• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion: Stages you would like to see

UserKev

Smash Champion
If we were to get a 2nd iteration stage of SMB2 USA, the ice world theme feel distinct enough.
1654953852926.png

Arrange the icy platforms in a stage format and even let the slipping enemies act as the stage's hazards. Could be excitingly fun and a better executed ice stage.

Ganon777

Smash Cadet
A stage from super Mario wonder would be great in a future smash game if they made one. I think Something like Fluff-puff peaks would be an interesting stage setting with the pink clouds acting as platforms. The wonder flower item could also work as a layout changer mechanic.
800px-Fluff-Puff_Peaks (1).png

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
A stage from super Mario wonder would be great in a future smash game if they made one. I think Something like Fluff-puff peaks would be an interesting stage setting with the pink clouds acting as platforms. The wonder flower item could also work as a layout changer mechanic.View attachment 378580
I would say yes to this if magicant didn't exist. I do want a Wonder stage with wonder effects, though.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Honestly, if the next smash is a reboot then I honestly would prefer that they REALLY limit themselves on returning stages. By that I mean, other than Battlefield and Final Destination, the reboot should have zero returning stages, other than maybe Temple. I really want to see a lot of new stages from new games or older games that have gone unrepresented with a stage. Stages with good layouts (PS2, Smashville) don't even need to be completely lost, their layouts could live on with of a new coat of paint (picture a Bowser's Castle stage with the layout of Small Battlefield.... perfection).

Smash Ultimate has kind of opened my eyes on how, despite the huge amount of stages the series has gotten in the last two decades, almost half of them just... kind of blow. Whenever I see the stage select screen I can't help but feel how nobody really wants to play on most of these.

Like, come on. Retro recreations like 75m, Pac-Land, Dreamland GB and Balloon Fight are "kinda neat" at best and "I really wish I was doing literally anything else" at worst.

Another big issue I have with the current stage list amount of generic, grassy locales from games that objectively had better options; this is ESPECIALLY the case with Mario. Even if you HAD to pick stages from NSMBU, NSMB2, 3D Land, etc, why would make them all essentially the first levels of each game??

stagles.png

I really hope the next Smash trims all of this fat. I would love to see a 3D World stage based on the World Bowser Carnival, or a stage based on Coconut Mall, or any of the varied new (and NON-WORLD 1) locales from Mario Wonder! Just... please, no more grass...

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Honestly, if the next smash is a reboot then I honestly would prefer that they REALLY limit themselves on returning stages. By that I mean, other than Battlefield and Final Destination, the reboot should have zero returning stages, other than maybe Temple. I really want to see a lot of new stages from new games or older games that have gone unrepresented with a stage. Stages with good layouts (PS2, Smashville) don't even need to be completely lost, their layouts could live on with of a new coat of paint (picture a Bowser's Castle stage with the layout of Small Battlefield.... perfection).

Smash Ultimate has kind of opened my eyes on how, despite the huge amount of stages the series has gotten in the last two decades, almost half of them just... kind of blow. Whenever I see the stage select screen I can't help but feel how nobody really wants to play on most of these.

Like, come on. Retro recreations like 75m, Pac-Land, Dreamland GB and Balloon Fight are "kinda neat" at best and "I really wish I was doing literally anything else" at worst.

Another big issue I have with the current stage list amount of generic, grassy locales from games that objectively had better options; this is ESPECIALLY the case with Mario. Even if you HAD to pick stages from NSMBU, NSMB2, 3D Land, etc, why would make them all essentially the first levels of each game??

View attachment 379602

I really hope the next Smash trims all of this fat. I would love to see a 3D World stage based on the World Bowser Carnival, or a stage based on Coconut Mall, or any of the varied new (and NON-WORLD 1) locales from Mario Wonder! Just... please, no more grass...
I think the same in the Smash Together Concept (if it actually gets of the ground) I have the unwritten rule:
1 Good guy Base, 1 Bad Guy Base, 1 or more Unique Bioms and something from the start of the game!
Also there are 7? Versions of Battlefield each themed after a biom but sadly i only drew the grass one for now´:
1698078793028.png

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Eh, might as well post my ideal stage list for next game, in the case it's a reboot.

stagelist.png

I wanted to go for a good balance of unique themes and locations overall, as well as a wide spread of games ranging from the old to the new. The series selections are based on my reboot roster, seen below.

