree with Battlefield. Eighteen pretty much covered that arguement for me.

As for Final Destination... that is where I've always taken Marth. However, if that is unavailable I tended to go toward Pokemon Stadium. However, Eighteen has me thinking... DL64 doesn't sound too bad.

How would you play a Marth on DL64, Eighteen?

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah, I never said *I* go to BF, but that's the only play Cyphus can win against a Doc savy Marth because he can gimp via the cape. 18, trying to gimp on any stage with bair is gonna be about the same, unless you mean you like the platforms on that stage for doing so. Besides that, one wrong move and you're gimped by low % tippers.

I don't like DL 64 because if the Marth DI's better he can make it back longer than you will be able to. Not only that, but the platforms just let him juggle you upwards.

That's what I like about FD, though lack of platforms leads to its own issues.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Yeah, I never said *I* go to BF, but that's the only play Cyphus can win against a Doc savy Marth because he can gimp via the cape. 18, trying to gimp on any stage with bair is gonna be about the same, unless you mean you like the platforms on that stage for doing so. Besides that, one wrong move and you're gimped by low % tippers.

I don't like DL 64 because if the Marth DI's better he can make it back longer than you will be able to. Not only that, but the platforms just let him juggle you upwards.

That's what I like about FD, though lack of platforms leads to its own issues.
Marth's recovery is good but not great. He'll out last you a little but not by that much really. It's not as it is with peach where they survive till 150% odd. Dreamland is actually a great marth stage cos your safe on the platforms and theres plenty of space.

Gea

Smash Master
Marth's recovery is good but not great. He'll out last you a little but not by that much really. It's not as it is with peach where they survive till 150% odd. Dreamland is actually a great marth stage cos your safe on the platforms and theres plenty of space.
Cept he can edgeguard you so easy it isn't even funny, and edging him can be semi-difficult if he comes in high. I don't know, I just HATE DL 64 in general with Doc.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
...Are you kidding?

That stage is the bane of my exsistence. If I don't know what to ban, I ban that or Battlefield. Oh my GOD does that stage suck! I mean, I play alright on it, but it so difficult... Gah! Why do you like it?

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i guess i should contribute something to this thread, as far as what concerns my doc game of recent.

Versus Marth, i ban Yoshi, but feel pretty comfortable on Battlefield. Unlike Yoshi, i can survive mid-damage tippers with up-DI and try to recover on platforms. Tippers on Battlefield platforms are possible, but deffinately not as easy as yoshi, because you typicall have to be directly above marth for his f.smash to connect. Battlefield also gives me a lil more flexibility with pills.
Against marth in general lately, i spam F.tilt more than any other move. Toss a pill and f.tilt, WD to f.tilt, and f.tilt to f.tilt.
With Battlefield, edgeguarding is the more common form of KOs. Since Marth can't easily sweetspot battlefield, he's alot easier to cape, and reverse-WD-off-fastfall-B.air from the side platforms or edge.
D.throw to f.air around 85% (when it turns into a KO move on Yoshi) usually gets interupted by the top platform, where on battlefield, because its wider, u have a much better chance of pulling it where a platform won't interfere.
Don't get me wrong, these are all very small things, that aren't as important as personal experience where you feel more comfortable, and against a new marth, FD is still probably my first pick. But i dislike Stadium (i always seem to get trapped on the platforms at least once during a match and marths nowadays use the platforms to get around projectiles faster and counter) And...i really don't know what to think about corneria...technically doc should do great everywhere but the corner..but in crew battles at TX's FS1, i got ***** bad by sethlon in the corner...i think the risk is not worth it against a good marth there.
so..imo, FD, FoD, BF.
I find FoD, to be the easiest stage to b.air edgeguard people some reason. I think it has to do with the camera dipping lower than it does on other levels..and giving me the best view of confidence.

I never really played much on Jungle Japes. You crazy kids and your hip levels. Guess i'll have to try it out...even though it makes no sense to me.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
but yea..thats a pretty good indication of a significant disadvantage- when you have trouble finding a level (out of the possible 15+) that you might have a slight advantage on.

hell, u might as well add stadium as a "ban" stage versus capt, i always figured this was worse than FD, since the only difs are for capts advantage. (especially when the stage changes)

and against peach, i think FD is deffinately a bad level. She just cuts through pills like a hot knife through butter, knocks u off the level, and floats off to edgeguard you before u had a chance.
Yoshi makes sense to me...but Corneria is also a smarter bet than FD. Pillspam on odd angles might grant some lucky damage at least, and edgeplay won't play as an important role as vertical KOs will.
Even at the Lowest part of Corneria, an upsmash can kill her at 110%...and at the top fin, u can KO her with an upsmash at like 80%. Prolly best to dash dance feint her into one, if she's above you.

imo, against Young Link, i'd ban battlefield or DL64. he can run away and projectile spam like a beast, and he doesn't seem to wanna die on those levels either. prolly best to take him to Yoshi or FoD.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
FoD is misundderstood. Yes, you can get camped by the low platforms but you can use them as well. for instance, you can stand underneath them and up tilt spam and when your on a low platform you can catch people out with dsmashes.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
there´s only one doc main (or even player i think :( ) in germany either....
and i dont know any doc´s in Europe (except dark scyther, from switzerland):( you have to come... come on...

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Too lazy to analyze and respond to all your points, Cyphus. Plus, you're more experience than I.

However, I think Peach is more adaptable to stages than Doc. Her movements and moveset allow her to move through a stage without really being hindered. However, on the other hand, Doc's game can be effected by this. I think a flat level such as FD really is good against Peach. She may cut through your pills, but you still control the game. The area you have to move allows you to do hit and runs which are very good against Peach, IMO. You can go through her with a Dair and dash away as she tries to Dsmash counter you. You can run circles around her as far as I'm concerned. You just have to play carefully. Plus, most Peachs are gonna go for the edge guard rather than the edge hog. Just recover intelligenty. **** happens.

Top Bottom