• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Analysis & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torn_Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1203-9336-3774
Haha the laugh in that Corneria vid gets me every time.

Yoshi's Island saved the dying Luma of my opponent in my first tournament in a losers bracket game 3 last stock scenario. Can we ban that stage yet?
That's not really much of a reason to ban a stage.

That's like saying, "oh man Randall came up and saved my opponent on Yoshi's Story in Melee once so we should ban that stage."

Stuff like that is bound to happen

Last edited:

T-block

B2B TST
That's not really much of a reason to ban a stage.

That's like saying, "oh man Randall came up and saved my opponent on Yoshi's Story in Melee once so we should ban that stage."

Stuff like that is bound to happen
ACTUALLY, Randall on YS isn't random, so it's fine. Support Ghosts on Yoshi's Island, however, are totally random.

In any case, you must be new here =) I just like using Yoshi's as a point against people who insist that stages don't interfere with player-player interaction. Most of those people are completely fine with Yoshi's being legal, which is ridiculous since it will always be one of the most "disruptive" and random stages allowed in tournament setting.

Noa.

Smash Master
Yoshi's Island brawl is not the most disruptive legal stage. I've seen castle siege save more people from gimps than the support ghosts. Same with Delfino Plaza. The support ghosts don't have a significant impact on the majority of matches when played on there, and when it does it usually just delays an inevitable kill. It's most disruptive when both players are very close in skill and need that read to win. But support ghosts aren't as disruptive as castle siege or Delfino plaza.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I was going to make a post about the countless problems with this idea, before realizing there really aren't any.

We can simplify the ban to this:
1) If you counter-pick Corneria, you cannot select Ness or Rosalina.
2) If you counter-pick Corneria and your opponent selects Ness or Rosalina, you have the option to change your counter-pick. (Your opponent cannot change characters)

This protocol is the cleanest, least invasive way of applying this ban, if it proves warranted due to the seemingly serious glitch.

(I'm not sure that it is warranted though, not yet.)
I believe a similar complex-ish ruling exists in Smash 64 regarding Ness and Saffron City? Since PKT2 flat out fails in narrow gaps it's gimp city for him there.

What I'm saying is that there's precedent for rules dealing with specific character/stage combinations and that your idea makes sense.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Yoshi's Island brawl is not the most disruptive legal stage. I've seen castle siege save more people from gimps than the support ghosts. Same with Delfino Plaza. The support ghosts don't have a significant impact on the majority of matches when played on there, and when it does it usually just delays an inevitable kill. It's most disruptive when both players are very close in skill and need that read to win. But support ghosts aren't as disruptive as castle siege or Delfino plaza.
Your post count means you shouldn't be new around here, but you act like it. Castle Siege is on a timer. It doesn't save anyone at random. It saves everyone at 40 seconds after the transition begins with the load time being different depending on the Wii. There's a handy thing called a timer at the top of your screen. Try using it. Cheers.

There is also a guide on Delfino Plaza. I BELIEVE @ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos wrote it.

Have a good day, champ.

I believe a similar complex-ish ruling exists in Smash 64 regarding Ness and Saffron City? Since PKT2 flat out fails in narrow gaps it's gimp city for him there.

What I'm saying is that there's precedent for rules dealing with specific character/stage combinations and that your idea makes sense.
Smash 64 is literally just Dreamland unless you play on the rule set that is Dreamland game 1 with Hyrule Castle as a counterpick.

Last edited:

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Just figure I'd give my two cents about stage legality and whatnot, since there's a lot of hot debate about it as of right now.

What makes a stage banned isn't it's disruptiveness; it's its potential for hazardous disruption and making the outcome of the match more based on variables outside the players' control.

Take stages like Yoshi's Island (both Brawl and Melee apply here) and Fountain of Dreams. These stages are, without a doubt, disruptive. The supports on both Yoshi stages can save players, and the rising and falling platforms on Fountain of Dreams creates unfavorable situations in the neutral for players that just so happen to be near them when they rise and fall. But, these things all are non-hazardous. None of these will directly kill you; they will just put you into a position that you may either like or not like. At the end of the day, it is still your responsibility to get out of the situation carefully and your opponent's to try to capitalize on it; i.e., what you're trying to whenever you're in a bad situation anywhere on the map, hazard or not. Even if certain stage aspects create for situations where a person may be unfairly saved (the Yoshis), it is still the player's responsibility to react to it, and he/she is completely able to do so. This type of hazard does not tamper with the player's ability to out-compete his/her opponent.