Every series represented on the roster has at least one stage for them. The exceptions are Snowdin and the Nether, which don't have fighters in the roster, but are on the stage list anyway because I think they'd be cool and iconic 3rd Party locations to see and fight on. Badge Arcade doesn't have a fighter either, but it's included because most Smash games have a handful of stages showcasing Nintendo's lesser-known projects.

I'd like to imagine each stage has two different forms like Rivals of Aether, with one form being tamer and (mostly) suitable for competitive play, and the other form introducing more elaborate gimmicks/mechanics/layouts/etc. That way if you REALLY like the visuals of one stage but can't stand it's gameplay, there's an alternative option available to you.

Temple is the only returning stage that isn't Battlefield or Final Destination.

truncated_roster_smaller.png

Forgive me if the stage choices for Xenoblade and Star Fox suck because I basically know jack about those franchises. Been meaning to get into 'em, though.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Eh, might as well post my ideal stage list for next game, in the case it's a reboot.

View attachment 379808

I wanted to go for a good balance of unique themes and locations overall, as well as a wide spread of games ranging from the old to the new. The series selections are based on my reboot roster, seen below.

Every series represented on the roster has at least one stage for them. The exceptions are Snowdin and the Nether, which don't have fighters in the roster, but are on the stage list anyway because I think they'd be cool and iconic 3rd Party locations to see and fight on. Badge Arcade doesn't have a fighter either, but it's included because most Smash games have a handful of stages showcasing Nintendo's lesser-known projects.

I'd like to imagine each stage has two different forms like Rivals of Aether, with one form being tamer and (mostly) suitable for competitive play, and the other form introducing more elaborate gimmicks/mechanics/layouts/etc. That way if you REALLY like the visuals of one stage but can't stand it's gameplay, there's an alternative option available to you.

Temple is the only returning stage that isn't Battlefield or Final Destination.

View attachment 379807

Forgive me if the stage choices for Xenoblade and Star Fox suck because I basically know jack about those franchises. Been meaning to get into 'em, though.
Both these rosters are decent but kumatora is an INTERSTING Pick
Also i hope that link has a classic Green adult version!

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Both these rosters are decent but kumatora is an INTERSTING Pick
Also i hope that link has a classic Green adult version!
If we're gonna do a reboot, might as well go all out, so my roster has 20 vets and 16 newcomers; the ratio between the old and new is veeeery close (and this is WITH every vet having a revamped moveset, except for Fox, Captain Falcon, and maybe Marth). I think Kumatora would be an interesting character to see, and while I don't dislike the Earthbound kids, I think they could afford to sit this one out (or become dlc with revamped movesets later fown the line). And yes, Link would have his classic version; I think this link would be a conglomerate Link that borrows abilities from different incarnations.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
New list of wanted stages
Bowser’s Castle
Waluigi Pinball
Castle Dedede
Battle Tower (Gold/Silver)
Route 225 (Diamond/Pearl)
Alola Tour (Sun/Moon)
Wyndon Stadium (Sword/Shield)
Levincia (Scarlet/Violet)
Studiopolis Zone
Nether
The End
Flipnote Stage

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
NILS Statue would be a cool stage akin to Northern Cave or Hollow Bastion, with a main platform slowly circling it. It'd be neat to see Agent 8 gradually ink the entirety of it over the course of a match too, starting from the bottom and slowly making her way up.

1699310448754.png

UserKev

Smash Champion
Yoshi stages have been pretty "First World" base and I would love to see more worlds represented rather than favoring first stage levels. And while grassy, this stage is pretty standard and easily home stage potential for Yoshi.

1700501466262.png

I just love how much uproar goes on in the background surrounding the Chain Chomps, providing interesting hazards.

