• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

SamDvds

Smash Ace
it should be MELEEEEEEE THATS WHYYYY

actually i don't think either game is that good for just being a spectator, but I unsurprisingly prefer melee

SC and hopefully SC2 are freakin sick to watch though

hahahha and yeah

i just dont get that metagame ****.. espescially at an overall level. Sometimes i **** around with parts of metagame but to tackle it OVERALL = gosu
omg is there going to be SC2 at MLG..i would stay in st louis just for that i will MM ANYONE. i wreck ppl like Toyotas with Ivy :p

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
omg is there going to be SC2 at MLG..i would stay in st louis just for that i will MM ANYONE. i wreck ppl like Toyotas with Ivy :p
CS and SS react/punish I'm guessing.

I had a friend who would just do crouch games and throws with Yoshimitsu all day. Drove me bat$hit crazy

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
i cannot believe there is MLG brawl

what a ****ing joke

why the hell do you all do 1 dollar tournies youre all terrible even for brawlers hahahahahahahha

GOD I HATE YOUUUUU
Deku obviously not thinking at an overall metagame level.
it should be MELEEEEEEE THATS WHYYYY

actually i don't think either game is that good for just being a spectator, but I unsurprisingly prefer melee

SC and hopefully SC2 are freakin sick to watch though

hahahha and yeah

i just dont get that metagame ****.. espescially at an overall level. Sometimes i **** around with parts of metagame but to tackle it OVERALL = gosu

LMFAO

Nuris

Smash Lord
The thing is, when most people go to tournaments, they don't go because they're going to win money. So really when they're playing, that's not what's on the line. Your average tourney player generally attends for one or both of these reasons:

A) to play new people, or people they don't get to play very often, especially really good players

B) to try and place as well as possible

I guess the problem people have with these small $1 or even free tournies is that they don't get to play new players, and they don't really care about where they place, because in the end they don't think it really matters.

Personally, I'm just a casual player who has pretty much given up on trying to improve significantly at Brawl, but I enjoy your guys' company and the shenanigans that occur. Even during the small tournaments, it's hard to take my matches seriously with David humming Ke$ha while we play, or Corey constantly whispering "aim for the lips" into my ear. I think I would be more likely to play at 100% or close to it if someone just took me aside and asked me for some seriouslies (not that any of you would want those, lol).

Plus the $1 tournaments kinda make me sad because it feels like I have to pay my friends to play with me :(

Well, that's my

MetalMusicMan

I don't go to tournaments to win money, I go for the challenge and to meet new people / better myself and the scene. If I win money, that's just a nice bonus.

Personally, I don't see how a $1 fee does anything but make it seem "more official", but if people don't want to pay $1, I don't care. Like I said, I have done them with and without the $1 fee to see if people like it better one way or the other. It seems more like people just don't want to practice lately.

I mean, I'm probably one of the people who is least focused on the "money" aspect of it all. I've never done a money match in my life because I don't play for money. Like I said, I play for sport / challenge / competition / whatever. With that said, I don't have a problem paying an entry fee because it makes it seem like an "official event" or whatever. I don't see that as the same thing as money matching, which is more like gambling and a total waste of my time.

Tonight we did a free tournament with random unseeded brackets and I played like crap and SD'd like 4 times and got last place. lol. I don't care. If I had payed a dollar I still wouldn't care, practice is good. I just want to play and practice semi-seriously from time to time. ...though I can't say that I got any practice tonight because I just played like ****, lol.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
CS and SS react/punish I'm guessing.

I had a friend who would just do crouch games and throws with Yoshimitsu all day. Drove me bat$hit crazy
haha yep thats it...i mean if im playing someone bad i can set up for CS and SS anytime i want, but if its against someone who knows what they are doing I only try it if im 90% sure it will hit...trying to force an opening for them doesnt always work esp ppl who crouch..and causes me to lose matches i shouldlnt lol.

MetalMusicMan

so... you agree or disagree? or is that post unrelated? lol
I was saying that I don't really care either way, whether there's a $1 entry or not, as long as we do practice tournaments. I suggested it because it made sense to me and people initially seemed to like it, but if no one wants to do $1 entry then I don't care, we don't have to do it at all.