However, the other types of stage hazards that do disrupt a player's ability to compete are the ones that should be banned. Take, for instance, since it's being oh-so-talked about in this thread, Corneria in Sm4sh. NOT EVEN including the new glitches found out by the community, the hazards on this stage put who ever gets affected by them in a position that contains an outcome that operates OUTSIDE of skill level of each player. Player X knocks Player Y into the air. Player Y jumps and is hit by the drive-by hazard. No matter what Player Y does, he has the potential to be killed by that lazer, and is in every situation, is going to be damaged by it. Not because of a skill difference, nor because of being out-competed; he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"But shouldn't it be Player Y's responsibility to NOT be in the wrong place at the wrong time?", you may be asking to yourself. And in regards to player vs. player combat, then yes, he does. But it is safe to assume that at the end of the day, the player who can objectively be considered better than someone else is the person who managed to, through out-competing them and being more skillful in every facet of the game, beat them. With this being the overall guidelines to the best in the competitive system that Smashers have constructed, stages should be chosen that reflect this theme. If a person wins on Corneria, one could make the arguement that it is not because they managed to out-play their opponent; rather, it is just because they managed to "out-environmented" their opponent. This rationale is already reflected in almost every rule in the system; Smash Balls are banned so that the winner is determined by who can take off 2 or 3 stocks the quickest, not by who can get the Smash Ball the fastest.

To me, THIS is how we should be approaching which stages are and aren't legal in Sm4sh.

tl;dr, It isn't disruptions that lead to being banned, it's hazardous disruptions that lead to being banned. It also having things that take away from the overal competitiveness of the scene that lead to being banned.

also all of this may be wrong because i'm fairly new but ayyy why not shoot it out there and see what happens :drflip:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Smash 64 is literally just Dreamland unless you play on the rule set that is Dreamland game 1 with Hyrule Castle as a counterpick.
I think its a rule for doubles.
Also we should really get video of competitive matches being played on most if not all of the stages. It would really help with determining stage legality.

Last edited:

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
If the Omega stages could've just had a few exceptions where they had some platforms, this entire discussion thread wouldn't be needed. Darnit, Sakurai, why can't you do some research on your own game?

I'm afraid there's only 4 to 6 non-Omega stages that look even remotely legit for fair play, and that's being optimistic.
But... he did do research? Do you forget that Japan's competitive community for smash pretty much always plays FD? Thats what Sakurai based the Omega mode off of. Then with that out of the way, he just went as crazy as he felt like going with the stages, although it looks like most of the craziness so far has gone into the Wii U stages.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
But... he did do research? Do you forget that Japan's competitive community for smash pretty much always plays FD? Thats what Sakurai based the Omega mode off of. Then with that out of the way, he just went as crazy as he felt like going with the stages, although it looks like most of the craziness so far has gone into the Wii U stages.
That's definitely false, for Wii U stages we'll likely see legal, we got (including past stages)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Pilot Wings
Skyloft
Halberd
Kalos Pokemon League
Castle Siege
Town and City
Smashville
Windy Hill
Garden of Hope

Then we got the ones that will need testing
Coliseum
Wii Fit Studio
Gaur Plains
Pyrosphere
Gamer
Mushroom Kingdom U
Mario Galaxy
Orbital Gate

And the ones that are garbage for competitive play
Boxing Ring
Onett
Palutena's Temple
Wily Castle
Great Cave Offense

We definitely have a great stage list coming to Wii U with a lot of potential.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
That's definitely false, for Wii U stages we'll likely see legal, we got (including past stages)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Pilot Wings
Skyloft
Halberd
Kalos Pokemon League
Castle Siege
Town and City
Smashville
Windy Hill
Garden of Hope

Coliseum
Wii Fit Studio
Gaur Plains
Pyrosphere
Gamer
Mushroom Kingdom U
Mario Galaxy
Orbital Gate