1700502589176.png

Another stage that feels pretty quintessential is the water level in World 3 that features a massive blue water hazard of some species.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Yoshi stages have been pretty "First World" base and I would love to see more worlds represented rather than favoring first stage levels. And while grassy, this stage is pretty standard and easily home stage potential for Yoshi.

View attachment 380869

I just love how much uproar goes on in the background surrounding the Chain Chomps, providing interesting hazards.

View attachment 380873

Another stage that feels pretty quintessential is the water level in World 3 that features a massive blue water hazard of some species.
You put some respect on Nep-Enut's name!

But for real, Yoshi's Island has a lot of beautiful levels that they could easily make stages from. I wish they weren't so first-level-centric in Smash with these stages.

UserKev

Smash Champion

But for real, Yoshi's Island has a lot of beautiful levels that they could easily make stages from. I wish they weren't so first-level-centric in Smash with these stages.

I literally did not know it had a name lol It's so ironic because all I needed to do was a little research.

Every image absolutely hit home. The foggy cave level and orange sky level are also pretty essential. Now just imagine them with updated graphics and visuals.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

Yoshi's Story has some awesome locations to work with too

One dream Smash stage of mine for a long while is the cloud world where the storks come from in Yoshi's New Island, really any stork representation would be fine by me

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I wonder how a stage from Princess Peach: Showtime will be handled?"

1700839947415.png

It seem to will focus on a variety of stage rearrangements. And walk off KO's. If not this stage, maybe a Peach birthday cake stage?

1700841344117.png

It could be a strict stage that limits space the higher rowed you are. Or you could widen the cake for space appeal. Either way, we need a change from the castle trope.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord

View attachment 380979

It seem to will focus on a variety of stage transitions. And walk off KO's. If not this stage, maybe a Peach birthday cake stage?

View attachment 380983

It could be a strict stage that limits space the higher rowed you are. Or you could widen the cake for space appeal. Either way, we need a change from the castle trope.
I'm not saying that we can't have new stages, but Peach's Castle absolutely needs to stay. It was the first contact with 3D for a whole generation, if not more, who looked at it in awe and spent hours wandering around in it, and it is a mainstay in the whole franchise, including the spin-off.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
the first contact with 3D for a whole generation, if not more,
The PS1 came out 2 years earlier and was doing 3D platforming in Jumping Flash before it even transitioned away from long boxes. Also the flop consoles like the Jaguar; 32X; and 3DO, the SNES' FX chip, Virtua Fighter (which is in Smash, in its primitive 3D form!), Doom and Quake, I Robot in 1984, a lot of experimental PC games... Mario was late by a long time, and that's not even starting on isometric pseudo-3D, which has been around almost as long as gaming itself.

To segway back on topic, an early 3D (pre- or early-PS1, but post-Super Scaler/Mode 7) stage would be pristine. Super FX Star Fox would be most likely, but imagine Club Drive, DOS Doom, or Bubsy 3D as a stage.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm not saying that we can't have new stages, but Peach's Castle absolutely needs to stay. It was the first contact with 3D for a whole generation, if not more, who looked at it in awe and spent hours wandering around in it, and it is a mainstay in the whole franchise, including the spin-off.
I agree and can't counter argue it but many historically important stages were replaced " Mushroom Kingdom" which is essentially a Mario game. Peach's Castle can exist along side Peach's Birthday Cake. She needs a new theme.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
In my opinion, no stage needs to stay. The only exceptions are series staples like BF and FD (which get new themes each game anyway) and Temple since that's the de-facto "big stage" of the series and is so well-designed I can't see it ever going. I'd much rather make room for all-new stages than keep bringing the old ones back.

