• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St. Paul Biweeklies!

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Luigi
Ice Climbers
Samus

I'm mostly going to use Luigi. Considering that I WD constantly, I like to play aerial and he was my favorite SSB character.

BlueWolf25

Smash Journeyman
Considering that I WD constantly, I like to play aerial...
Problem is, those two characteristics alone would also place you as a Marth player. Probably other characters too.

A more in depth look at your playstyle is probably a good idea before committing to an entirely new character.

Such as:

Would you want to play a more technical or a more mindgame oriented character?

Would you be willing to put in more effort to compete with your character than you would have to with other characters? (ex. Learning Fox vs. learning Sheik)

Would you rather deal high damage combos or focus more on chip damage?

Do you want to play aggressively or more defensively/reactionary?

How important is a solid projectile game to you?

How important is edgeguarding to you?

Would you be comfortable having a large part of your game revolve around grabs?

Would you be comfortable having a large part of your game revolve around anticipating the opponent? (ex. tech chasing)

Do you want to have to worry about spacing and avoiding shieldgrabs?

Would you mind putting out extra effort to avoid a character with a strong projectile game? (i.e. Falco, Samus) (For example, Ganondorf has a much harder time dealing with projectiles than, say, Marth.)

And, most importantly, how important is the tier placement of your chosen character?

There are obviously more than that, but this is what I could come up with off the top of my head. :ohwell:

Seanson

Smash Ace
no, but down here at college is a smash friend of mine that is the only person i can play against. luckily, he's pretty good (I win about half the time), and he mains luigi

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Well I just started playing Luigi yesterday, so I dunno if it's a good Luigi. I'm sure I could get some tips from friendlies though.

I already knew how to use him, I just never put him to good use until now. I've got the basics down and some of his tricks, but I need to dsmash and nair more.

I would really like to learn Falco though.

GreenBunny9999

Smash Apprentice
Falco blows,but shiek is just as homo worthy, anyone know about platform canceling arials (ex. dropping below then timing it so it cancels right on the platform) is it useful or practical??? SDM, Bluewolf know something

James Sparrow

Smash Master
good luck making practical use of the SWD with only 40% efficiency. and i'm assuming that's hgiher than normal since you got excited about it :p... SWD should not be the basis of your game if you play samus.

Falco blows,but shiek is just as homo worthy, anyone know about platform canceling arials (ex. dropping below then timing it so it cancels right on the platform) is it useful or practical??? SDM, Bluewolf know something
yes it's useful... eighteen spikes got pretty good at platform canceling fair's with doc over and over again. he used that pretty effectively a few times on me.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Unless he wants to be like Phanna.

But 56k, if you're going to be Samus that'll be great. There aren't a lot of Samus players in MN except for that one guy that was at my last tournament. Whatever happen to him anyways, I think he came with Eci4.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master

But 56k, if you're going to be Samus that'll be great. There aren't a lot of Samus players in MN except for that one guy that was at my last tournament. Whatever happen to him anyways, I think he came with Eci4.
I dunno, there's a guy in my dorms named Perry who plays an amazing Samus. Maybe that's him. He currently has a huge fro, not sure if that helps.

Also, I just want to know that I am able to SWD, and have a good chance of pulling it off if I want to. I like to learn every aspect of a character. Otherwise I feel like I'm not using them to their full potential. I think it's good to know everything that a character is capable of doing and how it can be done. That knowledge helps me play as them and play against them.

mrray55430

Smash Apprentice
Hey Can i come too? i live in Minneapolis. Or is it a private function? Even though i just joined and it says im a noob or whatever i am pretty good. everyone i played against i beat pretty bad so im looking for a challenge and cant wait till the smashfest and tourament that you guys are having. Just warning you me and my partner can pretty much take on anybody. no joke.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
Also, I just want to know that I am able to SWD, and have a good chance of pulling it off if I want to. I like to learn every aspect of a character. Otherwise I feel like I'm not using them to their full potential. I think it's good to know everything that a character is capable of doing and how it can be done. That knowledge helps me play as them and play against them.
so next on your list can be playing as fox and falco and learning to jump cancel shines and shine again before leaving the ground over and over again so basically if you touch anyone's shield it's auto-broken.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Hey Can i come too? i live in Minneapolis. Or is it a private function? Even though i just joined and it says im a noob or whatever i am pretty good. everyone i played against i beat pretty bad so im looking for a challenge and cant wait till the smashfest and tourament that you guys are having. Just warning you me and my partner can pretty much take on anybody. no joke.
No it's not private. You're welcome to come. I'm in Minneapolis too, at the U on M.

Eci4

Smash Ace

I dont think he came with me unless you are talking about ben... the guy who teamed with joemotion played Samus... dunno who he was tho...

actually I picked up samus though...

DarkRoom

Smash Ace
This should be funny. Why am I like the only one in history to go to my first tournament and expect to get my *** beat?

James Sparrow

Smash Master
I did 11 in a row with Fox, but I have to hold my fingers in a weird position that's not suitable for playing. :psycho:
exactly... i can do it too if i put my forefinger on b and middle on x, but it's next to impossible to do it in the context of normal play... aka only bombsoldier.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
What about down B, control stick up, down B, control stick up, etc...

I got 4 that way...

This should be funny. Why am I like the only one in history to go to my first tournament and expect to get my *** beat?
Lol that's how I felt too. I was a noob and I knew that there would be people way better than me. I had just started WDing a week before the first biweekly...

XD plus I got pwned by Perry's Samus the week before.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
you'll have to show me your 4 in a row.

i've managed 1, using the control stick. if you could do 4 in a row consistantly i'd be really impressed.

GreenBunny9999

Smash Apprentice
you signup before it starts just show up
Infinate shines are easierif you use Y although your thumb will be useless after.

Uno

Smash Journeyman
man, when i came to my first tourney i was afraid of teflon and his 800+ post count. I played yoshii and got WoPed to death. now that was an eye opener.

i really hate to ask, it sounds so dumb, but its just to tempting. have you new guys ever played competitively? I guess a batter question would be, do you think l-canceling is a cheat? (i just kinda assume you can do it)

Top Bottom