Boxing Ring
Onett
Palutena's Temple
Wily Castle
Great Cave Offense

Hm, you're right, I guess I meant more visual flare in the Wii U version.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Battlefield
Final Destination
Pilot Wings
Skyloft
Halberd
Kalos Pokemon League
Castle Siege
Town and City
Smashville
Windy Hill
Garden of Hope

Coliseum
Wii Fit Studio
Gaur Plains
Pyrosphere
Gamer
Mushroom Kingdom U
Mario Galaxy
Orbital Gate

Boxing Ring
Onett
Palutena's Temple
Wily Castle
Great Cave Offense

I have my doubts about Windy Hill. Those bumpers look like they can randomly screw over anyone recovering from stage level and below.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I have my doubts about Windy Hill. Those bumpers look like they can randomly screw over anyone recovering from stage level and below.
I didn't realize those were double sided bumpers. I guess well have to wait and see for that stage.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
As it turns out, the 4 man Tortimer that would be legal in doubles spawns all the same **** after someone dies.

Noa.

Smash Master
Your post count means you shouldn't be new around here, but you act like it. Castle Siege is on a timer. It doesn't save anyone at random. It saves everyone at 40 seconds after the transition begins with the load time being different depending on the Wii. There's a handy thing called a timer at the top of your screen. Try using it. Cheers.

There is also a guide on Delfino Plaza. I BELIEVE @ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos wrote it.

Have a good day, champ.
Whoa you need to get off your high horse and sit down. Never in that post did I mention those stages being random. I merely stated that they were more disruptive than Yoshi's Island's Brawl.

The definition of disruptive as provided by Merriam Webster: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disrupt

disruptive: to cause (something) to be unable to continue in the normal way : to interrupt the normal progress or activity of (something)

No where in that definition does it state that disruption implies randomness. Merely that it interrupts the progress of something. And the transformations in Castle Siege and Delfino Plaza interrupt the flow of the battle more than Yoshi's Island Brawl. You have to readjust how you're playing on the map on those stages more than on Yoshi's Island Brawl. This disruption isn't a bad thing, because it can be planned for.I loved Delfino Plaza and Castle Siege and counterpicked them pretty often. They're great stages.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Really? I was under the impression that a stage on a set pattern did not differ from continuing on its normal way while a stage with purely random elements can not be predicted.

Noa.

Smash Master
Really? I was under the impression that a stage on a set pattern did not differ from continuing on its normal way while a stage with purely random elements can not be predicted.
While it's normal for the stage to transform it changes the way that you approach the battle when it does transform. The way you play normally is different on each transformation. Each form has its own normal way to play and you have to change it up with each transformation. The stage is interrupting my activity more often than Yoshi's Island Brawl.

In my mind, the support ghosts of Yoshi's Island are less of a defining feature of a stage compared to the transformations that occur on Delfino and Castle Siege.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
(stage list excised for conciseness)

I agree that Wii U is going to greatly improve the stage situation to the point that how honestly frustrating so many of these 3DS stages are shouldn't bother us (even the clearly fair stages like Reset Bomb Forest are just not fun, to be real), but I think your stage by stage analysis is a bit off...

From the demo, we saw that Mushroom Kingdom U was great (and I have absolutely full confidence in it), but I have serious doubts about both Windy Hill and Garden of Hope (both look very large and like walk-offs, but I don't think we've seen everything they offer yet so I might be wrong). Likewise, I don't know how Kalos Pokemon League gets and obvious okay while Orbital Gate is just a "needs testing"; all we really know about both is that they're traveling stages which I consider promising but also insufificient information to make a judgment. There are a few other issues too; I'd probably frame it like this:

Definitely Legal

Battlefield
Final Destination
Mushroom Kingdom U
Skyloft
Pilotwings
Town and City
Smashville
Halberd
Castle Siege

Good Candidates (will need to check mechanics in-game)

Kalos Pokemon League
Orbital Gate

Questionable Candidates (will need to check mechanics in-game)

Pyrosphere
Mario Galaxy
Great Cave Offensive
Gamer
Windy Hill
Garden of Hope

Walk-off Tier (clearly decent other than having walk-offs)

Coliseum
Fitness Room
Onett

Awful Stages

Boxing Ring
Gaur Plains
Wily's Castle
Palutena's Temple

I've been a long time stage liberal, but to be honest, the more I play smash 3DS, the more I find myself hoping my random stage picks Battlefield or Final Destination (Prism Tower, Rainbow Road, and Tortimer's make me happy too). 3DS has a decent number of fair stages, but they're by and large just such tedious stages to play. I still think it's in everyone's best interest to have a lot of stages legal on 3DS, but the main reason is that it's better overall practice for the Wii U version which will have diverse legal stages that are actually good.