View attachment 380979

It seem to will focus on a variety of stage transitions. And walk off KO's.
A new stage based on Showtime could be neat, especially if it's set up like a literal stage play. I could see the stage not traveling, but instead rearranging; Those big-nosed NPC guys could shuffle the props every so often and change the background image to make various layouts, but the base stage itself remains the same. I think it'd be a fun idea.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
The PS1 came out 2 years earlier and was doing 3D platforming in Jumping Flash before it even transitioned away from long boxes. Also the flop consoles like the Jaguar; 32X; and 3DO, the SNES' FX chip, Virtua Fighter (which is in Smash, in its primitive 3D form!), Doom and Quake, I Robot in 1984, a lot of experimental PC games... Mario was late by a long time, and that's not even starting on isometric pseudo-3D, which has been around almost as long as gaming itself.

To segway back on topic, an early 3D (pre- or early-PS1, but post-Super Scaler/Mode 7) stage would be pristine. Super FX Star Fox would be most likely, but imagine Club Drive, DOS Doom, or Bubsy 3D as a stage.
True, I got a bit carried away.

UserKev

Smash Champion
In my opinion, no stage needs to stay. The only exceptions are series staples like BF and FD (which get new themes each game anyway) and Temple since that's the de-facto "big stage" of the series and is so well-designed I can't see it ever going. I'd much rather make room for all-new stages than keep bringing the old ones back.

A new stage based on Showtime could be neat, especially if it's set up like a literal stage play. I could see the stage not traveling, but instead rearranging; Those big-nosed NPC guys could shuffle the props every so often and change the background image to make various layouts, but the base stage itself remains the same. I think it'd be a fun idea.
Rearranging was the word I was looking for. I would say your description is a better summary on the functionality of the stage. I mostly agree that essentially every stage should be replaced. Their a far cry and even constant priority ruins them. Other than Temple, Metal Cavern is another stage I would update and prioritize.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I doubt the Magypsies will ever be acknowledged in Smash beyond a brief reference in a Kumatora trophy description, but I love the idea of a shell house's interior as a stage. Cameos are probably a no-go, but I really like the idea of this very feminine battleground with the mirror, teaset, e.t.c.

On the topic of Mother, I much prefer Cave of the Past exterior over the Devil's Machine as a stage - very subtly unique color scheme there, that only really exists in Smash on... maybe Flat Zone X?

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
On their own, the Black City and White Forest would be boring as ****, but as a single stage they would be absolutely awesome, especially if it was just one next to the other instead of a transformation.
1701176676841.jpeg

on the topic of cities, Dribble & Spitz' taxi dashboard from the first WarioWare would be an excellent stage. Busy nighttime cities and moving vehicles are both pretty common themes in Smash, but being inside the vehicle and on a rainy night I think adds an extra charm.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I doubt the Magypsies will ever be acknowledged in Smash beyond a brief reference in a Kumatora trophy description, but I love the idea of a shell house's interior as a stage. Cameos are probably a no-go, but I really like the idea of this very feminine battleground with the mirror, teaset, e.t.c.

On the topic of Mother, I much prefer Cave of the Past exterior over the Devil's Machine as a stage - very subtly unique color scheme there, that only really exists in Smash on... maybe Flat Zone X?
The fact that the magypsies are that hated baffles me sure they are a bit weird and cliche looking! But they are all (Except Locria) Shown to be nice! And from what ive heard Itoi had some friends that are similar to them!
But i dont really think we need their houses but this missing is just sad:

Having Tazmilly as a stage starting of as its Pre time skip version than it gets rebuild, Than Empty before resetting would be cool!

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
the children yearn for an asymmetrical stage that's tournament legal

and I just KNOW people would be screeching for it to be banned because "muh unfair advantage for the player that spawns on the higher plat", so to remedy that I'd make it a dual-plat layout that has them symmetrical for the first 15 or so seconds of the match before they shift to become asymmetrical.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Nintendo Floats. Poke Floats but with Nintendo consoles, both home consoles and portable systems. It would take place in cyberspace (or just regular space) instead of the Kanto Skies, similar to the backgrounds of the Nintendo Gamecube stage in Mario Kart Double Dash or the Nintendo DS stage in Mario Kart DS.

And this would be the theme. (Or even better, a remixed version with all the startup themes like Gamecube, DS, Wii, included).

Last edited:
Top Bottom