I just want people to practice on occasion. Yeah, obviously I have fun playing with the people I like / goofing off, we do that 99% of the time now and it's great. It's just nice to play seriously from time to time; I enjoy that just as much as goofing off. I enjoy assessing my failures or confirming that I am doing things right by running through the test of competition.

If more people will practice sets / tournament play a bit more often, then awesome. That's what should be happening, whether there is an entry fee or not.

Nuris

Smash Lord
Everyone with Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum should visit Rauleen from now to march 13th and to get a Gamestop Jirachi xD

On that matter, where/when do you work there, Rauleen?? :D

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
lol f that MLG does have Soul Calibur 4 but that one sucks imo

but starcraft the skill gap/barriers to entry are way too high

i'll stick to Big Game Hunters and FASTESTPOSSIBLEMAPEVER thank you very much

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
Everyone with Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum should visit Rauleen from now to march 13th and to get a Gamestop Jirachi xD

On that matter, where/when do you work there, Rauleen?? :D
Its so sad. Everyone used to play pokemon. now I can't get a casual battle to save my life.

I already have one Jirachi, but he could use a friend :laugh: need a shiny one.

Nuris

Smash Lord
Its so sad. Everyone used to play pokemon. now I can't get a casual battle to save my life.

I already have one Jirachi, but he could use a friend :laugh: need a shiny one.
yesss let's play
do you have an OU team or do you play like super casual and stuff.

Book!

Smash Journeyman
I didn't think you would want me ruining your good name (face) on the internet. With your blessing I will change it back.

Nuris

Smash Lord
change it back if you liked it :D
it's always been my dream to become a meme

Book!

Smash Journeyman
So what is the deal with SMYM? Are we looking for housing or just driving there and back? Obviously I have no say in this, since I am not driving.

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
yesss let's play
do you have an OU team or do you play like super casual and stuff.
well it was OU like 3 years ago but I dunno what's changed since then

also I'm too lazy to level them all to 100

also, Elullulbllblblbl

Nuris

Smash Lord
umm if it was gen. IV I think the only major change is Garchomp is Ubers now, but I don't know when that was instituted or if anything else has changed since then.

I don't have a team set up but I will gladly find my games and whip one up if you wanna battlezzzzzz :D :D :D

Tmacc

Smash Lord
PHIL!
I will battle my D/P team! Let's do it!

No items.
No Ubers
Final Destination.

Umbreon, Metagross, Heracross, Gengar, Blissey, and Dragonite. All lvl 100 and Ev'd. God, I'm a nerd.

Battle on. :D

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
umm if it was gen. IV I think the only major change is Garchomp is Ubers now, but I don't know when that was instituted or if anything else has changed since then.

I don't have a team set up but I will gladly find my games and whip one up if you wanna battlezzzzzz :D :D :D
what do you mean whip one up? pokemon takes a lot of time to craft a team better than 5 bidoofs and an electabuzz

next time we play smash bring your ds. TMACC too but its no fun if someone has significantly overleveled pokes over the other.

I think I have one pokemon with ev training and a "good" moveset. And its Garchomp. :(

Nuris

Smash Lord
IV breeding was too hard and boring that's why I quit Pokemon :'(

but EV training is easy, and we can do level 100 battles automatically. So, it's not so hard to whip one up, just level some find some goldeens and make em fight magikarps AMIRITE

MentokJebus

Smash Journeyman
IV breeding was too hard and boring that's why I quit Pokemon :'(

but EV training is easy, and we can do level 100 battles automatically. So, it's not so hard to whip one up, just level some find some goldeens and make em fight magikarps AMIRITE
at least magikarps evolve into something useful

PEEF!

Smash Hero
PHIL!
I will battle my D/P team! Let's do it!

No items.
No Ubers
Final Destination.

Umbreon, Metagross, Heracross, Gengar, Blissey, and Dragonite. All lvl 100 and Ev'd. God, I'm a nerd.

Battle on. :D
That team'd get wiped by my RD squad, as long as my Lucidolo has Focus Punch

Nuris

Smash Lord
hey guys i dont know much about pokemon but i think ive got a pretty good team
spinda
luvdisc
unown
ditto
castform
seaking
:D