While it's normal for the stage to transform it changes the way that you approach the battle when it does transform. The way you play normally is different on each transformation. Each form has its own normal way to play and you have to change it up with each transformation. The stage is interrupting my activity more often than Yoshi's Island Brawl.

In my mind, the support ghosts of Yoshi's Island are less of a defining feature of a stage compared to the transformations that occur on Delfino and Castle Siege.
Why is it more normal for a stage not to transform than for it to transform? I go into every match with a gameplan based on how the stage is laid out and what it will do whether I'm about to play on Final Destination or WarioWare, and I have no intrinsic bias that one style of play is somehow more "natural" or "right" than another. I'd generally consider it disruptive based on how much stuff the stage does will force me to deviate from my gameplan and how severe the consequences are if my need to go off-script plays out badly. A stage like Castle Siege is the least disruptive possible type of stage since it does precisely the same thing every time (you could argue there's a minor possible issue in the semi-random variation of load times between forms, but I suspect that will be a non-issue in smash 4 and it was minor in the first place). A stage like Delfino or Rainbow Road is a bit more disruptive I guess, but I consider it a very small issue as even if I don't know precisely what it will do I know everything it could do and have a lot of ability to plan ahead as I play for every possibility and even more it doesn't hurt me too much if I'm caught off-guard by a transformation being picked or the shy guys coming or whatever. A stage like Yoshi's Island is really worse since I can't really plan ahead for the ghost; it might or might not come, and that Little Mac I pushed off stage might or might not live (or Ness might randomly die when it blocks his Pk Thunder!) which is a difference of a full stock in who is winning from a sudden surprise event. YI also summons random shy guys which is usually not that big of a deal, but when you're playing Duck Hunt and one of them gets in the way of your can which lets your opponent get in on you for free, you really do care. I think players can be tough and can handle YI, but I definitely agree with the crowd that says it's the most disruptive commonly legal stage (and is more disruptive than most but not all commonly banned stages) and I shed no tears that it probably won't be on Wii U.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
Here are my ideas:

Legal:
  • Final Destination
  • Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Prism Tower
Counterpick:
  • Arena Ferox
  • Any Omega stage that has been banned in normal form (only these, so even competitive players get the full experience)

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Definitely Legal

Battlefield
Final Destination
Mushroom Kingdom U
Skyloft
Pilotwings
Town and City
Smashville
Halberd
Castle Siege

Good Candidates (will need to check mechanics in-game)

Kalos Pokemon League
Orbital Gate

Questionable Candidates (will need to check mechanics in-game)

Pyrosphere
Mario Galaxy
Great Cave Offensive
Gamer
Windy Hill
Garden of Hope

Walk-off Tier (clearly decent other than having walk-offs)

Coliseum
Fitness Room
Onett

Awful Stages

Boxing Ring
Gaur Plains
Wily's Castle
Palutena's Temple

I've been a long time stage liberal, but to be honest, the more I play smash 3DS, the more I find myself hoping my random stage picks Battlefield or Final Destination (Prism Tower, Rainbow Road, and Tortimer's make me happy too). 3DS has a decent number of fair stages, but they're by and large just such tedious stages to play. I still think it's in everyone's best interest to have a lot of stages legal on 3DS, but the main reason is that it's better overall practice for the Wii U version which will have diverse legal stages that are actually good.

Why is it more normal for a stage not to transform than for it to transform? I go into every match with a gameplan based on how the stage is laid out and what it will do whether I'm about to play on Final Destination or WarioWare, and I have no intrinsic bias that one style of play is somehow more "natural" or "right" than another. I'd generally consider it disruptive based on how much stuff the stage does will force me to deviate from my gameplan and how severe the consequences are if my need to go off-script plays out badly. A stage like Castle Siege is the least disruptive possible type of stage since it does precisely the same thing every time (you could argue there's a minor possible issue in the semi-random variation of load times between forms, but I suspect that will be a non-issue in smash 4 and it was minor in the first place). A stage like Delfino or Rainbow Road is a bit more disruptive I guess, but I consider it a very small issue as even if I don't know precisely what it will do I know everything it could do and have a lot of ability to plan ahead as I play for every possibility and even more it doesn't hurt me too much if I'm caught off-guard by a transformation being picked or the shy guys coming or whatever. A stage like Yoshi's Island is really worse since I can't really plan ahead for the ghost; it might or might not come, and that Little Mac I pushed off stage might or might not live (or Ness might randomly die when it blocks his Pk Thunder!) which is a difference of a full stock in who is winning from a sudden surprise event. YI also summons random shy guys which is usually not that big of a deal, but when you're playing Duck Hunt and one of them gets in the way of your can which lets your opponent get in on you for free, you really do care. I think players can be tough and can handle YI, but I definitely agree with the crowd that says it's the most disruptive commonly legal stage (and is more disruptive than most but not all commonly banned stages) and I shed no tears that it probably won't be on Wii U.
Why is Gaur Plains awful? On the 3DS it works fine. There are no stage hazards and you can't walk off camp. The only problem might be lower percent kills, since the kills are closer to 85% than 100%, and the abnormal layout. I don't think those are reasons to ban a stage, just to make it a counter pick. And Mushroom Kingdom's U problem is the falling ice, but I don't think thats a reason to immediately ban it.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
From the demo, we saw that Mushroom Kingdom U was great (and I have absolutely full confidence in it)
Are you sure? Because from what I've seen from e3 videos, there's a random chance that a giant geyser of water shoots up from anywhere on the stage, even right in the middle of it, and also a random chance that this geyser carries a big spiky fish. Also giant icicles can fall from the sky that freeze whoever they land on.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
This is the list I came up with in another thread:

Starters:

FD
Battlefield
Prism Tower

Counterpick:

Yoshi's Island
Arena Ferox
Tomodachi Life

It's not the best stagelist ever, but I think the stages here are all fairly viable and it's the best variety we're going to get on 3DS.

The big question, of course, is what to do with Omega Mode and DSR. If we count every Omega Mode stage as a separate level, then you can effectively pick an FD-like stage every time. It would also make stage striking really weird. I think if we're allowing it, Omega Mode has to be counted as one stage for the purpose of strikes and DSR. Alternatively, we could just disallow Omega Mode altogether as FD pretty much does the same thing anyway.

Last edited:

Torn_Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1203-9336-3774
This is the list I came up with in another thread:

Starters:

FD
Battlefield
Prism Tower

Counterpick:

Yoshi's Island
Arena Ferox
Tomodachi Life

It's not the best stagelist ever, but I think the stages here are all fairly viable and it's the best variety we're going to get on 3DS.

The big question, of course, is what to do with Omega Mode and DSR. If we count every Omega Mode stage as a separate level, then you can effectively pick an FD-like stage every time. It would also make stage striking really weird. I think if we're allowing it, Omega Mode has to be counted as one stage for the purpose of strikes and DSR. Alternatively, we could just disallow Omega Mode altogether as FD pretty much does the same thing anyway.
Gonna repost what I posted in another thread:

I think the best way to do it is to have Final Destination and Omega Form be two sides of the same coin. Final Destination is the side that is a starter stage, while Omega Form is the counter pick side, where whoever counter-picks it can choose whichever Omega form they want or random. So you'll never have the option to strike both of them, just one of them since Final Destination is starter stage ONLY while Omega Form is counter-pick ONLY (Final Destination being included as a choice in Omega Form)

So in a set, the stage selection would look like this:

GAME 1

STAGE SELECTION POOL
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Striking happens, etc, etc, Game 1 happens

GAME 2

STAGE SELECTION POOL
Battlefield
Any Omega Form (chosen by counter-picker)
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Arena Ferox
Reset Bomb Forest
Prism Tower
Jungle Japes(?)

Stage selection happens, etc, etc, if Omega Form is chosen then the counter-picker can go to whatever Omega Form stage they want, Game 2 happens

Then in Game 3/4/5, this process is repeated

So in essence, Omega Form replaces Final Destination in any game after Game 1, so you would never have the option/disadvantage of being able to strike both. You can still pick Final Destination if you pick an Omega Form stage.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
That's an interesting way to handle it. Omega Mode does have some slight properties that can give your character an edge compared to normal FD (ie, walls, longer blast zones, sharkable platforms, etc), so it does seem kind of like a counterpick.

I really don't agree on Jungle Japes, though. It's a very camp and random gimp-heavy stage that most people seem to hate. I would definitely take Tomodachi Life over that. Reset Bomb is just a worse Arena Ferox IMO, the second form is pretty lame.

Unbounded

Smash Cadet
So I'm starting to take a bit of a look at the Megaman stage and I'm finding that it seems to be relatively predictable. (YD spawns at what appears to be similar times with similar attack patterns, in one of 3-4 places the platforms seem to operate in a similar manner so far.)

Should I bother continuing with any sort of analysis on this thing, or is the Yellow Devil too disruptive regardless? I feel since it seems to operate on a somewhat rigid attack pattern it could potentially be utilized in higher level play, but I'm unsure if its mere existence would completely disrupt the flow of the battle.

EDIT: Actually, scrap that entire thought. I'm finding that it gets more fierce the more you kill it and it respawns on a set timer as well.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
The hazard created by killing YD is also super powerful,, akin to a halberd laser that only affects one character.

Unbounded

Smash Cadet
The hazard created by killing YD is also super powerful,, akin to a halberd laser that only affects one character.
Well yeah, but I feel you're given significant warning with the entire screen freezing and flashing lights and such. That's pretty subjective though.

The real big problem is the stage alternates between platforms and YD around every 30-45s. (I haven't gone ahead and gotten the exact number yet.) That's WAY too frequent for such a switch and the second problem is that the YD spawns every single time regardless of whether or not it's already been destroyed.

If the cycles were bigger, like maybe 2 minutes for every change , (YD could only spawn twice), then we'd be in much better shape.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Well yeah, but I feel you're given significant warning with the entire screen freezing and flashing lights and such. That's pretty subjective though.
It still confers pretty crazy stage control though, since the opponent literally can't go to that side of the stage while YD is blowing up.

Also, what is the specific property about Wily Castle that we even want? Besides YD and occasional platforms, it's not too different from FD.

Last edited:

Unbounded

Smash Cadet
It still confers pretty crazy stage control though, since the opponent literally can't go to that side of the stage while YD is blowing up.

Also, what is the specific property about Wily Castle that we even want? Besides YD and occasional platforms, it's not too different from FD.
The platforms are fantastic.

Currently I count at least 3 sets of unique platforms which could all be very interesting and fun to play on.

Torn_Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1203-9336-3774
That's an interesting way to handle it. Omega Mode does have some slight properties that can give your character an edge compared to normal FD (ie, walls, longer blast zones, sharkable platforms, etc), so it does seem kind of like a counterpick.

I really don't agree on Jungle Japes, though. It's a very camp and random gimp-heavy stage that most people seem to hate. I would definitely take Tomodachi Life over that. Reset Bomb is just a worse Arena Ferox IMO, the second form is pretty lame.
That's why there's a (?) next to Jungle Japes. It's not really a definitive stage list, it was more made to show a solution to the Final Destination/Omega Form dilemma.

Last edited:

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
It should be a =( instead. Why they brought that stage back is beyond me.
Its just Sakurai having some fun, considering how he based competitive playing off of Japan's competitive community, who basically only play FD.

Noa.

Smash Master
I'm not saying that it's more normal for a stage to not transform. I'm just saying that the transformations on those stages will affect the match more significantly than support ghosts on YI. Matches can be played on YI that are not affected at all by support ghosts or shy guys. Player's won't run into them if they're playing mostly onstage and going offstage for short periods of time.

The transformations will heavily affect the match for both players no matter what. You can't run from them or avoid them. Each way you play on the different transformations requires a completely new approach to the situation. I need several game plans and approaches to play on Delfino Plaza to its fullest extent. I have to take a lot more factors into consideration when playing on Delfino and Castle Siege than on Yoshi's Islands.

If you don't plan for the ghosts or the shy guys, odds are that it's not going to affect your match too much. Shy guys are only really significant in matchups that have characters relying on projectiles. And a shy guy blocking a laser or two over three stocks is not too game changing in most matches.

It is difficult to plan for them though, due to their random nature. While planning your gameplay on Castle Siege and Delfino requires more thought and time, you can count on your plans reliably when you've made them.

I suppose it's personal preference as to what you find more disruptive; a random event that while it almost never affects the match, has the opportunity to heavily swing a match, or an event that will always heavily affect the flow of the match but can be planned for easily due to its constant pattern.

T-block

B2B TST
I call bull**** on the claim that Yoshi's "almost never affects the match".

It messes with the players ALL THE GODDAMN TIME.

I had plans to make a video compilation of all the stupid stuff that happened on YI:B in Brawl. I never got around to it, but I wish I had =(

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer

The real big problem is the stage alternates between platforms and YD around every 30-45s. (I haven't gone ahead and gotten the exact number yet.) That's WAY too frequent for such a switch and the second problem is that the YD spawns every single time regardless of whether or not it's already been destroyed.

If the cycles were bigger, like maybe 2 minutes for every change , (YD could only spawn twice), then we'd be in much better shape.
Yeah, try dealing with playing against strong Thoron Robin who gets a free charge to a move that will kill you at 70 every time the Yellow Devil blows.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I apologize in advance if this is already known but all of the omega version have the same horizontal bast zones and are all the same stage length. I believe the reason why people don't think this is true is because the camera fix distance isn't the same.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I call bull**** on the claim that Yoshi's "almost never affects the match".

It messes with the players ALL THE GODDAMN TIME.

I had plans to make a video compilation of all the stupid stuff that happened on YI:B in Brawl. I never got around to it, but I wish I had =(
I wanna add to this that the random Shy guys can someone helps characters with mix-ups like Shiek's bouncing fish off a shy guy.

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Wow. I'm personally surprised by how so many TO's are calling for ridiculously small legal stage lists. (I feel the same way about the two-stock obsession, but that's a different discussion.) Maybe I'm just a stage liberal, but I personally think that there are more viable stages in the game than most people give credit for. Here's my personal stage list for any tournaments I'll personally TO.

Starter

Battlefield
Final Destination (+ all Omega stages are considered one universal stage)
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Arena Ferox
Tortimer Island

Counterpick

Prism Tower
Tomodachi Life
Rainbow Road
Reset Bomb Forest
Brinstar (Melee)

Unsure of Yet

Corneria (Melee)
Spirit Tracks
Mute City
Pac-Maze

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
The thing is a lot of the viable stages are very similar to other stages, just worse. Rainbow Road, for example, is just worse Prism Tower. It's probably technically viable, but why would you want the cars when you can have basically the same stage with no cars?

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
The thing is a lot of the viable stages are very similar to other stages, just worse. Rainbow Road, for example, is just worse Prism Tower. It's probably technically viable, but why would you want the cars when you can have basically the same stage with no cars?
Small nuances do make a difference, and if for whatever reason, I felt like RR's transformations played more to my favor (like say, I'm Jigglypuff or Peach, and I can just float above the cars with no consequence. Unfair? It's called COUNTERpick for a reason.) then I'd choose RR.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Wow. I'm personally surprised by how so many TO's are calling for ridiculously small legal stage lists. (I feel the same way about the two-stock obsession, but that's a different discussion.) Maybe I'm just a stage liberal, but I personally think that there are more viable stages in the game than most people give credit for. Here's my personal stage list for any tournaments I'll personally TO.

Starter

Battlefield
Final Destination (+ all Omega stages are considered one universal stage)
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Arena Ferox
Tortimer Island

Counterpick

Prism Tower
Tomodachi Life
Rainbow Road
Reset Bomb Forest
Brinstar (Melee)

Unsure of Yet

Corneria (Melee)
Spirit Tracks
Mute City
Pac-Maze
Spirit Tracks is almost good, but once in a while, the bomb train will go and blow up the entire stage, killing everyone. Pac-Maze is fairly large, has roofs, but the main problem is that the pellet power-ups spawning location is random. I'd definitely put Tomodachi Life over Tortimer's Island as a neutral, because tortimer's Island has a random stage layout and a bunch of items that come in. I'd personally just ban Tortimer's Island all together since the random bomb fruits are a real problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom